Best tip from IFISH? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2002 archives

Old 10-27-2002, 10:23 AM   #1
Grits

Default Best tip from IFISH?

Like everyone else here I have learned a lot from IFISH. I was wondering what you consider to be the best tip, advice or technique that you have received/learned from IFISH.

My favorite is:

Use toothpicks to open the body cavities of small fish while smoking them and Sturgeon spots that people have shared.

Anyone else care to share their favorite piece of knowledge they have learned from this site.

Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2002, 03:11 PM   #2
Deepslayer
Tuna!

Default Re: Best tip from IFISH?

All of Pilar's shared info on tuna fishing!!!!
Deepslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:12 PM   #3
skein
is on the big blue pond again

I agree with the hogmaster, it isn't any one tip, it's belonging to a community of folks who enjoy and care about the outdoors as much as I do.

It's Jennie, inviting absolute strangers to ifishstock so we won't be strangers anymore.

It's Myles who gave me a tip on east-side hunting that we used to get my wife into her first mulie buck.

It's Keta who GAVE me the lure that he used to hammer the coho on the Umpqua.

It's GutShotApe who invited me, sight unseen, to a quiet little pond to bushwhack some ducks.

It's.....Crabbait, and Jellyhead, and Wet a Line, and Pilar's Mate, and Ugly Green, and, well, you know.

This is a nice place to pull up a chair and yarn about the things we love.

Skein
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Gosh! Too many to list, but this is my personal favorite:

Use a bungy cord stretched across the back of the driftboat, to form a cushion to lay rods on.

We tried this 2 years ago, and the bungy cord is still there! We love it!
All rods not being used are stored there, especially when the netter has to net the fish.
I just love it.

Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
[email protected]
AdminiMom

... and it's Lou, who found my K 13 pink and white Kwikfish on the Nehalem, after reading my story, and is mailing it back to me.
[img]graemlins/hearton.gif[/img]
Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Old 10-27-2002, 03:20 PM   #6
PapaHog
King Salmon

I agree with skein, It is a lot of things but most of all it is community of people with the same hopes for this sport we love. [img]graemlins/hearton.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/hearton.gif[/img] It is for sure Jen and her love for this sport and her guiding hand on this website.

The best tip I ever got was not on this website but to go to [img]graemlins/program.gif[/img] this website.

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:57 PM   #7
Born to Fish

Guess I'd have to go along with the prevailing observations in that it's no particular single bit of information but rather the information sharing and sense of community.

I sometimes feel at a disadvantage being a distant participant [Boise, ID] and not having the opportunity to get to interact directly with others. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed the many interesting threads, have learned techniques and locations that hopefully I will have the opportunity to try sometime in the future.

My thanks to Jen and her moderators for making this all happen.
Born to Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 06:05 PM   #8
WaterDog
King Salmon

Not really a tip but the best thing that ifish has given me are some good friends that I would have never met otherwise. :smile:
Old 10-27-2002, 06:26 PM   #9
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

I have made some great friends on ifish. I use to have a circle of losers I fished with. They were good friends but terrible fishing partners. I have found a circle of great fishermen who I truley enjoy to fish with. And that circle just keeps getting bigger all the time. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Best tip, is the putting of a paper towel in the vacummn bag to catch the juice so it doesnt get sucked into the machine.

[ 10-27-2002, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]
Old 10-27-2002, 08:22 PM   #10
goose
Steelhead

I agree. The excitement of coming home and seeing what my friends are up to is a shot in the arm for the day. Ok, so I check at work, too, but who's keeping score.
What a great bunch of friends.
Goose
p.s. It's hard to pick my favorite tip, as I have learned so much. You have to realize that when you don't know much to start with, every tip is good one.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:00 PM   #11
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

Mine is sort of fish related. The link to the fabulous price on the vacuum sealer that I bought for putting up the fish. I saved almost $100.00!
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:05 PM   #12
Hogmaster

Mine isn't a particular tip, technique or secret spot.

It is the friends I have met, some still virtual, some on trips (even some ducks!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: ) that enjoy the fishing experience as much as I.

Oh, I almost forgot. That and the outstanding smoke recipe that fishisabonus posted! It is the best!!!

[ 10-27-2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]
Hogmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 11:46 PM   #13
graybeard
Steelhead

Shhhhhh, don't let it get out, (or it could be made illegal) but I just heard that using Preparation H on your Kwikfish is deadly.

[ 10-27-2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: graybeard ]
Old 10-27-2002, 11:58 PM   #14
puffins crew
Tuna!

Interesting thread,

The most up to date "tip" I have recieved from my time on these boards just has to be all the great info about Albicore fishing.

What kind of techniques are working on any gived trip, info on making hand lines, etc.

