Long Leader, we gave it a try - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
pirk fan
Tuna!

Default Long Leader, we gave it a try

It was a learning experience today. Ocean was a bit of a washing machine early, not big just confused, so it took us a while to get to the north west side of the rock pile. Rigged up our new to us long leader gear and set up on a previously determined way point just outside the YRCA. Current was ripping, but my buddy finally managed to land a nice yellowtail rockfish. After a few more hours, establishing drifts and working with proper weights and gear issues, I even managed one nice triple. Ended the day with 11 yellowtail between the two of us (still one more than we could have taken near shore and bigger fish) and didn't hook any other kind of fish...i.e. no yelloweye. The day finished off with a nice flat ocean and a quick ride in. I enjoy new fishing experiences, and I like that this fishery helps protect nearshore rockfish quotas. so all in all a good day, and best I could tell...we were the only ones doing it, everyone else was after salmon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0708191603.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	726515  

pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
garyk
King Salmon

Default Re: Long Leader, we gave it a try

Love those YT's and that's a nice mess of them!

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Fishndiver
Steelhead

The LL fishery is fun and it is cool knowing you're taking pressure off of the near shore reefs. Every time I've done it, we've been the only boat around as far as we could see. The grade of fish is way better than anything I've ever caught near shore and the gracious limit makes it worth while. My oldest brother has interpreted "Long Leader" as long tangled mess of gear after a couple debacles involving multiple fish from multiple lines. That can be a bit of a headache but it is worth it at the end of the day. We fished the west side of the pile once and had a heck of a time with the blue rock fish (not legal last year). With the electric reels I don't have a problem motoring out to 450-500ft of water, it's just a few miles further anyway.

Enjoy those fish!
Fishndiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Nice mess 'o fish, Pirk! I tried it one time and learned quickly that heavy line for the dropper made things a lot easier to handle. I started out with something like 20lb mono and ended up with a tangled mess on the first pull. Last was about 80lb mono with a fuse and it was a much smoother operation. Lot of good eats, there.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
Puffin
Sturgeon

That’s the fun fishery but I think people make the rigging way too hard I put on the top shot a 50 pound test mono 50 feet long I thought loop in the bottom go up 35 feet tie four dropper loops I real that whole McGilla up into my real put the bottom loop around the real handle now I’m ready to take that Rod long leader bottom fishing when I get there I hook my lead on the bottom loop let out to the four loops put on three shrimp flies and a bobber down she goes we real it up far enough to get the fish off the hook to drop it right back down end of day takeoff all the gear real it up into the real you’re done no mess no hassle
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
Brokeass Boater
Chromer

Those are some beautiful fish you have, thanks for sharing your trip,,,gregg
Brokeass Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #7
pirk fan
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndiver View Post
The LL fishery is fun and it is cool knowing you're taking pressure off of the near shore reefs. Every time I've done it, we've been the only boat around as far as we could see. The grade of fish is way better than anything I've ever caught near shore and the gracious limit makes it worth while. My oldest brother has interpreted "Long Leader" as long tangled mess of gear after a couple debacles involving multiple fish from multiple lines. That can be a bit of a headache but it is worth it at the end of the day. We fished the west side of the pile once and had a heck of a time with the blue rock fish (not legal last year). With the electric reels I don't have a problem motoring out to 450-500ft of water, it's just a few miles further anyway.

Enjoy those fish!
Spent a lot of hours thinking about all this, and some thoughts worked, some didn't.

Gear set up: Hard foam bobber with coated seven strand wire through (swivels crimped to each end) and glass beads with pop rivets on each side (clacker kind of thing). Worked well, don't know if the clacker helped, and there was a funny little bump on the line each time you dropped and lifted the rig.

4 foot long 40 lb test leader with droppers and shrimp fly/soft plastic lure rig (3 lures). Glow in the dark soft plastics seemed to be the winner, only got one on a shrimp fly rig, got a triple on a the glow shrimp. Big snap swivels on both ends (makes it easy to change rigs on the float, and disconnect from the long leader)

30 foot 40lb test "long leader with snaps on both ends and a short 20 lb test fuse on the bottom. Snaps on both ends really help with managing this sucker and changing weights.

My buddy could just reel up to the float and let the rig trail out behind the boat for moves (keeping the rig away from the prop). For big moves he'd unsnap the long leader and wind it up on a "hand caster reel". This seemed to work ok for him.

