Build Thread: 93 Reinell Offshore 23'. - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 AM   #61
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Default Re: Build Thread: 93 Reinell Offshore 23'.

...Another day of great progress thanks to even greater friends! My best friend is a cabinet maker by hobby, and agreed to help me build a new storage cabinet in place of the old factory unit. It originally held a sink, stove and refrigerator. The fridge and stove were long gone, and the sink didn't work. We pulled that cabinet out, as a boat of this size doesn't need those kinds of amenities. What I needed was fishing tackle storage! He used the pieces he removed to make a template for the new cabinet, making the new cabinet larger and better constructed. The cabinet is now pre-fabbed, so that we can assemble it in place, in the boat, since the opening to the cabin is so small.

Here it is ready to go in, minus the trim pieces. Once in I'll varnish it in place so it will have a teakwood look to it. I threw a tackle box in there for comparison. It will hold 18 of those tackle boxes in the top two shelves.

(Sorry about the sideways pictures...)

This pic shows the side profile of the cabinet, that follows the hull of the boat.

I had my brother sand down the swim deck for me, and he did a great job. The Teakwood was really old (26 years to be exact), and was splitting badly. There was almost no varnish on it anymore, so it had been unprotected for a long time. Once it was sanded down I taped it off and used wood glue to fill in the cracks, allowing the glue to seep into the cracks as much as it wanted, to fill and strengthen the wood. Once it's completely dry I'll sand the glue down and then re-varnish the deck. I'll do the bow plank in the same manner, though the bow plank is in worse shape.

Last edited by Hold Fast; 07-16-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Hold Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #62
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Another twelve hour day.... got the cabinet built into the boat. The only thing missing now is the trim on the face, and the trim around the top (to keep items from rolling off the top of the cabinet). The trim is built, but we just need more time to get it nailed/glued down.

We got the trim built around the edges of the dash. It's 1.5" tall oak. I'll varnish it and lay some carpeting in behind it...

Last edited by Hold Fast; 07-21-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Hold Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #63
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Getting to be time to get back after this project again. I ended up working all the way through tuna season last year, due to overtime. This year I'm going to get on the boat early, and stay on it until its done. One thing I did get done last fall was getting the boat trailer rebuilt. I've got new suspension, brakes, and tongue on the boat. I'll be ordering up some LED lighting to replace the factory stuff. That should help out with the safety factor. As before. I'll update this thread as I go. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #64
JeffO
Chromer

One thing I learned in this life, is that if you do good work, as time marches on you find yourself surrounded more and more by nice stuff that that makes you feel good when you look at and use it.

I think you see where I'm going with this.
JeffO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #65
Hold Fast
Steelhead

I think so... Kinda. 😁
Old 02-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #66
mbslns
Steelhead

What's the thinking on the blue lights in the cabin? I know red lights are better for not impacting night vision, but I don't know if blue is as good or better. Definitely has the cool factor, though!
mbslns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #67
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbslns View Post
What's the thinking on the blue lights in the cabin? I know red lights are better for not impacting night vision, but I don't know if blue is as good or better. Definitely has the cool factor, though!

US Navy did a study and found blue lights effected vision less than red lights. When i was in all the ships were converted over to blue lights on the bridge, combat information center, etc.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:56 PM   #68
Hold Fast
Steelhead

So much for getting on the boat early... I forgot how much it rains in Northern OR. But I'm not complaining. It's good to be home. Anyway, the nice weather, and the virus ******** aside, I did get back after the boat. We're almost done with the wood work. My buddy got the cabinet face build and installed, and I'm almost done sanding the swim platform. We'll putty, stain and then seal with a urythane. Starting to look really good. Sorry for the sideways pics. I'm also pushing forward with the wiring, and getting that finished up. Getting very close now.