IFish Fishing Forum banner

Home School 2020-2021 School Year

914 views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  loper 
#1 ·
Rather than send our fourth grader to school this year - if it is open - we have decided to just go ahead and home school her. We practically have anyway, giving her reading, writing and 'rithmetic everyday in addition to whatever her teacher did. What we won't do is the joke of 'distance learning' like the last couple months of last term.

Anyone else considering home schooling their kids this year. Just curious since it seems to be a hot topic these days.

#2 ·
Sister’s grand kids are going to be. They are afraid of Covid though. Well, kind of ... they don’t distance from their friends and relatives that have it.

From what we’ve experienced, the online teaching varies wildly. My grandkid’s teacher was great. But, her cousin’s teaching in Olympia, WA is horrible. Apparently, it varied even inside the school districts.

#3 ·
Our daughter's 'distance learning' consisted of an hour meeting with her teacher on Monday and Tuesday mornings followed by some assignments to online sources. Waste of time. The assignments for the week got done in about an hour. S-K school district don't know what they are going to do in September but I like the idea of taking her fishing without having to deal with the school secretary. :palm:

#5 ·
Does this mean my taxes will go down due to not having to pay teachers and all that goes with schools? My kids are grown, so I'm good with that

#6 ·
Nope. Still get to pay taxes for schools including all those new bonds that were approved. At least home schooling doesn't cost a lot like a private school. Those folks really get hosed; pay for public schools and private tuition. Wonder if we will ever get real school choice.

#7 ·
It's a great idea to homeschool, pandemic or not, and once a child is 16 years old with a driver's license, he or she can enroll in community college and earn a transfer associates degree by high school graduation age and then can enroll at a university and graduate with a bachelor's degree at age 20.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Yep our two kids will be homeschooling this year. We got them into a homeschooling program when everything hit and the school district decided to wait almost 4 weeks before having anything ready to go. Our kids are totally on board and they like the idea of being able to go fishing or hunting and taking their school work with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I applaud those that have the fortitude to properly home school their children. :applause:

In his day and age of virus concerns and the contents being taught in a lot of (mostly urban) schools, I think it's great that parents are taking the initiative to educate the way that they feel will be of more benefit to their children.

That being said, some parents should absolutely NOT try to home school their children.

The education system as I knew it has sure changed. Some for the better, some not so much.

:flag2:

#11 ·
I'd consider it if my kids were younger. My kids are in High school. I've seen their math homework, and I don't remember any of that stuff. Signed them up for the flex online school for the first semester, likely the second as well.

One good thing with the online learning, you can listen in for that indoctrination everyone is talking about. I haven't heard any. They must only do it in person.

#13 · (Edited)
We home schooled our son and daughter when it was less popular. They went to public school for half of the years, then we decided to try.....with the understanding if it was not working.....back to public school.

My wife worked at school and said they wasted half the day.
I worked shift work and hardly saw them at times.
My wife at the time was very dedicated....this is why it worked.
Not for any religious reasons, at all....actually they did many other social activities, which some may not do today....(I would though)

We considered all the pros and cons.

It has changed a lot from then, but as my wife told others.....YOU (the parents) have to make the dedication, and she did do that.....she was semi flexible with my schedule....we built 2 boats, kids had farm animals, played with friends, went to shows, rode motorcycles, went on trips East with a camera, Canada and Mexico and many trips....and so on. It was on our schedule, a lot more freedom. They had part time work at the local feed store at 13...that was a lesson as well..

They had to go to school to do the California achievement test each year....and scored in the top 10%.

We had a wonderful family life, if you knew my kids, there is no social issues....my daughter is a RN, and my son owns a construction company.

DONT expect the children to be disciplined enough to just jump in, get involved, ask questions, and tell them how proud you are, ( when possible)......

#14 · (Edited)
I Take it your retired or wife doesnt work don G? Must be nice to have this option... I work 40 hours a week, sometimes 50 hours doing construction work and my wife's a manager at a ambulatory unit at kaiser Permanente. We come home tired.
Yeah, we'll have time for that?? pfffft.. who's going to have time to home school while working full time? It doesn't add up,,, i see a burnout in 3 weeks tops.

Imo What they are asking us to do is Ludacris. + have met wayyyy to many weirdo non social kids who were home schooled.. that in its self is a deal breaker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.