One Of The Oldest---Still One Of The Best Heddon’s Dying Flutter Spook - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Bass, Panfish & Products

Old 12-28-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
Stan Fagerstrom
Steelhead

Default One Of The Oldest---Still One Of The Best Heddon’s Dying Flutter Spook

One Of The Oldest---Still One Of The Best
Heddon’s Dying Flutter Spook

By Stan Fagerstrom

Most major lure manufacturers come up with new lures year after year.

This is especially true in the field of bass fishing. Many of the new lures create temporary interest. Before long most fade from sight and you hear no more about them. There are exceptions. Some lures go right on catching fish year after year. You've probably got a few in your tackle box. I know I have. One of them is that old beauty called the Heddon Dying Flutter Spook.

One of the surest indicators, perhaps the only one that really counts in establishing just how good a lure is, is how many have been sold. How many bass fishermen would you guess have plunked down their bucks for this slender little Heddon bait with the props fore and aft? I don't have an exact count. I do know it has topped a million.

No lure sells in that kind of quantity without reason. The reason, of course, is the lure started catching fish when it was introduced decades ago. It still does. It’s that kind of results that keep lures on a tackle dealer’s shelf.

As readers familiar with my writing know, I lived right on the shore of Southwest Washington’s Silver Lake for most of my adult life. It’s easy to recall the first time I introduced Silver Lake largemouth to my newly acquired Dying Flutter Spooks. The fishing was tough for me and my partner that day. Not even a bump by 11 a.m. Then to make matters worse it began raining. I don't remember why I hung that new yellow and silver striped Dying Flutter on my line when the rain finally quit. I usually fish lures of its type early and late in the day when the water is flat.

It was around 1 p.m. when the rain stopped. We eased up to the outside edge of a big lily pad field. The little props at either end of the Dying Flutter *****led as I flipped it into an indentation in the pad cover. I let the lure rest long seconds. Then I twitched it just enough to cause the props to give the soft "glursh" I was to become so accustomed to hearing.

A bristling three pounder came swirling out of the pads as if it had been waiting for that new lure all summer. It was the first of a half dozen fish in the two to four pound category we took before the day was over. All smacked our new Heddon Dying Flutter Spooks.

I'm not saying the Dying Flutter gets fish every time out. No one lure ever does. It just doesn't work that way. But the Dying Flutter gets its share and then some.

Why has this plug carved such a place for itself among bass lures? I don’t know for sure. But I think one of the reasons for its productivity is the sound it makes when manipulated just right. I catch more fish on certain other lures, the Cordell Red Fin is one such, when I concentrate on making them produce exactly the right sound. That's how it is with the Dying Flutter.

Most experts recommend casting lures like the Dying Flutter to cover, then leaving them alone until all the ripples from the splash are gone. That's sound advice. But it's best to never get into a shoulder-deep rut using any bass lure. I've had days, and they've been more numerous than you might think, when bass responded better if I didn't let the lure lie around. I aim to give 'em whatever they want whenever I can. The only way to do that is to vary your retrieve until the fish indicate a preference.

While its best not to stick to just one procedure if fish don't hit, there is one technique that's hooked more bass for me on the Dying Flutter. It's to cast the lure, let it rest, then bring it back with a stop and go retrieve. I make the lure go glursh, glursh, glursh---pause---glursh, glursh, glursh---pause---all the way back to the boat.

Vary the length of the pauses. Position your boat so your lure comes back parallel to the cover. That way the Dying Flutter stays in blow up country all the way.

You'll find the lure makes different sounds depending on how much force you put into your rod movements. Experiment and listen as you do. When you start getting hits, remember exactly what sound the lure was making.

One thing is certain, when it is surface lures I’m throwing, those old Dying Flutter Spooks of mine are going to get their share of time out there on the end of my line. They will for the same reason they’ve remained so long on the shelves of those tackle dealers I mentioned in the beginning---they put fish in the boat!

Stan Fagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement