Sea Duty thread <<>> Riders - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Han Solo
King Salmon

Default Sea Duty thread <<>> Riders

A perennial here on our board but not yet this year.

Need a ride for the white gold? Or the Silver bullet?

Post here and know that certain descriptions of inexperienced fishers are unprintable. Use your imagination and come up with new ways to describe your inexperience and desire to go fishing. Or describe your desire to use your experience to make a boat work in exchange for a ride.

This is one of the cornerstones of the Salty Dogs board. Not everyone has an offshore boat. Those fishers need rides. Not everyone has all the crew they need to run a boat. Those drivers need crew.

Get your experience .. go for a ride. Volunteer for sea duty here.

Last edited by Han Solo; 05-02-2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: because
Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Triple C
Chromer

Default Re: Sea Duty thread

The Triple C will be taking on new and used seamen through out the
season. Please watch for open seat posts.
Triple C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
As yet un-named
Steelhead

John and Roger,
Met you both a couple of years ago at a TA mtg. at the lucky lab. Drove up from KFalls for it if you remember. Well, OK, I got my employer to send me to a training session in portland that week, but the TA mtg. definately played into the session I signed up for. Anyway, haven't had a chance to hook up with either of you yet and still want to. I did get a chance to go out with Ron M last year and had a good time. He's got a very fishy boat, and was a good skipper. I imagine he'd give me a good refference. Anyway, keep me in mind. It's about a 6hr drive to Newport so I need an according amount of notice to get there the night before. Now for the desire / experience part...

Very experienced around boats and fishing in general, have a boat of my own. Have some gear, but I doubt any of it is tuna or halibut worthy. Maybe halibut, definately not tuna. My other hobby is blacksmithing, so there's always a steak turner or beer opener gift involved for the skipper. Oh, and I can't eat canned tuna anymore. Last fall, a friend of a friend had some fresh albacore he caught with Kujo, that we had grilled. The desire??? I'll bring the Wasabi and soy... As for the fishing desire. How the heck do you describe that? After reading this board for the last however long it's been, it kills me that I haven't been out to catch either a tuna or a halibut. I have dreams and nightmares about it. I need a fix and I'm not even "addicted" yet. That's bad isn't it... Well, sorry for the long windedness.
As yet un-named is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Sadie-Lynne
Steelhead

I have taken most of July off to get out and chase some bullets. I will be both looking for some open seats and will be offering open seats. Hoping to have a great season and looking foreward to hooking up with some of you that I have fished with and also meeting some more newbies.
Sadie-Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Full Tilt

In Socal, we refer to "Sea Duty" riders as Boat Ho's
Full Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
flapbreaker
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full tilt View Post
In Socal, we refer to "Sea Duty" riders as Boat Ho's
Yes but you'll lose your job if you use it here.
flapbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
Han Solo
King Salmon

Yeah .. that's one of the forbidden terms ... sorry.

Ask Imus, He'll tell you all about it.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
BaitStop
Steelhead

I guess these Sea Duty "riders" are different than the "deadheads" that occasionally ride the SoCal sportboats. It was always fun to deadhead on a different boat than you worked on to see different deck crews in operation & fish in a different fishery ie: kelp beds vs. the Coronados or a tuna trip. Deadheads were also very helpful in a hot bite and there were snarled lines & passengers that needed a re-rig.
BaitStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Chromaflage
King Salmon

So, would "Boat Imus" get the point across?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
Headhunter
King Salmon

Reporting for Sea-Duty aya-aye sir! Would like to catch a ride for the hali opener if possible?

Have a strong work ethic, respect for the sea, positive attitude, gas/ice/bait/travel money and willing to take orders. Went out last year for hali...want to get out 5+ times this year for hali & TUNA. Always enjoy the TA meetings.

Have handheld VHF, GPS too!

Jim

Last edited by Headhunter; 04-19-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #12
fishbait
King Salmon

Set a goal to catch a few more Halibut and also some Tuna on live bait/ plastics/ metal this year. Done the troll and handlines, need the adrenelan leg shake thingie.

Been saving my coins to gear up and have a couple of Newell 229 and working on a Seeker 270 and 870.

Have hand held back up electronics and know how to use them.

Many many trips for "those other fish" in the salt over the last 20 years.

