IFish Fishing Forum banner

How's your 2020 garden?

18K views 299 replies 64 participants last post by  Quiet Riot 
#1 ·
With everybody staying at home, somebody on here has to be doing some gardening. Let's see em.

#141 · (Edited)
Our vegetable garden(daughter did/is doing 90% of the work) is biggest & best ever, weather is playing a big part as this year the last freeze was a few weeks earlier than ave, & more sun than we have ever seen thus far too, I've been eating radishes, zucchini, carrots, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower & cucumbers in my lunch, some for over a month now, lettuce, & cabbage & other salad type stuff for dinner too, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, & blueberries are all doing well also, corn is over my head already, & maybe a week or so away from harvest, apple tree is full again, blackberries are looking good also, much more to harvest soon too, I really don't know the full extent, wife's flowers, herbs(no not that kind), & yard plants are biggest & best ever as well, awesome year thus far.

#143 ·
I split the first sungold for the kids yesterday; that plant is taller than I can reach, and has 175+ fruits on it right now. But the rest look to be at least a week and a half out. We have been eating zuchini for a week now, and the pea pods are still producing but starting to yellow and fizzle out. Salad greens still robust. Brocc all picked now, and cukes, cabbage, tomatillos all look excellent. Direct sown beets are still small, but will probably come around. Radishes completed and harvested. Bush beans and pole beans about a foot tall and look to be forming flowers. Rasperries and blueberries are more than we can pick. I picked about 2 flats of rasp's yesterday and today, and looks like there is 6more that the birds are gonna get. Apple trees loaded.

It's awesome so far, can't keep up with the harvest!!

#144 ·
Been eating peas for a while. The first planting is almost done. The second is just getting good and the third is just starting to flower. We found a good recipe for beef and snow peas, so we could use up the surplus before it would go bad. Zucinni are flowering, but the leaves are turning yellow. I've never seen them do this, but I'm going to go with it and see what happens. Have some tomatoes starting to form. Sunflowers are a foot tall now.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#147 ·
Harvested cherries and shared with the neighbors and made a ton of cherry juice. Found a great BBQ sauce recipe that uses cherries. Next year I will hold out a bunch of them and can up the BBQ sauce for Christmas presents.

Harvested the red currants a couple days ago and finished up the jelly yesterday. First year for harvest so hopefully I get more next year so that can be Christmas presents too.

For some reason the gooseberries didn't produce real well this year. Just enough to pick and eat as they ripened.

Next year I will have the raised beds finished and I can plant a regular garden too. I really, really, really miss fresh cukes.

#149 ·
Raspberry Jam done, picking Marion Berries to get enough for jam and pies. Blueberries were a bust compared to last year but my shade tree over took the plant. Need to do some trimming and transplanting. Problem is the deer love to eat every thing I put out side the fence. Made some new soil for the carrots but I guess they don't like it, can not get them to come up. Either that or the seeds. I bought some of the new seeds that have the cover over them, green color. Maybe a poor choice on seeds? Radishes are doing good, I have to much lettuce and can't get the neighbors to get over and get it, hate to see things go to waste. Spinach grew to fast also. Eating a lot of salads but the tomatoes are not ripe same with cucumbers, wish they all came ripe at the same time.

#150 ·
Was a bumper Cherry harvest for us, worms again tho, + seems no end to the ants this year, which seem to thrive cause of all the available sugar, were gonna cut down the Royal Ann this fall, but keep the Bing for now, Peas are plentiful too, thanks for reminding me, Daughter cooked a vegetable stir fry for dinner yesterday, with two kinds of Squash, Peas, Broccoli, & Cauliflower, Daughter is growing Pumpkins for pies & Halloween, not my favorite squash, shes growing Potatoes for the first time this year, should be harvest soon, wife is growing sunflowers mostly for bird food again, if we can keep the squirrels away.

#154 ·
Garden is pretty productive this year. Vegetables that usually bolt early have lasted much longer with the mild summer temps. I am digging the consistently moderate weather and occasional showers. I think I've only watered 6 or 7 times year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#156 ·
Thanks! "Oregano" is one of my faves! Glad they're legal to grow. The pole beans are definitely diggin' the teepee. I did it with 6' poles last year and the pole beans outgrew them pretty quickly. It appears the same is gonna be true for my 8' teepee this year, which is a problem I'm ok with.

#159 · (Edited)
Beans are doing well too, I just don't really know what we have til I see it. Daughter said we actually had 7 different types of squash she cooked for dinner last week, altho most were sub species that I never heard about like black zucchini. Are those "Oregano" plants a vegetable, fruit, flower, weed, or herb?

#161 ·
Need some problem solving. I love radishes, the red and white ones are by far my favorite. This spring I harvested plenty and now I am having a problem. I have been planting my seeds same depth and all I am getting the slender root no bulb of radish. This has now happened twice. Just a slender root no bulb to be eaten. Not sure what is causing this but this is the 2nd year this has happened. Spring is great later nothing. The ones this spring were big and tasty. Any ideas why this is happening, seeds not deep enough, not enough water, no green thumb, poor soil?????? Any help please.

#166 ·
Takes a little longer in Bend but starting to see some carrots peas and beans!
Nice yard/garden! You will reap the benefits soon enough.

I had a nice breakfast made predominantly from garden harvest. Potatoes, kale, carrots, peas, zucchini, peppers, sausage, sourdough toast, and pancakes with raspberries and blueberries.

Kale, carrots, peas, zucchini, raspberries, and blueberries were from the garden. I need to make a spot for potatoes next year.

I have yet to grow peppers well, although I do have a couple plants in the garden this year. They are failing me so far.

#169 ·
Oh yeah thanks for reminding me, we had our first home grown potatoes for dinner two nights ago, best potatoes ever. :food:

#177 ·
We planted tators for a coupla years. In 2 or 3 different beds.
Now so many volunteers, we don't need to replant.
We have russets, reds, purples, and yukon golds.
Been eating them for a couple weeks now.
Baby reds and the golds are my favorite. Specially on the barby. :meme:
Some of the russets are humongous. :thisbig:

#171 ·
We have been eating Walla Walla sweet onions for a month now.

Canned 30 pints of zucchini relish so far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#172 ·
Ate the first of many new potatoes in clam chowder tonight. Has my first cherry mater also. Salad but radishes and spinach are done for the season along with asparagus. Eating lots of green onions and chives on all the dishes. Ready for more mater's though.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

#173 ·
First very sweet corn of the season cooked for dinner last night, & again raw just now in my lunch, I like it better raw. :food:

#174 ·
Just pulled the first two plantings of peas yesterday. The 3rd is still producing but have a feeling with the heat it will be done soon. Picked a few more zucchini. Tomorrow plants are loading up, still not ready yet. I realized that I've planned them to close. Harvesting is going to be interesting. Hope the neighbors like tomatoes.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.