Fish Rite boats anyone know these boats - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 02-08-2003, 07:54 PM   #1
Sturgeon Tom
Tuna!

Default Fish Rite boats anyone know these boats

I saw one at the Sportsman Show and it sure looked nice. Had a neet transom, that held sinkers and plano boxes.
I just don't know anything about the boat or their reputation.
Can anyone help.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
Keta

Default Re: Fish Rite boats anyone know these boats

Well built boat. The employees all take pride in their work.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
Uncle Roman
Chromer

http://www.fish-rite.com/ I sure saw a lot of fish-rites on the Rogue, I am looking at either fish-rite or Koffler now...........
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2003, 08:07 PM   #4
1pump
King Salmon

They've been around for a while. Just don't see many on the water, for some reason. :whazzup:
Old 02-08-2003, 08:11 PM   #5
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

Lotsa southcoast guides use them. Gilly, Skip Baldwin and quite a few others. I saw that same one at the show. Really neat compartment setup around the tiller. One of the nicest storage and fishbox layouts I've seen, too. 22' for apx $32k on sale!

They are built down in Medford/White City, just a few blocks away from the rest of the boatwelding outfits.

Willie, X-Jetcraft, Fishrite and a ways up the road ,Alumaweld, all conviently located so you can go to the factory to shop and compare!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:17 PM   #6
riverraider
Chromer

a very well built boat by people who know how to build one. Located 100 feet from Willie boats. A little more money than a Willie depending on the specifics, but still a good value. Do yourself a favor. Set up a tour and demo at Fish-Rite and Willie. They are literally 100 feet apart and you can really weigh the differences. Irregardless, you can't make a bad decision.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:29 AM   #7
Empire
Chromer

Last year, after about 6 months of research and test drives, everything from Alumaweld to North River, I bought a Fish Rite. I dealt with the owner, Jamie, who knows his stuff.

Jamie never once said a bad thing about anyone elses boat. It was refreshing after listening to salesmen knock other's boats, even though I knew there were other good boats out there. Jamie said that you have to build a good boat, or you are out of business. He warrantees the boat for a lifetime.

I limited my choices down to North River (I grew up in Roseburg) and Fish Rite. I had to go with an 18' boat, so I could keep it in my garage. In the NR, I was limited to one model that they made so short. It was very limited on options, and there were things I wanted but could not get. The FishRite had many things standard, or Jamie built them into my boat. Jamie even cut a custom length (17'9) for me. The price was about $500 more than the NR, but had many more features (note: I do not know if the numbers will reproduce, me and a buddy both bought boats, so I had extra negotiating power).

You do not see as many FishRites out there because they are a smaller company. You can actually call the shop and talk to the owner!

One more note to Sturgeon Tom. I am sorry about the boat you lost. I read all of the posts about it, but frankly I did not know what to say to you to express my concern of your loss. Accidents happen, so if one is going to happen, it is best that nobody goes down with the ship.

Drop me a email if you want any more info on FishRite, or my dealings with them. You are probably after an open sled type. I went with a v hull, windshield with outboard prop (no, not for sale).

[ 02-09-2003, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Empire ]
Old 02-09-2003, 06:30 AM   #8
rebell
Tuna!

Years ago I set up tours of willies and fish rite shops. No one else would let me see there constuction facilities. After looking at the way fish rite did things, there was no doubt that they were the boat I wanted. So I ordered a 20' sled, to this day I think it was the nicest ride I have been in. Truely a well built, and good handeling boat. I have also had 3 of Jamies drift boats over the years. If you decide to go to a fish rite, you will be happy.

Sturgeon tom, sorry about your last boat. Im glad you and your friends made it o.k. Good luck in your seach to replace your old boat.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:35 AM   #9
Straydog
King Salmon

Jamie, like many of our local boat builders learned the trade from Willie.