Can scrub a deck with the best of them, know how to take orders, keep out of the way when necessary and not a bad hand to have around when things get tough or broke.

Own a couple of "non salt" boats and understand the true cost of boat ownership and always try to pay a little more than my share.

Show up 15 min early 98 % of the time, never late.

Willing to trade a few trips also.

Can fish weekdays with notice and work load allowing.
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

Don't be an "Imus" . It seems to roll off the tongue pretty good.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
Big Game Fishing

Have gas, bait, ice, and expense money, and will travel!

My experience is limited to one tuna trip and one halibut trip last year, but the pictures prove I didn't ruin the vessels fish catching mojo. Thanks Netscape and Catch and Eat for the seats.

I don't get seasick, can bring my own PFD, GPS, OR boaters card, and VHF. I have started collecting saltier rods and reels and plan on making some TA meetings to learn more. I've fished my boat nearshore for salmon for a few years, and am now looking forward to spending more time further offshore.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
Two Fister
Sturgeon

I'm going to make this short and sweet, which you may have noticed is hard for me...

Skein,
I've got a 10 weight and 12 weight and a big box of saltwater flies. I can tie a bimini twist. I can swab decks, tie a bowlin/sheepshank/clove hitch with my eyes closed and spike fish Ragnar style. Ready and willing to learn the fine art of carking. Have gear that used to get covered in salmon blood that is starting to look/smell clean. Willing to donate money, time, good Irish Whiskey, and better cigars to the cause.
TF
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #16
Nordic Sun
Ifish Nate

SKYBUSTER

It looks like you might have taken gaffing lessons from Tracker! That butt with the hole in the middle looks like a Tracker Job to me!

Bob

There is no bad weather, just bad clothes
Nordic Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #17
Big Game Fishing

Actually that was a harpoon.

I have yet to gaff or harpoon fish. I'm pretty good with a net, but from what I'm learning, most offshore guys don't use nets. I'll have to figure out gaffs and harpoons.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
Threemuch
King Salmon

This is definitely a staple of the salty dog culture. At least it has been for me. Good crew is always in demand and sometimes hard to find.

I have been on the OPB (that is Other People's Boats) plan for some 5 years now since I threw a rod through the side of the block of my OMC Sea Drive on my 22' Olympic.

I have been saltwater fishing for about 15 years, all on the west coast of the US, the last 6 seasons here in Oregon. I will fish any species, any harbor and have gear for just about anything. I have a few people I go fishing with regularly, and usually don't have a problem finding a ride. But I am always looking for new salty friends to wet a line with and learn from. I used to be pretty gung-ho, but I think I am mellowing with age. The adventure comes first, fish in the box is a distant second.

I definitely have a firm understanding of the costs of operating a boat in the salt.

Volunteering for duty, sir.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #19
Nordic Sun
Ifish Nate

Default Re: ODIN Invitation

OK here is an ODIN Invitation:

I am compiling a short notice list!
ODIN is a 26' Hewscraft with Twin Honda 130's
ICOM 504 VHF, Garmin 2010C ChartPlotter/ Sonar
Furuno Radar
Satellite Phone
Coast Guard Safety Inspected
The Boat is Moored in Ilwaco Wa.

The Captain is a 60 year old cigar smokin' Gentelman.
(References upon request)

The First Mate (Smoked Salmon) is a 39 year old, high speed miracle worker. HE RUNS THE DECK!!!

Preference for repeat trips is given to guests who show a willingness to help with expenses, (the cost of fuel,bait,Ice)

Number of fish caught divided by the number of fishermen = your share of fish.

Work that needs to be done divided by the number of people on the boat = you share of the work.

Drink when you get back to the dock, not on board.

PM Me with the necessary information.
Name, address, phone #'s, and Days you can't fish.

If you fish with us, you will be emailed a float plan to be left with your contact person. When we return you will be responsible for calling your contact person and cancelling the float plan.

We have fun SAFELY!

There is no bad weather, just bad clothes

Last edited by Nordic Sun; 04-19-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Nordic Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #20
Mr. Fisherman
King Salmon

Limited opportunities on the Sea Lion.
I have been slowly making it through my long list but am always willing to add to it.
I have a few regular crew and have been fortunate to put some meat in the boat.

