IFish Fishing Forum banner

Questions for Ram truck owners

2K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  Brokeass Boater 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a cheap, gas powered, gen 2 Ram pickup to get me by towing my boat until I find the right used diesel. I’m thinking of adding a set of the later model (gen 4?) flip-out towing mirrors, but this raises some questions. I have noticed that every 4x4 Ram truck I see that has them runs them fully extended all the time. Is this mandatory in order to be in the cool kids club? Will I have to buy some flat-billed Addicted hats to reduce the glare? Is smacking mirrors as you pass another Ram owner sorta like a Dodge high-five? I’m so confused; maybe I should have bought another Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
You have to buy a Ford to be in the cool kids club. :D Seriously though, I think you can run your mirrors either way. My Ford mirrors power extend and GM has had that option for years. I think Ram people leave theirs out to see better backing up when they need it. They’d have to get out and walk around to extend them otherwise with no power option.

#3 ·
The mirrors do not extend like a Ford. I know what you mean by the look, it took me a while to get used to them. When you flip them up it just makes them look like they are sticking out farther. They are actually the same length just taller when flipped up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
to be in the cool club you have to have the passenger side flipped up and the drivers side down ;)

#10 ·
Same, mine are down all the time, even pulling a utility trailer or boat, but put them up to pull my travel trailer or camper if I remember to do it. I don't have to get out to put it up on the driver side, and a passenger can tip there's up. I don't notice any blind spots at all. Sometimes in tight parking situations, I'll pull my street side mirror in to avoid it getting hit.

#11 ·
I too only use with the travel trailer. They do look ridiculous out. One time crossing the Stark st bridge over the Sandy river I pulled my drivers side in because the guy coming the opposite direction had them clear out. When he went by I put my arm out to gently close his. :whistle:

#12 · (Edited)
There is a misconception that these Ram owners are pulling “ghost trailers”, this is simply not the case. There is a “stealth trailer mode” that can only be engaged by pushing the little overhead map/console light twice in quick succession. This also must be done with the “tow/haul” feature is engaged. Most guys forget to turn it off, because that stupid little light doesn’t turn off. Keeping the mirrors upright reminds them the trailer is still back there.

(I am a 2018 Ram 2500 owner, and I think they look silly with the mirrors up and no trailer.)

A young neighbor of mine has a 2019 Ram Rebel. It is white with all black trim. He keeps his mirrors up all the time. His truck reminds me of a football referee raising his arms after a touchdown or field goal. Haha

Also, per the owner’s manual:

Notice the position of my mirrors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
As a previous RAM 2500 owner I liked the mirrors and when up only changed the width an inch or so, minor if you ask me. Compare the Dodge to the other two trucks and what sets the RAM mirrors apart is when up the bracket looks unbalanced being from the bottom of the mirror. My Ford mirrors seem out further than the my RAM but they are balanced with two brackets, one top and bottom making them seem closer to the truck by appearance. If in trailer tow mode and slid all the way out I'm always worried I'm going to wack a mirror which would be VERY costly, around $1100 a mirror.

#24 ·
In Washington you are in violation of the over width limit of 8 feet with the mirrors extended without pulling a trailer. Also you sure don't want to hit a pedestrian in the head because you had your mirrors extended just to be like Joe Cool. I have extended on my GMC and keep them in when not towing, however I meet rigs all the time on the narrow county roads with their mirrors all the way out and no towed trailer that causes me to suck in my breath as I don't know if they are going to keep from hitting my rig.

#25 ·
I have an 09 with the flip up mirrors. I only run them in the up position when pulling the travel trailer. When we are vacationing with the trailer I leave them up, because I hate have to readjust them everyone they are flipped up or down. If they have a seat adjustment memory, why can't they have a mirror memory?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
My 2004 Duramax had power out/in mirrors. Nice feature. I now have a 2019 GMC Denali. Power fold, which is really nice when maneuvering the boat in to the storage slot and have to be near the camper across from me. The extend is manual. The 2004, power extend did not always work on the passenger side, as the clutch eventually slipped. So pretty much manual. The GMC motors are the best I have ever had on a vehicle. The two piece mirror is the bomb. The lower section lets you see next to the truck and look for cars in the regular mirror blind spot. The upper mirror is power adjusting and can see the trailer and traffic a distance behind.

#29 ·
You are right. Without measuring i would bet all those trucks with mirrors extended all the way out will be less than 8-6.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#31 ·
HAha, must be a Oregon thing, ghost trailer. Heard that for the first time visiting my Son in Springfield a couple years ago. I have a Ram Dually, they do add more rear visibility flipped up. Easy to see the difference in the two positions with the truck camper on. Here in the San Joaquin Delta, we have several old narrow bridges and we have to pull the mirrors in when crossing if they are flipped up.pretty funny post by the OP,,,gregg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.