CR Marine Area #1 Reports - Page 5 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #241
mainer
Chromer

Default Re: CR Marine Area #1 Reports

Back to the reports. Wen out Saturday. Crossed the bar about 630 am. Fished until 2pm. 5 silvers kept. 23 total caught. Herring and super baits were the ticket. Fished 3 rods. 17,23,25 on the counters with divers. All got bit. Fished in front of Long Beach by the dogs where the kite festival was going on!!!

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #242
Contango
Cutthroat

We were out on Saturday 8/24 with 2 on board. Crossed the bar at 6:30 and up to Long Beach around N46 23 in 30' to 40' of water trolling herring behind a fish flash (one green and the other red). Fished around and north up to about N46 28 (farther than we usually need to go) where between 10am and 11:15 we got our 2 Cohos and 2 Kings. The Cohos were 6# to 8# and the Kings were 14# and 17#. The Red Fish Flash seemed to be better this day as it caught both Kings and one of the Cohos. Also interesting was that the leader was shorter than usual as we fished the river the prior week where I used a 3' leader instead of the usual 5' to 6' leader...

The only other action was an early soft bite that chewed a herring and a Thresher Shark that took his tax bill out of our leader. All in all a very nice day for us.

Brent
Contango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #243
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contango View Post
We were out on Saturday 8/24 with 2 on board. Crossed the bar at 6:30 and up to Long Beach around N46 23 in 30' to 40' of water trolling herring behind a fish flash (one green and the other red). Fished around and north up to about N46 28 (farther than we usually need to go) where between 10am and 11:15 we got our 2 Cohos and 2 Kings. The Cohos were 6# to 8# and the Kings were 14# and 17#. The Red Fish Flash seemed to be better this day as it caught both Kings and one of the Cohos. Also interesting was that the leader was shorter than usual as we fished the river the prior week where I used a 3' leader instead of the usual 5' to 6' leader...

The only other action was an early soft bite that chewed a herring and a Thresher Shark that took his tax bill out of our leader. All in all a very nice day for us.

Brent

Good report. You did well. A lot boats where searching and searching. Pretty hard to stay on fish IMO this year. We fished Long Beach off condo’s and found some then moved outside near buoy 1. Ended up with 11 fish on and landed 7 for 2 rods. Delta divers and anchovies but one rig had a rogue style spinner ahead of the bait. It fished well. 25’ to 30’ on the counter. Only kept 2 coho. The natives released where pretty nice coho. Also saw another shark. Lots of sharks this year. !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derrick454@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #244
Highbank101
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWTIII View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbank101 View Post
They say we’️ve got 59% of the quote for silvers yet they don’️t even count the fish when we come in lol
Each of the 4 trips I’️ve made out of Ilwaco when coming back they ask if we have any chinook and that’️s it. I say, nope just coho and they don’️t even want to see them. So how they figure 59% of the quota when they don’️t even check the fish lol
I’️m sure in all reality 150% of the quota has been caught.
You should stop fishing immediately. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/passout.gif[/IMG]

Nope. I’ll just keep fishing and keep taking fish that don’t go against the quota lol 😆
Highbank101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #245
Hiflyball25
Coho

The estimation will not be necessary after next year so it is a mute point, with the online license and tags, they will immediately know who took what kind of salmon, halibut, and sturgeon size and from where
Hiflyball25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #246
Jeb
Steelhead

Any reports?

thx
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #247
robby
Steelhead

3 pob 2 hatchery coho kept lost one chinook turned 3 wilds turned lose north of the condos 70 to 25 feet of water

robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:20 AM   #248
Jeb
Steelhead

How are the coho looking out in the ocean? Any increase in size? Eggs still BB size?
This thread has been really quiet...
Old 08-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #249
cougman
Tuna!

Today was a long day. Ran north, ran outside of 1, ran to the CR Bouy and in. Best action was after 2 inside. End the day with 2. Clip rate was horrible.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #250
saltaddict
Chromer

Thanks for the reports

saltaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #251
Jeb
Steelhead

Thanks guys for the report. A little disconcerting given the large return forecasted; would have hoped for a better clip rate.

J
Old 09-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #252
Soulakala
King Salmon

I'm stuck this weekend tending a G sale (total boredom) but talking to some guys coming in it sounded like the fleet has now moved off of LB. The fish must be in close as two ladies said the boats they watched were just outside the breakers.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #253
2slow
Chromer

2 sport boats fishing close in at the moment. Charter fleet is further out and on the southern end of the peninsula. More like Beards Hollow.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #254
FLIR_Dave
Cutthroat

Updates?? Heading out tmrrw am
...not too early due to big exchange...will likely cross the bar around 9am.
FLIR_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #255
russeeee
Steelhead

To verify, Any Chinook and clipped only coho out in ocean out of Columbia river with a two fish limit, only one being a Chinook...is that correct?
russeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #256
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Wow, showed up at dock around 7:30 and it looked like a beautiful day, no wind and the sun coming through the clouds. Turned the corner by the coast guard station around 9:00 am to find a vicious bar. Should've turn around and played in the river. After crossing the bar we discovered a grumpy ocean. White sheep every where. My friends going out for tuna turned around. We got one silver and called it. The huge crab saved the day and the neighbors were happy to get some crab.

