Sea Duty thread <<>> Riders - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 05-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #61
julezilla

Default Re: Sea Duty thread <<>> Riders

I know I'm new around here, but I'd love to put my name in as a rider. I love to fish, will work my butt off, don't get seasick, and can go on short notice. I have limited experience in the big water as 1) our boat is not great out there, and 2) my hubby gets really sick really easily. I'm a quick study, and I have deep respect for the ocean and those who fish it.

I have some gear and will pay my share. I just want to get out there, and would appreciate someone showing my green self how it's done.

julezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #62
fishindude
Chromer

Quote:
Fishindude ... why do I hear Dan Akroyd in his best 'Dragnet' voice reading your resume?
Just my lame attempt at humor.
fishindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #63
Teton
King Salmon

Jumping in (w/a PFD on)...

First, I'd like to thank all those Dogs I crewed with last year, and the Captains who allowed me to crew on their boats. The summer of '06 changed me. I have been an avid outdoorsman all my life since growing up in the Rockies, but my first salty summer after seven years in the PacNW was seriously sublime.

I'm somewhat of a jack of a few trades, including farming/ranching, construction, equipment operation, analytical/physical chemistry, engineering and law, so if I can help, please do not hesitate to ask. I own an aluminum jet boat, but it only just pokes its nose a little way into the salt. I spend countless hours on the water chasing salmon (darn springer addiction) and waterfowl, so if you need an off-season fix, usually have a seat or two once in a while on the Weldcraft.

I will show up early with plenty of ice, a small soft-sided personal cooler, my full share of the fuel bill, a ditch bag, and plenty of enthusiasm. As a farm kid, I don't shy away from work and enjoy getting dirty and bloody while gutting, icing and carking. I won't be smoking or drinking on your boat (because I don't), and I see safety as the highest priority. My church responsibilities rarely allow me to fish on Sundays, but I'm nearly always available on Saturdays, and a few weekdays here and there. What a great group!

May I post this photo of a bloody day last September for your optical pleasure:

Last edited by Teton; 05-02-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Teton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #64
Medics-R-US
Tuna!

I love to fish and have fun!!!!

I live 7 miles from Newport, Or and I work as an EMTon a 24hr on 48hr off ratation so my available days vary. I can trade a shift with some notice.

My uncle is the Captain/Owner of the Charter vessel the Miss Raven so I am not new to salty sea.
I help out his crew whenever I get the chance to go out on the boat.
I have my own PFD and gear.
I can help out with gas $, cleaning and such.
I will even bring the captain my uncles usual payment of a couple of dozen chocolate chip cookies.
I do not smoke and I do not drink while on the water.
I do not get seasick.
I do not do drugs and I do not tolerate them.

My wife is also an avid fisher and loves the salty sea as well. If there is room she may like to go as well but her days are more limited as she manages her familys pet store in Waldport.
Yes she baits her own hook and she has this anoying habit of outfishing me most times.

I may be able to come up with some numbers and info from my uncle and other friends from time to time as well.

Hope to hear from a few of you salty dogs that have seats to fill soon.
Medics-R-US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #65
Pete
Administrator

Experienced hali/tuna crew with gear, good sense and gratitude ... limited time ... available for all-depth dates 5/19 and 6/2 if the season is still open. Committed to honoring the privilege, sharing the work, compensating for expenses, cleaning the boat and providing photographic documentation of the adventure. References upon request.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #66
Small Fry
Sturgeon

You Salty Dogs are awesome.

If anyone has a couple of open seats for tuna this summer Iíd like to sign up my wife Lori and I. We are both experienced fishers and boat mates. We had the opportunity to fish with John (Pilar) last summer so we have some experience. Willing to help with expenses and cleaning chores afterwards. Or if anyone is interested in a partial trade for a trip for Sturgeon this spring in Astoria or up river bright salmon in the poison water on our boat. 18 foot forward helm Alumaweld sled.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #67
South Paw
Steelhead

Will someone take me fishin'? I've a bunch of bad habits, fishin bein' the worst of em. I gotta pole or two. and a boat or two. My favorite kinda fish is one with a fin on it. I've washed crappers and'll pay my share. I've even done fire control on 19' tuna boats. I don't puke much and have referals upon request.
South Paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #68
MattPark
King Salmon

I want (need?) some more experience in the salt. I've fished and been around boats since I was a little feller.

I'm an experienced boat owner, I'm probably on the water 2-3 days a week on average, every day if the weather is nice or the fishin is good. I don't get sea sick I've got all sorts of gear. I'm a mechanic by trade, so chances are if something breaks, I can fix it, whether it's an engine problem or an electrical issue. I'm not easily offended, and I have no problem poking fun when needed. Second hand smoke doesn't bother me. The only thing I bring on other boats (besides gear if required) is a small backpack, with food/drinks and a handheld GPS and VHF. I have no problem bringing anything else, whether it's coolers or a barbeque, I just know how much I hate clutter on my boat. If I fish, I plan to spend all day, and will help wherever help is wanted.

I don't smoke or drink (at least not on the water). I get along with darn near everyone I meet. I don't care if I catch fish. I'm more than happy to give fish away if others don't have any luck. I'm always on time. I just want to go out and learn a bit more about how to catch fish out there, and how to safely do it. Safety is a big concern for me, I'm not interested in living life on the edge out there (find someone else to go if you are:grin Oh yeah, and I like to have fun.

