Protroll - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
snaggedup
Steelhead

Default Protroll

Just starting to try protrolls and would like to see what everyone's favorite
lure or setup the rig behind it you like to use. pictures would be great .

snaggedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
plugs
Tuna!

Default Re: Protroll

Superbaits are my favs but will use Simmon3.0's as well. Here's how I rig my supers on a 28 inch leader behind the skateboard. I also like the Shortbus over the Protrolls.

plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Spinitrode
King Salmon

We typically like the Superbaits too (prefer the original 'bananas') so you can run bait w/o a lot of the hassle of keeping herring in good shape, etc.

The biggest thing is we seem to like running it on a much shorter leader than most (18" or even less) so it gets kind of an extra 'kick' in the action as it follows the flasher rolling over. More typical lengths (say, ~36" or so) it feels like less of the flasher action is translated that far down the chain.
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
PnwChrome
Coho

3.5 spinners about 24-32 inches behind protroll or shortbus 360 any longer of leader it loses action , In the spring cut plugged red label herring is also a killer about 32 inch leader . Use a 2 foot bumper above flasher you can make your own or be lazy like me and buy fishermans , I use a few other set ups as well , I would send pics but can't figure out how while using my smartphone 😞 but the easiest way to cut the learning curve is YouTube it..good luck now if I can only figure out this picture thing.
PnwChrome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Greenleaf
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnwChrome View Post
3.5 spinners about 24-32 inches behind protroll or shortbus 360 any longer of leader it loses action , In the spring cut plugged red label herring is also a killer about 32 inch leader . Use a 2 foot bumper above flasher you can make your own or be lazy like me and buy fishermans , I use a few other set ups as well , I would send pics but can't figure out how while using my smartphone 😞 but the easiest way to cut the learning curve is YouTube it..good luck now if I can only figure out this picture thing.
Yep, short leaders are key to getting the irresistible action the fish go nuts for. That's with spinners...never fished a herring/pro troll combo but will try this fall
Old 07-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Lucky21
Steelhead

I too tie em short, but i have to say that the last couple years up here there's been times that I had to lengthin out to 40" or so to get bit.Wanted alittle different action.
Lucky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #7
ccw
King Salmon

Default Protroll

I like a short 14” braided line bumper to the Protroll & 20-24” heavy leader back to a small Bling Wing, Super Cut Bait Plug, plug cut Red label herring, or 3.5 spinner.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)

Last edited by ccw; 07-11-2019 at 07:04 AM.
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
TanTastic84
Coho

I have been thinking about running shorter leaders in Puget Sound with our hot spot flashers lately. I mean, if it works in the Columbia, why not run 33" leaders to a hootchie or spoon or bait? I typically run 36-40" leaders but I might start doing the Columbia thing in my neck of the woods.

The options are endless.... The fishing time on the other hand is the limiting reagent.
TanTastic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
apelily
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTastic84 View Post
I have been thinking about running shorter leaders in Puget Sound with our hot spot flashers lately. I mean, if it works in the Columbia, why not run 33" leaders to a hootchie or spoon or bait? I typically run 36-40" leaders but I might start doing the Columbia thing in my neck of the woods.

The options are endless.... The fishing time on the other hand is the limiting reagent.
i think if you are using hot spots i would keep the leader long but you dont know if you dont try but maybe set 2 up differently and see what happens.

ON the pro trolls the shorter leader works because it causes the lure to do that "thing" that triggers a salmon to bite.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
Happy ours
Chromer

Fall chinook seem to like the tuna fish smell so I will be running superbaits and spinners unless I hear Herring is working,4 years ago herring was hot in the dead zone...
Happy ours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #11
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:

try it short, we tie em' short with hot spots in the ocean, and they catch well.... the longer the leader, the less the flasher does.... try them short, it works behind hot spots.

my advice to all fishing is don't get locked into just what works, try different stuff.... there is always a better way outside of the normal standards.... I notice most fisheries, 90% of the folks are doing the exact same thing (or trying to) then there is 5% that have no clue, and the other 5% went outside the box and refined their setups to be more effective.

try something different, use other folks for a gauge…. if you are getting beat by others, go the other direction (in train of thought) the standard way is never the BEST
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #12
HiTide
Steelhead

After using the Protroll & Shortbus "360" flashers for the last 2 yrs, experimenting & learning from other anglers, I have found the following gets the best benefit from this set-up: dropper wt. (6 - 12 oz depending on depth), 20 in. bumper of 50 lb. mono, connecting to flasher, followed by 20 - 24 in. 40 lb. leader. The short bumper & leader are crucial to realizing the benefit of this set-up. Also essential is that the lure used is very light and has little resistance to the flasher's action. To achieve this, most successful lures have been small (3.5) spinners with a 2/0 - 4/0 hook. Maybe add a small hoochie. That's it! No bait needed. In fact, using long leaders, bait (anchovies/herring) resistant, heavier lures such as plugs all conspire to detract from what makes the 360 set-up work. So, for the last 2 yrs I am no longer a slave to the mess & inconvenience of bait. So, I have found this to be at least as successful as the more traditional dragging of bait. I have use this method in the rivers & bays of my area. Just this yr. I have tried this with success in the ocean from surface to 60 ft. Last two trips I outfitted my boat mates who towed the usual gear. My next experiment will be to determine the best use w down riggers.
HiTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
sliverslinger
King Salmon

How far back behind the boat are you guys running these in the rivers? Can you see the flasher working, or are you running deep near the bottom?