I'll be perusing this thread and taking names at TA meetings.

See you out there...
Old 04-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #21
tracker
King Salmon

Want to be famous? Ok, you want to be infamous? Can you smile for the camera? Open seats are fun to give out! I think I will have a few this year! The thing I will tell you is when the time is getting near, make sure you watch the forum closely! The seats fill fast. Minutes can make the difference! Be one time! Have fun!

Odin at first I thought the same as you about that halibut, but then I noticed the head was not smashed by the Mallet!
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #22
Taylor's viewpoint
Tuna!

I am older than Bob and I don't smoke cigars or any other contaminated stuff. The boat is a 29' Striper with twin 250's, Radar, VHF, Chartplotter and fish finder. I just got hired for a part time job as deckhand for a charter out of Garibaldi so my fishing this summer will be a little different from past years. I still like to chase Halibut, Salmon and Tuna.
All the standard disclamers apply.
Crew members will be needed at various times through out the summer. I generally post open seats when I need a crew.
TV

TUNA captain, Oregon Tuna Classic 2006, 2007 2008, 2009 and 2010. Team sponsored by Sterling Savings Bank. "Time Out" in Little Italy.
Taylor's viewpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
pnwcoast
Tuna!

I crewed with Headhunter last year.......... He's good co-crew in my book.

I will be looking to fill open seats again this year. Hope to diversify skippers in 2007 and gain even more knowledge of our beloved Pacific ocean and her weather conditions. I've been blessed with crewing for some great skippers and co-crews in the last few years. I want to continue my sea experience "curve" and keep on learning.
pnwcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #24
Full Tilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaitStop View Post
I guess these Sea Duty "riders" are different than the "deadheads" that occasionally ride the SoCal sportboats. It was always fun to deadhead on a different boat than you worked on to see different deck crews in operation & fish in a different fishery ie: kelp beds vs. the Coronados or a tuna trip. Deadheads were also very helpful in a hot bite and there were snarled lines & passengers that needed a re-rig.

Deadheads are pretty much a thing of the past down here. One boat, the Daily Double, was notorious for bringing deadheads along to help "bump" the numbers up for the daily fish reports and get people excited to fish and on the boat. My experience with Deadheads was pretty negative...lots of JP cheating in my day. I'm just glad those days are gone......
Full Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #25
Jsail
Tuna!

Sign me up!
I've been at this awhile and always enjoy the adventure and fish.
I have gear, experience and willing to share costs.
I'd be happy to clean the boat or fish or both.
References available
Old 04-20-2007, 04:30 AM   #26
BaitStop
Steelhead

That jackpot cheating thing was/is bad news. All the skippers that ever let me deadhead never allowed deadheads in the jackpot since they had no $ in the trip. As I stated we were expected to help out & clean the boat on the way home. Funny the DD was the boat long ago with the problem & also 1 of the MB 1/2 day boats. Seems the 1/2 day boats were the problem. I can see the deadheads being a thing of the past with an albie trip now going for $160-180/day & most boats running limited loads for tuna. How's Clairemont? I used to rent a house 2 blks from the post office.
BaitStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #27
Coastalfisherman
Ifish Nate

I will throw my name on the list. I have crewed with a few of the dogs. I always pay my share of gas, bait, food ice etc. I have gear and GPS numbers that I can add into the trip. Easy to get along with and I have references.
Coastalfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #28
Tinman

The dory "Evenstar" will be posting a few open seats for halibut and tuna. Being a dory (21 Pacific City type), we tend to cruise pretty slow, but the flat bottom makes for a very stable fishing platform. We launch from Garibaldi or off the beach at Pacific City. All hands must wear PFDs at all times, and no alcohol on board.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #29
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

I too will be offering up open seats on my Dory out of Depoe Bay for Halibut and TUNA maybe salmon if someone really wants to go
And bottom fishing / crabbing trips

If you want a seat let me know when and I will put you on the calendar

Here is the Good Ship MEMORIES

I will post the pic later when AOL decides to let me load it

Finally !!! Here is the Picture of MEMORIES
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG
Views:	1583
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2762  

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

Last edited by fyshndad; 04-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.
fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #30
dixiefisher
Tuna!