I've got a 20' Alumaweld Formula Vee that I'll venture on out into the salt a bit more as soon as I know more about how it all works. I know how frustrating it is to bring people and have them damage gear without some kind of reinbursement (even an apology), and not help with expenses. That's unacceptable in my book. I'll take responsibility for damaged gear, and any other expense, whether it's bait, fuel, etc without question.

I've got the most flexible schedule in the world. I have a 3/4 ton pickup, and I don't have a problem hauling a boat to the coast. I'm closest to the mouth of the CR or Garibaldi, but I'll drive south.

Last edited by MattPark; 05-03-2007 at 04:38 PM.
MattPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:43 AM   #69
Irish Pennant
Sturgeon

Let me introduce myself, my name is Rick aka Irish Pennant I'm looking for an open seat from time to time and a chance to crew and fish with some of you salty dogs.
My boat crew qualifications are:
1) USNR 1975-81 Boatswains Mate 2nd class, I went through Boat Coxswain School, Rigging School and Dive School, I drove Mic Boats, Swift Boats, Utility Boats and the Captains Gig. I ran Liberty Boats when ever we were anchored off shore. I worked as a BM on an oiler for 3 years doing underway replenishment, my marlinespike seamanship is pretty solid.
2) From 1998-Currently USCG Auxiliary, Boat Coxswain
3) Small Boat owner operator most my adult life, currently I have a 20' NW Jet
4) Never been sea sick
5) Don't complain much or loudly

Fishing Qualifications
1) I have never worked as a deck hand on a fishing boat
but I do know how to tie a variety of knots and rig a variety of baits.
2) I listen well (can't hear good) and I pick things up quick
3) I fish hard and I'm passionate about it
4) Tuna experience is limited. Only gone out on charter boats.
5) Halibut, I fish for them every year at Sekiu on my boat and then on charters off of oregon.

All in all, I'm in ok shape for a 49 year old man, no medical problems, don't smoke and I know when and when not to drink.

I will pitch in my fair share of cash and chores, I'll even listen to your stories.

I'm self empolyed (Tool and Die/Machine Shop), my work load (customers) dictates which days I can take off.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #70
Chesapeake
King Salmon

My name is Rick. I'm 29, don't smoke, don't drink much, and don't do drugs. I have no need to drink on the water and would prefer the captain and crew dont either, but I'm capable and have the fortitude to get the boat back to port on my own if need be.

I come equiped with my own safety gear, handheld GPS, VHF, fillet knives, sharpener, oyster knife, coolers, rods, reels, salmon, bottom, limited tuna gear, bibs and Extra-tuffs.

I'm no stranger to the salt or a fillet knife. I can clean any fish we catch except maybe a skate (I've seen them punched out a few times but never done it myself).

I can provide an extended cab diesel tow rig if need be to save on fuel and allow car pooling.

I have captained family and friends boats for tuna halibut and salmon out of Newport and Garibaldi. I've fished salmon and bottom fish at least a few times pretty much every year of my life out of Garibaldi.

I will contribute to the expenses and replace anything I break.

What I'm looking for is a ride or two on an experienced tuna boat out of the CR or Garibaldi so I can learn what others do.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #71
ForeverFishing

I have a boat but welcome the opportunity to crew on other boats as well, especially on those borderline days and longer voyagages. My schedule is pretty flexible too!

My email is [email protected]; buzz me anytime!
ForeverFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #72
LQQKASTAR
Ifish Nate

I SURVIVED A ride on Crazy fish'es boat ~nuff said~.. kidding Ken(kinda)

I dont drink on the boat, but i do smoke, am drug free.

I am first Mate on trackers boat (3 yrs now), Have about 25 tuna trips under my belt, never once been sick, i bring tracker his water & Jerky as he lays on the deck sick(just once in a while dave)

my job on trackers boat is to make it a safe trip,along with dave i run the deck,talk with dave about tennitive locations to fish, rig lines,help out any other crew with their needs, and pay close attention to newcomers.
got my own gear+1 and a live bait reel, got tons of gear, and if I dont have it ill steel it off trackers boat(he dont read this thread )

Team "Just keep fishing" 1st Place,Ilwaco 2010
Oregon Tuna Classic participant,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009.WTC,2009,
LQQKASTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #73
pnwcoast
Tuna!

My over Pilar

Last edited by pnwcoast; 05-07-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: My over
pnwcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #74
Hookset
King Salmon

After reading the resumes here it's almost reason enough to buy a ocean going vessel so I can take a bunch of you fishing.

But alas, I'm land based and looking for a ride to the big blue in pursuit of halibut, tuna or whatever else is on the menu, it's all good. I have a little experience with Tuna and some limited time with halibut, but I really love it all. I'm a long time salmon, steelhead and trout fisherman sprinkled in with several ocean adventures.

I don't smoke, drink and certainly don't do any drugs.

I have some gear and a few rods that'll fish halibut, tuna, salmon and bottom fish. I'll clean and fillet fish, help in every way I can and will always contrbute with cash. I live in Albany so Newport really would be my home port but I'm also willing to travel. I'm also off work every Thursday through Saturday and every other Wednesday so every other week I have 4 days to fish.

Good luck to everyone and thanks for your consideration,

Gregg
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #75
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar View Post
I'll be calling you fishboys.

Fishindude ... why do I hear Dan Akroyd in his best 'Dragnet' voice reading your resume?