Happiness is a large gut pile!
sliverslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #14
fishnhunt13
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverslinger View Post
How far back behind the boat are you guys running these in the rivers? Can you see the flasher working, or are you running deep near the bottom?
Short answer is it depends but generally I run them shallow in the upper Columbia. I've run then as shallow as 5 feet on the downrigger but I'm typically 13 to 16 feet depending on the time of day and current. But it's not unheard of to fish 30 to 50 feet deep on occasion.
Keep in mind I'm often fishing shallow water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
fishnhunt13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #15
ccw
King Salmon

Default Protroll

My goto is the 11” white//chrome version. They’ve worked great trolling in 4’-13’ water for springers in the mouth of tributaries & suspended about halfway down in the main Columbia River (River depth 40’-65’). I troll them fast. It’s more about the thump or kick on the rod than the depth.

They’re expensive to lose so if I’m going to troll near bottom in a trib mouth I usually make a couple passes with just a spinner to check for snags & learn the terrain before I clip on a Protroll. I use a sliding dropper for the weight about 20”-24” long.

In deeper water where I’m not fishing right on the bottom, weights can be clipped directly to the slider without a dropper.

I have found they will often outfish wobblers while anchored, given adequately fast current. Run it by the boat checking for good action. Let it down until it taps bottom & then reel up 3-4 cranks until a good thumping action returns. If you don’t have a bite within 15 minutes, reel up another 3 cranks. If no action at that depth, reel up another 3 cranks etc., checking for suspended fish.

CW

Old 07-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #16
Retired11
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
My goto is the 11” white//chrome version. They’ve worked great trolling in 4’-13’ water for springers in the mouth of tributaries & suspended about halfway down in the main Columbia River (River depth 40’-65’). I troll them fast. It’s more about the thump or kick on the rod than the depth.

They’re expensive to lose so if I’m going to troll near bottom in a trib mouth I usually make a couple passes with just a spinner to check for snags & learn the terrain before I clip on a Protroll. I use a sliding dropper for the weight about 20”-24” long.

In deeper water where I’m not fishing right on the bottom, weights can be clipped directly to the slider without a dropper.

I have found they will often outfish wobblers while anchored, given adequately fast current. Run it by the boat checking for good action. Let it down until it taps bottom & then reel up 3-4 cranks until a good thumping action returns. If you don’t have a bite within 15 minutes, reel up another 3 cranks. If no action at that depth, reel up another 3 cranks etc., checking for suspended fish.

CW
The last picture is money..... It's my go to......
Retired11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
TanTastic84
Coho

Nice to know my thinking isn't too far outside the box! Thanks Roosevelt.

Is weird that I find pictures of fishing gear more interesting than actual fish?
TanTastic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #18
Seafrk
Ifish Nate

One of my all time favorites in the salt is a 8" Protroll with a hootchie on a 18" to 22 " leader. I have caught fish on 15"........
Seafrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #19
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
It depends, but in my experience, they work better shallow... in 10fow or less, I keep them close to the bottom... deeper water than that I’m fishing them suspended.

I have caught fish hugging the bottom in 25fow, but have caught more fishing about 10’ down in that same water.

I think having 2 rods is ideal, fishing herring in water over 15’ deep, and 360’s in the shallower stuff.

Very first light, I like herring regardless of depth, but after it gets lighter, it seems like 360’s fish better than herring in the shallow flats, and herring out fish pro trolls in the deeper holes
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
sliverslinger
King Salmon

I had one guy last year tell me that 5oz of lead, on a 1ft dropper, 35 ft back was money.
Any truth to this?

