Wickiup 2019 - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 05-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #61
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Default Re: Wickiup 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
We all knew the extreme draw down of the reservoir was going to have an effect on the fishing. But I am surprised by what folks are seeing. Kinda of opposite of what I thought and hoped would happen. Was hoping more of the bigger stronger fish would have survived and if anything the smaller fish would have been sucked out in greater numbers. Good to see there are fish for next years spawning run, just hope they have a little water to survive in by the end of summer in there. I just get angry thinking what we have lost there in a kokanee fishery because of a damn frog that has gotten along just fine for the 70+ years the dams have been in place. 12" kokes are what we have at just about every koke lake in Oregon
Dittto Dave....maybe we should knock down some urban area homes and such where the frogs original distribution once was in other valleys outside the Deschutes watershed? Guess I feel there should be some skin in the game for those areas too.

Umpquanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #62
Fishindude88
Steelhead

Sorry for this late report: My wife and I fished Friday-Sunday at Wickiup. We only caught dinks. (8-11”). It didn’t matter where we were or what we used. Jigging was just as productive. A few weren’t strong enough to survive so they made a tasty meal. It took four of them to make a make a full serving for us. I already miss those monsters we saw in previous years.
Water level looks to be close to 50% already. We will leave Wickiup alone in hopes these little guys will survive for next year!
"Come follow me, I will make you fishers of men" Matthew 4:19
Fishindude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #63
Fishionado
Fry

I went out this past Saturday and Sunday. Jigging proved to be more productive than trolling. Anything with orange did the trick. caught mostly 8-12 inchers but each day landed at least one 15+ The new boat is proving to be very "fishy"!
Fishionado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #64
melasnus
Chromer

Quote:
I just get angry thinking what we have lost there in a kokanee fishery because of a damn frog that has gotten along just fine for the 70+ years the dams have been in place.
It isn't the frog...it's the irrigation demands.
Until that is addressed, the koke fishery will be in decline.
Central Oregon has to bite the bullet and pipe those open canals which are so wasteful.
melasnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #65
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

While irrigation demands are the actual reason the reservoir drops. The fake frog issue precipitated the agreement to keep more water in Crane and drain more from Wick. Before this Crane water rights came from crane(crane would drop on a similar curve as wick), now they come from Wickiup and only a small fraction comes from crane at the end of summer. I agree wholeheartedly that they need to pipe the canals
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #66
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
It isn't the frog...it's the irrigation demands.
Until that is addressed, the koke fishery will be in decline.
Central Oregon has to bite the bullet and pipe those open canals which are so wasteful.
Tough subject...Yup the Frog is the fall out for the irrigation rights to farmers in Central Oregon, I remember potato fields here in the 80's, now it's grass and carrot seed etc..going to big corps...Lot's of piping projects have happened and more are planned for the canals, natural evaporation and the outdated and porous lava rock lined canals is an engineering disaster, but a huge issue is the majority of people in the greater Bend area cry for the frog but CRY louder when their property value is degraded and their property ambiance of having a "seasonal stream" ie...canal is threatened to be piped and buried. Hypocrites? Yup. People that have lived in this area for more than a decade and truly understand the demographics and economic impacts of piping the canal could care less. A majority of the the people throwing a hissy are those that want to save the frog and are the same that don't want their property value to go down because the canals will be piped. Sad but very true.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #67
melasnus
Chromer

I don't know if all the frog enthusiasts are the same people worried about decreased property values or not.
It seems to me those are 2 different issues anyway.

Bend has been one of the hottest real estate markets in the country for quite awhile.
There is no reason to think we will have another giant hit to the local market like the 2008 Wall Street fraud anytime soon.
I don't think buried canals will have much impact on anyone but a few.
After all, canals isn't what draws newcomers to Bend.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #68
47sgs
Tuna!

