2019 Odell Reports - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
kokaneepoweroregon

Default 2019 Odell Reports

Happy New Year everyone. Let's make 2019 a great year. Looking forward to seeing the reports to start coming in. Remember to report your catches. We will be having 4 derbies this year.

Tight Lines,

KPO Board of Directors

kokaneepoweroregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #2
boatman
Tuna!

Default Re: 2019 Odell Reports

Closed because of Bull trout B##s. Open the 4th weekend in April, Will be there
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Opens the 22nd of April
chukardave1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Closed because of Bull trout B##s. Open the 4th weekend in April, Will be there[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/twocents.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/smilie_flagge13.gif[/IMG]
Has anyone ever caught a Bull Trout in ODell? Or seen them spawn in Trapper or Odell creek? I’d like to see one. I’d like to catch a some big Rainbow out of Odell and Crescent.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Macgyver
Steelhead

2 years ago we caught a 18"+/- bull trout out in front of Odell creek, it was a surprise and purdy.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
LGB
Tuna!

In 30 years I have only hooked one Bull trout and talked to few other people who have.
The last report I read about them in Odell is that ODFW biologist "thinks" there are less then 12 breeding pairs. Over the years they have spent a fortune trying to "save" them with out any appreciable results. Based on information I have read from Wyoming they believe that Macs out compete the Bulls. They have virtually eliminated the Macs from a couple of their lakes and the Bulls are coming back there. So when is ODFW going to catch on and quit wasting our money on saving the Bulls in Odell?

I just love ODFW's irrational thinking about these things. A number of years ago they had the Forest service close several campsites along Trapper Creek to avoid campers disturbing the spawning Bull trout . Now as I understand it Bulls spawn in late Oct to Dec. The Trapper Creek campground is closed at the latest on Oct 15th and from early Sept on there very few campers there anyway.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #7
Red_Kokanee
Steelhead

Drove by Odell Lake 4 times in the last few days, once in a white out snow storm, once in thick fog, once at night, and today about 5 pm. Pictures are from today. 1st from east end (Odell Lake Resort), 2nd from viewpoint on highway, and 3rd from west end (Shelter Cove).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OdellLake_1637.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	721109   Click image for larger version

Name:	OdellLake_1641.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	721111   Click image for larger version

Name:	OdellLake_1642.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	721113  

Last edited by Red_Kokanee; 04-02-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Red_Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Kokanee View Post
Drove by Odell Lake 4 times in the last few days, once in a white out snow storm, once in thick fog, once at night, a today about 5 pm. Pictures are from today. 1st from east end (Odell Lake Resort), 2nd from viewpoint on highway, and 3rd from west end (Shelter Cove).
Thanks for the pics!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #9
shanem
Tuna!

Thanks for the update. We're staying at Shelter Cove April 25-28, be our first time there and fishing Odell.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
Thanks for the update. We're staying at Shelter Cove April 25-28, be our first time there and fishing Odell.

Take LOTSA warm clothes and HOT coffee and a hard roll.............
HalibutZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
1pump
King Salmon

I'm heading up in about a month. Anybody know when Trapper or Princess Creek open?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
10-7
Tuna!

Shanem, Im staying at Crescent next door those same dates. Im going to hit Odell one of those days. Ill be in a Gray north river Ill wave if I see ya. Ive never fished Odell either but looking forward to it.
10-7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
jtj
Steelhead

Quote:
Bring some jigging gear. Usually that early in the year it’s a jigging show but you can get some trolling.
jtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
10-7
Tuna!

I was just going to ask that thank you.
10-7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #15
shanem
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-7 View Post
Shanem, Im staying at Crescent next door those same dates. Im going to hit Odell one of those days. Ill be in a Gray north river Ill wave if I see ya. Ive never fished Odell either but looking forward to it.
Sounds good. I'll be in the Alumaweld Talon with a Dachshund, Chihuahua and my wife.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
shanem
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj View Post
Bring some jigging gear. Usually that early in the year it’s a jigging show but you can get some trolling.
Yeah I got some jigs and will be setting up a couple of rods specifically for that and the rest for trolling. Never jigged for them before but read a few older STS articles about it so hopefully we'll get some.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #17
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtj View Post
Yeah I got some jigs and will be setting up a couple of rods specifically for that and the rest for trolling. Never jigged for them before but read a few older STS articles about it so hopefully we'll get some.
YouTube the lucky duck and get the low down on how to jig.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:40 AM   #18
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
YouTube the lucky duck and get the low down on how to jig.
I am surprised there are any Kokanee left with the Lucky Duck around !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 PM   #19
S Radke
Chromer

Any reports on princess or sunset ramp accessibility?
S Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #20
duckshot
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Radke View Post
Any reports on princess or sunset ramp accessibility?

