IFish Fishing Forum banner

Stores now providing masks

6K views 125 replies 31 participants last post by  47sgs 
#1 ·
I've started noticing stores such as Home Depot and Safeway have masks available free for those that forgot to grab them from their vehicle. It certainly saved me a trek back to the car. Its not a big thing but something that helps in our current situation. And for those that get all ticked off at the store for not letting you in without a mask, your barking up the wrong tree. The store is doing everything it can to avoid paying a fine.

#68 ·
Statistical perspective: Based on numbers from today's Oregonian so accuracy may be suspect. Also based on projected numbers from 1918 Flu epidemic which if it happened today would potentially produce 450,000,000 deaths. Worldwide Covid deaths to date, 572,428. Looks like we're 449,427,572 deaths behind schedule. I actually think the number of deaths is incorrect but that's what was printed in the paper. Right or wrong, we're way behind schedule.

#70 ·
I don't know about the worldwide death toll, but in the US 4 times more people died in the second wave.
According to the CDC we are still in the first wave.

#69 ·
Knew my job would still be tough, just had to explain the new company rules to a co-worker, he thinks the new company rules are up for debate, they are not, now I understand the confusion as rules have changed a few times at the state & company levels, & it took over a week for our company to put out their new rules after the state set theirs on 7-1, in their defense, our company is present in aprox 1/2 the states in the lower 48, & rules are different in each state, + the rules at the company level is slightly different than at the state(s) levels, adding to the confusion, my job is to enforce the rules in my offices, in my state, which is subject to change again tomorrow.

#74 ·
Not sure what your saying?, but we as a species will beat this virus, some won't/haven't tho. Talking to a coworker this morning, he pointed out that many generations before us made much bigger sacrifices than SD & wearing a mask, I said, I truly believe we are the spoiled brat generation cause of that, & the fact that we have had it easier than past generations & likely future generations too, watching all those that can't make small sacrifices to get thru this pandemic, certainly makes my point. On a personnel note, I've made lemonade out of lemons, my family is as happy as we've ever been, closer too, our 30th anniversary tomorrow will be as happy as ever, altho we met on a fishing trip over 38 years ago, been together over 37 years, & have fished together every year since, except this year, neither of us miss it at all, we did everything together, she is my best friend, but since her health has deteriorated the past decade or so, we do very little of what we did together anymore, but she is still my best friend, I had to make small sacrifices to adjust to her less physical homebody lifestyle, but just watching her happy face daily is worth it, cause she finally gets a chance to act more like a girl, & is loving it. I have been told I have a "Trophy" wife, I don't know about that? I call her my little angel, she is better than most I've seen in my circle of family, & friends for sure, & I certainly feel lucky to spend my whole life with my "little angel", best friend, & soul mate, all in one beautiful package inside & out, & that's exactly why I'm playing it safe.

#73 ·
The last I heard....where I used to work in Toledo, there are about 350 employees.
One employee who lives in Corvallis actually had it, and felt like crap for a week...fine now, that was 2 months ago.
The company said anyone feeling ill could stay home, a lot of slackers took advantage of that, and none were sick. The other more responsible employees had to work lots of OT.

#75 · (Edited)
My wife decided she would walk to the top of Mount McLaughlin yesterday she almost became an angel when she stepped on some shale at the summit.

Got home at midnight and woke me up, after walking 2 hours in the dark with a cell phone light. I would have gone to look for them if they weren’t home by morning..... not to sentimental around here.

Sorry, back to masks.

#77 ·
Back to masks, found a solution to the N95 button valve type masks, either tape the button closed, or stuff the button with filter material, so your droplets don't blow out the valve, you could still double up with a cloth mask over the N95 as well. N95 masks were just becoming more available to the general public at a reasonable price, but once again they are in short supply for the front line workers that need them most, so they once again ask you don't go online for N95 masks as it will drive the price back up.

I've been more cautious on my hikes than when younger too, not just cause I could get injured, or killed, but for my dogs, as I lost a dog on a steep sloop in the Col rv gorge way back in the 80's when I had more bravado than brains, Zeke was there that day too, it could of been all three of us.

#80 ·
Religion, Politics, and now Covid!

I lean towards if you want to wear a masks do it, if not don't. The three topics above do nothing but destroy friendships and cause ill will when discussed.

:lurk: .. anyone want to start a betting pole to see how long this thread will last before it is shut down.

#84 ·
Using all deaths as a comparison removes the arguement of how covid deaths are recorded, very simple.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#87 · (Edited)
Root hog*, that was as interesting article. I do actually read all links.

There are so much contradicting releases, then I came across this...

Strict federal definition: Until April 14, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention counted as COVID-19 deaths only those in which the coronavirus was confirmed in a laboratory test — even as testing was not widely available; now, CDC counts probable cases and deaths. The day the change was announced, New York City’s COVID-19 death tally soared by more than 3,700 when it included in its total the deaths of people who were suspected of having COVID-19 but were never tested.

