IFish Fishing Forum banner

Best theft deterrent I have ever seen.

4K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  Fishing Dear 
#1 ·
Enough said!

See less See more
#2 ·
My daughter is 16 and got her license in January. I taught her how to drive on a manual and she picked it up really quickly. Proud of my kiddo and glad she has the knowledge of how a stick works. That said, she prefers driving an automatic. Maybe that will change when it gets slick out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
We’ve taught each of our kids (3 of 4 driving so far) how to drive a stick. They can all do it, but only one of them prefers it. The other two would rather drive autos. I don’t care what it is as long as they know how...

That said, manuals are not as prevalent as they were 20-30 years ago. I think it is a valuable skill, but not worthy of being “mandatory” like it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I have a manual tranny in my '14 Tacoma. After 100k miles it has 5mm remaining on the front brake pads. If I'm the only owner and remain the primary driver, the rear shoes will last the life of the vehicle.

#13 ·
I drove a split shifter for awhile

#18 ·
My commuter car is a Mazda Protege that's a manual. Told my daughters that they were at least going to know how to drive it. My oldest got the idea pretty quick but she doesn't like it and said " they don't make those anymore so why do I have to learn!". Getting to be a true statement but she now knows. Probably will go out with the younger one in a few months...knowing her, she will probably like it.

#28 ·
Stick shift. My ex really liked sticks and she wanted an IROC. So I bought a used IROC with slush and replaced the 305 with a mild 400 and a Richmond 5 speed. She did pretty good with it but would step on the clutch and roll to a stop from 30, 40, 50, didn't matter. Just never understood using engine compression to assist braking much less downshifting. :doh: Every time I tried to explain the concept she told me she knew how to drive a stick - she taught herself. I'd tell her she had a bad teacher. And the fight was on!

In Shanghai, the city buses are stick shift. In fact, most of the cars are stick too. But everyone there short shifts. I do believe some of those vehicles get worn out and never get over 1500 RPM. The city buses will go though an intersection and often get into 3rd, sometimes even 4th, before they exit it. Grates my soul to hear lugging motors.

#35 ·
A couple exes back thought an MG Midget was a cute little car. Most worthless piece of junk I ever owned. That was when we were living in Bend and I was driving for Shoemaker out of Boise. Well, she drove over to get me and lost the hydraulic slave for the clutch. What did she do? Start in gear and float gears. Kill it at a stop, then start back up in gear. When we got that junker home I fixed the clutch. Hated that car.

#41 ·
Running with Shoemaker in the mid-70s when they bought a bunch of new Mack cabovers with 350 fuel squeezers and 5 speeds. One of the most comfortable trucks I ever drove. Good suspension seats and A/C that actually cooled the whole cab. Pretty quiet, too. But that fuel squeezer was cut so far back you had to drop a gear at the sight of a slight hill. Or over pass.

It was OK on the flat ground in the prairie states, but nearly as bad as that Cummins 220NA I drove a couple trips out here with real hills. It had a power band from 1,000 RPM to about 2,100 PM. You'd drop over a thousand RPM between gears. If you were pulling any kind of grade you couldn't upshift until you got over the crest. Even on flat ground it would lug until it eventually made it to 1,200 RPM before you could feel it accelerate. A little. It ran empty like a real truck loaded. :doh:

Ironically my next wife's brother was a muckie-muck with Mack. He was the trouble shooter that got sent to dealerships around the county straightening out problems. Nice guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.