Intrusion Alarms on smaller boats - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
LGB
Tuna!

Default Intrusion Alarms on smaller boats

A recent posting about thefts of equipment from boats at Crescent Lake sparked a question. How many people use alarms on their boats to prevent thefts and what kind are they using?

I have a small portable battery operated infrared detector alarm I use in my boat. (see second post below) I use it when I beach the boat over night and even when I have it on the trailer behind my RV. My tests show it seems to work but I have not had an actual attempted theft to test. It would also go off if an animal entered the boat. For example raccoons looking for food. There are some that will even send a "silent" message to your cell phone if you are close enough for the radio signal.

Last edited by LGB; 01-17-2020 at 10:57 AM.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Default Re: Intrusion Alarms on smaller boats

Harbor Freight Motion detector "driveway alert". I've used it in Long Beach at a rental house where I had to park my truck/trailer in a lot across the street.
team anarchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Rocky
Tuna!

I have a couple of purse alarms I rig up with fishing line. Not extremely loud but maybe enough to get someone's attention. At least it works if you hook it up to a truck door without someone knowing lol
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
Boss Hawg
Ifish Nate

I always keep my boat inside so this is the alarm I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3143A7D2-933E-4400-A238-C65B0BB7E6E4_1579231445716.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	737981  
Boss Hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
flatman
King Salmon

from 5 bucks to 50 you can rig up an alarm to hear it or to drive them away.

if you wont then dont come on here crying about how they stole all your equipment while you were sleeping. 50 others will say so sorry for your loss, but ill say i told you so.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:41 AM   #6
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
from 5 bucks to 50 you can rig up an alarm to hear it or to drive them away.

if you wont then dont come on here crying about how they stole all your equipment while you were sleeping. 50 others will say so sorry for your loss, but ill say i told you so.
Thus why we said don’t leave anything in your boat you don’t want missing when you park it on the beach overnight.,

I just stared putting my boat back on the trailer every night. I have to much stuff (8-10 rods/reels, 4-5 tackle bags, inflatable jackets, Fish finders, radios, coolers, lawn chairs, etc) to pack it up and put it back every morn/eve. Takes less time to launch/retrieve my boat. I also take it out to charge the trolling motor batteries.

I was looking at a nice boat alarm, it was $300 or so, I figure I’d like to save it for a new fish finder instead.

Crescent is bad, Wickiup is worse. I fish alone, and people have come up to me at Wickiup while putting the boat away to leave that I don’t think would give a second thought to burying me in the woods for my truck/boat.
Fishsizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
LGB
Tuna!

Putting the boat back on the trailer every night is only a partial remedy. I have talked to people who have had things stolen from their boat on the trailer connected to their RV. Those lakes mentioned above are all located near some of the low income communities in the Cascades where there is plenty of low life. I have watched them "patrol" campgrounds looking for targets.

The one I have used is like this one, https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Moti...9286985&sr=8-4 . I place it on a storage box between the front seats facing the rear. There is a 30 second delay after turning it on so you can exit without triggering it and there is a 15 second delay before it sounds off when triggered so you can get back to turn it off. It is only about $20, less than a spool of quality fishing line and seems to work well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 10.50.12 AM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	738013  

Last edited by LGB; 01-17-2020 at 10:58 AM.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB View Post
Putting the boat back on the trailer every night is only a partial remedy. I have talked to people who have had things stolen from their boat on the trailer connected to their RV. Those lakes mentioned above are all located near some of the low income communities in the Cascades where there is plenty of low life. I have watched them "patrol" campgrounds looking for targets.

The one I have used is like this one, https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Moti...9286985&sr=8-4 . I place it on a storage box between the front seats facing the rear. There is a 30 second delay after turning it on so you can exit without triggering it and there is a 15 second delay before it sounds off when triggered so you can get back to turn it off. It is only about $20, less than a spool of quality fishing line and seems to work well.
Yeah it’s weird to see people go through the campgrounds, slow, and again and again. Just like porch pirates at home they try and figure out when you go out, when you’ll be back etc.

The Wickiup incident weirded me out for awhile. They just came right up to my boat. Eyeing everything, and non stop chatter. They had no Boat, no gear, nothing. Just cruising around in an old beat up truck in their wife beaters.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Best bet is Fishbox Monkey version 2.0. Version 1.0 worked real well from the trunk of cars, but expected treats to often to live in a fishbox. When illegal activity starts Fishbox Monkey leaps into action and reduces the perpetrator to the equivalent of a gibbering idiot or worse.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #10
10-7
Tuna!

BossHawg that is hilarious
10-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickFish View Post
Best bet is Fishbox Monkey version 2.0. Version 1.0 worked real well from the trunk of cars, but expected treats to often to live in a fishbox. When illegal activity starts Fishbox Monkey leaps into action and reduces the perpetrator to the equivalent of a gibbering idiot or worse.
Sounds like Trunk Monkey

https://youtu.be/8avOiTUcD4Y

Last edited by Fishsizzle; 01-17-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #12
akmewon
Steelhead

cordless baby monitor with motion alarm and microphone so you can yell thru it and scare the bejeesus out of whoevers in ur boat.. amazon has good selection
akmewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #13
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Thus why we said don’t leave anything in your boat you don’t want missing when you park it on the beach overnight.,

I just stared putting my boat back on the trailer every night. I have to much stuff (8-10 rods/reels, 4-5 tackle bags, inflatable jackets, Fish finders, radios, coolers, lawn chairs, etc) to pack it up and put it back every morn/eve. Takes less time to launch/retrieve my boat. I also take it out to charge the trolling motor batteries.

I was looking at a nice boat alarm, it was $300 or so, I figure I’d like to save it for a new fish finder instead.

Crescent is bad, Wickiup is worse. I fish alone, and people have come up to me at Wickiup while putting the boat away to leave that I don’t think would give a second thought to burying me in the woods for my truck/boat.

About 20-25 years ago somebody stole multiple kickers from boats pulled onshore at Gull Point campground at Wickiup one night. They went by boat, either with oars or electric motor. Lots of angry fishermen that next morning. Lots of great alarm ideas for not a lot of money.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
Jsb_truckfan
Fry

I am using this inside of a carry case that I just open and leave on the deck, and modified the power connection to a cigarette lighter plug in my boat.

Audible alerts, or silent alerts to Smart Remote. I purchased the add-on perimeter sensor to sense anyone getting close:

https://ridescorpio.com/srx900/
Jsb_truckfan is offline   Reply With Quote