I don’t argue the monetary supplements for covid... but definitely a reason for adding covid to any death. It sucks either way and I feel bad for so many who are dealing with life threatening illness..... before having a virus on top of it all.

I just want to know the truth, and it just infuriates me that the news media, and political BS, leaves most American having to search and fact check everything......we deserve better than this....especially at the cost everyone has paid these past few months.

#88 ·
I believe we would have less controversy on this if the media and many publicity hounds would have provided solid information rather than rush to be the first at the podium. We went from its a no big deal to its a big deal, it only impacts the elderly to everyone, leadership was criticized for travel restrictions early in the year to being criticized for not implementing travel restrictions earlier, masks don't help to requiring masks, malaria drugs don't work to yes they might work, and of course the inconsistency of data from testing methods and results along with who gets counted as a Covid death. Its like a sports announcer giving a play by play action of basketball game then out of the blue starts including hockey play action into his program.

#90 · (Edited)
Which media & or public hounds didn't provide solid information? What solid information & or public hounds do you believe?

Why does anybody think exact #'s matters anyway? how about its very bad, over twice as bad as it ever was in April, & getting worse by the day, but don't just take my word, the medias word, & or the public hounds word for it, look at hospitals & morgues in Arizona, Texas, Florida, California, Mississippi, ...& more added each day.

#91 · (Edited)
Ken you can only make the statement you did....BY HAVING NUMBERS.

The difference between manageable, bad, or very bad is in the numbers.
Add that to the costs, debt, and the fact if we shut down again there maybe NO recovery.....numbers matter.

As for news networks....that’s a freaking joke. Only took 3 days before we found out a hangman’s noose was really a garage door cord....:palm:

Networks who have paid doctors, get paid for preach their narrative,.....

#93 ·
I agree & close is close, but all too often people question the accuracy of the #'s that are often estimates, than try to discount it cause it may be off a bit, heck Don is still hung up on 18%, which was an estimate. We are living in a polarized climate, as you just verified, personally I don't care about the hangman's noose used to keep a garage door open, or what NASCAR decides to do with flags at their events, why did you bring it up? this is a pandemic related mask thread. We all are paid to do something at some time, it's called a profession, if you want advice on a pandemic, a doctor with years of experience would be a good choice, don't you think? It's sad that some people actually think there are two sets of facts, & or news, there is not, may not be 100% accurate tho, all humans make mistakes here & there, owning up to & correcting the mistakes instead of blaming & passing the buck is key to gaining my trust. If you don't believe what I'm/the networks I watch are saying, take a trip to any of those places I mentioned & see for yourself, I'll pay your bill if it s not as bad as were saying. This is the worst pandemic in our lifetime, & getting worse by the day, we can't get a better "deal" from this pandemic, but have to deal with it.

#95 ·
I'll simply put this I don't like a mask, I hate a mask but I wear a mask not for myself but rather being respectful of those I encounter daily that may have elevated stress levels just going out to buy food for themselves. Its the same reason I don't open carry, I respect those with differing opinions from my own.

As far a media being factual try watching CNN its better than Sponge Bob but wait it is the Cartoon News Network.

#96 ·
So Don what do the numbers really mean?
Are you a epidemiologist?
Just put on the mask and help the rest of us fight this thing.

#97 ·
I don't know anybody that likes to wear a mask, I don't, but if the positive infection rate of those surveyed is/was aprox 18% not wearing a mask, vrs aprox 3% wearing a mask(Don I don't know what the latest aprox #'s are), + since it's mandatory at the state & company levels now & I like my job & my family, I'll wear a mask.

#100 ·
I don't know anybody that likes to wear a mask
I dunno, i kinda always thought ninjas were cool. Considering getting a sweet ninja mask.how many times in life will you have a legitmate reason to go out in public dressed like a ninja?

Looks like this mask thing could go on for awhile. Might as well have some fun with it. Ive also found that loud hawaiian shirts go well with wearing a mask. It keeps people from feeling bummed out about the pandemic. Not to mention, the hawaiian shirt portion of my closet was getting neglected.

#99 ·
Just trying to be serious but entertaining without upsetting anybody, I hope you saw thru the sarcasm Don.

#101 ·
"99% recovery rate" argument...:nerd:

America- ~330,000,000 people
Multiplier- 0.01
Fatalities assuming no herd immunity and everyone contracts it- ~3.3 million mortality rate

I guess that's an acceptable figure so we can be mask free and go to the bar with da boys at our leisure? :hoboy:

As a scientist who researches ways prevent pathogenic infection in the food industry, I don't understand why this is being politicized and stigmatized. "I'm an anti-masker!" No, you're kind of just an a-hole quite frankly.