If it were me I would not go out until this south wind changes. Not a lot of fun. Took one wave over the front off the windshield. Saturday was better than today and the forecast for today (2' wind wave and 4' swell at 9' ) looked better. It wasn't great for sure.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #257
Tjmass
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by russeeee View Post
To verify, Any Chinook and clipped only coho out in ocean out of Columbia river with a two fish limit, only one being a Chinook...is that correct?
Correct.
Tjmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #258
basin212
Steelhead

fished 8/31 fished CR buoy for two silvers moved north with the wind and the waves for nothing back to the CR for 2 Chinook to finish the limit!

basin212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #259
jokofish
Chromer

This extended weekend was a tale of 2 cities for me. Sunday was a very good fishing off the lighthouse and Long Beach. On Sun four of us boated 4 decent Chinook and a one keeper silver before heading in around 1PM. Monday was scratchy with just 2 silvers and one 8-10# Chinook that I wished later to have kept!! Came in Monday around 1 as well. Two very nice days on the ocean with different results. It sounds like we should have fished south onMonday.. Always a tough call which direction to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	729919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	729921  

Last edited by jokofish; 09-04-2019 at 07:23 AM.
jokofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #260
russeeee
Steelhead

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjmass View Post
Correct.
russeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #261
flatocean
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokofish View Post
This weekend was a tale of 2 cities for me. Saturday was a very good fishing off the lighthouse and Long Beach. On Sat four of us boated 4 decent Chinook and a one keeper silver before heading in around 1PM. Sunday was scratchy with just 2 silvers and one 8-10# Chinook that I wished later to have kept!! Came in Sunday around 1 as well. Two very nice days on the ocean with different results. It sounds like we should have fished south on Sunday.. Always a tough call which direction to go.
we were up off Long beach Monday and it was dead for us. Great ocean though
flatocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #262
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

So those of you still fishing for salmon in the big pond, do they still have small eggs, small milk sacs?
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #263
cobra
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin"G"man View Post
So those of you still fishing for salmon in the big pond, do they still have small eggs, small milk sacs?
Two of the hatchery hens (coho) we caught last weekend out of Newport had nearly mature eggs.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #264
basin212
Steelhead

Quote:

The URB in our limit had fully mature eggs in her
basin212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #265
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Thanks folks. My question had a hidden agenda...

I was curious how ready the coho are to coming in the CR. If they're getting fatter/bigger and eggs are mature the "B" run is coming faster than I figured.

It doesn't sound like they're schooled up however. That may not be worthwhile criteria but gathering all the data I can helps me prepare for the best coho fishing show on the river.

My next concern is the daily Coho count is getting up there. Will the B run fish be mostly nates or hatchery fish? I know the lower tributaries have the hatcheries (therefore not counted at Bonneville) but where do I obtain the return to hatchery criteria at this point in the game?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #266
smoky
Chromer

Got 2 hens in river yesterday and eggs fairly mature.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #267
North dog
Coho

Fished Friday between bouy 7 and 3 two rods 3 lost 1 native 4 nice silvers landed 2 hours fishing all fish kept we're all bucks
North dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #268
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

Looks like the ocean dried up. No reports?
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #269
Cachalot
Steelhead

I went out on Thursday. There were 4 of us on board. The tide was still running out and we stopped south of buoy 6 on river/ocean water rip that the birds were actively working. We got nothing but jellyfish and some grass. As the ebb subsided, we tacked across the channel from west of buoy 4 heading north. As we neared the green line between buoys 7 and 3, we started to get our first action of the day. The south wind was increasing so we trolled to the northwest off Benson Beach. We stayed in this area the rest of the day and ended up with 3 keepers. We turned back 5 high-fins.
Cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #270
Mark Youngblood Sportfishing

Fished salmon north today for the first time since early August. 21-25 line north 30-70 feet of water, 5 rods, 17 chances, 6 keepers and 7 fish released...very slow day as far as I am concerned...not another boat in sight all day
Mark Youngblood Sportfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #271
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Fast and furious today two hours and limits. Crossed the bar at 7:30 and dropped pots. Trolled NW in relation to the lighthouse with southwest wind pushing us. Furious bites. Lost 5 at the boat boarded mostly hatch for a change.

Off the water by 10:30 with limits. Nice grade of fish.Great crab too.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:43 AM   #272
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockinson man View Post
Fast and furious today two hours and limits. Crossed the bar at 7:30 and dropped pots. Trolled NW in relation to the lighthouse with southwest wind pushing us. Furious bites. Lost 5 at the boat boarded mostly hatch for a change.

Off the water by 10:30 with limits. Nice grade of fish.Great crab too.

