An attempt at Walleye Tech - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 07-18-2001, 12:26 PM   #1
Tanner
Sturgeon

Default An attempt at Walleye Tech

Well, we started out with a bang but it seems to have fizzled.
I'm not a great Walleye Fisherman but I'll try my hand at some tech.

When I walleye fish I use a lot of spinner and worm harness rigs fished on a bottom walker. I decided that I did not want to spend that much money on bottom walkers so I started making my own.

Get some heavy gauge wire (The thickest stuff you can find at Fisherman's Marine Supply) some barrell swivels and a pair of needle nose pliers. Cut about two feet of wire off and take your pliers 12" up from the bottom of the wire and turn the wire around the nose of the pliers 3 - 4 turns. This gives you an L shaped wire with a loop right at the elbow to connect your main line to.
Next, take the end of the wire that your leader will be attached to. Grab with your pliers 4" - 5" up from the end then take a barrel swivel and slide it onto the wire and let sit right next to your pliers. Turn the end of the wire around your pliers 3 - 4 turns. Make sure the swivel is ending up inside the loop that is made.
Now for the tricky part. Grab the tag end of the wire you just turned and bend it parallel with the main wire. It should break right at the loop leaving you with a nice clean break with no sharp tag sticking out from the loop.

Go back to the standing part of your bottom walker, take your pliers half way up and bend a slight kink into the wire. Now you can slide on and off different size egg sinkers and the kink will keep them on the wire while you are fishing. Note: You should make the kink big enough that it takes a good amount of effort to get the weight on and off of your bottom walker.

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2001, 02:09 PM   #2
Jellyhead
Chromer

Default Re: An attempt at Walleye Tech

Thanks for the tip Tanner. Do you fish in the Mult. Channel at all for walleye or just in the columbia?

My attempts at walleye so far have been pretty poor.

Aaron
Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 02:17 PM   #3
Tanner
Sturgeon

Default Re: An attempt at Walleye Tech

I have not fished the channel for them for a long time, but I do know there are some big Bug Eyes in there. If you are interested in learning how to catch them I recommend a book by Ron Boggs called Columbia River Walleye II. It is a real easy read. I know it improved my success for Walley. By the way, you have the perfect boat for walleye in the channel. A real big part of walleye fishing is boat control.