Hopefully someone can give a more recent report ... however, I was up there last Wednesday and both parks were closed with the swing gates almost completely burried in snow. - Johnny
duckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #21
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Got a report as of Sunday princess and sunset were both closed
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #22
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Looks like the Lucky Duck crew fished (jigging) out of Odell Lake Resort on the opener...fish were reported to be 11 to 12 inches...imagine launching will be a issue until those public ramps get opened.
Umpquanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #23
Ryantoy25
Steelhead

Any recent reports on princess creek boat launch or anyone have recent pictures since the opener?
Ryantoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #24
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantoy25 View Post
Any recent reports on princess creek boat launch or anyone have recent pictures since the opener?
Couple of feet of snow at the gate.
1nutinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #25
LGB
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
Couple of feet of snow at the gate.
I have been told that Princess Creek will open May 5th. I assume they will clear the ramp if it still has snow.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #26
shanem
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB View Post
I have been told that Princess Creek will open May 5th. I assume they will clear the ramp if it still has snow.
If they had a sense of humor they'd put a shovel and a sign at the gate that says "Ramp Opens when you finish shoveling the snow. Thanks for the assistance."
Old 04-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #27
Fishindude88
Steelhead

I would be willing to put in a few hours. Heck! I’ll even bring my own shovel!
"Come follow me, I will make you fishers of men" Matthew 4:19
Fishindude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #28
Fishsizzle
Chromer

I have 2 snowblowers, I’d spend a day
Old 04-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #29
shanem
Tuna!

Trip report:

This was our first trip up to Odell and Shelter Cove, lots of snow still around.

- Friday 4/26: Water temp 39-40 degrees. Melissa got one kokanee jigging about 2 minutes after we started. I lost one right at the boat, found a number of schools but they were moving fast and not many biters that we could get on. Fish were at all kinds of depths (30-40 and 60-80) and seemed like they were moving up and down a lot. Morning air temp was around 35 got up to the mid 50s during the day.

- Saturday 4/27: Got 4 for the day. Again water cold 39-40 bit windy. Schools moving fast and it was hard to find and stay on them.

- Sunday 4/28: On the water at 5:30a and a strong east wind was already blowing. Whitecaps by 6:30a were called it around 7:30a as we couldn't find any biters and waves were getting worse.

When we checked out at Shelter Cove I looked at the whiteboard they have where people write reports. Lots of people saying "none, windy AF, no fish, couple bites" so I guess our 5 were good considering. Still beats going to work.

BTW... The dock is still in the parking lot over at Princess Creek. We cruised over there to see how things looked.

Last edited by shanem; 04-29-2019 at 11:41 AM.
shanem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #30
EasyOregon
Chromer

Quote:
Trip report:

This was our first trip up to Odell and Shelter Cove, lots of snow still around.

- Friday 4/26: Water temp 39-40 degrees. Melissa got one kokanee jigging about 2 minutes after we started. I lost one right at the boat, found a number of schools but they were moving fast and not many biters that we could get on. Fish were at all kinds of depths (30-40 and 60-80) and seemed like they were moving up and down a lot. Morning air temp was around 35 got up to the mid 50s during the day.

- Saturday 4/27: Got 4 for the day. Again water cold 39-40 bit windy. Schools moving fast and it was hard to find and stay on them.

- Sunday 4/28: On the water at 5:30a and a strong east wind was already blowing. Whitecaps by 6:30a were called it around 7:30a as we couldn't find any biters and waves were getting worse.

When we checked out at Shelter Cove I looked at the whiteboard they have where people write reports. Lots of people saying "none, windy AF, no fish, couple bites" so I guess our 5 were good considering. Still beats going to work.

BTW... The dock is still in the parking lot over at Princess Creek. We cruised over there to see how things looked.

Thank you for the report, much needed!
Old 04-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #31
SouthernCharm
Tuna!