Ok..Here is my attempt

I have yet to go farther than the CR bouy here in Oregon....I grew up fishing in the gulf (Alabama, La.), and when I moved to North Carolina, I got addicted to king and Durado fishing in the Atlantic....I love catching fish of all types, and I would love to hold up a tuna or Hali for a picture ( to tack to my "wall of adventure" at work)......

As far as $$ for bait,gas, etc. - this goes without saying, most all of us are happy to chip in there.

As far as deck hand experience - nada....

As far as helping clean after a trip - I get laughed at...when I'm at home cleaning my boat after a trip, using a tooth brush to get the grim from out of the floor!....

I would love to take my Arima out during Salmon season to the ocean this year, so any experience going over the bar is a learning experience for me.

I don't drink ( anymore ).....other than my usual 2 pots of coffee on a trip!

Even If I can't score an open seat this year, I would love to at least be on someone's list for a buddy boat!....If I do this, I will probably be stopping at the CR....so, the buddy would only have to see me over the bar!

I am always eager to learn new things, and I listen pretty well...so, having me as a crew member is pretty painless. I do as I am instructed...:smile: ( just ask my wife).

Most importantly, everytime I go fishing....I still feel as though I am 8 years old...heading out the back door, pole in hand...and beaming from ear to ear. Fishing is always the experience and not the carcass count for me!

Thanks!!

Paul
Old 04-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #31
ron m
King Salmon

As usual I'll be posting open seats this year for trips on Silverfish. bottomfishing, crabbing, salmon, halibut, and tuna. I go when the weather is good, tend to stay out way toooooo long, go for the experience but also want to catch some fish. Sometimes, probably usually, the seats are on fairly short notice, one to three days, occasionally longer. One of the biggest advantages of being retired is being able to go just about whenever I feel like it and that's whenver the weather will let me.

I find posting open seats to be a lot less trouble than contacting folks to see if they can go. Yes, I contact some occasionally, usually those that go with me frequently, but usually it's posting open seats. I like taking folks, even folks that don't go often or have little experience, haven't taken anyone yet that I'd never take again. One of my friends and frequent fishing buddies tells me that I'm very tolerant, something that I've not been told often! If you haven't posted open seats and taken "new" (to you at least) folks fishing, I highly recommend it. I've met lots of nice folks and made new friends by posting open seats and taking fellow salty dogs fishing.

watching and hoping the ocean lays down soon
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #32
wanafish
Tuna!

Would like the chance to crew for an experienced skipper. I've fished out of Depoe for years but never had the proper boat to chase the long distance critters. In the process of buying and outfitting a 21' Seahawk but I think it would be a good idea to crew and learn the ropes before venturing out on my own. I own a business in Corvallis and can usually get away on a days notice. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 AM   #33
TubeFly
Steelhead

Hi I'm Ryon and I have a problem, I love to fish.

I am three years from my off-shore boat financially and I am looking to learn a thing or two from the vast amount of experience here. I have a ton of off shore experience with operating a vessel for a local dive shop for many years and Divemastering off shore. I have a lot of respect for the ocean and other around me. I am handy with my hands and can work my butt off as well as take direction from those more knowledgable. I have plenty of experience Halibut fishing in Alaska but have not been way out off shore like members here travel and wold love to get my first opportunity to hunt Tuna this summer...............

Will pay my share and more as I have never been afraid to pay for an education, just ask the guys I used to play poker with. I also have a flexible schedule working two days on and two days off usually.

Ryon
TubeFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #34
SecondSeason
Tuna!

This is what i love about the SD page. So many folks that have blown more than a few bucks to buy a boat and spend all the money it takes to keep it running in a safely. Posting open seats and sharing there love by offering space on board their craft in exchange for just daily opperating cost. I wish I would have seen this page before I bought my boat it would have saved me tons of money.

Last season I thougth I would try out the SD page when I had seats open. I filled some seats late last summer and had many positive results so I will be putting a quick list as well. I like to call it A-team and B-team list on my cell phone.

