IFish Fishing Forum banner

Picture Posting Tutorial

320K views 514 replies 276 participants last post by  orygonian 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
Here's a step by step tutorial on picture uploads for the NEW PhotoPost software on Ifish. Don't be intimidated by the size of these instructions - it is simpler than it looks! Give it a try!

Note: Please install the latest Flash if the gallery doesn't work for you and you are using Windows 7. Jen

Begin by going to the Picture Galleries

or here

Then click on the Upload link

Select the image you want to display. Start by clicking "browse"

Then click on the file name for your image. When it displays in the dialog box, you can click "Open" to upload a copy of your file to Ifish.

Scroll to the bottom of the next screen and click "Upload/Submit"

The default gallery is the one labelled with your moniker. You don't need to do anything to select it. You can also add a title and description at this time, but you don't need to. Then click "Process Files"

Your file is now on the Ifish system. Next you need to find your image file.

Start by clicking on this link, or the word "My Gallery" above on the upper left.

Now, continue in the next post.

See less See more
#2 Ā·
Re: ALL NEW Picture Posting Tutorial

Find your Gallery. They're in alphabetical order.

Find the image you want to include in your post.

Copy the contents of the first box, labeled "Direct Link" ... It looks like this, with the tags on both ends:
[/B]
[CENTER] [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][im g]http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/500/filename.jpg[/im g]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

[B]Then, return to the Discussion Forum, start your post and paste the code into the box. [I] No need to use the Instant UBB Code function, that will result in extra code tags which will display in your post.[/I][/B]

[IMG]http://www.ifish.net/board/../gallery/data/500/11pic12.jpg

Finish writing what you want to say. Then complete your post just as you normally would. You should now have a picture in your post...Like this!

#3 Ā·

There are several ways to resize your image to allow it to upload. The uploader will not permit files greater than 200kb. The ideal size for an image file is between 20 and 40 KB.

Here are some tools to help resize a picture:

1 __________________

Microsoft Paint

Most Windows users have a copy of Paint. Open your image in Paint. Select "Image" "Attributes" and choose a size something like 5.5 inches wide and 4 inches tall (set "units" for inches). Click "OK", then save your image with a new file name that you will then upload to Ifish.net.

2 __________________

Irfanview

This is a free program. Download it from the link above. After installing the program on your computer, open the image you want to upload in Irfanview.

Click "Image" on the tool bar. Then click "resize/resample" on the pull down menu. Make sure "preserve aspect ratio" is selected at the bottom left, then type a number in the "Set new size" panel. Click "Pixels", then choose a number like 550 or 600 for the width. The height will be selected automatically. Save your file and it will be ready to upload.

3___________________

From Herring Impaired:

Heres a powertoy from Microsoft that makes resizing a photo as easy as right clicking on the file and selecting the new size in a dialog. The following link will get you to the page, and then just select ImageResizer.exe. Only caveat is they are only for Windows XP.
The smallest, 240 x 320 is usually more than adequate for Web pages.
Image Resizer and other powertoys.

#4 Ā· (Edited)

From 24 on/ 24 off ...
Resizing a picture using Irfanview

Often times you take a digital picture with you camera, and want to share it with others, or post it on ifish. However, your camera has taken a HUGE image, both in dimensions and file size. You realize you are going to need to re-size your picture, so it does not display so large on the screen.

This is where Irfanview helps out. First, you will need to download the program. It is not a large program, so it shouldnā€™t take too long. Get Irfanview from here:

Irfanview download

One you have it downloaded, install the program using all the default settings and install it in place you wonā€™t lose it. I suggest leaving it on your desktop. The icon looks like this:

You will need to do a one-time set-up of the program so it knows how you want your pictures resized. It only takes a few minutes, and it will save these settings for future use.

Next, I suggest you create two new folders on your desktop. One will contain the original (large) pictures, then second will contain the resized pictures. I have this, and call the folders ā€œpics inā€ and ā€œpics outā€ To do this, right mouse click anywhere on your desktop and goto ā€œnewā€ then ā€œfolderā€ Then give them a name like I suggested.