They all make very good boats!
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:26 AM   #10
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Len Self, one of the north coast's best guides has been using FishRite for the last few years. Saw him at the sportsmens show and saw the pictures of his new 27 footer that FishRite is building him. He is keeping his older one also for small rivers such as the Clack etc. I think that boat is at least 7 years old and lots of use without failure. If it's good enough for him, I wouldn't hesitate getting one the next time I'm in the market to replace what I have now.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:50 AM   #11
Sturgeon Tom
Tuna!

I am getting grate feedback guys and I really appreciate it. Tom
Old 02-09-2003, 08:52 AM   #12
andy-ap emerger
Steelhead

Holy smokes! I too was equally impressed at Fish-Rite. At the boat show I sat in a bunch of DB's. With intent to buy/upgrade, at one "Mega-Large" boat builder, they didn't notice me ( dressed in dirty jeans as I had been working in the garage) Just basically blew me off. pfff, their boats were too pricey I thought anyway
I really liked the Koffler, Clackacraft 16 Bench model and the Fish-Rite.
At the sportsmans show, the great fellow working at Fishrite was VERY courteous, explainitory, and actually expressed concern and listened instead of just blabbing (anyone here in sale$ ?)
It's now between the Clacka & Fish-rite...
More details soon.
andy-ap emerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #13
Keta

Nothing wrong with Willie or Koffler boats either. In fact I feel that Koffler builds the better boat, but they all make a nice ones.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:27 PM   #14
ssteelheadsteve
Chromer

By far the Best designed and built boat available. Fish-Rite is # 1. Willie Sleds are a close 2nd. Forget the " Bricks " that have full side glass and hardtops.
ssteelheadsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:54 PM   #15
Mad Mikey
Sturgeon

Wow, years ago it was Fishrite who built a very comparable driftboat to Willie and the package price was around 1K less. I guess that has changed or are we just talking sleds here?
I have a 92' 16ft guide model, it has a high bow and is a great boat for whitewater although it seems a bit on the heavy side when compared to others.
I'm in the market for a new one, have checked out Hyde, Koffler and Willie, and of course Fishrite.
The first three seem very similar in pricing, Hydes are a bit on the high side for me but the guys I know who have them would not trade them for anything else. Anybody here have opinions about the Hyde boats? Especially that little low bow model with the improved rocker design and the ???1100lb capacity rating?
They sure look like they would take on a lot of water in rough stuff but supposedly the newer design helps you sail right over the big waves. Thoughts???
Old 02-10-2003, 04:46 AM   #16
ZaQ
Sturgeon

I have an older Fishrite drifter, and have dealt with the customer service once or twice. They have been very helpful, and get me what I need very quickily. Boat Works in Tualitin or Wilsonville is the dealer. Check em out!!
Old 02-10-2003, 05:28 AM   #17
Premo
Tuna!

I owned a fish-rite rivermaster sled and it was a really neat boat. Went through shallow water well and turned on a dime. The koffler flat bottoms look cool too.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:46 AM   #18
hey-it's-me

i bought a used rogue1 last spring- just a little 17' with brinkley top & seats maybe a motor that's a little to big, but have really enjoyed this decision- i understand that boat works 11 has a place down by wilsonville- i hope to check it out
hey-it's-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:13 PM   #19
fop
Ifish Nate

There have been several Fish-Rites blow the bottom out on the Kenai River. Some of them never lasted a season without cracking the bottom. These are very poor boats for the Kenai. My Willie Predator, except for some paint wearing off the interior, lasted so far nine years and still as good as new.

I have a guide working for me, running a Fish-Rite power boat, and before the season was over he was having to run the bilge pump all the time he was fishing so it wouldn't sink.

