New boat! Zinc question. - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 03-31-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
Mr.Kitch'nPass

Default New boat! Zinc question.

Finally got the new ride! They only put one zinc on the back. I ask the salesman he said that was sufficient. Doesn't seem right to me and it looks like there are mounts on the offshore bracket for more. Thoughts?

Official ifish car geek!
Daves Ifish Page
Mr.Kitch'nPass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #2
Fishplay
Ifish Nate

That one large zinc plus the ones on each motor would be sufficient If you don’t plan on mooring the boat. That said zincs are cheap and you do have pads to hang them on. So why not add a couple more.

Not sure why they didn’t use the pads behind the out board to mount the one you got. That looks like their only useful purpose. It’s not like you can place a transducer there.

But you could have placed a sensor where they did mount it.

Looks sweet. Enjoy the Salt Dave!

Member #472

2484 Sea Raider
Fishplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Default Re: New boat! Zinc question.

Ditch that bolt on zinc and get a weld on aluminum anode for the varied fishing you do. One 6" should be sufficient for that boat based on experience. If you change your mind and decide to do extended mooring somewhere salty maybe a bolt on might work if kept after and changed seasonally or as needed. Otherwise you'll get years out of a weld on aluminum for most people's uses.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
Can Man
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Ditch that bolt on zinc and get a weld on aluminum anode for the varied fishing you do. One 6" should be sufficient for that boat based on experience. If you change your mind and decide to do extended mooring somewhere salty maybe a bolt on might work if kept after and changed seasonally or as needed. Otherwise you'll get years out of a weld on aluminum for most people's uses.

Well said. That was my experience on my Northriver. The welded ones last a long time.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
seasport24
Chromer

The anode's placed on the NR's are already aluminum. I called and emailed NR and they said that Aluminum works better for their boats than zinc.

As someone already mentioned, it's a better all around anode than zinc. Navalloy is new aluminum based anode that I'm going to look into at some point.
seasport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:36 PM   #6
Fishplay
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Sounds interesting. Wire brushing and or replacing has always worked for me. I’ve been running Aluminum in the salt for over 20 years. Never the same boat longer than 5-6 years though.

I’m going to take closer look.

Getting aluminum fab work done locally isn’t as easy as it once was. Only guy I know of is SPENDY and I hate dragging the boat 50 miles away then having to retrieve it. Wish I could find someone near Willamina/Sheridan that was reasonably priced.
I had a guy do some fab work for me last year. Being generous about time it was a two day job that cost me $2700 and less than $200 was material.

Member #472

2484 Sea Raider
Old 03-31-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
Mr.Kitch'nPass

Quote:

Thanks Joe,
Is that something you can do for me?
Official ifish car geek!
Daves Ifish Page
Old 03-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
parker28
Steelhead

Quote:

I’d like to have two of those aluminum anodes weld on my 26ft Hewes. Where can I get it done? Thanks

John

Last edited by parker28; 03-31-2020 at 01:01 PM.
parker28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker28 View Post
I’d like to have two of those aluminum anodes weld on my 26ft Hewes. Where can I get it done? Thanks

John
I can do it or any aluminum welder if you bring the anodes to them most likely. They're about $20 each, online at many places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kitch'nPass View Post
Thanks Joe,
Is that something you can do for me?
I can, no rush if that's aluminum on there currently. Anytime this season or before next year just give me a shout. Can usuydo these while you wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishplay View Post
Sounds interesting. Wire brushing and or replacing has always worked for me. I’ve been running Aluminum in the salt for over 20 years. Never the same boat longer than 5-6 years though.

I’m going to take closer look.

Getting aluminum fab work done locally isn’t as easy as it once was. Only guy I know of is SPENDY and I hate dragging the boat 50 miles away then having to retrieve it. Wish I could find someone near Willamina/Sheridan that was reasonably priced.
I had a guy do some fab work for me last year. Being generous about time it was a two day job that cost me $2700 and less than $200 was material.
If you keep up the maintenance on your anodes bolt on is just fine. Mooring in salt I'd probably opt for bolt on if you don't have someone who can replace the weld on ones easily. Just more convenient to have weld on ones that you know are in good contact all the time until they're uses up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasport24 View Post
The anode's placed on the NR's are already aluminum. I called and emailed NR and they said that Aluminum works better for their boats than zinc.