The biting fish seemed to be in the 25-40 ft depth with little morning or evening jumpers. Electronic pays the biggest dividends. Garmin panopic and livescope kept us on fish all day.
SouthernCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #32
Ryantoy25
Steelhead

Latest report from lucky duck

Hot off the press, report from the lake. It looks like it is finally coming on, the fish were jumping this morning and limits were caught. The water is still cold but they are starting to get aggressive towards jigs.
Also the report from the west end is that it's a mess. Worst conditions in 4 decades. No docks, no parking, ramp needs repair and still lots of snow. The folks there are very unhappy. Watch for calm winds and get on the water early. Fish on! We will be heading up soon.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #33
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Latest report from lucky duck

Hot off the press, report from the lake. It looks like it is finally coming on, the fish were jumping this morning and limits were caught. The water is still cold but they are starting to get aggressive towards jigs.
Also the report from the west end is that it's a mess. Worst conditions in 4 decades. No docks, no parking, ramp needs repair and still lots of snow. The folks there are very unhappy. Watch for calm winds and get on the water early. Fish on! We will be heading up soon.
What do you mean by the mess at the west end? Shelter Cove? Trapper Creek? Elsewhere?
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #34
Ryantoy25
Steelhead

Not my post this was from lucky duck on Facebook so I have no clue havent been up there this year. Maybe someone that has been up there and say
Old 05-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #35
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Not my post this was from lucky duck on Facebook so I have no clue havent been up there this year. Maybe someone that has been up there and say
Thanks for responding.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #36
Nebulous
Steelhead

Was a bit concerned by earlier post and were passing through that way today, thought we better have a look.
First we started at the launch, it appears to be in fine shape with lots of boats using it. Parking has always been tight for day users, and when you consider that five launch's on the lake, only Shelter Cove and Odell lake lodge are open (maybe sunset as well) that is going to make things a bit crowded for now.
Swung by the resort, didn't see a single unhappy face, matter of fact everyone seemed quite cheerful. The place was hopping with customers and there appeared to be a full staff on duty. The fish cleaning station seemed busy, boats were tied up at dock, it seemed like buisness as usual.
They have the restaurant open and are putting out a really good burger. Saw some friends that we hadn't seen in a while, shared a meal and had a nice visit.
Looking forward to being up there in a couple of weeks and having a comfortable stay
Nebulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #37
Ragde
Steelhead

Stopped at the west end resort Wednesday 5/1. I would say the "mess" began just above Dexter Lake. Evidence of the damage caused by the snow storm a few weeks ago stretched along many miles of Hwy. 58. It appeared that hundreds of trees had fallen across the road. Piles of logs and debris along side the road and many sections of the metal railings are in the process of being replaced. Slide areas are still being cleaned up. Several road crews had traffic stopped for periods of time. So it was no surprise that Trapper Creek and the resort both have a lot of cleanup work ahead as well.

So what did we find at the campgrounds? The road into Trapper creek was still blocked by a couple feet of snow. At Shelter Cove, we found the roads to the store and to the boat ramp clear. The road into the sites behind the store is open with many of the sites ready to go. Other sites still have snow and/or debris that needs to be cleared. They are working on it. We counted about a half dozen boat trailers and a few boats moored at the dock. Not all of the docks are in place yet. The winter clearly took a toll....no fault of the owners or management. We met a couple of new staff...friendly and hard workers they are.

As for a fishing report....the board indicated a few macs caught in the days prior. Very few Kokanee reported, but I am guessing that is due to little effort or lazy reporting. It was breezy and cold. I would not have wanted to be on the water that afternoon.

We made our reservations for 2020. Some of the choice sites we were considering are already booked so if you are going to be staying at the West end next year, you will want to make your reservations soon. We are looking forward to great times during our upcoming visits in 2019.
Ragde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #38
teamgobeavs
Steelhead

Thanks for the first hand reports. Going to be at Shelter Cove the next 6 weekends. I know the crew will be doing their best as always. Seems some folks have some sort of agenda this year.
teamgobeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #39
4labs
Chromer

Drove by today (Sat) on my way to Wick
Princess Creek gate closed but road plowed
Sunset Cove gate open
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #40
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4labs View Post
Drove by today (Sat) on my way to Wick
Princess Creek gate closed but road plowed
Sunset Cove gate open
The Forest Service website says that the Princess Creek boat ramp is open. So, is the gate closed but the boat ramp is open; or is it all open and active as of today? Thanks for any info.

Last edited by jacksalmon; 05-05-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #41
4labs
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
The Forest Service website says that the Princess Creek boat ramp is open. So, is the gate closed by the boat ramp is open; or is it all open and active as of today? Thanks for any info.
Gate was closed @5pm saw the same on their web
maybe open this week ,looks useable but at 70mph don't really know
Still a lot of snow on the ground but road and parking looked clear

Last edited by 4labs; 05-05-2019 at 08:54 AM.
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #42
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4labs View Post
Gate was closed @5pm saw the same on their web
maybe open this week ,looks useable but at 70mph don't really know
Still a lot of snow on the ground but road and parking looked clear
Thanks, but that was yesterday, I wonder if they are all in as of today. Hard to believe they would have some employee out there early Sunday a.m. to open the gate. But, there have been bigger surprises.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #43
jtj
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgobeavs View Post
Seems some folks have some sort of agenda this year.
Would love to know the behind scenes about the two different guides that moved to the East end and throw a little shade at Shelter.
jtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #44
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