I'm running the boat, so with every move I've got to get my gear out of the water. I made up a "long leader tender" rig with a "knuckle buster" alvey snapper reel on a piece of fiberglass electric fence post. Attached to the end of the post is a hand twisted open eye made of stainless welding rod and a couple of alvey open runners. Just unsnap the long leader from the shrimp fly/lure rig and snap it to the "leader tender" and wind it on, swivels and all right up to the sinker. When ready to drop in the rig, just hang the sinker over the side, loosen the star drag on the knuckle buster and the long leader goes down until the swivel hits that open eye (too big to go through). Unsnap, hook onto the shrimp fly/lure rig and drop on down. This worked out pretty well once I got the rhythm down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hand caster.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	726543   Click image for larger version

Name:	long leader tender.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	726545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4021.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	726547  
Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
Dave G
King Halibut

Good job. YT's are good eating.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
kittiwake
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirk fan View Post

4 foot long 40 lb test leader with droppers and shrimp fly/soft plastic lure rig (3 lures). Glow in the dark soft plastics seemed to be the winner, only got one on a shrimp fly rig, got a triple on a the glow shrimp.
Those glow shrimp plastics look awesome.....do you mind disclosing who makes those or where you bought them?
kittiwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
pirk fan
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiwake View Post
Those glow shrimp plastics look awesome.....do you mind disclosing who makes those or where you bought them?
I made them, using a mold from Basstackle.com (swimming shrimp). The eyes are just heavy mono with the ends melted (fly tying trick), poke a hole through the lure with a needle and push them through, the melted ends hold them in place. You can't see in that picture because it's too dark, but they also have long mono antenna that are striped with a sharpie marker and super glued into the snout.

One of the things I noticed when watching the Okeanos Explorer and Nautilus ROV's is that there are lots of pelagic free swimming shrimp. This mold is as close as I could find to what they look like...although they're always red, not glow in the dark :-)

Here's a cool video showing why they're always red (and why you wouldn't want your lure to be red)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	glo shrimp.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	726549  
Old 07-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #11
kittiwake
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirk fan View Post
I made them, using a mold from Basstackle.com (swimming shrimp). The eyes are just heavy mono with the ends melted (fly tying trick), poke a hole through the lure with a needle and push them through, the melted ends hold them in place. You can't see in that picture because it's too dark, but they also have long mono antenna that are striped with a sharpie marker and super glued into the snout.

One of the things I noticed when watching the Okeanos Explorer and Nautilus ROV's is that there are lots of pelagic free swimming shrimp. This mold is as close as I could find to what they look like...although they're always red, not glow in the dark :-)

Here's a cool video showing why they're always red (and why you wouldn't want your lure to be red)
Underwater Color Loss With GoPro 0 to 155 Feet Depth - Fishing Lure Deep Test - YouTube
Thanks for the info....I used to melt mono for eyes on my crazy charlies for bones. So simple and looks so good. I might have to start pouring my own, those look incredible....

Thanks again for your report
kittiwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
sprigdog
Chromer

I know that the charter boats have no problem filling the boats with yellow tails during long leader trips with normal old shrimp flies. Fishing down 50-70 fathoms.
sprigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #13
Fishndiver
Steelhead

Pirk, those glow “shrimps” look awesome.
I made my LL gear all modular. I use the small net floats from Englunds with 130lb mono and 10mm beads on both ends of the floats. The top is just a crimped eye connected to the large corkscrew swivel on the rods main line. The bottom is a crimped eye with a snap swivel. I started using 80lb mono for the shrimp fly rigs with crimped loops. I just use the inexpensive unrigged Danielsons shrimp flys also from Englunds. For the mono dropper, I started with 30lb but 50 seems to be a better choice for us. Seemed to tangle less. I have some lure spools I use for the mono droppers and some wooden clothes pins I thought would be handy for securing the dropper to the rod when resetting the drift. But, it seems just cooling the mono on the deck of the boat works fine too. I thought that would be a problem but my brother/super star deck hand makes it work effectively. I really dig the fishery for the lack of other boats around us and for me, using the electronics to locate the schools in 500ft of water is fun. We found a net is a good idea to have on hand as occasionally a Canary will come off the hook on the way up and can be found floating behind the boat. Twice now we’ve lost gear/fish to sharks on the way up and the modular rigs make it easy to get back in the water. I do like the sound of Puffins idea, seems so simple and easy. I just can’t tie a decent dropper loop to save my ass. They always end up slipping tight on the hook eye.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #14
Puffin
Sturgeon

I don’t get fancy with my gear my barber is a 5 inch piece of one and a half inch dowel with an eye screwed in the end of it
Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #15
pirk fan
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
I know that the charter boats have no problem filling the boats with yellow tails during long leader trips with normal old shrimp flies. Fishing down 50-70 fathoms.
I'm guessing this is probably true, however there's some differences between a charter boat, and me and my buddy doing long leader. First of all, those guys are fishing in their back yard, and they also talk to each other and other commercials....they know the likely spots for big schools of yellow tail. My information consisted of...try the Northwest corner of the rockpile outside the YRCA. I'd looked at some charts and made some guesses, but I had no waypoints saved that I knew fished well.