Next, copy/paste, or click and drag into the ā€œpics inā€ any and all digital images you wish to resize. Irfanview does batch resizing, so you can resize multiple pics at once. Once you have in all the images you wish to re-size, you are ready to open up the program.

Double click on the Irfanview icon. The program will look like this:

In the upper left of the window, click ā€œfileā€ and then scroll down to ā€œBatch conversion/Renameā€ It will open up a new box.

The program now needs to know where to find the pictures that you want resized. At the top of the box, it says ā€œLook inā€ and has a drop-down menu. Use this drop-down to locate your desktop and the ā€œpics inā€ folder. Click on ā€œpics inā€ and now the pictures files that you want resized will appear in the box below the drop-down.

Now, you are going to need to tell the program how you would like them resized. You will need to do a few steps to identify to the program how you want this accomplished.
First, click on the ā€œbrowseā€ button on the Output directory. Look for the ā€œpics outā€ folder on your desktop, and set that as your ouput directory.

Next, click on the ā€œBatch conversionā€ button where it says ā€œwork asā€

Next, make sure that the ā€œFile Formatā€ is: JPG ā€“ JPEG Format. Use the drop-down button if it is not already the default.

Next, click on the button that says ā€œUse advanced optionsā€ and then click on the ā€œset advanced options buttonā€

#5 Ā· (Edited)

This opens up a new box that allows you to specify what size you want the pictures to be.

Next, click the ā€œRESIZEā€ button. Then, scroll down to where it says "Set long side to" and type in 480 and click the "pixels" box. Also, click the box that says "preserve aspect ratio". Now click "OK".

Now you are back in the box which shows the pictures you want resized. Double click the image(s) that you want resize. You will see some text appear to the left in the ā€œinput files box.

Once you have all the pictures that you want resized in the ā€œInput files boxā€, then you are ready to instantly resize them. Click ā€œStartā€

The screen will flash some text for a few moments, then display a box showing it is done. It looks like this:

Exit out of the program and go look in your ā€œpics outā€ folder. Your pictures will be right there- resized and ready for email and posting!

Donā€™t forget- you need only set up the advanced options ONE time. After that, it saves your settings. From then on, it only takes a minute or so to resize pictures.

Good luck!

--spud--:

#7 Ā·

Have you noticed sometimes pictures are big and sometimes they are little thumbnails? Did you know there are now TWO ways to upload pictures?

If you put a picture in your gallery, you can link it full size in your post. But if you want to do the easier, automatic upload and just show a thumbnail, that helps Ifish with the bandwidth we use.

To load your picture into your gallery see above for instructions. Then, when composing your message, click the icon circled below, paste the address of the image in the text box and hit enter.

To post an attachment, just click the paperclip while you are composing your message. It will open a dialog box and let you browse to where your picture is. Then it will upload your picture and include a thumbnail at the bottom of your post.

Two good ways to upload pictures for display on Ifish!

The paperclip is for attachments. It works best for attaching a document (text, spreadsheet, pdf, etc..) to your post. It will create an active link to the document in your post. Clearly, it also works (kind of) for photos, but it's better to keep your photos in your gallery space, where you can manage them more easily and link them properly.

#9 Ā·

pete, i've tried to upload a picture, and i'm being told it is successfully uploaded, but i cannot find it. i've looked in my "personal" gallery (no pictures) and in recently uploaded pictures, etc. any advice?

one thing i noticed on the upload is that i got the first screen your post references, but not the "photopost add photos" page where you can "process files." mine just jumped right back to my personal gallery.

#10 Ā·

How big are the images you're uploading. It sounds like they are over 200 Kb.

After an oversize image is uploaded, the file name will be "used", so after you resize, you should rename or you won't be able to upload the image.

#15 Ā·

An image file will have before the URL for the picture, and a closing which is the same tag, with a "/" inside the bracket before the img.

I can't actually post the closing tag here as it will convert the text to nonsense.

The best thing to do is paste the URL for your image into the text box that opens when you click the yellow, square box in the bar above your message. [IMG]http://www.ifish.net/board/images/editor/insertimage.gif

#24 Ā·

Bobross, if you follow the instructions at the top of this forum, you'll be able to display the pictures full size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.