Henry Hagg Lake Stocking Reductions - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 03-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
Pensacola
Tuna!

Default Henry Hagg Lake Stocking Reductions

Hagg Lake is proximal to the bulk of Oregon's metropolitan population and is heavily used now that the opportunities to successfully land both salmon and steelhead in northwestern Oregon have been curtailed.

In the past the plantings in the lake have been between 12,000 and 18,000 each.

The stocking early in March was 12,000 legal sized fish that, evidently, did not come from the commercial hatchery at Desert Springs as was very obvious by their size and quality,

The information I've been able to gather off the ODFW Website indicates the following plantings will take place the week of the dates provided.

Date: 3/30, Legals 4000, Trophy 1000, Total 5000

Date: 4/27, Legals 2334, Total 2334

Date: 5/4, Legals 3134, Trophy 300, Total 3434

Date; 6/1, Legals 2666, Total 2666

Very disappointing ODFW, Very disappointing!

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #2
spoonmaster
Steelhead

Default Re: Henry Hagg Lake Stocking Reductions

This the same agency that assured us they would increase stockings to lakes when they stopped stocking most of the
westside streams and rivers?
spoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
rollcast
Ifish Nate

It seems like the lakes and ponds in the Southern half of the state seem to get a ton of fish but for some reason, Hagg does not.

Walter Wirth (21 acres) in Salem is set to get 25,340 trout.

Walling Pond (8 acres) which is just down the road is set to get 7,750 trout

Junction City Pond (8 acres) 23,225 trout

Alton Baker (375 acres for the whole park, water is only a fraction of that) Canal 42,780 trout

Henry Hagg Lake (1153 acres) 36,434 trout

It may be that they just favor smaller waters where the trout are guaranteed to be caught.

Cottage Grove Reservoir (1025 acres) is only set to get 24,374 trout

Even with all that said it seems like an inordinate amount of trout are stocked between Salem and Eugene.

Seems kind of crazy.

skunk is a fly, not an event

Last edited by rollcast; 03-09-2020 at 09:57 AM.
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
uhmw
King Salmon

The metro area has bountiful areas and rives in which trout could be stocked for fisheries that would greatly benefit the majority of license buyers who live in the Portland metro area. These areas have been abandoned and left as absolutely beautiful and accessible sterile wild breeding grounds so that they could be "Left alone" No pun intended -under the guise of wild fisheries that the elected majority of politicians have been enforcing for the last 30 years. We have learned what this really means is the ODFW under the direction of governor Brown and both chambers of the Senet will spend your increasing license fees on salaries, administrators, environmental scientists and their retirement -to benefit who???

Last edited by uhmw; 03-09-2020 at 10:40 AM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Pensacola
Tuna!

Wellllll.... The Willamette still hasn't started cooking, same with the Columbia, so I took the sled out to Hagg this morning trying for some of those deep brooders. The water temp is pretty homogenous but there is something holding the MUCH larger fish at 45 to 60 feet. Surface temp is 44.6 degrees so it's still pretty chilly if your an exothermic fish. With the small six pound balls on the downriggers it was easy to put the offering right in front of these things.
I got one really good bang at 60 feet that took off on a hard run that I never slowed down. On the second run he managed to break the 6# snapping the leader with his tail two feet above the lure. There are some big arches. Before leaving I tried up higher and just below the surface and got two little stockers to play.

All in all a nice day with excellent weather, little wind and only about ten boats on the whole lake. I heard of only two other small fish landed and saw the bankies doing nothing as well. The rain coming this weekend will be insufficient to raise the rivers but a little warming of the water would help!
Old 03-13-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola View Post
Wellllll.... The Willamette still hasn't started cooking, same with the Columbia, so I took the sled out to Hagg this morning trying for some of those deep brooders. The water temp is pretty homogenous but there is something holding the MUCH larger fish at 45 to 60 feet. Surface temp is 44.6 degrees so it's still pretty chilly if your an exothermic fish. With the small six pound balls on the downriggers it was easy to put the offering right in front of these things.
I got one really good bang at 60 feet that took off on a hard run that I never slowed down. On the second run he managed to break the 6# snapping the leader with his tail two feet above the lure. There are some big arches. Before leaving I tried up higher and just below the surface and got two little stockers to play.