Here are my stats:
24' SeaSport Explorer "Second Season"
Boat moored in Ilwaco, Washington which is closer to Boey 10 than Astoria/warrington/hammond = less gas for travel more for fishing
120 gallons of burning, burning love worst day last year was about 49 gallons in exchange for 28 tuna or $2.80cents per tuna
Coverd Cabin for the long haul out and back [comfortable and DRY]
all CG required saftey equipment, plus GPS/epirb, raft, DSC radio, Floscan fuel management instrument/chart plotter/15 mile radar/ 9.9HP kicker.

Experienced in the salt, open to change[tuna/halibut/shark] as long as it means fun for all on board.

Looking for experience and inexperienced crew members that are open to learning, teaching, bringing things to the table and cover cost of gas/ice. Also open to ****** Girls that lurk on this board. I know other boats might not accecpt you on board. This boat is a EEOB craft.

Trips on the Second Season will start when the tuners are caught by more boats than ODIN and Tracker [these guys can catch tuna in Illwaco harbor] and the sea surface temps fall into place.

Look forward to a great season on Big Blue

Treb
SecondSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #35
tracker
King Salmon

Acutally I dont like catching tuna in the harbor at Illwaco. I prefer the crew to just hand the tuna to me in the parking lot instead of throwing them!
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #36
Meanwhile
Ifish Nate

Volunteering for any crew open seats. I've fished for halibut but have yet to catch a tuna. I'm willing to share costs and bring my hand held backups (VHF, GPS and PLB). I am constrained to three day weekends of Sat. Sun. and Monday for fishing. Living in Scappoose I can get to Astoria on short notice.

After a few more trips, I'll be venturing out for near shore in my 22' Seahawk.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #37
fnf-nick
Steelhead

Hi I am Nick I have only been out in the salt once for bottomfish out of depoe bay am willing to share cost and doing any work I can for trade for a seat, I have good work ethic and have expierience on brakes and suspension work for trucks and trailers both pm me if you need something or have any more questions I have every Sunday off and one other day during the week. I have been wanting to fight a tuna for a while now just have not had the chance yet, halibut is also one of the fish I have not ever caught and cannot waitfor that chance. I learn quick and usually only have to be told once
Old 04-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #38
Cloud-Nine
Steelhead

OK here goes.
I have gotten rid of my ocean boat as I cannot handle the Physical work anymore.
Soooo I need a ride to the salt.
My problem--------- I am 77 years old and cannot handle a tough long day on the ocean and be on my feet for long periods of time. My legs and stamina give out on me under those circumstances.
What I DO have to offer is I am self contained. I have all my own gear and extra if needed, my own ditch bag with PLB, an RV so I can be where I need to be without any rides or baby sitting and I will contribute MORE than my share of $.
When you are young you trade time for money; when you get older you trade money for time.
It works out good for me on the longer trips if a cabin is available to get some rest on the way back.
I and also clean and filet fish but not much help on boat cleanup( legs again).
Keep me in mind if I fit your needs.
Dick North
[email protected]
PS--- I really like Salmon and inshore Halibut along with ocean crabbing (I have the traps) and bottom fishing

Last edited by Cloud-Nine; 04-25-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Cloud-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #39
bajadan2000
Ifish Nate

Dick (cloud nine), you always have a seat on my boat, unless I am too old for you.

I am negotiating renting a cabin in Depoe Bay for the summer and leaving my boat there ready to go. It is not as nice as your old place in Newport, it is a fishing cabin. Keep in touch..
Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #40
Big TULE
Ifish Nate

Request permission to come aboard...

Been after the bullets 1 time with PILAR. I provide the usualls, i clean up after myself, and sometimes others....
I didn't get to go out on the big blue last year because of work.... This year will be different.
I need a ride.

United we stand... Divided we beg...
Big TULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #41
GoneCoastal
Steelhead

My turn, I have an 06 hewescraft, it is a 20ft Sea Runner E/T, 115 honda, VHF, lowrance 337DF, hand held VHF and gps, ocean PFDs, flares and a fire extingusher. I have 110 hrs on it and I have crossed the bars at newport and sieuslaw a few times just to check it out. I have enough rods/reels for bottom fishing and butts and a few crab pots. I plan on fishing inside 40 but may venture out to the ranch if I hook up with the right people and other boats are going. maybe later in the year I will do some salmon on the ocean but not set up with down riggers or kicker yet.
I been fishing/surfing/diving the Channel Islands since I was a kid on my fathers and friends boats and have been in some pretty bad weather ( face of rollers so big that... well, don't get me to lying but it always amazed me that water could get that steep without falling on itself )
I would be most appriciative of a salty dog to come out with me and my son for halibut and lings next week out of newport ( weather permitting) your experiance will be payment enough, no boat wash or cash nessasary, just no alcohol or smoking. also if anyone would want to take me on their boat I'll pitch in for gas etc... or swap rides... PM me jim
Old 04-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #42
CGRFish
Tuna!

