IFish Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Campers in the woods

12K views 188 replies 47 participants last post by  Snapt 
#1 ·
My buddy, Jmmy and I were doing some research for ODFW yesterday. We travelled over to Camp Creek then down to Reedsport and up the Smith River. We saw a LOT of people camping in the woods. Kind of explains the lack of fish in those waters and makes you wonder about sanitation. Some of the rigs look like they died there. Open fires. Not a sign of enforcement. :palm:

#3 ·
The permeant effects of the lock down begin to reveal the devastation of lost employment, folding businesses and lost economic confidence caused by lock down measures. You will see this become a permanent fixture in our communities. We have a long way to go and the virus is only getting worse. Out lying communities relying on tourist $ will be the first to start hemorrhaging homelessness. Another nasty symptom of the virus that infects your entire family even if you don't have it :twocents: Hopefully the new homeless will be more kept up then the traditional down on their lucks.

#5 ·
Saw a cabin built on USFS in the Fremont Winema NF Saturday. Been there for years by all the junk around. Obviously a Tribal hunting camp. Inside it smelled like a pot drying shed. the "420" in permanent marker on inside wall was a hint.

#7 ·
It's called homelessness, we see it everywhere.
I know for a fact being homeless on the streets of Portland isn't very popular, so where should these people go, you know so they don't offend any of you?

#11 ·
If you see open fires during a closed fire season report immediately!! Please call DFPA (Douglas Forest Protection Association) at 541-672-6507. Provide GPS coordinates. They will take care of it asap :smash: Thanks :wave:

As far as camping on public land you have a right to stay for 14 days. If you know of someone staying longer than that please report to Coos Bay BLM at 541-756-0100 (assuming they are on BLM).

The fish runs are suffering because of people camping in the woods? Really? Do you care to back that up with data for Mill Cr/Camp Cr and Smith River? As compared to what?

#15 ·
I didn't mention fishruns did I? We were looking for Cutthroat for the ODFW biologst. There were Cutthroat introduced in that area some years ago. The searun fish don't show up till later in the year. We were looking for resident fish. We spent the day fishing likely looking holding water on Camp Creek and worked our way up the Smith doing the same thing. Mill Creek has been closed for years. The water in both streams is very clear and shallow. We saw very, very few fish. Stopped at most bridges. Except for one spot where we caught and released two fish, we didn't see anythng bigger than about 3" long chasing the flies or spinners. :twocents:

#21 ·
A victim is someone that had no say in what happens to them. Drug addicts self medicate, Alcoholics self medicate, pot smokers self medicate. These people are not true victims. They used their free will to ride the path of their own choosing. Are they victimized by their suppliers? yes. But they are in that position from their own decisions.

#22 ·
I disagree. If your decisions are based on being lied to about something that a doctor prescribes to you, you are indeed a victim. The cycle of addiction starts there, and people's decisions down the line are compromised from the minute that doctor signs the prescription.

When pharmaceutical companies are paying billions to push a drug they know is extremely dangerous and addictive, while lying about the addictiveness, they share the blame for the situation they created.

Hundreds of thousands (or more) of Americans have fought the addiction and won. The ones who lost that battle end up on the streets.

It's a sizeable portion of our current homeless epidemic. None of those people wanted that to be their future. Sure there are some who are lazy, or just want to party.. but you can't just paint all of them with a broad brush as if you understand how they got there and why they themselves are to blame. It's oversimplifying the problem and diverting from the causes of the problem.

#29 ·
I just read this thread. The people camping in areas where they are not allowed need to be removed. I don't care if it's in the woods or on the street. I have first and second hand experiences with homelessness. I'll just say this. No one, I mean NO ONE is harder on the bums cluttering the streets than my formerly homeless/drug addicted relative. There is help available to ALL of them. Because I don't want to come off too harsh, I'll stop, but they can and should be taken care of. Other states have.

#35 ·
Many are mentally ill, not sure who would hire them, easy to say "get a job" but they're literally crazy. And if they're not crazy, but heroin and meth addicts, then adios to your tools and equipment when they're chasing a high and out of money after the first payday.

Part of it is from defunding mental institutions.....oregon and wa both gutted theirs. Asylums got a bad rap from human experimentation and twisted things done in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, but we need them...and could just not do that bad stuff to people. Its also near impossible to commit someone involuntarily anymore, whether from court rulings on freedom or whatever else, something changed from 40 years ago, so if they say "I don't want to go", nobody can make them, and they're on the street.

The other half with addicts: need to enforce laws against crimes fueled by addiction and force detox. Right now they get a free pass, and because they know there's no downside to stealing, because they have 0 chance of getting penalized, they do it more... But if they started getting sent to jail and forced detox when getting caught stealing/crimes related to drug addiction, it acts as a deterrent the next time they're considering breaking a window/stealing stuff, there's negative feedback to that action embedded in their brain, there currently isn't any deterrent. Also, forcing them into detox gives them their life back even for a moment, if they want to go back to using drugs its a choice, and when they're committing crimes to do drugs again, they get detoxed again. Its not pleasant to detox, it may even be enough for some people to avoid meth/heroin once their clean, but if not, maybe the 3rd or 5th time being forced to quit will sink it in for them.

#37 ·
The other half with addicts: need to enforce laws against crimes fueled by addiction and force detox. Right now they get a free pass, and because they know there's no downside to stealing, because they have 0 chance of getting penalized, they do it more... But if they started getting sent to jail and forced detox when getting caught stealing/crimes related to drug addiction, it acts as a deterrent the next time they're considering breaking a window/stealing stuff, there's negative feedback to that action embedded in their brain, there currently isn't any deterrent. Also, forcing them into detox gives them their life back even for a moment, if they want to go back to using drugs its a choice, and when they're committing crimes to do drugs again, they get detoxed again. Its not pleasant to detox, it may even be enough for some people to avoid meth/heroin once their clean, but if not, maybe the 3rd or 5th time being forced to quit will sink it in for them.
Sounds like spending a night in the box for drug theft could be a deterrent...

Or do like the French did in that book/movie Pappilon...send em to another continent.

#41 ·
I work with a guy that has an old sail boat that is anchored in the Willamette. he puts every dime he makes into the bank and lives free on the river. eats Ramon noodles and fish. He is about 32 years old and says he will be able to retire by 38. Seams to me the younger generation doesn't buy into owning a home american dream.

#56 ·
Between my acreage and a larger chunk I'm involved with camping on that lasts only 15 minutes after I spot it. Truck does a great job of pulling tents and camp trailers to the edge of the state hwy. In the summer those people create a sanitation issue and potential fire hazard as they just don't seem to care or use common sense. Quick action is always the best.

#57 ·
I have a hedge along the road and weekly I go out and pick up beer cans/bottles thrown over, even yesterday saw tubers drifting the Sandy throw beer cans in the river without a care in the world, I've seen people unwrap stuff and just toss the plastic in the river. Lot of trashy humans out there.

#58 ·
It is disheartening when access is closed off because of extreme messes and damage left by "campers." Even worse is when someone is anti-hunting and attributes such abandoned sites to hunters. Not to say there aren't some slobs among us but if the dump sites belong the freeway campers is any indication.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.