IFish Fishing Forum banner

How's your 2020 garden?

18K views 299 replies 64 participants last post by  Quiet Riot 
#1 ·
With everybody staying at home, somebody on here has to be doing some gardening. Let's see em.

#32 ·
Our magnolias are just now starting to bloom, so are our blueberries. Up here everything is late blooming. The only rhododendron that has bloomed so far is my Christmas Cheer, which on the valley floor should bloom in Jan. Here it blooms in March.

#33 ·
I’ve been eating asparagus for a week the second planning of peas is about 5 inches tall first plantings about 8-10 inches tall greens are large enough I’ll be eating them next week I could eat Swiss chard now if I wanted to onions are doing great radishes lettuce Are up had some egg plant up till the dog decided the raised bed looked like a good dog bed blueberries are just banging morel mushroom garden finished yesterday just completed installed Under the old Apple tree hoping for something good to happen there

#36 ·
For those of you asparagus gardeners, try eating one fresh out of the garden. I couldn't believe how wonderful it was! Crunchy, sweet, yum!
I have a new greenhouse and I am loving it! We bought one of those costco ones, and it blew to pieces in the first wind storm! So, Costco made us collect all the pieces and return them. Man, was THAT a hassle! Then had one built that won't budge in a storm!
I love it!

I have one experiemental tomato, lettuce of all kinds, lemon cucumbers, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, apples, zucchini, crookneck, lots of begonias, freesia, orchids... I have a great water timer and a hose that goes straight from the well to the greenhouse.

I'm having a blast!

i cook my asparagus like above, drizzle with olive oil and butter if you like, use coarse salt and bake really high for very few minutes. MMMMMM!

#43 · (Edited)
Gonna try a fresh picked one today Jen.
All the ones we picked lately were baked and eaten within hours. So still fresh.
Heaven on a green stalk.
It took about 4 to 5 years for them to start producing good, but it was well worth the wait.
Some people told us it would take up to 7 years for asparagus to start producing.
About half of our 1 row of them died off the first year. So we're gonna plant another full row or two.
I could make a full meal just out of asparaguts. :meme:

#37 ·
Picked up some thornless Marion Berry plants this week that will replace the old thorny ones after they are done bearing this summer. All the berries will now be thornless.

A friend who is into mushrooms came over this last week and helped me plant a 4' x 8' patch of winecap mushrooms. If I take care of them right, he says they should begin showing around the first week of June. I've never done this before, but he's been culturing several varieties for a few years.

Also installing a drip irrigation system on the entire garden this year to make watering easier and more efficient.

#40 ·
Will likely be another month for me. Usually plant 2nd week of May to 1st week of June. Surgeon said I can't even get on the tractor to till the 2 spots for 4-6 weeks after back surgery and it has only been 6 days. I feel great but don't want to screw it up so have to be patient. May look to get pumpkin and cantaloupe starts soon. Neighbor has lots of pepper and tomato starts in her greenhouse.

#46 ·
My wife and I added to our small orchard adding a Frost Peach, Dwarf Pear and a Turkish Fig. We have been wanting to put in grapes for a long time so we put in a trellis with Concorde and green seedless grapes. One day we were at Bi-Mart and found some Honey berries which we had never heard of before. Looks like a way over sized blue berry so we put in male and female plants to try them.

Added a couple more raised beds for Snow and Snap peas and they are climbing and starting to blossom. In the same beds we started some Walla Walla Sweets which we will need to transplant into the garden next week. The strawberries and blueberries have a ton of blooms this year so it look we'll have a great crop. We've been cutting rhubarb now for 2 weeks.

Garden has had lime and compost incorporated so next week after the rain well install trellises for the tomatoes, pole beans, cucumbers and melons. We are going more to the trellis system this year to get stuff to grow vertically and conserve space. Drip and soaker system still needs to be worked out. I hate weeding so we're going to try and put the water only where it's needed.

Let's hope for a good growing season. We can and freeze everything plus we want to give a lot of the excess to local Food Banks.

#50 ·
Crookneck squash (direct sown seeds) is up this morning, warm weather boost. These were 2 year old seeds, I have a new packet as well, but figured if they didn't sprout, had nothing to lose. Of course 2 days ago, I planted a second hill with the new seeds, now it's going to be another squash-arama year. I also planted 3 year old zucchini seeds 2 days ago....let's see if they'll sprout too! Garden is LOOKING GOOD, although darned if I can get a decent crop of carrots, actually reseeded the row with a top dressing of potting soil to try for a few more plants. And some of my broccoli damped off, but what's left seems to be doing better with the warm weather. I put the tomatoes in a couple of weeks ago, way early for them but they appear to be thriving...go global warming. Leaf and romaine lettuce, beets, chard, kohlrabi, onions, garlic, herbs ...going gonzo, and so is the cabbage. We'll eat (at least vegetables) this summer.