The skipper of a charter isn't trying to fish and locate fish at the same time. I probably spent half of my time searching for fish and trying to calculate the best drifts across them, plus dealing with the manipulation of the long leader gear. Charter skipper just says reel them up, and then he moves to another waypoint in his vast array of saved spots.
In addition, they've got some great electronics while I have a 30 year old Eagle Z5000 (which worked...but just OK).

Since we'd never done this, my buddy asked me which rig he should use (like I had first hand knowledge of that). I told him that what I'd read on here and on the ODFW website suggested shrimp flies worked...so he rigged up with them. We were seeing spotty schools and individual fish on the sounder, he got his rig down first and pretty quickly hooked a yellowtail. I got my glow shrimp down, and then back up because we'd drifted off the school. We spent a bit of time establishing the drift...gear down...gear up, then I got a triple on the glow shrimp. Then I got a single on the glow shrimp...then another single on the glow shrimp, and remember I'm spending a lot more time than my buddy retrieving my gear and then searching. After my 5th fish, my buddy decided a change was in order, and we got out a package of curl tail grubs in glow in the dark. End of the day he got 5 fish and I got 6, only the first fish on shrimp flies. We'd hook a fish and then let it run around down there trying for multiple hookups, without a whole lot of success, the only multiple hookup we got (after my triple) was a fish that ate my glow shrimp, and then ran over and took his glow in the dark grub (which we know happened because the darn thing was hooked with both hooks in the mouth...glow shrimp in it's throat, grub lip hooked.)

Point to all this, sure shrimp flies work, and they've caught a lot of fish, but when it's tough fishing and you don't really have it down...there might be better lures. Charters like shrimp flies because they're easy to use, catch fish when you're over clouds of them, half of their customers have no idea how to fish at all (and may be sea sick to boot) and they're cheap (people who don't understand bottom fishing donate a lot of gear to Posiedon). I have a lot of experience near shore, and there they'd be the last thing I'd choose, black and deacon rockfish are semi-pelagic and spend a lot of time up off the bottom, often 20-30 feet below the surface, if your gear is banging the bottom and they're above it, success is poor. I don't know how many times we've returned to the dock with limits in the box and had other folks tell us they "just couldn't get into them". There are better lures, but you're right...shrimp flies do work.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #16
sprigdog
Chromer

I agree with that, and appreciate the fantastic write up. I only mentioned that to let you know they work very well in that fishery. I’d place myself in the “got that fishery dialed in” category.
Also, I never touch bottom in that fishery. I only fish suspended fish, and only drop when they appear to be thick.
They rarely move. Place waypoints and keep going back to X.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
Puffin
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
I agree with that, and appreciate the fantastic write up. I only mentioned that to let you know they work very well in that fishery. I’d place myself in the “got that fishery dialed in” category.
Also, I never touch bottom in that fishery. I only fish suspended fish, and only drop when they appear to be thick.
They rarely move. Place waypoints and keep going back to X.
Hey I’m new to this fishery are you seeing Fish on your graph or are you just fishing and then finding them? I haven’t been able to find them on the screen but we catch them when they’re there just drifting. Thx
Old 07-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
sprigdog
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Hey I’m new to this fishery are you seeing Fish on your graph or are you just fishing and then finding them? I haven’t been able to find them on the screen but we catch them when they’re there just drifting. Thx
I only fish areas that my screen shows schools of fish.
I’m only familiar with the north coast area, but plenty of offshore reefs with relief ranging in 20’-60’. Or much greater. Those fish sit right above those high spots.
Bounce around to waypoints til I find a school. Easy limits once school is found. Mainly widow, yt’s and Bocaccio.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #19
Fishndiver
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
I cruise around until I find a suspended cloud of fish then give the order to “drop ‘em”. I look for the tops of drop offs and any steep contour lines on the chart. I am by no means even close to an expert at reading my sonar, but one time we found an area in 450ft that had a haze showing then just below that schools of fish. All the fish we brought up were puking up shrimp all over my boat so I kind of assumed that the haze was shrimp/krill. There was also a pod of humpbacks working the area.

The black circles on the chart has been pretty good for us. But all north and south of that area seems to be loaded with canary’s, yellow tails and widows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7D43B8E8-7F87-424D-A794-E6DA5703CDAB.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	726681