Safety gear placement - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
Tjmass
Cutthroat

Default Safety gear placement

In the process of setting up my new to me pilothouse and I'm curious how others have placed their various safety gear. I have mounted my cat II EPIRB and spare handheld VHF just inside the cabin door. I'm thinking I will probably throw the handheld in a ditch bag when underway but just mounted it there because it's close to the charging station. The item I'm having the hardest time placing is the 6 man Viking life raft in a valise. It's fairly bulky and heavy. I don't really want it in the main cabin as space is somewhat limited but I also don't want it in the front bow area because it may be difficult to quickly crawl in the front acecess and wrestle the bulky raft back to the deck. Would placing it on top the cabin be an option? At the same time I want it close to my ditch bag as I don't want to be running all over the boat getting safety gear. Maybe a way to alleviate that would be to assign crew a specific item to grab i.e. One gets EPIRB, one gets life raft etc. This is my first boat and while I am doing my fair share of learning the hard way I'm not interested in the school of hard knocks when my crew and myself may be in danger. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Tjmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
sarmstrong
Steelhead

My epirb is also just inside door, my valise raft got upgraded to a canister on the roof. Ditch bag is under seat by door.
It's hard to find a place for everything in a pilot house... Hence the reason for the next boat being a converted commercial about 50 foot or so
sarmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Irishrover
Tuna!

Default Re: Safety gear placement

6 man Viking mounted in cannister on top of the pilot house, epirb mounted on deck in self release canister. Hand held vhf fits in pocket of the self inflating life vest. Having the raft mounted gets it out of the way yet very accessible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	725273  
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Threeweight
Ifish Nate

My ditch bag, with hand-held VHF and PLB, is stored behind the captains seat between it and the starboard bench seat/storage box.

I mounted my EPIRB bracket to my rear helm station, so it is easily accessible by people out fishing on the rear deck, or can be grabbed as someone goes out the cabin door.

I don't have a raft yet... I do store gumby/survival suits in the center storage area under my bow, accessed by a door in the cabin under my bow step.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #5
FireHead
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrover View Post
6 man Viking mounted in cannister on top of the pilot house, epirb mounted on deck in self release canister. Hand held vhf fits in pocket of the self inflating life vest. Having the raft mounted gets it out of the way yet very accessible.
I agree with all that. My auto-release EPIRB is on the roof though.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
Tjmass
Cutthroat

Sounds like I should have gone the canister route for the life raft. Does anyone have any experience / recommendations for the valise?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
LuckyKAST
Cutthroat

Tjmass,

If you are out of Newport, I would be happy to show you what I have in my 29 pilothouse. I fish alone with my 14 year old son and safety was a paramount concern for me and the moms. Everyone has a different threshold and budget for safety stuff so what worked for me to sleep easy may be different for others.

I am on my second season and made a few changes to the safety layout. All the boats I have had or been on are different so suggesting a specific layout is tough. I generally think of it in a kind of tiered way based on the level of urgency of the issue. For example:

1) things immediately available and on my person and first mate attached to our life jackets. (For mob, entanglement, etc)
—water strobe, wireless kill switch, PLB, small knife, whistle

2) things I can get to in 10 seconds. (Fire, abandon ship, collision, man in water, capsize)
—ditch bag (Epirb, flares, food, spare vhf, first aid)
—the red button on the DSC VHF
—fire extinguisher(s)
—Spare Air bottle and mask
—life raft (I chose the valise over canister for several reasons - weight and accessibility being primary with concern over the hydrostatic release failing to deploy secondary)
—survival suit
—cell phone
—boat pole(s)
—throwable life ring

3) things I can get to in under 30 seconds (injuries, damage, taking on water)
—first aid kit (separates into common and urgent as well as rare and ‘can wait’)
—leak stop, bungs, stay afloat, patches ring clamps, etc.

4) things I can get to eventually
—stuff like a spare anchor, sea anchor
—medicine, emergency food, water
—tools for electrical repair, jump start battery, spare fuel
—life jackets
—fuel filters, engine consumables, spare gas.
—fenders

The list goes on but that is how I think about it. I am sure I will find another way to go overboard next year. Already on the list is a AIS transponder.

I learned a lot browsing the forums and am sure others will chime in.

Hope that helps.
LuckyKAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #8
Tjmass
Cutthroat

Lucky, I will be running out of Ilwaco and hadn't planned on being down south but thanks for the invite. Your take on level of urgency categories makes a lot of sense and should help with the my placement of various safety items. Thanks.