Here's an analogy- I know that not contaminating a beef carcass with fecal matter during harvest in the first place with sanitary dressing procedures and a working HACCP plan will greatly reduce the risk of E.coli contamination. I also know that if I use antimicrobial interventions, proper storage temperatures of the meat during processing, and cooking the meat to lethality, the risk of causing kidney failure of someone who eats a burger contaminated with E.coli O157:H7 is greatly diminished even more. I may have saved one person's life who would've been at-risk of dying from kidney failure. Perhaps those in food production should adopt the anti-maskers cavalier attitudes because "c'mon! what'r the chances?!"

Instead, we don't take any chance. So why's it different with preventing the spread of Covid? We know that wearing a mask, washing your hands, not gathering in large crowds, social distancing, wiping down cross-contaminated surfaces, etc reduce the risk of contraction and it's spread. THIS ISN'T POLITICS, IT'S SCIENCE! Just because you cannot wrap your head around microbiology, pathogenisis or can't physically see bacterial cells, doesn't mean they're make-believe or make this a "hoax."

The sooner we stop spreading this s*** around like wildfire because of our political beliefs and who we vote for, the sooner we stop crapping on science/scientists, the sooner we can finally get back to normal. Isn't that what we all want?

#104 ·
And we will see if the City of Atlanta tries to send a certain federal official a ticket or subpoena after today for breaking mask "laws".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#105 · (Edited)
Ken you convinced me....all news networks are the same, no spin....fox, cnn, msnbc....it doesn’t matter what table you feed from....it’s all accurate and fact based. :palm:

I hate masks, I think folks looked stupid with them, I don’t go to town as long as I can talk the wife into going. She also works at the airport so I should get it as soon as it hits town.

My hearing sucks, (to many guns and chain saws)..what I have learned is how much I depended on watching a person talk to understand what they are saying, this is frustrating.

I am going to have to make a supply run, and now I make a list.....and go to one or two stores that have everything I need.....so I don’t have to wear a stupid mask....

#111 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just trying to take good care of the most important people in my life, my family, not yours, or anybody else's, now I sure hope you & everybody else takes simple safety precautions, that would help make taking care of my family easier, I don't think asking people to SD, & wear a mask is too much to ask, what are the alternative(s)?.

I hate masks too, I have quite a variety I rotate on a daily basis, yesterday I had a company issue white one on, a co worker said it looked like a diaper, I said "thanks for reminding me" I also keep a cloth scarf type mask handy around my neck to pull up when needed, cause the latest rules in our offices that I'm in charge of says, masks are required when near another person, we had a special safety meeting Mon to explain the new rules that the boss said we must inforce, or somebody could loose their job, it was determined that since people move around in the office alot, & you will be near another person in an instant, that unless your the only one in the office, you must wear a mask, so if I'm by myself which is often the case, & someone walks in, I can quickly cover my nose & mouth. I also wear ear plugs when working around anything noisy, except music.

People complain about NOAA weather forecasting, even claiming somebody should get fired when the forecast is off, but it's all computers these days, even the voice on your VHF radio is a computer, so who you gonna fire?, + we all have the choice of predicting the weather ourselves, cause we all have access to the same data, that's what I do, being a life long weather geek, I watch weather everyday at the local level, all the way up to the world level, & on the net, & make my own personnel call(s) as go or no go, never blaming anybody else for my decision(s), others would rather complain, & blame, what ever happened to taking personnel responsibility for ones own actions? same with news, it's available all over at the local level, all the way up to the world level, it's on the net as well, & we all have access to the same news, yet some want to pick & choose what news they want, I call that fantasy news, cause why settle for the news you have, when you can make believe the news you want? news is news.

#107 ·
Just got an email from the Beaverton School District High School Football program that they are starting workouts next week. Socially distanced and liability-waivers are part of it. Kind of odd, there won't be in person classes when school starts... there may not even be a football season, but football practice is moving forward.

"We are planning to follow the physical distancing guidelines strictly and have organized players into cohorts of no more than 9 kids at this time. Each cohort will have a one-hour time slot for workouts, as to avoid contact with larger groups. We will not be using the weight room, as there are multiple restrictions on the use of weight room, but will rather focus on conditioning, agility, and strength while training outside on the turf and emphasizing physical distancing so that players can do it in a safe manner. We will get in great shape and be ready for the season safely with the plan we have as a staff."

#108 ·
Talk about numbers you might have seen that all those Florida positive case increases were phony testing results. They just reported testing is near 100% positive for recent testing. That hit the media and went viral when in fact other testing showed the positive test numbers at 7 to 9 percent. You didn't see this in the media did you?

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...flaws-in-florida-department-of-health-report/

#109 ·
Talk about numbers you might have seen that all those Florida positive case increases were phony testing results. They just reported testing is near 100% positive for recent testing. That hit the media and went viral when in fact other testing showed the positive test numbers at 7 to 9 percent. You didn't see this in the media did you?

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...flaws-in-florida-department-of-health-report/
One or two labs reporting only positive cases could have been a "mistake".

This was more than one or two.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.