Brownlee/Powder River report 9/14-15 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
myxxolydyan

Default Brownlee/Powder River report 9/14-15

Fished from Friday at 5:00 p.m. until Sunday noon. Just a couple notes....

1) We did not target crappie, bluegill, or perch.
2) We did target catfish and smallmouth bass.

We landed 4 very nice 3 to 4 lb. catfish, using cut bait, Owner hooks, and 3/4 oz. egg sinker.

The bass fishing was awesome in the early and mid-morning, and that about sums it up. As soon as 11:00 a.m. rolled around, the bass totally shut off. We tried a few different baits and techniques, but after 11:00 a.m. they were done. Lots and lots of 9" and 10" bass. We did however land several 14" smallies. I estimate between the three of us we landed about 100 bass in two days of fishing. Nothing really big like we had hoped for, but we had a great time trying, and catching!

I finally did well with a crank bait. I've shied away from them due to lack of experience, but this trip I gave them a shot and they worked very well. We also had very good luck with a classic Texas rig with 3" Bass Pro Shops Stik-O watermelon bait. This was my go to bait for catching bigger fish. I also used a drop shot rig. It worked well, but the brass weight holders didn't hold my weight well enough so I changed up. I tried heavier weights, and I'm sure this is why.

I tried several different sizes of baits, from smaller 2" grubs up to an 8" soft bait, but the 3" Stik-O caught more and bigger fish.

As a side note, the Stik-O bait did not hold together very well. The rubber was very soft and was torn or damaged after very few casts. If a fish hit it, you could almost count on part of it being torn away. Our hooks were Owner #2's. We missed very few fish with these hooks!

Sorry no pictures. My wife had to use my camera for pictures of our daughters first game as a cheer leader!

I did see some folks with Crappie, and some pretty big ones. There were a few boats around we could see were fishing for crappie and bluegill, but I have no real 1st hand report.

My new bait caster took some getting used to, but I did very well with it.

We had a wonderful trip to Richland, and spent two wonderful nights out on the water. We caught lots of fish, and drank a few beers. All in all it was terribly fun!

Keep your line tight!

myxxolydyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
BuKuBass
Tuna!

Default Re: Brownlee/Powder River report 9/14-15

To toughen-up soft stickbaits, cut some used fabric softener sheets into strips that are .5" x 1.5 times the bait's circumference. Saturate these with PVC cement. While still wet, wrap them around the bait where the hook will exit, then stick a straight pin thru the tail and let them hang to dry. This method of reinforcement creates a much stronger lure.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Thecrease
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuKuBass View Post
To toughen-up soft stickbaits, cut some used fabric softener sheets into strips that are .5" x 1.5 times the bait's circumference. Saturate these with PVC cement. While still wet, wrap them around the bait where the hook will exit, then stick a straight pin thru the tail and let them hang to dry. This method of reinforcement creates a much stronger lure.
That is interesting.

I am not sure I would go through all that to make a bait tougher but it definatly sounds like it would work.

You can buy a 3 inch Yum Dinger that last longer than the mentioned bait and is still a lot cheaper then a Senko.

Last edited by Thecrease; 09-18-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Thecrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Thecrease
Chromer

Great report. Glad you had a good time. This will work to save you baits also.

When rigging a stick bait the first time I will shakey head it or nose hook it on a dshot rig after it gets pretty ate up I will save the bait and then Wacky rig it on a dshot rig. You can get a lot of life out of one bait.
Thecrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
1bigfish
Tuna!

You could also try the Trick Sticks by Alluing Baits. They hold up better then Senkos and are much cheeper.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
myxxolydyan

Quote:
You can buy a 3 inch Yum Dinger that last longer than the mentioned bait and is still a lot cheaper then a Senko.
Thanks for the ideas for strengthening these Stik-O's. I think I'll get a different brand next time, or just buy a bunch more with my next order. I also caught bass on a pearl-white version of the same 3" Stik-O.

Being a plumber, I do, however have PVC glue lying around!:grin:

tight lines
Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
myxxolydyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecrease View Post
When rigging a stick bait the first time I will shakey head it or nose hook it on a dshot rig after it gets pretty ate up I will save the bait and then Wacky rig it on a dshot rig. You can get a lot of life out of one bait.
Shakey head it?

Wacky rig?

Got some pics?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
1bigfish
Tuna!

Shakey head

http://www.alluringbaits.com/product...0(4/0)&id2=110

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...e.cfm?PID=4334

Wacky