IFish Fishing Forum banner

Washington State Safe Start Plan will hit your travel

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  wak'm&stak'm 
#1 ·
Washington State has a NEW initiative under the Governor's Safe Start plan that brings together the DOT and state health. Sounds nice, right well its short term might be ok but its a foot in the door to less highway use for vehicles and more for bikes and walkers. Simply put any 35 mph highway can be reduced in lanes or even closed so businesses can begin to use the space and maintain social distancing. In the Long Beach area the consideration under discussion in Vancouver is no parking along SR 103 and reducing the speed in town to 15 mph. Another possibility is a closure through town pushing traffic to side streets.

Here is the basic reference to this and the rest of what I have said comes from people calling into Vancouver for more details. Heads up folks our roadways we drive on are under attack by those that don't drive.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/news/2020/...ns-some-low-speed-state-roadways-healthy-uses

#3 ·
It'll be like having a tender for your cruiser. Drive into the town parking lot "mooring bouy" then unload the electric bike "tender" and go into town. Do your shopping but make sure you have rack room on the bike for other than beer. Do they ticket you for an open beer on a bike? If not a new traveling liberty not available when vehicle is your transportation. Might need to consider a three wheel bike, more cargo capacity and don't need to worry about balance after a few too many travel libations. But racking that three wheeler onto the Smart car would be ugly, you know the saying something to do with a monkey. Its all about urban focus and maximizing density.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Interesting to see how it works out. Short term, it shoudl work well as traffic is down... But when things pick back up?

Just came across these stats. Found it interesting. There's a lot less people dying (from covid and non-covid cases) since the lockdowns have been going on in states where it has been strict. I'm guessing people not catching other communicable diseases,but also traffic reductions (less cars = less fatal accidents, bars closed = less DUI accidents), and who knows what else could impact it.* Some states that didn't seem to enforce it much, like Arizona, are showing slightly higher than usual deaths.

https://healthcostinstitute.org/hcci-research/daily-deaths-during-coronavirus-pandemic-by-state

Washington, California, and Oregon all show less daily deaths than the past 5 year average, even though population has increased in all three states over that timeframe to the peaks they are at this year.

California looks like about 50 less people per day are dying.* Seems significant.

Arizona

#6 ·
I was trying to view this the first day you posted but that little screen showed me nothing that seemed to be on the subject. However today on the computer those charts confirmed my assumption that all this covid is just a twist or spin on facts. Thanks for sharing, even if it was slightly off subject but well worthy of a good post.

#10 · (Edited)
I just think ( I know) there are some who really like to dwell on the drama, as well as those who think they can capitalize on it for political reasons. Not sure the networks aren’t digging the audience attention....... Snopro probably right about another group, if this doesn’t get over soon, they maybe correct. :pray:

None the less.... where are all those who were screaming about the Pandemic death tolls now.

I think it’s pretty clear, something isn’t very accurate with the virus stats.....or it would be reflected in an unusual increase in deaths.......

#11 ·
I was just reading where California's Orange County was counting tests that shouldn't have been included in the stats. "For more than five weeks, the county incorrectly included 30,000 serology tests – used to detect whether or not a person has antibodies for the virus, suggesting they previously had an infection – into their "cumulative tests to date" figures, the Los Angeles Times reported."

Like I've been saying all along, numbers are fluffy.

#12 ·
many reasons deaths per day have gone down since 2014. less people smoke, people, are eating better, there is better health care every year and better medicines. cars get safer, job safety is increasing, etc.

when looking at statistics its hard to rule out all the sideline things that can affect the results.

#13 ·
I don't believe the numbers one bit. Especially when we are told that everyone that comes into the ER is a presumptive case and it is up to the physician to prove it otherwise. I had to double read that email and that was several weeks ago. We have more traumas, head bleeds, OD's, and other medical issues than we do Covid. We where busy first 3-4 weeks as we tried to figure out all the stuff thrown at us. Now it's just part of the routine. We haven't been overwhelmed or come close to it. Take this only as my personal observation.

#14 ·
There was a copy of a letter from the WHO for coding Covid-19 deaths that was posted on FB before being removed. It gave clear instruction to attending physicians that if the person died with what they suspected was the virus the coding for the death should be covid-19 without need of testing. That clarified the question that if you were in hospice on your last leg and you contracted the virus or had flu or cold like symptoms at time of death you were a Covid victim regardless of why you were in hospice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.