According to the Deschutes National Forest as of Monday, 5/6, the Princess Creek boat ramp is not open for use.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #45
Ryantoy25
Steelhead

Took a drive from eugene today. Shelter cove open. Trapper creek closed. Princess creek closed looks like they are about to open. East end launch open
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190507_133127_1557274198483.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	723213   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_134717_1557274236904.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	723215   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_134754_1557274944916.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	723217  
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #46
killer
Steelhead

Anyone know where I can buy Lucky Duck jigs?
killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #47
shanem
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer View Post
Anyone know where I can buy Lucky Duck jigs?

I saw them at Shelter Cove store when we stayed there opening weekend. Not sure where else sells them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #48
M combs
Steelhead

Dave jones may sell em outta his little shop in eugene...the shop is in westside glass on bailey hill road
M combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #49
markg
Steelhead

Oregon Rod Reel and Tackle in Eugene had a few the other day.
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #50
hersheyk1
Steelhead

Find them on the Lucky Duck web site
hersheyk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #51
Ryantoy25
Steelhead

Any recent reports?
Old 05-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #52
duckshot
Steelhead

Fished Odell last Wednesday the 8th with my buddy Dan. Princess Creek was still closed so we launched at Sunset Cove. I prefer trolling to jigging so that is what we stayed with for the day. Water temp was 40-41 and wind stayed faily low till after noon and then wasn't really all that bad. We caught 20 before 11 am and nothing after that. Most of the fish we caught was in the 0-20 foot depth. We saw quite a few schools on the electronics down around 50 feet but couldn't get them to play much. Most of the fish were caught from Princess Creek to the west. - Johnny
duckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #53
Lance K
Coho

Three of us fished Sat. 5/11. Put in at Sunset. Princess Creek is still closed. Says it will open on the 17th on their site. Docks are still in the parking lot. We cast to jumpers on a perfect flat lake first off. Chased them around off the viewing area on East end. Put about 15 in the boat. Wind came up about 10:30, so we went to the West end. I counted about 35 boats when we got there. Anchored in 115 feet with big schools under us. Used orange Nordics with tuna corn. put another 20 in the boat. Rumors of 12 to 14 inch fish were put to rest. No fish over 11 inches from top and bottom. Lots of nice fat 11 inchers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20190511_074513.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	723365   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190511_181551.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	723367  

Last edited by Lance K; 05-12-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Lance K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #54
teamgobeavs
Steelhead

Did our annual Mothers Day weekend at Shelter Cove. Fished Saturday and Sunday mornings. Our wife's did awesome. Almost 150 fish. All on the bottom in the west cove. 90 to 112 ft. One ounce jigs with tuna corn. Mostly pink and white jigs. Had good luck with orange also. Had one just over 12 inches. Average fish probably 10 to 11 inches. Weather was perfect. You know your lucky when your wife wants to go kokanee fishing for their special day!
teamgobeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #55
Fishindude88
Steelhead

We pretty much have the same report as Lance and teamgobeavers. Wife and I caught about 90 Friday-Sunday. We even got the granddaughters onto some fish! Sunday we spent a few hours searching a lot of the lake for kokes that were not in the west end. Nothing found so we ended back west with the group of boats. At least the grandkids enjoyed the boat rides!
"Come follow me, I will make you fishers of men" Matthew 4:19
Fishindude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #56
schoenberg
Chromer

Did anyone get a water temp there at Odell last weekend?

This coming weekend looks a little less inviting with the weather and all. I was planning on camping at sunset friday and saturday nights.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #57
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Does the cold weather, rain, snow affect the bite at Odell??????
Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #58
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenberg View Post
Did anyone get a water temp there at Odell last weekend?

This coming weekend looks a little less inviting with the weather and all. I was planning on camping at sunset friday and saturday nights.
Was there last Saturday and surface temp was 46-48.
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #59
schoenberg
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin4life! View Post
Was there last Saturday and surface temp was 46-48.
Thank you.

I'll be camping in sunset cove friday and saturday, full report to follow. While the weather may or may not effect the bite I prefer not to jig for two fish in sideways wind and rain. I'll be on the water before dawn on saturday and fish until the bite turns off or the W kills the fun.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:24 AM   #60
1pump
King Salmon

I'll be at Princess next week. Weather looks a bit gnarly, but it always is this time of year.