John, funny you should say that, I was thinking the same darn thing. For some reason Connie Swail comes to mind somehow.:grin:

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #76
SeaJayOR
Steelhead

South Paw,
I'm your huckleberry
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Paw View Post
Will someone take me fishin'? I've a bunch of bad habits, fishin bein' the worst of em. I gotta pole or two. and a boat or two. My favorite kinda fish is one with a fin on it. I've washed crappers and'll pay my share. I've even done fire control on 19' tuna boats. I don't puke much and have referals upon request.

It's Whaler Time!
SeaJayOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #77
Packy
Steelhead

You all sound great to me, I will be putting you guys and gals on our list we have a 26' boat called the Esther-Marie in space C-83 Newport Marina
Feel free to stop by and say Hi! We are there generally most weekends. and some weekdays. We will be looking for riders all through late spring till late fall. We fish for it all. Good luck to all of you and hope all your trips are great ones!
Packy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #78
Bullwoods
Steelhead

Red face Re: Sea Duty thread <<>> Riders

OK, well here go's. After reading all these resumes I feel a little inadequate. My name is Randy I am a 30 year fitter and Iorn worker in a few shops, I have lot's of time running small boats on rivers and lakes. I don't mind hard work, I can take an order. I will pay my fair share of gas, bait, ice, ect. And I will help clean the boat. That's me, I bought a new 18' Alumaweld Intruder,(I know it's small) and I want to learn how to go over the bar and handle a boat offshore, So,,,,I'm looking to ride and learn. That's it I'll pay my share, work my share, and get out of the way when told. How bout a ride?

Last edited by Bullwoods; 05-28-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Bullwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #79
Pete
Administrator

Still hoping for a generous captain to help an addict seeking white gold on 6/2 or 6/16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Experienced hali/tuna crew with gear, good sense and gratitude ... limited time ... available for all-depth dates 5/19 and 6/2 if the season is still open. Committed to honoring the privilege, sharing the work, compensating for expenses, cleaning the boat and providing photographic documentation of the adventure. References upon request.

Won't someone PLEASE through this dog a bone? I'm getting sad about the lack of opportunity.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #80
rainrshine
Tuna!

Hi there. I'm going to be staying at the barview campground this weekend with a buddy (another ifisher). I'll be taking my boat over for crabbing and fishing but would love to get a seat out for some flatties. We've got our own gear and experience on the salt. Gas $$$$$ And of course always stay until the boat is clean and the skipper is happy with the results Oh yeah and we picked up 43 shad yesterday so we've got BAIT

Rainrshine and 1Aught
Old 05-30-2007, 04:07 AM   #81
Davy
Ifish Nate

Need a seat filled? New one here to iFish and SD's. Not to Oregon or the Pacific. Trolled for salmon /albacore in the 70's&80's up and down the WC. Half Moon to Neah Bay. SE Alaska as well, Sitka, Pelican, Fairweather. Can fish most any day, on short notice . Some days I am pleasant, others probably not so:frown:. Current CPR/FA/ENVIR. Taken OUPV course and passed the tests. Strong hard worker, Will pay share and help with all needed work. Always on time or early. I do smoke but always downwind . Two hours from Newport-Tillamook . I own a driftboat and river sled. Many years in both. Opens seats this summer/fall avail to those if interested. Flyfishing/bait/plugs,whatever. Somewhat new again to Oregon rivers- 30 year absent native.

Let's just fish, thanks Davy
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #82
wilsonriverfisher
Ifish Nate

Id love to go out on the big blue ive only been a couple times! Im willing to pay for whatever or chip in anything. Im always willing with notice.

Mike
wilsonriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #83
djchaser
Chromer

I have gear and experience ( Tracker will tell you ) I have fished for tuna (yep I got the whole eating the heart thing going on Trackers boat)Halibut and Salmon. I am willing to help with the $$ and the work.I have sat/sun off and then sun/mon off. Drop me a line and lets go fishing 503-754-2611 Don

Last edited by djchaser; 06-26-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: to update info
djchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 AM   #84
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

As a captain looking for crew, one of the issues I have to overcome to round up crew is getting ahold of potential crew.

I dont arrange trips weeks in advance because I dont know what the ocean will be doing. I hate to line up crew and then have to cancel. I like to look at the forecast Tuesday or Wednesday for the upcoming weekend. If it looks promising, I then need to get crew lined up in just a couple days.

Lets say I have 3 open seats to fill, I have several buddies number in my phone and I start there usually because I can get an answer pretty quick. At this point I am down to 1 or 2 open seats. Lets say I have 1 seat for my example here.

I have done it but dont like to post open seats because I feel obligated to take the person who responds first. Though I may prefer to fish with the 3 or 4th person who post or emails as opposed to the first person. Its difficult on who to pick and be fair to you and me, I prefer somebody I have at least met at a TA meeting. I would rather pick my crew as opposed to just taking who ever responded first.

Lets say I go to this thread and try to give somebody an opportunity. I email them Wednesday if they allow emails thru ifish, otherwise I have to PM thru ifish and hope you log on to see it. Thursday morning I have not heard yet and am running out of time, so I shoot off a couple more PM's or emails to a couple different people. Thursday night I get 3 yes responses for 1 seat, now I have just created a situation where I invited somebody and have to say sorry to you and feel bad. I dont like to put myself in that situation.

If your looking for a seat on this thread, posting a phone number goes a long ways from my perspective. A captain can usually get ahold of you very quick and see if your available for subject day or not and book a seat or move on to the next person.

I hope everybody posting here gets chances to get out.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #85
Davy
Ifish Nate

well heck--- 503-873-7364 or, OR LOL

425-210-6854

Davy, Silverton
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #86
wdlfbio
Tuna!