Old 07-13-2019, 05:57 AM   #21
fishnhunt13
Chromer

Quote:
I had one guy last year tell me that 5oz of lead, on a 1ft dropper, 35 ft back was money.
Any truth to this?
I was running them 37 feet back with 4 oz and no dropper. But I'll go up to 6 or 8 depending on water speed and depth.
Quote:
I'll add to my answer since I gave too much background and then didn't answer the exact answer...
I use a 15 to 20' setback on my downriggers. I do fish suspended but I spend a lot of time very close to the bottom. My downrigger balls show a lot of evidence of how close I often am to the bottom. .
I can often see the flash from the flasher but I can't actually discern the bait "working"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
fishnhunt13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 AM   #22
wayout
Sturgeon

I'm just using 3.5 spinners in the dead zone. It's so easy. The rack with all the missing spinners is the right color (I have them all). I started out using 3ft leader but am now using 2 ft. Same idea. more kick. I've been using much heavier weight than mentioned above - like 20 oz. I've dialed in what number I want on the line counter to correspond to the depth I'm fishing. For depths of 15-40 ft, add 10 seems to work about right and keep me off the bottom, so LC at 25-50. Suspended fish are common. You might want to line up with their depth.

When the Pro-Troll craze hit the river a few years back, by buddy and I ran 2 different set ups. He ran Pro Troll with old style Brads cut plug (the skinny ones) with Tuna packing. I ran triangle flasher and larger spinner. I don't think there was any difference in our number of hooked fish. Not so you'd notice anyway. But I think I hung up on bottom more often with the old style.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #23
sliverslinger
King Salmon

Most of the water I am fishing is between 14-20ft, so what is a good length of line to have out? I need all the help I can get.

If I stand up in the boat, should I be able to see the flash under the water from the 360?
Or does it need to hug the bottom?

Old 07-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #24
ccw
King Salmon

Default Protroll

Like Wayout I’m using 16-20 oz lead in the deep water, maybe 8 in 5-20’.

Last edited by ccw; 07-15-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #25
ccw
King Salmon

Sliver: yes you often can see the flasher working in shallower water. With a rotational axis of about two feet you’re flinging your presentation along a 4-5’ column of water. Touch bottom now and again with your weight and you’re good.

CW

Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
Spinitrode
King Salmon

Quote:
Any truth to this?
Totally depends on boat speed vs incoming/outgoing, depth, etc. Where I've gone the most it's quite shallow, so the difference between high & low slack can be roughly double the depth. The above would be a good starting point, but can vary from 3-6oz and often closer to the boat (more like 20-30' out, that also depends on how much room there is among the other boat traffic) ~ sometimes it works surprisingly close in (like almost in the prop wash; I guess if there's enough boats around, the fish must get used to it).
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #27
PnwChrome
Coho

I fish them in deep water all the time use 12-16 oz lead , when in deep water over 30 ft I keep my gear about 3 foot from bottom, with occasion tap on bottom , I use heavy lead gives me the advantage of keeping my gear close to the boat, this is important in crowded fisheries. Some places being suspended is best but I still use heavy lead.
But my experience is fishing the Columbia , with majority of the time in the gorge.
PnwChrome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #28
nudibranchstyle
Fry

Quote:

I typically run long leaders on my spoons in the Puget Sound (6ft in the winter) but my grandpa who always seems to catch a nice chinook when we fish together uses a green or chartreuse flasher and a white spoon and a <"30 leader. He uses this for chinook and coho and for both feeder and migratory fish no matter the time of year. He also trolls as slow as possible when I let him drive and we still catch fish despite the suggestion to troll fast for coho or slow for returning migratory fish. Another thing is that he typically fishes no deeper than 40-50 ft when others in the Puget Sound swear by fishing deep (me included). Sometimes we make fishing complicated when the most important thing to catching fish is just having your gear in the water. 99% of the time we dont catch fish is because they aren't there... not because you dont have the right color hoochie or spoon or flasher. on the other hand I've had the same setup on two poles at the same depth and only one rod gets bit.
nudibranchstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #29
nudibranchstyle
Fry

Quote:

I typically run long leaders on my spoons in the Puget Sound (6ft in the winter) but my grandpa who always seems to catch a nice chinook when we fish together uses a green or chartreuse flasher and a white spoon and a <"30 leader. He uses this for chinook and coho and for both feeder and migratory fish no matter the time of year. He also trolls as slow as possible when I let him drive and we still catch fish despite the suggestion to troll fast for coho or slow for returning migratory fish. Another thing is that he typically fishes no deeper than 40-50 ft when others in the Puget Sound swear by fishing deep (me included). Sometimes we make fishing complicated when the most important thing to catching fish is just having your gear in the water. 99% of the time we dont catch fish is because they aren't there... not because you dont have the right color hoochie or spoon or flasher. on the other hand I've had the same setup on two poles at the same depth and only one rod gets bit.
nudibranchstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #30
Stick'em
King Salmon

Sixteen ounce lead at three miles an hour and I can see the pro troll in the Garmin. (Jerry Toman told me that Chinook usually won't follow much faster than 3 MPH and he was right.) I simply stick the 3.5 spinner in front of their noses. If I can find them in the Dead Zone, I can usually catch them.

Last edited by Stick'em; 07-15-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Stick'em is offline   Reply With Quote