2020 Hagg Lake Reports - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 05-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #61
Stew
Steelhead

Hit Hagg with the kids this morning. Lots of action but it slowed once the weather changed and the wind picked up. Stayed near the no wake line to avoid the crowded area near ramp a and the dam. Easy limits with this surprise. Fished here for over 25 years and this is the first one I've gotten.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200501_110603_1588385920404.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	744761  

Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #62
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Re: 2020 Hagg Lake Reports

Nice catch Stew. Better eating than the trout any day. I've got three over the years, two in one day. Have targeted them a couple of times with zero results. Always caught accidentally when searching for other stuff. Don't know why there aren't a lot of them in there? Two of the three I caught were yellow's.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #63
flynbryn
Steelhead

I fished at Hagg on Sunday with my parents. First trip up there this Spring. Had a fair amount of bites, but struggled to get them to stay on the hook most of the morning. Released a dozen or so 10 inchers and then found a pod of bigger fish (12 - 15inches).

Trolling back to the dock, while cleaning the boat, I looked up and my rod was absolutely pinned. I finished off a limit with this 21inch trout. Weighed in right at 4lbs after gutting it. My best Hagg Lake fish ever.

It took a homemade wedding ring that my daughter built, which in my eyes is the best part of the whole story.

A very fun end to the day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
flynbryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #64
flynbryn
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbryn View Post
I fished at Hagg on Sunday with my parents. First trip up there this Spring. Had a fair amount of bites, but struggled to get them to stay on the hook most of the morning. Released a dozen or so 10 inchers and then found a pod of bigger fish (12 - 15inches).

Trolling back to the dock, while cleaning the boat, I looked up and my rod was absolutely pinned. I finished off a limit with this 21inch trout. Weighed in right at 4lbs after gutting it. My best Hagg Lake fish ever.

It took a homemade wedding ring that my daughter built, which in my eyes is the best part of the whole story.

A very fun end to the day.

The trout cut amazing for dinner tonight. Surprisingly pink.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #65
Jeffery
Chromer

I don't have much experience trolling for trout, can I fish Hagg effectively without downriggers?
Old 05-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #66
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post
I don't have much experience trolling for trout, can I fish Hagg effectively without downriggers?
You don't need downriggers. I have lots of posts on here about fishing Hagg from my kayak. You can search for threads started by me on here or look at my youtube channel (pdxfisher1) if you want to see what I do.

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #67
adamg
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery View Post

Took my DB there this year twice, my first season going to hagg and wondered the same. Didn't have any trouble finding fish, needed an ounce to get down later in the morning. Saw a few boats futzing with their down riggers but not catching much. I assume this changes later in the summer , tho
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #68
Seth in Keizer
Steelhead

I used to fish Hagg a lot for a couple years and never used DR's just longer lay backs.
Kokanee gears works very well there.
Seth in Keizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #69
adamg
Steelhead

Started to fish Hagg the last month since most rivers are off limits. Had some good days, usually with at least one fat 16-18" in the mix of average stockers. Put a downrigger on my driftboat this week. Learned the hard way that 4 lb. mono is not the right line choice for trolling a maglip 2.0 at 15 feet in Hagg Lake. Hello Chinook-like pound down, bye bye plug. Wish I saw the fish
Old 05-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #70
danboon
Cutthroat

Quote:
The trout cut amazing for dinner tonight. Surprisingly pink.

Amazing color for a trout....beautiful!
danboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #71
SoylentGreen
Ifish Nate

I took my kid and my neighbor's kid out this past week. decent action in the morning near the dam. Hot rod was a home-made mini- triangle style flasher like for chinook but much smaller and a wiggle hootchie. guess I need to make some more of those.

The larger trout that looked like they had been in the lake for a while had very, very bright pink meat. the little fresh stockers were the "normal" pale pink trout color. I assume the bigger ones picked up some color chowing down in the lake for the winter (?). Great eating.
SoylentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #72
Daweez04
Chromer

Anyone have any updated reports?
Daweez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:28 PM   #73
SpaceAvenger
Cutthroat