And, of course, the IFish connection out on Big Blue. PRICELESS!! [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]

Peace, Tom

[ 10-27-2002, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: puffins crew ]
Ifish member #1417
puffins crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:38 AM   #15
Thumper
King Salmon

I think that the best tip I've gotten off Ifish was ******'s detailed instructions on properly rigging a spinner prawn using the little wire thingy on the line. That technique caught me a bunch of springers, summer steelies, as well as summer and fall chinooks. My prawn rigs are now sitting in the dark in my garage, resting up and making their own plans for February........

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:02 AM   #16
cannonball
Steelhead

#1 Float on end of anchor rope.

#2 Recipie for breaded salmon.

#3 The Fact That my obsession with fishing is minor when compared to others

#4 The fact that my ability to catch fish is much lower than many on this board.
cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:03 AM   #17
dampainter
Ifish Nate

the best tip I got was just finding this site and the so many tips on when where and how....graybeard....ya got to be kidding me? prep h???LMAO! STGrule, do you still have that link?

My turn to give you all a tip....the b run at the mouth of the deschutes is picking up.....fire tigers in magnum size , we hammered them friday.

[ 10-28-2002, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: dampainter ]
Old 10-28-2002, 06:00 AM   #18
AtWorkALot

The best advice I've seen? The best time to go fishing, any time you can. Second, don't whiz upwind.
AtWorkALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:46 AM   #19
ampersat
King Salmon

for me, it's jennie's tagline: expect a fish with every cast. having faith in the technique you're using makes all the difference.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:15 AM   #20
Point-of-Sale Clerk
Ifish Nate

mine would have to be the do's and dont's for "off shore drilling" :grin: :grin: :grin:

Point-of-Sale Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:44 AM   #21
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Lemon Joy!!! Wash everything. Caught lots more fish this year due to that tip.

And, that mushy stuff about new friends and folks to fish with. I second that.

Sometimes you got to read between the lines for the information but it is here.

Oh yeah, the e-mail function is great when you want to exchange secret's. :shocked:

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:24 AM   #22
Bankbound
Tuna!

I really appreciated all the feedback I got from my "bobbber stop problems thread". Once again thank you all.
I have not met or fished with any of you yet, but am looking forward to some fishing partners who are worth while and won't say "why not" when I look at them funny for putting a spinner under bobbers.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:41 AM   #23
wetaline
Tuna!

I'd have to say the thing I've gotten most out of Ifish is a better understanding to other fishermans views on the sport which in turn has help mold my behaviors.

I was likely conceived and dillivered in a hogline (although i've never asked) and have been raised as such. My dad was a great fisherman and I like to beleive I've evolved into even a more polished fisherman than he- which brings me to my point... I grew up only understading "the old time" views of the environment and fishing methods etc..... Ifish has somewhat changed my view of that....

i.e... never would have thought anyone (well at least a fisherperson) would have a negative thought against someone bonkin the sucker fish that ate my eggs while targeting salmon (i actually released a poggy unharmed yesterday), or that people were so aware of "team fishing" and whom tagged what fish etc.... You guys get the point. So thanks for providing an open forum to bounce ideas around - providing different points of view, so that even us people that think we know a lot have a huge opportunity to learn if we just open our mind a little.

And you know the other thing I'd like to add is how Ifish has helped me become more involved and knowledgeable of "fish politics" - I never would have written or called local government about our fishing policies prior to Ifish...

Most fisherman are liars, except you and me, and sometimes I doubt YOU!

Your not going to catch them sitting in the living room
wetaline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:59 AM   #24
crabbait
King Salmon

Wetaline brings up some good points. I think the power that we have in the number of ifishers out there is one of the best things about ifish.

Mark's jig clinic was also a highlight. Hope we can do it again soon.

The deals I have made through the classifieds deserve a mention as well. Got a Loomis Premier backbouncer and two Abu Garcia reels for less than the price of the Loomis!

How about the incentive to go fishing when I would be doing something else but for the info I get from ifish.

[ 10-28-2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]
Old 10-28-2002, 10:35 AM   #25
garyk
King Salmon

A few key tips/advice come to mind:

1. Advice on tuning Alvins a couple years back got us into fish a lot quicker.

2. Sardines DO catch springers - maybe better than herring sometimes.

3. Pilar, Keta and others advice on troubleshooting a boat for stray electrical currents; and desirable electrical potentials.

Thanks to all and especially Jennie and the mods who help to make this a unique and valuable resource.

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 12:18 PM   #26
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

That's what I was wondering Chris. Pete and ****** are in a class by them selves.