There's more to it than just piping canals, which is going to be incredibly expensive. There's also significant waste of irrigation water. We all pay for irrigation rights on our property at an expensive per acre rate. It's a use it or loose it deal, and dropping your water rights would have a serious impact on property values. Many people I know don't need or even want the amount of water they get, but aren't about to give it up because they can't get it back. There has been talk about buy back programs where small property owners can sell back unneeded water to the irrigation district on a yearly basis and retain their water rights, but I haven't heard anything recently about it when I tried to pursue it. In addition, at present it's raining off and on in Bend, and will be for awhile. Yet the canals are all still running, our irrigation ponds are still filling, and we'll be forced to run irrigation in spite of not needing it. There has to be a more efficient way to utilize the water than is being done.
47sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #69
No Reservations
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47sgs View Post
There's more to it than just piping canals, which is going to be incredibly expensive. There's also significant waste of irrigation water. We all pay for irrigation rights on our property at an expensive per acre rate. It's a use it or loose it deal, and dropping your water rights would have a serious impact on property values. Many people I know don't need or even want the amount of water they get, but aren't about to give it up because they can't get it back. There has been talk about buy back programs where small property owners can sell back unneeded water to the irrigation district on a yearly basis and retain their water rights, but I haven't heard anything recently about it when I tried to pursue it. In addition, at present it's raining off and on in Bend, and will be for awhile. Yet the canals are all still running, our irrigation ponds are still filling, and we'll be forced to run irrigation in spite of not needing it. There has to be a more efficient way to utilize the water than is being done.

I understand the use it or lose it. But can’t you control the water going int your irrigation pond also do you have to run your pumps when it’s raining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #70
47sgs
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post
I understand the use it or lose it. But can’t you control the water going int your irrigation pond also do you have to run your pumps when it’s raining.

If they see we've decreased our water intake at the headgate, they'll turn us off. They have a set amount going into each feeder canal and they want constant draw from them. If we don't run the pump, the pond will overfill, run out the overflow and flood the field and sagebrush. So it's got to be used whether needed or not. They'll come out and turn it off if you have a breakdown, go on vacation, etc., but there's no way to voluntarily decrease your usage at your discretion.
47sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #71
spoonmaster
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post

It depends on the irrigation district and how it was set up to run. Some places get a constant feed and can water on their own schedule. Some are pipes and pressurized where they can do the same. Others are on a rotation and you get your delivery at the same time each week. I get mine that way, and like 47sgs said you need to do something with it. You can irrigate, you can have your neighbor take it, the ditch rider rider can divert it from you but it will keep on coming through the season. If you don't use it on your property at least once every five years you will lose the right completely.

There are a lot of small properties where they have rights to 1/4-and acre of water. And those places just have big lawns and gardens. A waste of water? In some instances, yes. At the same time, whiskey is still for drinking and water is for fighting on this side of the mountains.

As far as irrigating when it's raining, crops and pastures need a certain amount of water. Rain brings no guarantee of a given amount. You need to make sure the crops are getting at least what they need. Some crops need deep watering. It may rain a bunch yet only the top half inch of soil may get wet. Most of our rain comes in the form of scattered showers. It can pour on one half of a 50 acre field yet the other half gets next to nothing. so you start your water and if it rains, great. If not, you still get the moisture where it is needed.
spoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #72
melasnus
Chromer

As someone who knows one of those in charge of district irrigation, I can say with some confidence it isn't likely things will get much better as they stand at the moment.
More public pressure has to be put on before something good can be done for the upper Deschutes and its fisheries.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #73
mrkkstr
Fry

Anyone been to Wickiup lately? Just wondering how it's been with the warming temps and low water.
mrkkstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #74
KokaneeGal
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkkstr View Post
Anyone been to Wickiup lately? Just wondering how it's been with the warming temps and low water.
I am wondering the same thing
KokaneeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #75
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokaneeGal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkkstr View Post
I am wondering the same thing
They have asked ones to stay out of Davis arm today. Someone has lost their life to drowning.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #76
Sneaker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
They have asked ones to stay out of Davis arm today. Someone has lost their life to drowning.
“The sheriff’s office said alcohol is believed to have been a factor and that neither man was wearing a lifejacket. Mead was last seen wearing no shirt or shoes and black pants or black shorts.”

I hate reading stuff like this.
Sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #77
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
“The sheriff’s office said alcohol is believed to have been a factor and that neither man was wearing a lifejacket. Mead was last seen wearing no shirt or shoes and black pants or black shorts.”