Howdy all. Clearly it's close to the time when some of us abandon our spouses and especially our jobs I can feel it almost as much as the impending bird seasons. However, this summer is going to be different for me. The last few years Poi Dog and I have gone out of Westport (mostly), Depoe once, and Ilwaco once (thanks to Odin for leading). Sadly, he moved to Utah and sold his boat. So, now I'm boatless (mine is a jet sled). It was only 22', so we picked our days carefully. Our goal was to bring our tunagins and change their lives. We shared responsibility and discussed our options. We each had to take turns at the helm because we each loved putting us on fish. Handlines are used only for meat and as teasers. Trolling served as the sweetest alarm clock west of the coast and unless a tunagin was on board, we shot for the fun of doubles and triples. But now, I want live bait, iron, or swimbait fish. I'm even very much up for an overnighter. I have 2 casting rods, and 3-4 trolling setups (no 2-speeds). I prefer light line and having fun with these beastly critters versus yarding them in. In fact, if they come in too quick on a newbie, I've been known to turn the gaff and whack a fish once or twice just so as not to spoil the newbie

I'm a federal Bio, and my boss knows how frequently I get tuna fever, so I can be available on pretty short notice and weekdays are not problem. I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I try to get plenty of rest before the trip (I've found that a good meal and honest rest is the best prevention for sea sickness). I can filet quickly and cleanly and usually had to push Mike to make sure we got the boat cleaned up right away (it's tough to do at 11p after a long day of driving, fishing, and driving home). I also know the expenses of a trip and we all have to pay our way.

So, if you guys have space heading out of Westport or Ilwaco, please give me a hollar. I'm more than willing to swap a couple seaduck hunts in my neck of the woods (layout boat style).

Laurence

Last edited by wdlfbio; 06-12-2007 at 09:07 PM.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #87
Bullwoods
Steelhead

Here it is, Randy at 503-869-8972 I work days but leave voice mail 6:30- 4:00 and I'll get back as soon as I'm off work. Would really like one ride over the bar. Fixen to jest go for it.

Last edited by Bullwoods; 06-16-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Bullwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #88
MarshBum
Ifish Nate

Hellow, name is Geoff. I've been clean since August 21, 2006... and it's killing me.

I have a deep need to set my forearms on fire, wade in chest deep blood, breath salt air, and run straight for 26 hours.

I earned (hopefully I earned it) my TUNA! hat last year, under the guidance of Pilar.

I am still a newbie, eager to learn and not afraid to be told the right way to do something.

I gladly pitch in for my share of the go juice and bait bill. I will stay until the skipper says leave.

What can I say, I like boats, I like fish, and I like people with boats that fish.

Perhaps a haiku...

Loving the TUNA!
Those nuclear submarines
I hear screaming reals

Geoff

"But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come." Mark 4:29

I am the Coot Commander

Last edited by MarshBum; 06-27-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: I apparently can't write a simple Haiku
MarshBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #89
Shameless
Coho

test
Shameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #90
Shameless
Coho

I am Captain of Shameless a 26 ft. Striper. Shameless is equipped with GPS, RADAR, VHF, CB, and Depth/Fish Finder. I have over 40 years experience fishing out of Newport both commercial and private.

There are 3 seats available on Friday June 22nd for a day at the Ranch halibut fishing. In the past 5 years we failed to limit the boat 2 times. Last year over 75 halibut saw the dry side of Shameless.

I like a beer with lunch and one when the box is full but I donít like partiers on the boat. When we cross the bar you should expect to spend the day gone unless weather conditions change or we just get tired of lifting fish 600-800 feet. You should be able to tolerate oldies rock and roll and country music (AJ is my favorite). If you really feel like you need to complain about something you should plan to carry some paper and a pencil. Write your complaint down so that when we return you can mail it to someone who wants to listen, maybe your mom.

I like good sports who share in the expense, work and most of all the fun. Shameless is a great boat with lots of great times both in the past and yet to come. If youíre interested in joining me for a day of Shameless fun you should email me you phone number and tell me something about yourself. I canít guaranty a seat this weekend but if you seem like the kind of person I would like to fish with Iíll keep your number for future trips. My email address is below and I look forward to meeting some great new friends.

Fair winds and following seas,

Myrlin

Email me at: [email protected]
Shameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #91
MarshBum
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameless View Post
If you really feel like you need to complain about something you should plan to carry some paper and a pencil. Write your complaint down so that when we return you can mail it to someone who wants to listen, maybe your mom.
Sweet grief that's funny... Shamelessly funny. I want to fish with you just for that.

Geoff

"But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come." Mark 4:29

I am the Coot Commander
MarshBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #92
Livin the Dream
Tuna!

Hi all,
Been on the salt on and off for 20 years for halis, rockfish, salmon etc. This will be my third year tuna fishing, mostly with Tracker. I bring the $$, ice, rod and reel, etc. and help clean up at the end of the day.
Can bleed, spike, gut and cark Tuna (thanks LQQKASTAR for the on the water lessons). Just quit smokin but dont care if you do.
Prefer to be on a boat where drinking occurs back at the dock. I work hard out there and love to have a good time while doin it.
PM me if you need a solid crew member.