I went out on Sunday. Got to the lake around 7:15am. It was cloudy and not many people around. I launched my kayak and started trolling toward the Sain Creek inlet. The lake was pretty low which is to be expected this time of year. The fish finder was pinging pods of fish with large gaps in between. After about an hour or so I decided to head toward the Scoggins inlet side. I figured I might as well hook up my GoPro so I put my rod in the rod holder so I could use both hands to get the camera hooked up and strapped to my head. No sooner did I get everything out and start connecting the cable when my rod bent over with a nice strike. Pulled it out of the holder and felt a pretty good fish on the hook. Reeled it in and pulled in a 16" football of a Rainbow. Of course, my camera wasn't ready to take a picture. I let it go and resumed getting my camera deployed. Turns out that was the only fish I got all day. I did have one good his and another smaller nibble but other than that it was pretty quite. At least I wasn't skunked though.
I didn't see anyone else catch anything. The water is still pretty warm (67 degrees) even after the rain that we had a couple days prior.
I'm planning on returning this coming weekend so hopefully the rain we get this week will cool the lake down a couple more degrees and the fish come up a few feet closer to the surface.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #74
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Nice report SA. Did that fish have the bumps from parasites, or was it clean?

PDXTL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PDX Tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #75
SpaceAvenger
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Tightlines View Post
Nice report SA. Did that fish have the bumps from parasites, or was it clean?

PDXTL

Thanks PDX.

It looked good to me. At least I didn't notice anything abnormal.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #76
SpaceAvenger
Cutthroat

I hit Hagg Lake again today. I got on the lake right at dawn. Tried to get my GoPro set up but realized I had forgotten the power cable. The camera was totally dead too. And wouldn't you know it. I reeled 2 trout in within 30 minutes of getting my line in the water. Both fish looked OK. No parasites or bumps. The second one was about 16" and put up a helluva fight. Took me longer then I like to get it to the net. I was able to get it back in the water and revived so all was well. I didn't get another bite for the rest of the day. Seems like the minute the sun hit the lake the fish decided to ghost me.
As I was loading my boat I talked to another fly fisherman and he was able to bring 2 in also. He said the second one he got was pretty big but had parasites on it. Not sure what the reasons for the bugs are this year. He used a technique I'll have try next time I'm on the Hagg.
The water temp was a little cooler than last week at about 64.75 degrees but still higher than trout prefer. This weeks expected temperatures won't help that at all. Looking forward to the cooler weather and rain.
Tight Lines y'all.

Last edited by SpaceAvenger; 09-27-2020 at 06:54 PM.
SpaceAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #77
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the report Space Avenger! Awesome that you are catching some quality fish. Hopefully the bite starts lasting longer!

Old 09-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #78
Pensacola
Tuna!

Each year about this time we get the first of several Fall plantings.

When????

The fires may delay the truck and no rain is in sight!

Have one of the "Scooper Planes" make a run by the hatchery and swap 'em some water for some fishies. Never hurts to ask!
Old 10-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #79
OregonSteel
Ifish Nate

Anyone know if hagg is going to be getting some fall plantings this year?
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #80
Pensacola
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonSteel View Post
Anyone know if hagg is going to be getting some fall plantings this year?
I hit it yesterday in very bright sun but beginning at daylight. Surface water temp is still high and I saw zero rollers nor any Ospreys working. I observed none of the other three boats make any landings. The electronics showed a significant number of larger fish in 50 fow, in the middle and between the Ramp A boat launch and the grassy point on the opposite shore. They were down about 30 feet. We had three rods out and two were on downriggers. In two hours we had four strikes, hooked two and landed a fat carryover,14" "Bow" that is tonites dinner. A small dodger and a WiggleHoochie in green got all the hits being run at 27 to 30 feet and 50 feet back with bait on the foreword hook.

I still know of no plantings having yet been made. Both ODFW and park personnel remain mute on the subject. When they go in the fish will probably come from Oak Springs so the trucks may be delayed by fire issues. Those larger, concentrated fish by Ramp A might have been a planting but the one I landed did NOT resemble a recently planted fish. To clue anglers in on what is available at Henry Hagg Lake, Washington Co, Parks has a site on FaceBook called Tackle Box Talks that is specific to this body of water. It's possible some information will be revealed by longtime denizens who've fished this lake successfully for years.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #81
watertight
Fry

Good report... thanks!
Today 10/09 I fished my usual bait fishing spot near ramp A and nothing. (inflated worms and powerbait)
Depth finder said the water was 67 degrees.
Overcast most of the morning. Nice day on the water. (also observed no ospreys)
Bunch of kayakers and inflated dingy boats at tamp C in the afternoon. One fellow had his inflatable gear spread out all over the dock forcing me to walk around all his stuff...Got me to thinking there should be a small craft fee (sticker) that would fund a separate launching area for these folks so they could leave the launch area for power boats who pay a yearly fee to license their boats.
watertight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #82
Denneroll
Chromer

Thanks for the reports.
Generally Ospreys migrate south from the PNW in August and September.

Denneroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #83
flynbryn
Steelhead

Spent a couple hours up at Hagg Lake with my 4 year old fisher kid on Sunday. Got up there around 11am and fished till 2ish.

Found a pod of fish between boat ramp A and the dam. Had a good bite for about an hour. I'm a strong believer in not leaving fish to find fish, so we trolled a 200 yard stretch for most of the time we were there. Had 8-10 bites and got 4 fish in the boat.

By about 1:00 the group of fish we found stopped biting and we couldn't find another group of biters before the 4 year olds attention span and the snacks ran out.

We ended up with 3 fish around 11 or 12 inches and one fat 16 incher. All fish were caught on a dodger and spinner setup tipped with a worm. Pink seemed to be the color that got bit most.

Water temp was about 64 degrees and it appears they stocked the lake recently.

Last edited by flynbryn; 10-19-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #84
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Spent a couple hours up at Hagg Lake with my 4 year old fisher kid on Sunday. Got up there around 11am and fished till 2ish.

Found a pod of fish between boat ramp A and the dam. Had a good bight for about an hour. I'm a strong believer in not leaving fish to find fish, so we trolled a 200 yard stretch for most of the time we were there. Had 8-10 bites and got 4 fish in the boat.

By about 1:00 the group of fish we found stopped biting and we couldn't find another group of biters before the 4 year olds attention span and the snacks ran out.

We ended up with 3 fish around 11 or 12 inches and one fat 16 incher. All fish were caught on a dodger and spinner setup tipped with a worm. Pink seemed to be the color that got bit most.

Water temp was about 64 degrees and it appears they stocked the lake recently.

Thanks for the report, THinking about heading there today!
Were you flatlining?
fishrepellor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #85
flynbryn
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrepellor View Post
Thanks for the report, THinking about heading there today!
Were you flatlining?
I had about 3/4 ounce of lead on. I think we were fishing 10 - 15 ft deep.

Last edited by flynbryn; 10-19-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #86
SpaceAvenger
Cutthroat

I was there on Sunday as well between 7:30am and 2:00pm. I landed 3 recently stocked trout and hooked but lost 3. Two of those 3 were pretty good size. In fact, one of those 2 broke my fly off. Granted, I didn't play that one very well. Should have given it more line. I was pinging a lot more fish on the FF and getting a lot more hits compared to the last time I was out there about 2 weeks ago. All in all, I had a pretty good time.

My FF was reading the water temp @ about 62 degrees and I fished between ramp C and the n-wake line.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #87
adamg
Steelhead

How's it looking lately? May try to take some kids out this Sunday
Old 10-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #88
Scar Face
Steelhead

I went out yesterday. It was slow but caught 5 planters and one catfish. I was trolling. Saw a few caught and some got some nice ones but none this time. Beautiful day on the water as no wind at all. I was having trout hit with no lead and with lead. Good day to be on the water.
Scar Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #89
adamg
Steelhead

Went today with kiddo, a friend and his kid. 3 rods from around 1pm-4. Got an above average stocker almost immediately right off the no wake zone on a maglip 2.0 downrigger'd.. Shortly after got a dinky stocker. Lost 2 others and one drive by. Pretty slow but 2 > 0.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #90
rollcast
Ifish Nate

I fished Hagg yesterday as well. I was blown away by how crowded it was. I know it is partly because of the small surface area right now but I think that is as many fishing boats as I have seen on that lake.

I only caught 2 stockers. Both came with 2oz of weight (6lb test diameter main line) and 30' of line out, trolling between .8 and 1.2mph. I also caught a bunch of small perch trolling and one big bluegill. I think My lures were in the 20-25' depth range (line was pretty vertical).

I saw a few fish caught by other trollers, including one nice one, but still fishing with powerbait looked to be working much better.

The thing that saved the day was the fried chicken from the Lakestop grocery on the way home!

Last edited by rollcast; 11-02-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #91
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Late report from Haag. Arrived Sunday with the Jetski about 9:00 AM. Started trolling toward the dam with two rods, one with a smile blade in front of a pink hoochie with double hooks tipped with half a crawler behind a gold arrow flasher. The other was a green Rooster Tail with a gold blade a little bigger than Rollcast uses with a stinger hook trailer threaded with the other half crawler behind a silver pro troll.

Was trolling about 1.3 MPH & had an ounce of lead on a slider for the hoochie and 3/4 oz of lead on the RT, both 75' back on the line counter. had one little tap on the RT after about 10 minutes then nothing for a bit. about 15 minutes later had a series of small hits on the RT but no hookup. Reeled in to find 1/4" of my worm left. Re-baited the rig and let it back out. Nothing for the next hour.