And @ 2am I think it was something like a "hold my beer and watch this" kinda thing
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #78
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by orarcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post

And @ 2am [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/doh.gif[/IMG] I think it was something like a "hold my beer and watch this" kinda thing
I know it’s sad and then again sad that’s it preventable
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #79
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Checked on the North ramp yesterday. Dock was floating and quite a bit of ramp left. No fishing report, as I wimped out from the cold wind.
TheKodiakWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #80
konaaahbend
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I know it’s sad and then again sad that’s it preventable
It was my niece’s friend, their canoe got flipped by a sudden storm and he just tired out. His friend made it to shore with his dog, exhausted, then had to sprint to camp and find help and then try to get cell service. They pulled off the Klamath sheriff boat to go to Billie Chinook for another search. Bad year on the water in C.O.
konaaahbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #81
EagleEye
Chromer

I have not seen any reports that this young man has been located as of yet so I will assume he has not been found as of yet.

Just a heads up if the young man is not hung up on a stump or other debris he should surface at any moment or day. It has been 12 days and at 50 degrees it usually takes 10 to 14 days to rice to the surface; if the water is colder at the bottom than 50 it might take a bit longer than 14 days.

Be careful out there if you are at the lake over the next week until he is found.

Very sad situation for the family and hope he is found soon.

Last edited by EagleEye; 06-25-2019 at 07:06 PM.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #82
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Hit the main lake Saturday. Water at the North ramp was 59, and highest I saw in the reservoir was 64-ish. Water was clear, with a good 12ft visibility. Launching was easy, but not as much ramp left as I thought- once the lake drops a few feet, it may be difficult. Tougher fishing than Crane, but the majority caught were larger.

As usual, watch out for stumps.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #83
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the report. Going to make my first attempt up there since the opener. Hoping to avoid the dinks we, and everyone else, were finding.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #84
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Tons of dink’s still. Well 12” fish here are dink’s in my book. Still hoping to find a bigger size class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #85
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Seems kind of odd there are few 16 to 20 inch fish at this time of year..is that year class missing for some reason? I wonder how many 12 inch kokanee will survive fishing pressure and consequences of the reservoir being drawn down again this summer and fall?
Old 07-01-2019, 06:35 AM   #86
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpquanuts View Post
Seems kind of odd there are few 16 to 20 inch fish at this time of year..is that year class missing for some reason? I wonder how many 12 inch kokanee will survive fishing pressure and consequences of the reservoir being drawn down again this summer and fall?

My guess is that the larger fish last year (12-14"+) that were to be this years spawners, were washed/sucked out, hammered by birds and other predators in the low water last year, or some other stressor of having to live in basically a river environment for months when the res was drained. The little fish last year(4-6") which there were tons of, did better to avoid the perils that the larger fish seem to have succumbed to(ie easier for them to survive in a river environment). Or there were just so many that losing a bunch isn't as noticeable. Last year I had never seen so many 12-14" fish and also so many little 4-6" as we had last year. In the mornings last year, when it was calm, I thought I was looking at herring boiling in the water at bouy 10 there were so many. And this would be happening at half a dozen different spots around the lake. Dont know what happened to cause those populations to balloon like they had.

This year there seems to be lots of 12" fish and very few spawner size. I fished 6-7 hours total over the two days with the boys this past weekend and caught at least 40-50 of the littles, only 3 that were 17". The res is dropping faster than last year and if they take it to 1% again i would guess that most of those ~12" will get wiped out just like the 12"ers did last year. And I dont think we have very many of 4-6" like we did last year. It is so sad what idiots have done in the name of a frog has done to this place
Old 07-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #87
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Quote:
My guess is that the larger fish last year (12-14"+) that were to be this years spawners, were washed/sucked out, hammered by birds and other predators in the low water last year, or some other stressor of having to live in basically a river environment for months when the res was drained. The little fish last year(4-6") which there were tons of, did better to avoid the perils that the larger fish seem to have succumbed to(ie easier for them to survive in a river environment). Or there were just so many that losing a bunch isn't as noticeable. Last year I had never seen so many 12-14" fish and also so many little 4-6" as we had last year. In the mornings last year, when it was calm, I thought I was looking at herring boiling in the water at bouy 10 there were so many. And this would be happening at half a dozen different spots around the lake. Dont know what happened to cause those populations to balloon like they had.