Old 10-28-2002, 12:24 PM   #27
Miss B Haven

Pilars fully illustrated Tuna gear lesson! I got a copy in my boat as reference. Right beside Chapmans and Bowditch. Hands down winner, bar none. Thanks guy! :grin: :smile: [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]
PS - Want another good tip? Never get in a graphics war with ****** or *** Clerk! :shocked:
Miss B Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:12 PM   #28
will_e_fish
Chromer

The "Best Tip" is well I don't I have just one there are so many! It is hard to sort it out all at once.So many tips,ideas,technuiques and funy stuff it is like the longest list or mabe a book's worth. "Fishing is life and all the rest is details." Good ,better and maybe not so good it all has it's place and value.

I am truly thankful for everything ifish and everyone of the ifishers. :grin: [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]
will_e_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:03 PM   #29
FishinMission

Though I continually look for new things here...I usually end up using what I believe in.
And what I believe in usually works. It has been demonstrated to most Ifishers here that know me. So.....I guess I'd have to conclude I'm more of a "contributor". While I may tell you "what" I'm doing....I'm not gonna tell you where I'm doing it. Sorry....Just the way I am...don't like crowds, don't want crowds. You find me....I'm busted. Plain and simple.

I think I've helped lots of Ifishers here on the board. And that's a good feeling too.

Mark
FishinMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:31 PM   #30
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Yoda Mission, you're my only hope. Teach me the ways of the Jedi Mission. The Force is strong with you Yoda Mission. Help me conquer the Dark Side of Fishing. You are my only hope.

I have tried the Dark Side with Princess Neutron, BOE, Birdhunter and Uncle Bob. They are weak and have subcombed to the Dark Side. I am your student. Take me out of this Doughball mold and shape me into a proper Mission Jedi Knight. Yoda Mission, you are my only hope.

Your Humble Servant

Jabba and Eat. :grin:

PS Just fun'in ya a little Mark. Glad you were awake today. Hope you are feeling better.

Old 10-28-2002, 05:56 PM   #31
ANDYCOHO
Sturgeon

Pilar is my hero, I have his lessons laminated in a three ring binder in my boat as references. From knots and lures to boat range by far the most helpful tips I could ask for and they were free!! I know I would have never of caught a tuna without his help and lessons. I have then shared his teachings to others (of course giving credit to Pilar) who have gone out and had the time of their lives.

Pilar you need to need to get a publisher!

Thank you Pilar!

Andy

NON-Guided Adventures!
ANDYCOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:04 PM   #32
Hogmaster

C&E

Quote:
Take me out of this Doughball mold
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helv">Some things not even a Jedi Warrior can accomplish!

Accept your fate. You are destined for the "Dark Side" :grin: :grin: :grin:
Old 10-28-2002, 07:19 PM   #33
Point-of-Sale Clerk
Ifish Nate

Point-of-Sale Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 08:00 PM   #34
fishwhenican
Tuna!

What really got me started was Pillar and the rest of the salty dawg crew. They forced me to sign-up. They forced me (not really) to go tuna fishing, and now I'm addicted. So the best tip of all was how to become addicted to tuna fishing. Reread all the threads, when you read and recite them backwards you will see what I mean.
HaaHaaaHaa
Old 10-28-2002, 08:03 PM   #35
boater
Tuna!

probly the best tip i got was when someone told me to keep my big mouth shut
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:50 PM   #36
dogfishboy
Tuna!

Too darn funny Jabba & Eat. Maybe your best yet.

I think the thing that has had the greatest impact, and could also be called a tip, is that "it's just fishing" as #87 reminds us. Given the lose of several ifish members and family and friends of members this year, I've been reminded too often just what's important in life. Fishing is way up there, but there are other things that come before it.

Like Hogmaster, this too is not exactly a tip but I get daily enjoyment from reading and following all of your antics.

[ 10-29-2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: dogfishboy ]
Ifisher #37
dogfishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 11:29 PM   #37
husker
Ifish Nate

having fished with a few ifishers the awesome insight is what makes this best.....most of the guys on this board know there stuff.....but a few have it really dialed in

******, fm2, pete, CE just to name a few
Old 10-28-2002, 11:39 PM   #38
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

You making fun of me again Husker? Thank you for the flattery but I am far from "dialed in". I'll be the first one to admit that. I have become more accomplished in a few fisheries but still very lacking in others.

I hope that any information I share helps others. If not I at least hope it gives you a good laugh.

Here is another tip for ya Husker. Want to put more springers in your boat? Find out where BOE is fishing and go the opposite direction. :tongue:

Old 10-28-2002, 11:43 PM   #39
Chris Nordling

Quote:
Originally posted by husker:
most of the guys on this board know there stuff.....but a few have it really dialed in

******, fm2, pete, CE just to name a few
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helv">I can't believe I just read that last grouping of Fisherman :shocked: :shocked:

Rick and Pete grouped with Keith and Bernie?????? Whoaa. Where have I been?? :tongue: :tongue:

Are you feeling ok ?