Smile Re: Sea Duty thread

Hello, I'd like to throw my hat into the pot for sea duty! My name is Mark, and live 1.5 hours from newport. I am self employed, and normally have a pretty flexible schedule with a little advance notice.

About ten years ago I decided to buy a farm, and I have cows, bass and trout fishing, and deer hunting without leaving the place, but long for the ocean... My current boat is great in the lakes or bay, but not large enough for me to be comfortable crossing the bar.

Regarding experience, in the early 80's my dad had a boat moored in newport, and we were out frequently during the summer. Back then I took a coast guard auxillary course, and have a current oregon boat operators licence. I can plot a loran course in the ugliest fog newport sees, not that anyone uses loran's any more. I have done quite a bit of bottom and salmon fishing, but it's been too many years ago. I have been a guest on many boats, and know how to use a scrubbrush after the trip.

I do have a handheld GPS, poles adequate for salmon, and access to borrow heavier gear if necessary. My parents still live 1 mile from south beach marina, so newport is certainly my preference.

I'd greatly appreciate the opportunity to join in and help out on a trip!

Thanks in advance

Mark
Old 04-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #43
wthr4d
Sturgeon

I fixed my signature to be more PC for Ifish so now I can post here!

I have crewed around Ifish for a few years and fished with a good handful of captains, I have even fished with a few more than once! I work hard do what Im told and sometimes even before Im asked. I contribute gear, effort and $$ to the cause and good will of the captain and other crew. I like safe boats and sober captains (at least until noon) and LOVE any chance to get out. I fished the OTC last year....well I was on a team, but in truth family emergency put my off the boat the one day they fished...I I showed for all three of the other days(make-up day included).

"Show early, work hard, stay late and contribute generously" were the words I was given and try to live by when I asked how to get rides.

Lastly, my schedule is a rotating shift so I am available every day of the week, just not all in one month Im on the salty dog contact list if you want to get ahold of me.

Paul

TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!
wthr4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #44
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

I like to run a dry boat, if you have a drinking problem, dont ask for a seat If I find you at sea on my boat and you have illegal drugs, dont expect a ride back to port, you and your drugs can immediately go for a swim I will radio the USCG and tell them where I left you. I will expect my lifejacket returned promptly when, and if, you get to shore.

I occasionally post open seats. Experience has taught me to not expect much when I do they usually lead to busted rods, busted reels, lost tackle or misc boat pieces broken off

This winter I have made several modifications and I think I have most eveything on the boat "open seat proof" at the moment, minus rod tips and those things I cant do much about.

I think I have only ever had one person come help wash the boat the next day, I dont ask for help, and dont expect it. But, if somebody wanted to help, I would keep notes

I cant lauch the boat for less than $300 for a tuna trip, about half that for a halibut trip. The math is simple to figure a share, if you cant do the math I will be helping with the math in the future. I wont be driving my commuter car to the beach getting 30 + MPG, I will be pulling 7000 pounds behind my truck sucking down dinosaurs like no tomorrow. Whether you ride with me or not, it cost plenty to get the boat to the beach and back.

I am pretty safety concious, but dont tuck tail and run for port at the sign of the first sheep. I dont sleep on the boat when on the water, and dont think the crew should either. There are a lot of things to keep an eye on out there to be safe, if your sleeping your not doing your share If I can stay awake, you should be able to also

I dont enjoy breathing smoke, if you are trying to slowly kill yourself with tobacco, limit it to the downwind corner of the boat. There is no reason to bring a cigar onboard.

If you are late, you will be left behind. I dont wait for anybody past dock time. If you wanted to fish, you would have done what needed done to get there in time. if you want you can walk the dock looking for me if your late, but I will be gone.