Thanks!
AL

Last edited by Livin the Dream; 06-20-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Livin the Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #93
drillman
Steelhead

fellow salty dogs i would like to get a chance to go tuna fishing .i have never been tuna fishing. but do know my way around just a little bit. comm fished with my dad in the late 60 and 70s. was in the merchant marines till 85. i have fished kelly point in own small boat ,green peater dam . newport bay . all of my geer was taken by twikers a few years ago ,so dont have any but do have money for gas and bait and such. have fished with willierower and with bill lotswould love to go out on a saturday or sunday phone number is 503 805 2196. thanks vance kelly
donot drink no drugs will help clean up not a problem i do smoke.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #94
Wang
Ifish Nate

Lookin for a ride to catch my first TUNA! For the next couple of weeks I can go on very short notice. Lots of fishing experience, but little with the salt other than maybe twenty or so trips off shore for salmon and bottom fish on charters and buddies boats. I butcher my own game so I see no problem with picking up on carking TUNA!

I read the SD's page almost daily and understand what is expected of me if I am asked aboard.

503-881-0532
Bill
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #95
Coho Kid
Steelhead

Now that school is out, I am available on just about any day. I have been out with Ed. Sr. last year and learned a lot from him. I can catch, clean, and help in any way necessary.
I'd love to get out and catch some tuna, but just getting out on the blue is super.

Coho Kid
LeRoy Schultz
(503) 648-6871
Coho Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #96
deepsix
Tuna!

Sounds like the Tuna have arrived!
I can make a fast run over to newport or Depoe just about any day of the week. I have fished with and met
a few of the SDs over the last couple of years. Met a few
of you at the the last TA meeting in Corvallis.

I know the drill and can help out and not be in the way.
Would love to learn more about the live bait fishing but really don't care how they get to the boat. The day isn't done until the fish are carked and the boat put away.

I have plenty of gear. Give me a call or email if you happen to have a seat.

Bob 541-259-3336
[email protected]
Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #97
djchaser
Chromer

ok come on,there catchin tuna and it is killing me. I need to go tuna fishing soon or my wife is going to leave me until I do. So if you have a open seat on sun or monday drop me a line. I have poles and tackle and gas money.I can catch them and cark them. Give me a call and Lets Go Fishing 503-754-2611 Don
Old 06-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #98
sparkleboy
Tuna!

I’ve been reading through a number of posts on this thread and have some to a somewhat confusing and funny conclusion. There are a number of people who have shared stories about catching their first TUNA! And follow up with, “and oooohhhh brother, that did it. I’m ruined. Gosh darn TUNA! Freakin’ things gave me narcolepsy.” Well, my first TUNA! Story isn’t exactly super entertaining, nor does it deal with huge quantities of fish, or even a gigantic fish. In fact, it deals with one fish. One fish that happened to be a peanut, none-the-less. Chum King took me out last summer on my first and only trip for the bullets. We ended up hooking 7 fish and landed 4 (including the last one with a broken rod…). I caught the smallest fish at about 12 pounds. I’d have to say that trip ranked in my top three best ever fishing trips. That 12-pound fish was simply the hardest fighting fish I’ve ever caught. Not the most acrobatic, or the sheerest strength, but overall, the hardest fighting, most fun fish I’ve ever caught. I will not deny that single small fish did in fact turn me into an addict over night. However, I do not see that addiction being anything but a positive experience. I happen to enjoy daydreaming of which color clone I want to try on my next trip. I like the challenge of getting a rod out of a holder while sliding on TUNA! Blood and balancing my weight against the swell. And I honestly don’t mind the fact that I become glassy-eyed and begin drooling when I think of finally seeing some color after a hard-fought battle…..while in mid-conversation with someone else.

Some things you might like to know about me:
I’m still fairly new to the salt in general. However, I’ve already been out on the salt a half dozen times this year for bottom fish and halibut.
I have never had the misfortune of becoming seasick (knock on wood!).
I’m always willing to contribute my share towards expenses.
I have a couple of rods & reels, clones, feathers, Zucker’s, hooks, line, materials, etc.
I ALWAYS filet/cark my own fish and offer to help others.
I have no issue splitting the fish caught between everyone on the crew and the captain.
I can bring my own PFD.
I know how to operate a VHF radio and how to contact the Coastguard in case of emergency.
When a passenger, I respect the boat, the captain and crew, and the captain’s rules for the boat.
I'm willing to get up at anytime to get the trip started, and I'm willing to stay out as long as it takes.

I also have some other amenities to offer/trade/seduce:

I have a driftboat and would be more than happy to offer anyone generous enough to offer me a seat aboard their boat, a fall Chinook back-trolling/back-bouncing/bobber & eggs trip, or a winter steelhead trip on a number of central coast streams (I know these streams are deemed by many as the ‘poison water,’ but I also know the wind can blow and the swell can rise on the big blue).
I also have a large supply of freshly frozen Yaquina Bay herring I’d be willing to barter with for anyone looking to stock up on the best halibut bait available. There are still a good many herring days to go this summer, and I’d be willing to cater (within reason) to someone’s bait needs.

Lastly, I have references with Chum King and Salty Walty.

PMs appreciated for offers.

Thanks,

Aaron

Edit* Forgot to mention I'm in Newport, and don't need a heck of a lot of notice for a trip at the current time.

Scombridae freak!

Last edited by sparkleboy; 06-28-2007 at 11:08 PM.
sparkleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #99
bwild
Chromer

TUNA!gin for HIRE! Want TUNA! Will Travel.

Yep, I'm new to this. Two of my best buds got into this last year and won't shut up about it (See Marsh Bum and Teton's Posts). And it makes me drool when they tell me their stories.