Boysenberries just starting to bloom, blueberries are past blooming, as are all the fruit trees. I put the first post petal drop spray on the trees on Monday...and then in the afternoon it rained:(. Spray had dried by then, hopefully it did some good...second application in a couple of weeks. Wish I could figure out how to get the hardy kiwi to bloom, plants are leafed out, runners running, no blooms. This is a new crop for me, have never eaten a hardy kiwi, my dad grew hairy kiwi on the south side of his galvanized metal shop and they produced buckets of fruit, and we're supposed to be outside their preferred growing climate. Hardy kiwis should love it here, and the plants look great, just no blooms:(.

#55 ·
All the fruit trees, pears and apples are done blossoming and dropped.
Have tons of little tiny fruit on 3 trees now.
Blueberries are looking great for a first picking. Hope they keep producing that way.
Love to freeze a couple gallon bags of blueberries for in my oatmeal and flapjacks etc.
Gotta get them picked quick before the g-kids show up! :doh:
Of course they usually find them in the freezer and eat them by the cup full when I do that.
Gotta hide them on the top shelf behind everything else now.
Maybe a few will survive for the winter months.

#56 ·
Gettin Fishy.
What kind of Italian salad dressing do you prefer to marinade your asparaguts in before cooking?
Am looking closely at your recipe.
Have 2 big coffee cups full of asparaguts fresh from the garden.
Gonna try half of them your way and do the other half my usual way.
Asparaguts is doing great this year.
Going to the local nursery soon to get more starts soon. Want to put another row of them in the garden.
Might try and make some aparagus and gruyere cheese quiche soon.
Old navy bud sent me a good recipe. :meme:

#57 ·
Anyone on here growing apricots?
I love the apricot jelly and jam, or maybe syrup.
Made a batch of accidental apricot syrup one year, while canning. (meant to make jelly.).
Not good pectin I put in it, so it didn't set up.
But by gunther! It was great on flapjacks and waffles and straight out of the jar. The kids couldn't get enough of it. Gonna try that recipe again! :)
Wish I had room to grow a dwarf apricot tree. But the back yard is all spaced out.
Wondering how long it would take for a dwarf tree to start producing?
I'm 67 now and would like to see some results before I get covided out of existence.
Tips folks? :pray::applause:

#59 ·
Anyone on here growing apricots?

Yes. Past tense. In the NW apricots and peaches seem unusually prone to fungus/scale sorts of pests. We get a few year's production and then, especially apricots, the tree dies. Having too many other things to do, I don't engage in chemical warfare in order to have a few stone fruits.

#58 ·
Peas up to my belt and blooming now been eating greens for about a week and asparagus for a few weeks blueberries are loaded apples are about the size of the end of my thumb from the first joint they’ll be ready for a Fourth of July apple pie. New strawberries so I’ve been pinching the blooms off them and tomatoes the tomatoes are about a foot tall now onions are going crazy planted nine peppers yesterday and four more tomatoes updated the drip system so everything is on drip water. Eating radishes as well

#60 ·
This year's experiment is super early sweet corn. I found an heirloom, open pollinated variety from Victory Seeds in Molalla that is supposed to ripen in 55-57 days. Planted yesterday. We shall see....

#61 · (Edited)
My big PITA project, large non buildable lot. The newest invasive to move in was shiny geranium. I had all the free time in the world, I got tired of looking at it, it was going to flower in a week so spray was out of the question, weed whacking makes it worse.

So I dug...and packed all of it out with my backpacking bag. 5 truck loads of it!

A lady at multnomah water and soil recommended a native grass mix heavy in blue wildrye. Reseeded with this blend and it is looking awesome so far. There are a couple exotic trees Im going to top and kill to see if some woodpeckers will move in. Will be a cool little prairie if it works according to plan.

Early white potatoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#65 ·
Your garden looks like it should be a postcard! Beautiful. Looks like you could feed the whole county with that garden - sweet :bowdown:

#63 ·
Got most of it in the dirt. Expanded this year for more corn, pumpkins and watermelon (Sugar Baby). I may even get a small harvest off my hardy kiwi if there isn’t anymore frost for me this year.

Attachments

#64 ·
Has your hardy kiwi bloomed? When does it bloom? I've yet to see a flower on 4 plants, one of which has been in for a long time, and two of which are 3 year old plants. This is the first year I've set up a trellis for them, and 3 of the four are up on the wire at 6 feet up but still not a sign of a bloom. Plants look great though. I know that at least one plant is a male, the one that's been there a long time, I don't know, but the other two are females.

#71 ·
We are still building our planter boxes. They definitely make picking the fruits and veggies easier. We have onions, cauliflower, snap peas, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and coming soon is tomatoes. We may possibly do some potatoes as well.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.