Umpqua river east of I-5 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 08-01-2001, 03:21 PM   #1
Carver_OR
Chromer

Default Umpqua river east of I-5

I've fished the lower Umpqua river for smalls and steelhead with good luck. I'm going to spend a few days on the upper river above I-5. Anyone fished that area before and what type of fish should I expect? Any places that I should go look at that isnt fishing related.

Sharp hooks,
Pat

Carver_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2001, 09:16 PM   #2
SeanD
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Umpqua river east of I-5

I fished the umpqua around the tyee area which is ten or fifteen miles west of I-5 weekend before last. My dad and i fished out of a canoe and drifted nine hours and fished a little over seven miles. We caught somewhere between 60 and 80 small mouth each. The hot lures for me was a little panther martin spinner with gold body, black blade with red spots. It was nonstop action on that spinner, although most of the fish were smaller. The other hot lure was an excalibur fat free shad in the fingerling size, pale colour. cuaght mostly bigger fish some around two pounds. Tried other crankbaits, spinners, and plastics, but these two were the most productive. I mostly fished the crankbait because i liked catching bigger fish. My arm and wrist were almost to tired at the end of the day to work the crankbait anymore! good luck.
Old 08-01-2001, 09:40 PM   #3
Williedrifter
Steelhead

Hey seanD where do ya bass fish around the big Corvallis. I've tried a few places with very limited success and am mighty frustrated. Also you said you took a canoe down the Umqua, could a guy get a drift boat down that same stretch. Thanks.
Williedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2001, 11:21 PM   #4
SeanD
Ifish Nate

Jay,
to be honest with you im not really a bass fisherman. Ive been to the umqua twice, but besides that ive never really fished for bass hardly at all. I have heard that the wah chang pond in albany has some big largemouth bass in it though. The umqua is only a couple hours away though. The only driftboat i saw was a guide, and he put in just downriver from the bridge at tyee. So i would assume a driftboat would be ok. We definatly scratched up the fiberglass canoe, and at one point we had to get out and walk it down the rapids but only for a short distance.
Old 08-02-2001, 07:05 AM   #5
Carver_OR
Chromer

Hi Gabe,
Your email would not reply to the addy that was on it so I'll post your answer here. We plan on driving from the coast along the back roads along the river. I fly fish and spinner fish from the bank. Well be looking around the main, South, and North fork so any fishing information or places that we should see will be appreciated. I have a great map of the whole river so I should be able to find any secret places that you tell me...I won't tell any one about them :> ).
Good times fishing,
Pat
Carver_OR is offline   Reply With Quote