If you think you can stand spending the day with a grumpy captain I can only promise you a long day on the water I'm usually the first to leave port, and I like being the last back. I want to maximize my time on the water, I dont get to fish as much as I like, and when I get there I plan to spend the day, and part of the night if I have to. If you need to get back to dock to shop with your significant other by a certain hour, your riding the wrong boat.

Now, lets play ball!!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #45
thresher
Tuna!

About me:
Hmmm... Salt Sounds fun. What to say about myself??? Ok lets give this whole thing a shot. Im 21 years old, and would consider myself knowlagable in everything water safety related and very safety minded. Never been fishing in the ocean. And never even tasted fresh tuna. I can help with expences and will be so eager to help you will probly have to chase me away when finished because i will stay to find other ways to help repay you and kindness. I am always a good passanger, and dont drink while on board anybodys boat. Please dont do the same. Because i am a full time student and also work 40 hours a week to pay the bills. My schedule can sometimes be quite limited when it comes go getting out. But with some notice anything is possible.

Im fully trained in first aid and cpr should things go bad. As well as a lifeguard with some minor training in ocean rescue.

Now about you:
The thred know your captin comes to mind in this case. So if you do happen to offer up a seat to said self. Please have experience and proof to back it up. I could care less about your fish catching abilitys and more about your experience on the water. As im trusting you with my life and well. I only have one of those.

FISH ON!
thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #46
Capt Bob
Steelhead

Great post BOE. I feel much the same way. I will be looking to fill a TUNA seat from time to time. Helping with fuel, ice and bait is understood but the guy who will go the extra mile and help with clean up will get the first call next time.

Now for a little warm water.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #47
nehalemguy
King Salmon

Ok, here goes. First the basics.

Fuel/bait/ice or just plain CA$H …..no problem.
Non smoking/chewing/drugs
Garibaldi or Warrenton/Ilwaco are both about equal from my house.
Work schedule…..Couple days notice if possible. Weekdays OK. I will be in Alaska until July 10th.

Now here’s the rest. I have a masters license. Inland. What I am looking for is a boat that is Loran and radar equipped and a captain that is willing to show me practical use of both. It’s great to read about them in a book but I have a feeling that using them is a whole different can of tuna. I am more than willing to deckhand even if that means I don’t fish. I just like being along and see fish go into the box.

Thanks,

Eric
7mm-08 Fanboy Club member #5.

Last edited by nehalemguy; 04-29-2007 at 06:47 PM.
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #48
Something Good
Sturgeon

Nehalemguy you'll be hard pressed to find someone with a Loran on their boat anymore. Does the system even still work?

Lot's of tough choices. I'll definately be looking at this thread when I have open seats. Looks like we have a lot of good candidates. I have really enjoyed meeting people through open seats and will continue to offer them. Unfortunately the more people I meet through offering open seats the more regulars I have which means less open seats.

Stay Tuned. Halibut season starts in 2 weeks , unless you're a CR guy in which case it's over in 2 weeks.

"If you see a good fight get in it" Reverand Vernon Johns
Something Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #49
Maverick Maxcat
Ifish Nate

"If I find you at sea on my boat and you have illegal drugs, dont expect a ride back to port, you and your drugs can immediately go for a swim I will radio the USCG and tell them where I left you. I will expect my lifejacket returned promptly when, and if, you get to shore."

Roy, I can't believe you would loan them a lifejacket! My dockside safety speech always emphasizes am immediate swim if drugs are found, anchor optional.

Now for the good stuff. I run a 32' Maxcat as Maverick Charters. I hold a 50 ton near coastal Master's Licence, and the boat has CG required equipment and more. Over 40 years on the salt, more than 20 as a skipper. The Maxcat is one of the fastest, smoothest riding, and stable boats in existence, lots of fishing room, large cabin, electric head, etc. Alcohol is allowed in moderation, smoking outside and downwind

I want to try a bunch of different stuff on tuna this year. Different kinds of trolling, casting, jigging, live bait(if I can get it...), etc. I will be offering seats for these "research days" at my cost. This is not a charter offer! I will be fishing too, and will expect boat cleaning/carking help at the end of the day.