I noticed after a bait check that the pro troll was not working properly no matter what speed I was running, so i changed it out for another on of the same that worked properly. Decided to try speeding up the troll and went to about 2.2 MPH. Had a couple of strikes on the RT but nothing stuck, so dropped the rigs back to 100' & held the speed. Finally got a fish on the RT a bit after noon, a nice stocker about 13" or so.

It's after 12:00 PM and the only action was on the RT, so I finally get smart enough to change out the non productive hoochie with a rainow RT behind a protroll mostly silver with a pink stripe along one edge. Having had both rigs at the ski to change (hard to maintain trolling/ steerage while changing rigs for me,) I let the rainbow RT out to 115' trolling at about 2.2 mph. After putting the rod in the holder I reached back to get the other rod out and bam, fish on. Got this one in and it was just a bit smaller thant the first one. The next one came on the green RT and then another on the rainbow RT. These two were in the 11/ 12" range.

Having just gotten the rainbow RT deployed again, I reached back and pulled the green RT out of the rod holder thinking I would check bait and the action of moving the rod triggered a big strike. I could tell right away this was a better fish. I reeled it up to within about 35' & decided i needed to stop the ski to land this fish, so I put the rod in the holder while still running at 2+ MPH and reeled in the other rod so it would get to the bottom and hang up. The fish was still on when I picked the first rod up and while the fish made a few runs after getting close to the boat, I finally got the net under a bright fat 23" fish. That was a lot of fun & my 5th fish for a limit.

I should probably have changed out that pink hoochie a lot sooner, but I have had very good success a lot of different times of the year with that rig.

All the fish were great looking. The big one cut orange while the other four were pale.

I'm running a SeaDoo FishPro jetski, feel free to say hi if you see me out there.

Cheers, PDXTL
Old 11-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #92
Golfbum
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Tightlines View Post
Late report from Haag. Arrived Sunday with the Jetski about 9:00 AM. Started trolling toward the dam with two rods, one with a smile blade in front of a pink hoochie with double hooks tipped with half a crawler behind a gold arrow flasher. The other was a green Rooster Tail with a gold blade a little bigger than Rollcast uses with a stinger hook trailer threaded with the other half crawler behind a silver pro troll.

Was trolling about 1.3 MPH & had an ounce of lead on a slider for the hoochie and 3/4 oz of lead on the RT, both 75' back on the line counter. had one little tap on the RT after about 10 minutes then nothing for a bit. about 15 minutes later had a series of small hits on the RT but no hookup. Reeled in to find 1/4" of my worm left. Re-baited the rig and let it back out. Nothing for the next hour.

I noticed after a bait check that the pro troll was not working properly no matter what speed I was running, so i changed it out for another on of the same that worked properly. Decided to try speeding up the troll and went to about 2.2 MPH. Had a couple of strikes on the RT but nothing stuck, so dropped the rigs back to 100' & held the speed. Finally got a fish on the RT a bit after noon, a nice stocker about 13" or so.

It's after 12:00 PM and the only action was on the RT, so I finally get smart enough to change out the non productive hoochie with a rainow RT behind a protroll mostly silver with a pink stripe along one edge. Having had both rigs at the ski to change (hard to maintain trolling/ steerage while changing rigs for me,) I let the rainbow RT out to 115' trolling at about 2.2 mph. After putting the rod in the holder I reached back to get the other rod out and bam, fish on. Got this one in and it was just a bit smaller thant the first one. The next one came on the green RT and then another on the rainbow RT. These two were in the 11/ 12" range.

Having just gotten the rainbow RT deployed again, I reached back and pulled the green RT out of the rod holder thinking I would check bait and the action of moving the rod triggered a big strike. I could tell right away this was a better fish. I reeled it up to within about 35' & decided i needed to stop the ski to land this fish, so I put the rod in the holder while still running at 2+ MPH and reeled in the other rod so it would get to the bottom and hang up. The fish was still on when I picked the first rod up and while the fish made a few runs after getting close to the boat, I finally got the net under a bright fat 23" fish. That was a lot of fun & my 5th fish for a limit.

I should probably have changed out that pink hoochie a lot sooner, but I have had very good success a lot of different times of the year with that rig.

All the fish were great looking. The big one cut orange while the other four were pale.

I'm running a SeaDoo FishPro jetski, feel free to say hi if you see me out there.

Cheers, PDXTL
Nice ride your SeaDoo.
Golfbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #93
PDX Tightlines
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
Nice ride your SeaDoo.
Thanks, it's a lot of fun! Definitely different than a boat.

PDXTL