All in all a nice day with excellent weather, little wind and only about ten boats on the whole lake. I heard of only two other small fish landed and saw the bankies doing nothing as well. The rain coming this weekend will be insufficient to raise the rivers but a little warming of the water would help!
Thanks for the report. Bummer about losing that big one.

I am not sure how the cold snap this weekend will affect the fish and the water temp. The rain is supposed to be pretty cold (even some snow). I don't think this is going to raise the water temp. I am curious about the water temp you did report.

When I was there a few weeks ago the surface temp was 47. I am pretty confident in that since I have calibrated my temp against my thermo pen. (It was off by 1.8 degrees.) I am surprised that the surface temp would have dropped given the generally warmer weather since then.

Have you checked the calibration on your temp sensor?

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
Pensacola
Tuna!

Seemed pretty cold to me too. I'm back out there tomorrow and I'll check the surface temp and at depth as well with the high dollar mercury thermo. I'm hearing about a few fish down by Santosh on the Channel and nuthin' on the Columbia yet so might as well Un-Self-Quarantine out at the lake for a few hours. We codgers have to be careful! Assuming I go, there will be a full report. I did have ice in the drift boats here in Beaverton two nights in a row, however.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
Pensacola
Tuna!

3/18 What a Beautiful Day! When I arrived at Ramp C the lot launch was jammed with one gentleman putting together his pontoon raft leaving exactly no other vehicles waiting in line. From my previous trip I had learned that Lake Trolls followed by some form of "meat" was the preferred dietary requests of the trout and that it had to be presented SLOooowly to be of any interest to them. Surface temp was 46.9 degrees and the temperature down to sixty feet varied only about one degree colder. Using three different temperature sensing devices revealed all to be in agreement.

I fished at the dam where there remained very large arches between 45 and 60 feet. Several of these may have been bonked by the downrigger balls but only one wanted to play. This was a beautiful (approximately 18 inch, chrome) Rainbow that refused to come out from under the boat until he spotted the downrigger line as his favored escape method. At least this one did no break me off. An hour and a half later and only one bite near the dam outlet caused me to go looking. It seemed logical that warmer water would draw the fish and no risers were seen near the dam.

The bay just up lake of Ramp A had several trollers participating but no one responded positively to my upheld palms. Proceeding further along the shoreline revealed some smaller arches in about 25 FOW and just a bit off the bottom. I spent the rest of the morning beating the shoreline in front of the big green field in order to scratch out a limit of fat 11 to 13 inchers. When cleaned these fish were pink meated and chock full of those cute green shrimp about the size of the period on your screen. What seemed to work well was a larger chrome Lake Troll with a longer leader sporting a green Wiggle Hoochie with both hooks tipped by a white Crappie Nibble. There were LOTS of tap taps where they nabbed the Nibble. I added half crawler and the additional meat source was sufficient to get them to commit assuring their deaths.

I remain self-quarantined and alone in the boat. If no good news is received on the Chinook front I'll be back out on the lake again partaking of this great weather and at least a modicum of interest from the trout.

Stay Healthy
Old 03-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #9
rocketmann25
Steelhead

Left the boat at home as I knew there would be crowds today. Ramp C was packed with both boat trailers and bank fishing crowds on the shoreline. Moved around the other side of the lake and just kept driving until no/few cars were in a turnout. I had my three girls with me. Found a spot where the warmish wind was blowing into the bank which likely warmed the shallower waters a bit. We caught 6 in about 2 hours fishing time and had chances for another 6 more at least. All 11-14 inchers. Find the warmer waters and they tend to perk up. Fishing from the boat wasnt working for me since the water is all same temp throughout the lake. When this turns over the fish will be moving up and a lot more active. More planter trucks dumping real soon. Take a kid fishing!

>>ROCKET