Chris
Buoy 10
Sturgeon
(503) 866-0971
http://www.CatchSomeFish.Net
Fisherman's Marine&Outdoor Pro Staff
ClackaCraft Drift Boats Pro Staff

Twitter: @
CNordlingfishin
Facebook:http://tinyurl.com/CNguidefanpage

Chris Nordling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:57 AM   #40
[email protected]
AdminiMom

The dark side....
Fishin Mission,
Who single handedly made The *********** popular.

:grin:
Jen

I edited it out his zipperlip. :smile:
No kidding though, in all reality,
"I want to be just like Fishin Mission"
Really, really I DO!
J

[ 10-29-2002, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

Old 10-29-2002, 05:42 AM   #41
Chris Nordling

C & E -

That was too good [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]

Chris
Buoy 10
Sturgeon
(503) 866-0971

CNordlingfishin

Old 10-29-2002, 05:45 AM   #42
Chris Nordling

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]:

No kidding though, in all reality,
"I want to be just like Fishin Mission"
Really, really I DO!
J
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helv">Don't we all ?? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hi Mark

Chris
Buoy 10
Sturgeon
(503) 866-0971

CNordlingfishin

Old 10-29-2002, 07:14 AM   #43
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Hogmaster, "destined for the Dark Side"? That may be but at least I tie down my light saber so it does not blow out of the water flyer. :shocked: That way I can fight another day.

You are not a Jedi Mission follower Gary 2d2. The force is not strong in you. :shocked:

Old 10-29-2002, 07:24 AM   #44
Hogmaster

I was worried, Bern, that you had done something really dumb! Like goin' fishin' or something. Would hate to see you wasting time! :shocked: :shocked:

A new light saber is being donated by one of my Klingons, and the old one is being sent to the Hall o' Shame.

Soon the butt will be off the virtual field of play and back in the warrior space.

If you send an address I can mail you some catch!

Old 10-29-2002, 08:49 AM   #45
Whopper Stopper
Steelhead

finding this site renewed my faith that most fishermen are good people. After a few encounters with thoughtless and nasty fisherdudes I hung up my gear for a couple of years. Then Dave Johnson put me on to this site and I found a group of helpful, generous guys and gals who really care about the fisheries. Some of these guys and their willingness to share details that would take years of 'hit and miss" to learn. They remind me of the Dads, Uncles and Grandfathers many of us wish we had that could pass on the knowledge and techniques we seek. Thanks guys!!!! ,
Old 10-29-2002, 09:32 AM   #46
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Sorry Gary. Did I say "Force"? I meant "Farce". :grin: :grin:

Old 10-29-2002, 01:23 PM   #47
FishinMission

Hey...I aint as ugly as Yoda...I think....

All I got to say is... I'm still learning. If you don't go lookin' foir that "Mother Lode"...you won't find it. Had one of my best summers this year...saw lots of friends get lots of fish. 2002 will never be forgotten!!

Mark
FishinMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:00 PM   #48
Nanook

Not only is Mark the Jedi Massa fisherman....but also

"Spanky"

[ 10-29-2002, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]
Old 10-29-2002, 02:02 PM   #49
Miss B Haven

Quote:
Originally posted by FishinMission:
Hey...I aint as ugly as Yoda...I think....

Mark
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helv">Hey Mission - is that the best tip you've gotten here? :grin:
Miss B Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 04:24 PM   #50
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Mark, I bet you were'nt to pretty when your were sick.

Actually Mark, I really appreciated your imput this year. Made me think of some different tactics for the springers this coming season. Got to try some of them. :smile: You do contribute a lot to this board which we all have learned from.

Now as for ******...... Just kidding. Appreciated your willingness to show us your spinner trick via photos. That and letting us tease ya to the point of ticking you off. [img]graemlins/program.gif[/img] :tongue: :grin:

Lots of folks have contributed some really cool stuff. Just happened to credit you two cause your easy targets. :grin:

Old 10-29-2002, 11:24 PM   #51
Paddlefish

#1: You can't believe everything you read.

#2: Most fishermen -- especially the truly devoted and concerned ones who care deeply about their sport and resource -- is good folks.

#3: I learned everything I need to know about coastal boating from *********. I'm taking one of my canoes tuna fishing next year! :grin:
Paddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:03 AM   #52
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Opps..was that a secret? Paddawan??? :shocked:

Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #53
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Bump to the top... in fact, to the top from the archives.

I love these ones. All the greatest tips in one thread. Let's hear some more greatest of all time tips!

Jen