IFish Fishing Forum banner

How's your 2020 garden?

18K views 299 replies 64 participants last post by  Quiet Riot 
#1 ·
With everybody staying at home, somebody on here has to be doing some gardening. Let's see em.

#74 · (Edited)
Nice frame.
If we had one, the wifey would probably sleep in it during the early spring months for planting.
She has a planting spree for seeds in little tiny black plastic boxes every spring. Long table with bags of potting soil next to it and many dozens of those little seed boxes scattered all over it and every available space on the patio.
Doesn't stop messing with them from early afternoon till too dark to see.
Only have a little 6'h x 3'w greenhouse with 4 shelves in it. As many tray's of those seed starters as she can stuff in there.

#75 ·
We are trying something for the kids this year, sunflower fort. Tilled a 8x12' perimeter yesterday and this morning me and the boys planted I don't know how many sunflower seeds. Some we bought, some came out of my grandma's seed vault. Her's were old seeds that she had newer of so we'll see what pops up. Might run some beans to fill in between the plants.

https://www.melindamyers.com/articles/creating-a-sunflower-fort

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#78 ·
Mine is getting closer! Going to be a late year for planting much, but it’s been quite the project to build in my spare time.

Fence is 3/4 done today, which I felt pretty good about with a washed up fire sprinkler fitter and a cop playing builder... I’ll finish up the last few panels between rain storms this week and then build the raised beds. I’m pretty impressed with how well my simple brain figured it out. The pavers under the fence panels worked out really well and should be a great retainer for the pea gravel.

A little Gucci for a simple little garden, but I didn’t want to regret cutting corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#90 ·
Peas are growing fast. Waiting for the blooms to happen. Tomatoes have a few flowers on them. Waiting for the cucumbers, zucini, herbs, and sunflowers to sprout. Have some open space still, need to pick up some bean seed. Still have to get the garden boxes ready for pumpkins.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#91 ·
Our WAlly Wally sweets are starting to show the onion tops above ground already.
Wifey planted another row of asparaguts and some beets and green bell peppers.
Bout done planting the veggies for the year. Time to kick back n watch it grow.
Wifey is just getting started planting and replanting her flower beds, and shuffling things around.
Got about 40 lupine starts to plant in various places. Love those things.
Been to the nursery twice looking for ghost peppers. Have plenty of jalapeno's.
Lawn is growing out of control.
Gonna plant asphalt next year and sell the lawn mower. :laugh:

#92 ·
Leaf lettuce is being harvested, romaine not far away. Broccoli starting to form heads, won't be long for cabbage either. Half of the planted bush wax beans are up. other half is in. Going to plant blue lake pole beans and super sweet corn in the next day or so (I planted some regular sweet corn early as a test crop, and only part of it came up). Finally getting a decent stand of carrots on the second try, summer squash and cucumbers are up. We have a holly tree in the front yard, which is loaded with holly berries, and a big flock of cedar waxwings are busily harvesting them. I only hope they're gone by the time the blueberries ripen. Boysenberries are in full bloom, and the bees are working them hard so going to be a good crop of them too. I go out and talk to the garden every day (threaten the plants with early demise, actually) but they don't listen, just take their own sweet time.

#94 ·
Getting close to having some more veggies to harvest. Zucchini is maybe less than a week from producing first harvest. My pea plants have been flowering so I imagine I should be crunching on those here pretty quick. My transplanted cucumbers didn't survive, but the seeds I put in the ground are coming up and looking strong. Trying to keep up with the suckers on the tomato plants so it doesn't get out of control too early. And still trying to keep up with weeding in between EMT class and fishing trips.

#95 ·
Not enough yard space for us to have a garden. I planted some cherry tomatoes in some pots. The problem is that they are setting lots of flowers but they drop off and don't form tomatoes. I tried blossom set but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

#103 ·
Things are starting to bloom. Have a few flowers on the tomatoes and peas. Zucchini and cucumbers are sprouted. A few of the cilantro and basil have come up. I don't think my sunflowers are going to do anything. I planted probably close to 100 seeds and I only have a handful of plants up. I had the kids help plant so I don't know if the went in too deep or what. I'll keep watching for another couple weeks to see if anymore decided to pop up. I need to get second plantings in of most things this week. I have 3 garden boxes for pumpkins that I still need to get setup. Lots to do still.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#104 ·
Dogz, those dwarf blueberries are soon darn good. Sweet as all get out. I have some sunshine dwarf bushes that produce some of the sweetest blueberries I've ever had. My dwarfs bushes are also about to share their bounty. :excited:

My strawberries are already giving us some nice berries. I would have more if the blue Jay's would stay out of em. Time for some bird netting. We have been grazing on some of our lettuce leafs, as they are getting big. Got the tomatoes in the ground a couple weeks ago, but they are already flowering. Nothing better than garden fresh goodies to munch on!

#106 ·
Very cool sculptures.
Wonder what kind of trees he used?
Imagine a fast growing variety.
Wonder if my pear and apple trees would work? Gotta prune da heck out of em every year!
Too bad I can't use some of my clematis bushes. I measured the big one a couple yrs ago, and it was growing at the rate of 7+" per day!
I trained it into a heart shape that year. Looked perty cool.

#107 ·
Looks like he used to sell a video, now the info is just posted online. This article explains 3 methods, it was the first google result for the name of the book. Some is from growing long roots with aeroponics, then shaping them into ropes and intertwining them into an interesting shape. When they're exposed to air over a long time, the ropes of root will develop bark around the outside, and he experimented with fig trees.

He also has a photo gallery of lots of different ones, even furniture made out of them, with a bunch more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.