I was born and raised in Oregon. I'm 29, work for a general contractor in the Portland Area. I've been on the salt only for bottom fishing and salmon about a dozen times, went fishing for wahoo, some cuda, and some billfish with Marsh Bum in the Bahamas, but never done the TUNA!

I currently am a trophy trout addict, note my avatar is a brown trout, not a salmon. I have a website that I help out with called www.trophytrouthunter.com. These things peel line, but I imagine nothing like a TUNA! I do go out every once in a while for steelhead and salmon when my friends are going.

Will pay my fair share of expenses (gas, bait, ice, etc). That goes without saying. Heck, I'll buy a rod if there isn't one to be lent, just tell me reel size, rod size, line, leader, etc. I am also very hard-working, catch-on quick, will take orders and listen, crack jokes and tell stories, and most importantly, I will stay as long as it takes to clean up the mess we create from catching TUNA!

Pending I don't have any deadlines or big meetings that I can't miss, I can try and make weekdays work if needed (but typically prefer weekends). All I need is a little heads up.

So, please consider me if you would to make me a TUNA!gin no more.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #100
bwild
Chromer

Here's my cell #, just in case for captains looking to conjer up a crew.

971-219-1273

Thanks,

Brian
Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #101
Slobes
Steelhead

My Dad and I are looking for a couple opens seats this weekend for tuna. Neither of us have been out before, but are eager and willing. We had hoped to make our first run this weekend, but the boats in the shop. We are both experienced salmon/bottom fishers. Oh, and we are more than willing to pay our way.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #102
Little Ellie
Cutthroat

New to the sight not the ocean. Saw your message and have 1 seat open on a 21 foot striper leaving out of newport tomorrow the 30th. I'm looking to break my tuna cherry with my 1st rec. tuna trip(did a commercial trip about 12 years ago) so if you want to go you'll be going with me and a buddy. I'm short on capacity ,knowledge , gear , but I've wanted to go for tuna for years and have always been limited by work, weather, or wallet but I'm gassed up and ready to go. This is my first reply and an open invite to anyone who reads it. First come first serve. I like to have a good time when I fish so leave your bible at home. Names Dave my cell number is 541 961 0953. Time is short. See ya'll tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Little Ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #103
Thecrease
Chromer

My Name is Clayton Creasey. I moved to Oregon 2 years ago from San Diego, Ca. In San Diego I fished the ocean for Tuna and Yellowtail for 18 years from my 18 foot Team Baja super panga. 2 years of that I owned a commercial license and sold sport caught Tuna, Yellow tail, Dorado and the occasional Mako. Currently I reside in Salem Or.

I know what it means to own and boat and all the risks/costs involved.

I have lots of Tuna gear and it sits in my Garage as I only own a bass boat now. I would much appreciate a lift to the Tuna grounds. I have Wed and Thurs off every week.

I would like to share some knowledge or gain some from skippers here on fishing Pac West tuna. I know a few tricks to keep the fish around the boat once you are hooked up. If you have never dragged rapalas or swimbaits for Albies/ bluefin I can teach you. Rapalas will catch and hook more bluefin than feathers and are extremly deadly on Albies also.

I know how to fish bait, megabaits, or swimbaits after the initial hookup.

I clean fish, boat, and pay my share.

Here are a few pics
84 pound bigeye I caught from my boat

Some yellows and Do Dos

Yellowfin

PM if interested.
Clayton
Thecrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #104
Coot22
Chromer

Good Day Dogs!

My Name is Cody Herman. I have been dreaming about TUNA! fishing since I began hearing of their "tales" in High-School while I worked at Fisherman's Marine Supply! It has now been near 8 summers without ever being blessed with the opportunity to go after these awesome fish!
Fortunately, I make my own schedule these days at work. I can be available, generally, on short notice!
I have owned a boat since I was 12yrs old and am no stranger to the sea. I know all the hard work, time, $$$ and effort that goes into a day on the pond and will do anything I am asked of. Whatever you want me to bring, I will. Gas money, Absolutely! Do you need extra Ice or coolers? Just let me know!
On the water, I am a serious fisherman. On my own boat, I am a perfectionist and everything must be precise at all times. That being said, Everyone has there own way of running their ship. I can sympathize with that. I will ALWAYS assist YOU on YOUR ship and will make sure to lend a helping hand where needed. I promise you that I will do everything I can to make sure that you do not regret giving me the opportunity of a lifetime!
I have a fair amount of TUNA! gear that is unused (handlines, lures, etc.) that I am more than willing to bring along with any heavy rods (High Quality) that may be needed! And...If you allow me too, I would love to bring my video camera along! (I have no problem putting the rod down and being a camera man for a while either to just get the action on film!)
I have the knowledge and the know-how, but, more importantly...I have the eagerness to learn and the willingness to listen!
Give me the chance of a lifetime...I will do everything I can to make it worth your while!

The Best way is to call my cell phone or email me. However, I do check my PM's on a near daily basis.

Contact Info:
Cell: (503) 706-2778
Office: (503) 885-9293
EMAIL: [email protected]

Interviews are all welcome!

TUNA!TUNA!TUNA!TUNA!TUNA!TUNA!TUNA!TUNA!TUNA!TUNA! TUNA!TUNA!