Great job but are you sure this wasn't a post from early July?
Old 09-14-2019, 06:14 AM   #273
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Great job but are you sure this wasn't a post from early July?
It was crazy, I was anticipating sporadic bites like we've seen all year. I followed a rip out after dropping pots behind south jetty. I didn't see any commercial pots where I usually do. We headed towards one along rip. My plan was to let the south west wind push me towards the lighthouse. The problem was the incoming was strong and the swell was 7 at 11 seconds so you know exactly what that looks like. In order for the rods to crank over and get good spin I had to hit the swell at a 45 degree angle yet still trying to head toward the lighthouse where I thought more fish would be staging. About mid way in the big CR ship channel all hell broke loose. Pulls slamming down at the same time and the chineses fire drill begins. It actually felt like it was 2008 when you catch a fish on a can opener with a hook on it or anything with bling. We lost five, my buddy looked a little green in the face and was slower than usual on the net. Then in minutes fish on the deck and punched out cards. Not trying to create a sense of false hope, maybe we got lucky, but is this projected big silver run starting to come in?? I hope so. We came in to see lots of boats by 10 in a major washing machine. Almost felt guilty driving by with our limit in fish and crab headed back to the dock.
Before I crossed the bar I asked if anyone had a report on the ocean. One kind soul came across the radio saying it's good. I owe that guy big time for yesterday. If you're on here " thank you".! I almost turned around, glad I didn't, if chummers on board I would've played bumper cars around 10. I would watch reports close in the event it's not hype and we actually have a big silver run B coming our way.

Last edited by Hockinson man; 09-14-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #274
edressen
Steelhead

I heard you call out for a report yesterday morning. Sadly I couldn't hear the other end. We stayed on the inside for two keeper coho one nice Buck and good crab fishing.

Nice to hear there was some good fishing out there.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
edressen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #275
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edressen View Post
I heard you call out for a report yesterday morning. Sadly I couldn't hear the other end. We stayed on the inside for two keeper coho one nice Buck and good crab fishing.

Nice to hear there was some good fishing out there.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Dang it, I think you would've had some fun out there.. It was a little rough going as we trolled north. Good to hear you caught some on the inside. I was wondering about crabbing inside after all the rain. Good to know.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #276
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

The bar was not bad Saturday morning (once they opened it) so we headed out toward the north. We had heard of fish caught 50-60 fow off Long Beach the day before so that was our goal. ROUGH water made it difficult to spot rips but birds did help a little. We plopped our anchovies in west of the stick and started to go east. HAHAHA... The wind pushed us north so north south it was... Pretty good day for 3 guys! We had a few doubles, 17 hits in total, 13 to the boat, 4 in the bag. Very few hammer down catches, Bounce bounce bounce... then the pole dance. Many had to be coaxed to latch on with stripped line. Yes... that does work. Salted fresh anchovies were the baits they liked best.

We played the odds until the north side got a little to sporty for us but for just 3 hrs of fishing I'd say we did pretty well. Decent size fish too!

A word of caution... Some square tail coho with purple sides really had us fooled, the black lips didn't follow to the gums and no black dots. Bonks were held off until the lips were open to reveal the true identity. Good thing we double looked!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #277
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
The bar was not bad Saturday morning (once they opened it) so we headed out toward the north. We had heard of fish caught 50-60 fow off Long Beach the day before so that was our goal. ROUGH water made it difficult to spot rips but birds did help a little. We plopped our anchovies in west of the stick and started to go east. HAHAHA... The wind pushed us north so north south it was... Pretty good day for 3 guys! We had a few doubles, 17 hits in total, 13 to the boat, 4 in the bag. Very few hammer down catches, Bounce bounce bounce... then the pole dance. Many had to be coaxed to latch on with stripped line. Yes... that does work. Salted fresh anchovies were the baits they liked best.

We played the odds until the north side got a little to sporty for us but for just 3 hrs of fishing I'd say we did pretty well. Decent size fish too!

A word of caution... Some square tail coho with purple sides really had us fooled, the black lips didn't follow to the gums and no black dots. Bonks were held off until the lips were open to reveal the true identity. Good thing we double looked!
Ocean fishing into mid September, wow, Great report & Yes stripping back line works good, they will come back and hit it again violently.....
Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #278
CKthumper
Sturgeon

I had a retired commercial fisherman tell me that once a salmon has scratched a herring with a tooth, no other salmon will hit it... I told him of my experiences otherwise, and he replied "Maybe it works for sports, but it doesn't for commercial".
Old 09-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #279
PDXanglr
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKthumper View Post
I had a retired commercial fisherman tell me that once a salmon has scratched a herring with a tooth, no other salmon will hit it... I told him of my experiences otherwise, and he replied "Maybe it works for sports, but it doesn't for commercial".

So by his theory, salmon that bite at commercial gear are a higher-grade, more discerning fish?? LOL
PDXanglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #280
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKthumper View Post

Chinook may turn their nose on a scratched bait but a hungry saltwater coho a different story.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #281
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

I contend it isn't that the herring got "scratched" it ruined the presentation.