This year there seems to be lots of 12" fish and very few spawner size. I fished 6-7 hours total over the two days with the boys this past weekend and caught at least 40-50 of the littles, only 3 that were 17". The res is dropping faster than last year and if they take it to 1% again i would guess that most of those ~12" will get wiped out just like the 12"ers did last year. And I dont think we have very many of 4-6" like we did last year. It is so sad what idiots have done in the name of a frog has done to this place
Seems to make sense Dave. How many low water conditions have we had in recent fall spawning times? Could the large population of smaller fish be due to more river like spawning conditions in the old stream channels with more favorable gravels? I have not ventured over to Wicky to chase those near 20 inch fish late summer/early fall since froggy took over the place. I miss seeing the glass Kokanee rods bucking in the rod holder and fish taking line and jumping clean out of the water trying to spit the hook and flasher....it is a shame we have lost that fishery.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #88
Kenamatic
Tuna!

A question to those that have kept some of the 12 inch fish, is there any egg development in them? Wondering if those ARE the spawners now. In the past when there was more water there was more habitat for the zooplankton to grow for the kokanee to eat. With the water getting lower and not as much room for growth would mean less food therefor smaller kokes. Kind of like if you put 100 cows on a 10 acre pasture and wonder why the cows are not putting on the weight as the 1,000 acre pasture with the 100 cows on it.

I have to much time to think at times and this is something that has rattled around in my head from time to time.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #89
KokaneeGal
Steelhead

Exclamation Re: Wickiup 2019

Fished Wickiup end of June. We caught 11- 13 inch Kokanee, which we threw back. I also caught a beautiful 24 inch brown.
KokaneeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #90
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Wickiup down to 42% today.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 AM   #91
EagleEye
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I have not seen any reports that this young man has been located as of yet so I will assume he has not been found as of yet.

Just a heads up if the young man is not hung up on a stump or other debris he should surface at any moment or day. It has been 12 days and at 50 degrees it usually takes 10 to 14 days to rice to the surface; if the water is colder at the bottom than 50 it might take a bit longer than 14 days.

Be careful out there if you are at the lake over the next week until he is found.

Very sad situation for the family and hope he is found soon.

He has been found now
Old 07-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #92
M combs
Steelhead

Glad they found him...... side note... wife showed me a pic of a big brown caught out of wick this weekend
M combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #93
Sneaker
Steelhead

At least his family has closure.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #94
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Does anyone have a ramp report? it's showing 34% as of last night.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 AM   #95
EagleEye
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKodiakWay View Post
Does anyone have a ramp report? it's showing 34% as of last night.
If I remember correctly last year the docks were out of the water but you can still use the ramps. The Gull Pointe ramp I believe you can use to around 23% level. I know we fished at this level last year and had no problem.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #96
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

North ramp was launchable, but I had to get the front wheels wet (18ft bass boat, about 2ft of water at the trailer axle). It sure flattens out compared to the upper section of the ramp!

Water was mid to upper 60's, and the fish seemed finicky. I Kept getting snagged up on kokanee gear people had lost on stumps. LOTS of dodgers and flashers laying on the bottom.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #97
designated netter
Fry

this is a photo from the 18th
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wikiup res from hamner Butte wm (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	278
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	727217  
designated netter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #98
Williams
Ifish Nate

Tell Jim that’s a nice photo.

Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 AM   #99
Steelhead Steve
Steelhead

Thanks for the photo. Heck of a view from there glad you shared it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Steelhead Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #100
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Debating on launching from shore on the Davis arm, does anyone have some advice?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #101
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Pick your spot carefully. Launching can be the easy part. Taking out can be a bit more tricky. There are areas that look and feel solid. But the tires can just sink Try to find an area with more gravel. Gull point ramp should still be in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #102
Daratfish
Steelhead

Quote:
Debating on launching from shore on the Davis arm, does anyone have some advice?
I pulled a 19' Alumaweld off the beach on the Davis arm . F 150 4x4 locking rear axl . Didn't spin a wheel . Later in the day I pulled a Dodge out . Guy didn't engage 4x4 before backing down and couldn't get it to lock in . Bet he wont do that again .
Daratfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #103
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

Thanks guys! I may just launch from gull, and scope out some spots for when the water gets too low. I'll keep am eye on the side scan for rocks/gravel/harder bottom.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #104
TheKodiakWay
Steelhead

North ramp is quite a ways out of the water, but launching/loading from the beach was easy.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #105
jtj
Steelhead

Quote:
North ramp is quite a ways out of the water, but launching/loading from the beach was easy.
How was the fishing?
jtj is offline   Reply With Quote