IFish Fishing Forum banner

Thinking about buying F 250 with "Godzilla" 7.3 V8

5K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  positize 
#1 ·
I am going to be buying a new pickup for towing a fifth wheel and am considering an F250 with Fords new "Godzilla" V8. About $9,000 less than a diesel and a lot less in maintenance costs which adds up to being able to buy a lot of gas. The only downside I see is that the gas engines does not get very good fuel mileage. I do not intend to max out towing capacity so I think the "Godzilla" might give me good service. It would only be used for towing, not as daily driver. Pretty straight forward old school design - cast iron block and heads, forged steel crank and pushrod design with a lot of room around the engine for do it yourself service and repairs.

#4 ·
I personally would bight the bullet and get the 6.7 powerstroke. I was a long time cummins guy and have owned duramax's as well but my newer super duty with the 6.7 is the best rig ive ever owned. And they a proving to be very reliable. My thought on trying to save some money and going with the 7.3 gasser is resale. The diesel will hold its value. Ive never seen a newer big gas motor do that... Whether your talking ford v10, chevy 8.1, etc. You might make up the difference and then some when you want to get rid of it...

#8 ·
The Fast Lane Trucks bought a 7.3 Gasoline and has been testing it. You should take a look at that series on youtube. Depending on your area, gasoline can be cheaper than diesel during some times of the year. Obviously, gasoline is available anywhere you can get diesel but the reverse is not the case. As someone noted, you can add an additional tank but also tanks are bigger than they used to be on newer Fords.

I think it depends on how big of a fifth wheel and how many miles you plan to put on it whether you need a diesel or not. Of course, you may “want” a diesel.

My friends/acquaintances who have 6.7s don’t seem to get impressive mpg towing heavy. Sure, some get get very good mpg at 60 mph, but you’d also probably get good mpg with the gasoline at that speed.

#12 · (Edited)
430 gears and the new 10speed should be great if you dont try to tow a 40ft toyhauler
if you can wait until late dec and should get some great deals out there.
Keep us posted i would like to hear about it
Crew cab or long-short bed??? and all the towing pack that they offer
Do you have to burn prem or reg??

#13 · (Edited)
Had such a bad experience with a 60,000 dollar Ford Diesel that I am stilling feeling burned on.
I will be towing a 30 foot fifth wheel. Great tips about F 350, Camper Special and 430 gears. My wife and I will be doing some travelling in retirement. Will not be in a hurry and pushing the engine hard on the road.
I like that I can do a lot of servicing and repairs on the Godzilla motors - belts, hoses, alternator, oil-coolant change, filters etc.. if need be. No more having to remove the entire cab of the truck for repairs like my Ford F 250 diesel.
Looked under the hood of a 6.7 diesel and there is not room to get at anything without a lot of work - it is packed in there.

#16 ·
I think this is the exact scenario envisioned for the 7.3/4:30 combo.

Like posted above, watch the TFL videos on YouTube about this set up.

Also like posted above, go F350 long bed, since you have stated 5th wheel.

6.7l diesel is awesome for sure, and if you want it get it.

But you sure don't "need" it.....especially for the initial premium and additional operating costs, based upon your post.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
A lot of the commercial fleets which were burned by the 6.0 and 6.4 started transitioning to the V10 gas & did not buy the new diesel like before. Ford and others knowing that the gas engine properly maintained will pay off, even though you go from 10 mpg diesel to 5 mpg gas, for the industrial/fleet customer who idle a lot and put thousands of hours and miles on a truck, diesel which takes 15 quarts, expensive fuel filters, costly egr and engine coolant flushes, have started the long path where diesel and there emissions systems have lost its advantage and Ford knows that. This godzilla gives you diesel like performance, unlike the V10 and its legit.

A lot of commercial ford dealers are realizing this, as gas is making a strong come back and at some point the godzilla gas engine will be the preferred engine of choice.

Buy the gasser, a few miles per hour faster up a hill, a bit more torque and the potetial headache of the diesel emissions system failing, and really finicky fuel system is simply not worth it.

#19 ·
A lot of the commercial fleets which were burned by the 6.0 and 6.4 started transitioning to the V10 gas & did not buy the new diesel like before. Ford and others knowing that the gas engine properly maintained will pay off, even though you go from 10 mpg diesel to 5 mpg gas, for the industrial/fleet customer who idle a lot and put thousands of hours and miles on a truck, diesel which takes 15 quarts, expensive fuel filters, costly egr and engine coolant flushes, have started the long path where diesel and there emissions systems have lost its advantage and Ford knows that. This godzilla gives you diesel like performance, unlike the V10 and its legit.

A lot of commercial ford dealers are realizing this, as gas is making a strong come back and at some point the godzilla gas engine will be the preferred engine of choice.

Buy the gasser, a few miles per hour faster up a hill, a bit more torque and the potetial headache of the diesel emissions system failing, and really finicky fuel system is simply not worth it.
Exactly. Ford didn't go against current thinking, and building a large "simple" V-8 gas engine, for no reason.

Of course if California has it's way....in a few short years that's back off the table.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I gloated over the price difference between diesel and gas when I owned my first GM diesel and then got irritated when diesel was higher priced than gas when I owned my 2004 Dodge diesel. Now I see prices are close to the same with diesel surging slightly higher. I would buy a diesel if need the torque, but I don't so my F150 works for me, $39 for an oil, lube and tire rotation along with 21-24 mpg average it fits my use just great.

#24 · (Edited)
Seems like a no-brainer to me: gasser is way less expensive initial purchase price, less expensive to maintain, easy to understand, easy to fix yourself, more room under the hood, no messing with DEF, the Godzilla V8 is a torque/towing monster (especially with those 4.30 gears) and gets virtually the same fuel MPG as the diesel if your use is towing most of the time. For an all-tow rig towing loads under 18,000 pounds, would be a waste of money to buy the diesel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.