Last edited by Coot22; 07-02-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Coot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #105
flywrapper
Chromer

One day notice. Been tuna fishing once. Expenses, clean up, follow directions. Boat owner. Have some gear. Willing to learn.
Rick 503-888-7809
flywrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #106
Coho-gill
Cutthroat

I too wish to fish for these tuna. Because of idle times on ifish and reading too much about tuna fishing, I upgraded to a 22' NR Seahawk and dreamed of going out to warmer waters. But now I am boatless. Thank you, I know it is sad.
I'll do my part with work, $, cleanup, et al., to make it as easy as I can for the captain.
(I want to go again I'm sure!). Can go any day this week (July 6,7,8, if it lays down) and most Fridays-Sundays.
Steve Cowgill- Salem
cell 503-871-9856
[email protected]
Coho-gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #107
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

I would like an open seat this weekend, if possible. My normal (?) captain is Roger Cook of the Triple C. He's on the dogs board, so if you need a reference, send him a PM.

I've had to cancel a few trips with him due to commitments, and now I don't have a ride.

I have:

My own rod/reel
Salmon gear
Life Jacket
Boots that won't turn your deck black
Funds for expenses
Cleaning skills (fish and boat)

I don't have:
Tuna lures
Halibut gear

I follow directions and don't drink on the water

Call 503-366-1883 or
Page 888-475-7248

I want to fish. If you need a 50ish deck hand that doesn't get seasick(yet), like to fish and will stay as long as needed. Give me a call or PM.

I'll have a few questions for ya.

Thanks

Paul V
Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #108
fishonjon
Tuna!

self employed , one day notice ok, experience deck hand ,cleanup follow directions, boat owner, have gear for one or more tuna, hali, sal contact 503 851 3825 jon
Old 07-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #109
fishbait
King Salmon

My name is Steve Salveson (Fishbait)

Mostly looking for some Tuna Trips

I have some gear:
270 w/ Newell 229 20 lb
870 w/ Newell 229 25 lb
865 w/ Aver Pro EX 2 speed 65 Tuff w/ 50 lb mono topshot.

Have cedar plugs, some clones, plastics and misc other jigs/lures.

I have more than my share of Halibut and Salmon gear for when these fisheries are worthwhile and open. I know what I am doing when it comes to Salmon and Halibut and learning more and more each year for tuna.

Have hand held back up electronics and know how to use them. (vhf, gps, plb w/gps)

Have some tuna trips under my belt and any many trips f
or "those other fish" in the salt over the last 20 years. Been in trouble a few times in years past and prefer to not experience that again, so I tend to be picky about my captain(s) and their boat.

I tie good knots, share well, can scrub a deck with the best of them, know how to take orders, keep out of the way when necessary and not a bad hand to have around when things get tough or broke. If need be I can run a boat.

Own a couple of "non salt" boats and understand the true cost of boat ownership and always try to pay a little more than my share.

Show up 15 min early 98 % of the time, never late.

Willing to trade a few trips also. I catch a fair amount of Springers in March-May and lots and lots of fall chinook under a bobber.

Can fish weekdays with notice and work load allowing. Can fish on short notice (IE: evening before) and can do back to back days.

If you need a place to sleep I share my 34 ft RV.

If you want a reference, PM Maverick as I have been out with him dozens of times and have crewed for him on a few of his charters

Steve Salveson
work 503.292.7999
cell 503.939.9437
[email protected]
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #110
the apprentice
Chromer

Hello my name is zeke I normally ride with retaliate(dad) but always looking for another experience on another boat. I bring $$,ice,gear i"m a Pretty good deck hand been in the ocean for 20Yrs or so will clean the boat take orders when gave and have a good sense of humor. Like to see people catch fish and love helping them do it. I also have a list of references if needed. fished tuna in OR. 4Yrs
PM me
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #111
Stowaway
Tuna!

The apprentice is one of the best I've fished with......a very very good person to have onboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the apprentice View Post
Hello my name is zeke I normally ride with retaliate(dad) but always looking for another experience on another boat. I bring $$,ice,gear i"m a Pretty good deck hand been in the ocean for 20Yrs or so will clean the boat take orders when gave and have a good sense of humor. Like to see people catch fish and love helping them do it. I also have a list of references if needed. fished tuna in OR. 4Yrs
PM me

Retired team member - Team Just Keep Fishing
Stowaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #112
Fshklr
Tuna

Thanks for the seats Roy.

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #113
Irish Pennant
Sturgeon

Updated:

Let me introduce myself, my name is Rick aka Irish Pennant I'm looking for an open seat from time to time and a chance to crew and fish with some of you salty dogs.

My boat crew qualifications are:
1) USNR 1975-81 Boatswains Mate 2nd class, I went through Boat Coxswain School, Rigging School and Dive School, I drove Mic Boats, Swift Boats, Utility Boats and the Captains Gig. I ran Liberty Boats when ever we were anchored off shore. I worked as a BM on an oiler for 3 years doing underway replenishment, my marlinespike seamanship is pretty solid.
2) From 1998-Currently USCG Auxiliary, Boat Coxswain
3) Small Boat owner operator most my adult life, currently I have a 20' NW Jet
4) Never been sea sick
5) Don't complain much or loudly

Fishing Qualifications
1) I have never been a paid deck hand on a fishing boat
but I do know how to tie a variety of knots and rig a variety of baits.
2) I listen well (can't hear good) and I pick things up quick
3) I fish hard and I'm passionate about it
4) Tuna experience, I've crewed for a few of you salty dogs and I've been invited back. Also fished off of Charters out of San Deigo, Newport Ca and Newport Or. I can take care of the fish when they hit the boat.
5) Halibut, I fish for them every year at Sekiu on my boat and then on charters off of oregon.