I would look elsewhere to buy a sled.

fop
Old 02-10-2003, 12:23 PM   #20
Keta

fop,
I don't understand why. FishRight has a much better stringer design than Willie.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:47 PM   #21
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

Nothing wrong with fish-rite but remember Jamies background comes from alumaweld. Its just a good copy with some new design features.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #22
Keta

And Alumaweld came from Willey.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:48 PM   #23
Sturgeon Tom
Tuna!

fop You say there have been several Fish-Rites blow the bottoms out. Just where are you getting that information. I don't think Gilly would use a boat that the bottom would brake out of. I need some more information so I can check on this myself.
There are a lot of people saying a lot of good things and then there is you. You see my dilemma.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:51 PM   #24
Nanook

Quote:
Originally posted by Keta:
And Alumaweld came from Willey.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helv">Willie ole' wise one, Willie.

[ 02-10-2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]
Old 02-10-2003, 05:19 PM   #25
Keta

Ever see a one handed drift boat rower?
Old 02-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #26
fop
Ifish Nate

Sturgeon Tom, I don't make up things. When I post something it is what I know for sure.

As I posted the guide that works for me had his break big time. New boat last season. He burned out his bilge pump keeping the water out. He had to install a new bilge pump during the season.

And there is also a couple of guides, husband and wife combo, that live in Soldotna who's boats also broke the bottoms. They have very bad vibes for Fish-Rites. These are three guides that have worked for me on several occasions.

I guess 3 is not several but 3 is bad to me. All with the same break in the same place. There must be others that I do not know about. Not gonna go there..

I have looked at all three of them. Yes, I think they are a poor excuse of a boat. My Willie has seen a lot more work in the last 9 years than most people put on a boat in a lifetime and still looks and runs great.

fop
Old 02-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #27
rebell
Tuna!

fop,

I am suprised by what you say. My old fish rite sled was a kenai light. I ran that boat on the deschutes, clackamas, and just about everywhere else in the state. Never had any problems what so ever.

I have seen all brands of boats have problems over the years, most times it was the operator abusing the hull more than anything else. That would include willie, alumaweld, koffler, north river and jetcraft. Most times you dont hear about it because the owner takes a lot of pride in his boat and wants to keep the resale value of his pride and joy were it should be.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:01 PM   #28
Jeff98541

Tom I had a 15ft fishrite with a 90/65 on it. I loved the boat. the only problem i had in the 5 yrs i had it was the lifting stikes pulled away from the hull. I called jamie and talked to him. He was really good about fixing it for me with no questions asked. and no I didn't hit anything. honestly i think i overpowered it a bit much and over the yrs of running the cowlits and our coastal rivers just took it's towl. i don't think you could go wrong with a fishrite. just my 2cents worth. good luck jeff
Jeff98541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:17 PM   #29
JPSFISHY
Steelhead

Hey Tom, I know a few guides that fish Alaska as well, and all the reports are they love their FR Boats. I've looked hard over the years, and being a fabricator myself, and having over 20+ years in field sales, I'm very critical at times. I know quality when I see it! AND, the big deal is service. It seams that Fish-Rite takes care of any complaints/problems with priority. That speaks for itself. I'm looking hard at the 21/66 driftboat for my service. Quality/price/service will sell me. No service No sell.
I don't think you could realisticly talk any sled manufature, that hasn't had a complaint/failure of some sort, at some time, for whatever reason.??? It's that pride and support after the sale that tells the story.
my .02
we need to go fishin
Old 02-10-2003, 09:17 PM   #30
Sturgeon Tom
Tuna!

JPSFISHY Thanks and to all thanks. JP just give me a call I am ready anytime.
Tom
Old 02-10-2003, 09:29 PM   #31
Keta

Tom,
I don't think you'll be unhappy with a FishRight.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:50 AM   #32
tailchaser
Sturgeon

I own a 20' Fishrite Explorer and it's a sweet setup. I have storage everywhere, and the boat handles every type of rough water one can imagine in the ocean and then I can go in 2' water up the rogue. I'm not sure if I'll ever get rid of it. Definitely a great boat.

tc
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:07 AM   #33
hey-it's-me

it's hard to keep from getting 2 ft.itis with any brand
hey-it's-me is offline   Reply With Quote