ISO Christmas gift advice? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 10-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
JettyJunkie
Steelhead

Default ISO Christmas gift advice?

I hope I’m in the right forum and can get some great advice. My girlfriend going on two years now has three girls with the youngest being 9. In the last year we have introduced them to fishing and clamming and the youngest has really gotten in to it. I think part of it is because she has always been second or third in line of doing something and this is something she is first in. This has been fun to watch and help grow. Watching her get jealous when she doesn’t catch the first one and then the calm and relaxation that’s comes after she is on the board. The scream “I got one!” Followed by the side angle rod hook set like she has been doing it for years. The patience to fish for 6 hours where I have to call it a day when she would keep going even if it is slow. Anyway being 9 she is still a typical little girl that doesn’t always take care of her toys, but thinking a fishing pole of her very own might change that. I’m looking for a blank in a 6’6” or 7’ range for her very own spinning rod and to graduate from the zebco baitcaster. I would then like to get it customized with the eyes being threaded with her favorite color. I really don’t know the first place to look for this and appreciate any advice or if anybody has a blank I could buy from them let me know.
Thanks,
Chris

JettyJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon
Default Re: ISO Christmas gift advice?

You need to find a custom rod builder who can take the project on, or learn how to do it yourself. As a friend used to say, if you have opposing thumbs you can build a fishing rod.

I don't have time in my schedule for that, but maybe one of the others here might.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
JettyJunkie
Steelhead

I’m just looking for a blank first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
StickFish
King Salmon

For trout?

You might look at the:

Rainshadow SP721 moderate action
Rainshadow SB780 or 781 Moderate Fast Action
Old 10-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
dbjockey
Steelhead

Now that my little girl is grown up, I would suggest this... don't get carried away with making the first fishing pole fancy. She will outgrow it pretty quickly. What she will really like is having her own gear. If you can add a little bling like a cool handle or pink color or some customization (maybe just her name on the blank) that is what will make it special.
dbjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #6
JettyJunkie
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjockey View Post
Now that my little girl is grown up, I would suggest this... don't get carried away with making the first fishing pole fancy. She will outgrow it pretty quickly. What she will really like is having her own gear. If you can add a little bling like a cool handle or pink color or some customization (maybe just her name on the blank) that is what will make it special.
That was my plan, I just don’t know where to get the blank to start. I did look at rainshadow but there are no dealers close, mostly one piece, no prices listed, no ordering online. I guess I will just have to keep searching for a two piece rod blank. I really thought they were easier to come by reading some of these threads Then what it actually is lol.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
StickFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyJunkie View Post
That was my plan, I just don’t know where to get the blank to start. I did look at rainshadow but there are no dealers close, mostly one piece, no prices listed, no ordering online. I guess I will just have to keep searching for a two piece rod blank. I really thought they were easier to come by reading some of these threads Then what it actually is lol.

For Rainshadow blanks call Utmost Enterprises in Washington. Several other online sites as well, Anglers Workshop, Mudhole and many others.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:03 AM   #8
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

With her being 9, I'm not sure I would be spending a ton on a custom rod as they get abused and broke. I would get her a good spinning rod and her own tackle box/bag.

My wife fished as a kid and with her Dad. When she got with me she wanted her own gear. With her favorite color being pink I looked at the Okuma ladies pink rods and for a nice trout rod for her. I partner that with a stocked, pink tackle bag. I think Flambeau is the maker.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
JettyJunkie
Steelhead

Thanks for the advice StickFish I did look into the retailers, but after what gettin fishy said it changed my whole perspective on this gift idea. I have found a combo in her favorite color (orange) and it’s an ugly stik that can take some abuse. I decided I will monogram it with her name to add that personal touch. Thank you everybody for the input I truly appreciate it.
Chris
Old 10-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
StickFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyJunkie View Post
Thanks for the advice StickFish I did look into the retailers, but after what gettin fishy said it changed my whole perspective on this gift idea. I have found a combo in her favorite color (orange) and it’s an ugly stik that can take some abuse. I decided I will monogram it with her name to add that personal touch. Thank you everybody for the input I truly appreciate it.
Chris

good idea