Carfax - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 07-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Carfax

What a joke.

Under title history it says, no problem.

Farther down it says, total loss reported on 05/11/2005. Cause due to fire as reported by insurance company.

The truck looks pretty good after being totaled in a fire 14 years ago. How do they come up with this stuff??? Guess I better give ‘em a call.

DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
cptdarel
King Salmon

Default Re: Carfax

All the reporting is what the insurance company tells the system, being a Total loss is all subjective, I have seen cars HAMMERED and totaled, while a little old ladies car just need a bumper and a fender, because of its age it can be declared a Total loss, what else is taken into consideration is the salvage value, so if a car has a high salvage value and while it is small dollar repairs, they may elect to total a car with minor damage, while a car with no salvage value they may elect to repair it, they just do the math and determine the fate of a vehicle Repair vs Totaled by just doing the math and pay out which ever is the least payout.

If a cars paint shines, goes down the road straight without wearing out the tires enjoy the car, I have owned my share of salvaged cars, to me is no big deal.

hope it answers some questions

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by cptdarel; 07-05-2019 at 08:41 PM.
cptdarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:59 AM   #3
flatman
King Salmon

you wont save enough to make up for the aggravation you may find if something wasnt done right. and the low value you will get if trying to sell it.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The alleged fire my truck was supposedly totaled in never existed. A complete fabrication. It isn’t about the truck suffering the damage and being repaired, it’s about something that never happened.

I don’t know how a vehicle could be shown as totaled when brand new, yet could continue to be licensed and driven year after year with a clean title? Boggles the mind.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
cptdarel
King Salmon

well in that case it has to be a mistake in the system, when I applied for SS they went over my employment and one year they had me working for Strawberry Hotel, never heard of SH, they were going to delete the earning for that year for a mistake they made...........

wonder if you can find Insurance Co and get it retracted? Or go to DMV and get a prior owner print out.

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by cptdarel; 07-06-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Cptd. I'm going through insurance first.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #7
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Cptd. I'm going through insurance first.

As long as the Carfax misinformation is out there and searchable your resale value takes the final hit.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #8
1pump
King Salmon

I thought the only thing that mattered was a branded title. A clean title is a clean title, and vice versa. IMHO, I wouldn't give a crap what Carfax says. I've never used it, and probably never will.

Wikipedia:

"Carfax does not have access to every facility and mistakes are sometimes made by those who input data. In the event information is disputed but cannot be verified, Carfax allows consumers and dealerships to add information to its reports."
Old 07-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
cptdarel
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
I thought the only thing that mattered was a branded title. A clean title is a clean title, and vice versa. IMHO, I wouldn't give a crap what Carfax says. I've never used it, and probably never will.
The problem is, is that a LOT of people do give a crap as to what it says, some people don't know the difference from a radiator cap vs. a gas cap, whom rely on carfax to give the history.

Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
The problem is, is that a LOT of people do give a crap as to what it says, some people don't know the difference from a radiator cap vs. a gas cap, whom rely on carfax to give the history.

Agreed.

That being said, Carfax is not the end all they claim they are. They're not in business to save humanity from the evils of malignant vehicles. They're in business to make money, which is fine. We're all capitalists, after all.
Carfax isn't a bad idea in theory, but like a lot of ideas it doesn't always work in reality. IMHO, Carfax users should take the data with a grain of salt. How many of us have seen erroneous information on our credit reports? I know I have. The big issue to me is what you DON'T see on Carfax. An absence of documentation doesn't mean something didn't happen.

Buying a used car is always a crap shoot, even if you buy it from your ol' Uncle Vern who only drove it to AA meetings and maintained it meticulously. That's why used cars cost less than new ones. New ones come equipped with some peace of mind, and there's always a price on that.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Carfax is no better than credit bureaus. They report whatever they are told. If you have an issue, they tell you to contact the reporter. The reporter tells you to contact the reporting service. Good luck getting anything corrected/removed no matter how false it may be.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #12
flatman
King Salmon

dealers are also allowed to have a brand new car damaged and then fix it and not tell you and sell it as new.
i dont know how much damage is allowed in that.

never buy a car that has a big stigma on its title especially a rebuilt or salvaged title. it is impossible to resell and you dont know what really happened and what you are buying.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
cptdarel
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
dealers are also allowed to have a brand new car damaged and then fix it and not tell you and sell it as new.
i dont know how much damage is allowed in that.

never buy a car that has a big stigma on its title especially a rebuilt or salvaged title. it is impossible to resell and you dont know what really happened and what you are buying.

This is the business I have been in my entire life, I have worked on assembly line for GM, to see car frames wrinkled and attempted frame repair prior to body drop onto frames, I have written estimates and repaired cars damaged by delivery carriers, and all is repaired so the new car buyer doesn't know, in Calif today they have to disclose new car repair anything over $500 in repairs, BUT that can be worked around too..........so it's kind of opens your eyes to anything you buy in the consumer world, you just never know whats under the paint.

When I worked for a Chevy dealer we has a slew of cars that were on a train to Calif from Mich., well somewhere in Nevada some one had a plinking festival, and we had to repair I don't remember how many bullet holes..........and the stories continue.........

As for salvaged title", for me that is no big deal because that is what I have done all my life...............if you are cautious by all means stay away.

Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by cptdarel; 07-07-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Darrell, just want to thank you for commenting on a lot of these types of topics involving vehicles and insurance.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
Johnandhis4x4
Chromer

there used to be (may still be) companies that would come out and inspect a vehicle for you. I used lemon busters a bunch of many years ago and thought they were very through.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
hot wire
Ifish Nate

Carfax is an outstanding negotiating tool for the buyer.
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #17
cptdarel
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wire View Post
Carfax is an outstanding negotiating tool for the buyer.
Depends who you are buying from, I would send you down the road myself, if you depend on Carfax, I would want to sell to someone that knows cars well.
As stated I have worked with customers that literally don't know a gas cap from a hub cap. see ya!

Mahatma Gandhi
Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #18
hot wire
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdarel View Post
Depends who you are buying from, I would send you down the road myself, if you depend on Carfax, I would want to sell to someone that knows cars well.
As stated I have worked with customers that literally don't know a gas cap from a hub cap. see ya!
Spoken by a car true dealer

Anyone buying a car nowadays regardless of the knowledge of mechanics, can save thousands on buying a salvage title for example or a wrecked vehicle or a stolen vehicle. I don’t care what dealer you buy a car from if you don’t have a prepaid Carfax option that you can run A carfax before you buy the car you could be taken advantage of, even if by accident.

You’re darn right it’s a negotiating tool!!!
Old 07-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #19
hot wire
Ifish Nate

Now as far as private party goes, if you don’t use the fact that car has been in a wreck based on the Carfax report it may or may not have been divulged to you the time did you go to buy it from that person, then you’re silly.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
cptdarel
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wire View Post
Spoken by a car true dealer

Anyone buying a car nowadays regardless of the knowledge of mechanics, can save thousands on buying a salvage title for example or a wrecked vehicle or a stolen vehicle. I don’t care what dealer you buy a car from if you don’t have a prepaid Carfax option that you can run A carfax before you buy the car you could be taken advantage of, even if by accident.

You’re darn right it’s a negotiating tool!!!
Your absolutely right, I failed to mention car dealers, they have an obligation to make that sale, cause you have that man/woman looking at that end of month report, and and closing for that bonus check.

that last job I had was at a Honda dealer, as you walked in the showroom they had a sign " want to see the Carfax, we got them", so what they are saying, we are hiding nothing.

Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by cptdarel; 07-10-2019 at 10:21 AM.