As someone already mentioned, it's a better all around anode than zinc. Navalloy is new aluminum based anode that I'm going to look into at some point.
It's also good to note not to get carried away with too much anodes. One of the electric engineer types could give the details. To truly know exactly how much anode protection you need, a test with silver chloride rod in the water is the proper way to find out. Problem with that is it changes for different areas accessories on the boat etc.

History has shown me that most aluminum boats around 20' and under are good with a 5" strap anode, 24' boat a 6" strap anode, 28'+ a little bigger or a pair.

If you only use the boat in salt and brackish zinc is the best option I've seen. Zinc isn't for upper bays, rivers and lakes though or mixed use. Most outboards come with aluminum anodes on them now.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #10
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Sorry lots of typos with my gloves on this phone.

If you moor with electrical outlets around I'd definitely look at getting a galvanic isolator installed from a marine electrical place also.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
Drinkin' Buddy
Cutthroat

I have my boat at PME right now for the electronics package and they suggested (2) weld on anodes which we are going to do. 1 on each side. Sounded like a pretty good idea. $35 for each anode and $45 to weld them on.
Drinkin' Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 PM   #12
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kitch'nPass View Post
Thoughts?

Dave, on that long shaft kicker motor, make sure there is a zinc mounted where it's actually submerged. I was having corrosion issues on the T8. The now defunct Portland Marine Solutions noticed that while there was a factory zinc on the yoke, there was not a submerged zinc. They installed one on the lower lifting fin, where it's submerged, and that solved the T8's corrosion issue.

"Truth Matters"
garyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #13
ssriverrat
Steelhead

Here's a question while we're talking about it. If I trim my main all the way up there is no anode on the motor that is in the water. I started leaving my motor down while moored overnight in the salt assuming that if the anode isn't in the water the lower unit that is still barely in the water isn't protected. Thoughts?
ssriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #14
chummer
Sturgeon

Was literally just at Ampro in Clackamas discussing this and making arrangements to do this on my 20' Hewescraft. They use aluminum anodes not zinc. He said at 20' a boat should have 2 anodes. They charge $60 to weld on each anode. That includes the anode itself.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #15
Fishplay
Ifish Nate

So are those the sacrificial anodes themselves rather than mounting pads. My guess is yes.
As I understand it it would just be a softer alloy/aluminum so they could make ale any shape. Am I right?Click image for larger version

Name:	A5357DD6-0300-40CF-956C-02A4C364A5F8_1585779117280.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	742801

Member #472

2484 Sea Raider
Old 04-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #16
Mr.Kitch'nPass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishplay View Post
So are those the sacrificial anodes themselves rather than mounting pads. My guess is yes.
As I understand it it would just be a softer alloy/aluminum so they could make ale any shape. Am I right?Attachment 742801
Those are just mounts they welded on the boat.
Official ifish car geek!
Daves Ifish Page
Old 04-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #17
SharkTank
Chromer

I think those blank mounting pads are intended for your sonar transducers.

Eric, Suzy-Q (NR Seahawk OS 2700)
SharkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #18
chinwisker
Steelhead

Mr.Kitch'NPass
Not to butt in on any business, but if the boat is factory new for you from NR might any fabrication to the hull void an owners lifetime warranty?
chinwisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #19
MattPark
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasport24 View Post

That is the case now, but it hasn't always been that way. My 06 and many other older NRs came from the factory with zinc anodes. I want to say 2012 was when they moved from Zn to Al but I could be wrong.

Zinc is adequate for salt, but is essentially worthless in brackish or fresh water. Aluminum is a better choice all around according to the reps I've spoken to at Martyr. The words on their website mirror what they told me; "Aluminum anodes are more active, protect better and last longer than zinc anodes in saltwater – a win/win situation."

My 13 year old zinc anode is still in near perfect shape (on a shelf), even after constant cleaning of the anode itself, it's mating surface, and mounting hardware. You can still clearly read the part number. The aluminum anodes on the outboards were doing all the work. It's amazing how much longer the outboard anodes last now that I have a working anode on my hull.