I posted open seats for years before I got the license, never had a bad crewman. I think that speaks to the quality of people on ifish! They never ripped pieces off the boat either, Roy, are you sure you want to go offshore if it's that fragile?
Maverick Maxcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #50
fishindude
Chromer

FISHINDUDE

OBJECTIVE To obtain an open seat on a fish slaying vessel where my experience and knowledge can best be used by the captain of the vessel to obtain bounty of TUNA.

EXPERIENCE One season of TUNA open seat jumping. I am fully certified in gaffing, carking, deck cleanup, and general deck duties. Hand line and outrigger experienced.

Captain and owner of 20 foot cuddy with extensive salmon and halibut fishing experience

QUALIFICATIONS iI have fishing rods and reels needed to fulfill the duties of trolling, casting, live bait fishing, bait obtaining and fish storage.

I have the financial capability to provide an eyepopping amount of gas, ice, gear to satisify the needs of the vessel captain to insure future invites.
equipment includes but not limited to avet exw pro 4/02 with rod, assorted swimbaits and lead heads. Shimano casting reels and rods.

references upon request.

Last edited by fishindude; 04-30-2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: add to post
fishindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #51
Tinman

As I read this thread, it occurs to me that we might be missing the idea of hospitality. I'm not looking for crew to outdo themselves in donating more than their share of expenses, or to do all the carking and grunt work. Crew are neither slaves nor boat 'hos. Anybody on my boat is considered a guest. A working (and paying their share) guest for sure, but more a guest than a boat 'ho. At its best, it is a relationship of mutual respect, mutual enjoyment, and mutual service to one another.

Last edited by Tinman; 04-30-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #52
HiTekRdNek
Ifish Nate

Being a new Captain I will also be looking to fill seats this season.
I will we posting those opportunities here. Most of the time it will be on short notice.
With not allot of experience I do have others that go with me with more experience. and I do listen and learn.
"The Dance Floor" has passed it's Coastguard Safety Inspection for this year, with flying colors (Thanks Boat02). On board is 100% of required equipment and 90% plus on the recommended.The rest will be gotten next week or brought by crew.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #53
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

UPDATE

Memories now has more safety gear
I now have Solas flares
GPS Chart plotter
VHF
Depth sounder
2 back up GPS'
Handheld VHF
6 extra regular flares
2 first aid kits
Flash light
fresh batteries for back up electronics with lots of extras
2 new main 12 volt batteries
Back up bilge pump
Life jackets
Throw rope in a bag
Glow sticks

I think I need a bigger boat to haul all this stuff

So who wants to go FISHING??????

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #54
Myles
Tuna!

Put me on the short notice list. I'm not working right now and have the time.
Have salt experience, gear, gas money, and occasionally I'm good at chumming but I don't comlain. I still have three crab pots we can put out but will need a bit more notice to get them rigged, I haven't used them since I sold my boat.
Can back a trailer and help with the boat. I have hand lines and tuna jigs, halibut gear.
Myles

Last edited by Myles; 05-01-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #55
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Hat in the ring.

Got gas money, learning more everyday, have a very flexible work schedule and Fridays are always days off (well usually ). Plenty of vacation time banked up, some rods built, others in production.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #56
Moldy45
Ifish Nate

I am hoping to take some riders this season,once I get all the when are you gunna take me fishing guys from work out I plan on posting open seats

Team (WE-FISH)

Team "SEA-NILE"
Moldy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #57
fishboys
King Salmon

Default Re: Sea Duty thread <<>> Riders

My name is Troy. I have seen the other side a few times. I can bleed and gut TUNA but not good at carking{sorry} I have some gear and I try to pay a little more then my share. I can get most any day off during the months of july and aug. If you need to know more pm me, thanks
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #58
Han Solo
King Salmon

I'll be calling you fishboys.

Fishindude ... why do I hear Dan Akroyd in his best 'Dragnet' voice reading your resume?

Last edited by Han Solo; 05-02-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #59
Smily
Ifish Nate

Ohh, I want to go. Pick me, I promise to swab the deck, clean the bildge, and oh ya, clear them barnicles from thy crusty hull...Arrrggghhhhhh

Pitch in with All the usuals, such as expenses, clean-up, bait-ice, grub etc...

Have a pleasant day.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:59 AM   #60
Han Solo
King Salmon

Start out by getting to know some of the 'drivers'. I use PM's mostly but phone works too.