I can cark tuna, clean halibut and rock fish.

All in all, I'm in ok shape for a 49 year old man, no medical problems, don't smoke and I know when and when not to drink.

I will pitch in my fair share of cash and chores, I'll even listen to your stories.

I'm self empolyed (Tool and Die/Machine Shop), my work load (customers) dictates which days I can take off.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #114
Cornfed
Steelhead

Gentlemen.

My name is Tommy aka "Cornfed". I have been on the water since I was born 24 years ago and have had a fishing rod in my hand for 20 of those years. I live to fish....I usually have to work 10 hours to get 8 hours of work in because I am here online with the Salty Dogs for 2 of those hours. I went to the Univ. of Nebraska for 5 years which ruined my fishing life, but I studied salmon, halibut, and tuna fishing as much as I studied engineering when I was there.

Fastforward to the present...I have hunted the seas for hali and salmon and done well, but nothing hails in comparison to TUNA! I am a tuna holic and I have never even caught one. I have my own sea-worthy vessel, but I want to go with someone that knows how its done and can teach me the ropes. I am looking for a TUNA MENTOR.

Some things to help you get to know me.
1. I like to get my clothes bloody.
2. I will man handle any fish that comes on the boat...including blues, makos, 200 lb hali etc. 9 years of continuous lifting and conditioning pays off!
3. I will rig anything. Say the word and it will be so.
4. Obviously, I will pay for gas, lure, etc.
5. Fishing is my life so say when and where and I will be there.
6. As soon as you teach me to hunt for tuna, I will teach others and keep the SALTY DOG tradition going!
7. Last but not least, I do not drink or smoke (I don't smoke at all) on any boat, but I would be more than happy to take the capn out to the bar for a couple rounds of Jack Daniels No. 7 or preferred drink after the slaughter.

Thanks Dogs, for everything you have given me already. Hopefully I can come on board with you in the future.

-Cornfed (Tommy)
Cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #115
julezilla

An update to my Rider plea -

I have now had the privledge of fishing in part of Moldy45's fleet on the DAHLFIN for Halibut.

I have also had my first TUNA! trip on the Macushlah with wyocowboy. I helped get the first two fish (on handlines drug in by the guys on the top deck) in the boat, and by the third fish on deck, I was doing the brain spike. By the fifth, I was knifing and getting them into the bleed bucket.

I think the guys I've fished with would give good references. Hope so, anyway!

I've also obtained a good variety of new gear including some tuna lures and a new tuna reel to go with my tuna/sturgeon rod.

I have my own PFD, my boaters card in case of emergency, and I am certified in first aid and CPR.

I can still go on short notice - basically all I need is 2 hours to fish out of Tillamook or Astoria, 3 hours for Newport - at least until the kids start school in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julezilla View Post
I know I'm new around here, but I'd love to put my name in as a rider. I love to fish, will work my butt off, don't get seasick, and can go on short notice. I have limited experience in the big water as 1) our boat is not great out there, and 2) my hubby gets really sick really easily. I'm a quick study, and I have deep respect for the ocean and those who fish it.

I have some gear and will pay my share. I just want to get out there, and would appreciate someone showing my green self how it's done.
julezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #116
Fish Killer
Chromer

I am looking/hoping for an open seat this Saturday or Sunday August 4th or 5th.

Preferably out of Garibaldi or the Columbia just because I will have a place to stay the night before.

I have plenty of ocean experience, but have never fished for Tuna and I still go to bed every night thinking about tuna.

I am more than happy to help with expences/work/whatever else and always show up early.

I can be reached at (541) 914-1221.

Thanks,

Ross

Last edited by Fish Killer; 08-01-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Fish Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #117
mitch
Steelhead

Hi,

I have friend out from NH who would love to hit some tuna. He managed to pull a deal where he do temporary duty at McChord AFB for a week as part of yearly training in order to come visit and have the weekends to fish. I did have a tuna run lined up for us but the fella had to cancel for family reasons. If at all possible I would love to pay someones gas bill and help crew the boat Aug 4-5 weekend. We both have fished and boated for over 30 years and are more than happy to help in any way possible. I feel pretty bad since I talked up the tuna experience and now he came all this way only to have the trip fall through. Neither one of us drinks on a boat but do not mind if one or two is had during the day. I have no problem with references. If there is anything I can do to make a trip happen please feel free to PM me or call at 206-218-6785 with any questions or pointers.

My warmest regards,

-Mitch-
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:25 AM   #118
n.w.transplant
Steelhead

Hey there all Dogs!

I'm gonna be @ I fish stock on the 25th, I'm hoping to some salt duty on the 26 and maybe a little on the morning of the 25, Momma and the boyz are out of town that weekend I be roughing it in my car and tent.

Would do just about anything ( within legal limits ) to crew for sombody and maybe go slay some of the " Brines finest Beasties"

I've gone out with several other Dogs and also attended my first TA meeting awhile back in portland.

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #119
FishFood
Chromer

I will be in Newport next week 8/20-8/25 and if someone has an open seat would be grateful to come along. I have many years of experience fishing including tuna (mostly from SoCal/Mexico), have plenty of equipment (but don't need to bring it if you want to limit your gear load), and would of course pay for gas, ice, and any other supplies.

Thanks,
Steve
FishFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #120
Early&Often
Steelhead

Last edited by Early&Often; 08-29-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Early&Often is offline   Reply With Quote