Prineville crappie? - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #61
358norma
Chromer

Default Re: Prineville crappie?

Its on. Fished upper end of reservoir from bank. Caught more than we wanted in a couple hours.

358norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #62
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I get confused with upper end, where is that? That up by the dam? I'd though about going up there but wasn't sure the ramp was good to go yet. Actually, I didn't even know there was a ramp there! Been a long time since I've been there.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #63
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I get confused with upper end, where is that? That up by the dam? I'd though about going up there but wasn't sure the ramp was good to go yet. Actually, I didn't even know there was a ramp there! Been a long time since I've been there.

Dam would be at the lower end.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #64
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Ah, thank you! I was near the upper end Friday but didn't go all the way there. Got 4 crappie and two bass so not bad I guess. Got a new reel delivered today but bait caster. Love'em.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #65
bhyattbend
Fry

5/2/19 update:

Powder House Cove dock is floating now, and the crappie bite is good in the cove. Caught a bunch last night on the bank near the picnic tables.
bhyattbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #66
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Went 5/1 upriver of the floating toliet near the resort, lots of crappie suspended 40-45' fow fish were hitting any color jig from 3-15' deep. Fish are looking a little bigger than last year at this time. Also caught a few smallies by the fishing platform by the state park on crawdad crankbaits.
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #67
Don Fischer
King Salmon

I didn't need to hear that! Now I'm taking another rod with me Sunday. Got a new bait caster reel that need's tried out on some bass. Also got some new plastic worm stuff that need's tried. Doing my best to make Amazon rich! New casting rod be here Tuesday for an old reel I've never used. Never used; good reason to buy a new rod!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #68
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Picked the girl friend u about 12:30 nd off to Prineville. Fished the upper end, as far as that rest stop with the toilet. Left there about 7 pm. caught 27 we kept 8 1/2" to 9 1/2". Threw back a bunch under 8 1/2". They hit pretty much anything but best was what the boss called a pink rubber augertail, about 1 1/2". Maybe the black rubber deal was a bit better. Black with silver sparkles in it and kinda like a hula skirt rather than a tail. Got them all within maybe 20' away from tall weeds growing out of the water. Heavy weeds on the bottom too. had a couple go down and get into them and Tangled me up and lost my rig. Used a !" cork bobber with a bobber stop at abut 6'. above the jig to take it down.really small head on the jigs and had to add a split shot about 12" above the jig to take it down. wind blew on and off but sun was out and it was warm. No clue the water temp. Had a good day. Thanks again puckfisher, got me going pretty good last year. shoot I even joined a crappie site!

The girl friend, Tammy. Had a great time with her. First girl friend in about 16 yrs!

Last edited by Don Fischer; 05-06-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #69
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Good job and congrats on the lady friend !!
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #70
oregonoutdoors
Tuna!

Great report Don, i'm headed out with the wife and kids on Wednesday after reading your report.

Quote:
Picked the girl friend u about 12:30 nd off to Prineville. Fished the upper end, as far as that rest stop with the toilet. Left there about 7 pm. caught 27 we kept 8 1/2" to 9 1/2". Threw back a bunch under 8 1/2". They hit pretty much anything but best was what the boss called a pink rubber augertail, about 1 1/2". Maybe the black rubber deal was a bit better. Black with silver sparkles in it and kinda like a hula skirt rather than a tail. Got them all within maybe 20' away from tall weeds growing out of the water. Heavy weeds on the bottom too. had a couple go down and get into them and Tangled me up and lost my rig. Used a !" cork bobber with a bobber stop at abut 6'. above the jig to take it down.really small head on the jigs and had to add a split shot about 12" above the jig to take it down. wind blew on and off but sun was out and it was warm. No clue the water temp. Had a good day. Thanks again puckfisher, got me going pretty good last year. shoot I even joined a crappie site!

The girl friend, Tammy. Had a great time with her. First girl friend in about 16 yrs!

oregonoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #71
konaaahbend
Tuna!

Two fellow yakers and former co-workers hauled in a mess of crappie from Prineville this past weekend. They’re small but abundant.Click image for larger version

Name:	8E71A256-0F40-4C97-87D0-1D32D5B56294.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	723135
konaaahbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #72
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

I have never been to this lake but am going early next week for a few days in search of tiny crappie!
So are the crappie going to be in the upper part of the lake in the shallows or just scattered everywhere? Will be staying at the state park which appears to be about the middle of the reservoir which should give plenty of opportunity to cover the entire lake.
1nutinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #73
puckfisher
Tuna!

Dang Don, nice catch. The girl, not the crappies. I,m back at Shasta. That’s the good news. They raised the water about half a lake full and, poof! The crappies are gone. Got 11 pound cat on crappie gear. That took a while. See you at Prineville!
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #74
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaaahbend View Post
Two fellow yakers and former co-workers hauled in a mess of crappie from Prineville this past weekend. They’re small but abundant.Attachment 723135
Not so small. Great photo captures extra dark black crappies with beautiful metallic greens and purple. Nice eating size.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #75
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
Dang Don, nice catch. The girl, not the crappies. I,m back at Shasta. That’s the good news. They raised the water about half a lake full and, poof! The crappies are gone. Got 11 pound cat on crappie gear. That took a while. See you at Prineville!
Going to Mouth of the John Day, LePage Park tomorrow looking for cats. Have a pretty old Shakespeare Level wind I've never used and got a rod for it today from Amazon. Think I'll probably use my Millionaire though. Got a bunch of chicken liver ready, some cow liver and some hot dogs. Not to sure about this hot dog idea but gonna try it. Mixed with strawberry jello and garlic powder. This should be good! Gonna take along a crappie rig and bass rig just for grins!

Old 05-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #76
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
I have never been to this lake but am going early next week for a few days in search of tiny crappie!
So are the crappie going to be in the upper part of the lake in the shallows or just scattered everywhere? Will be staying at the state park which appears to be about the middle of the reservoir which should give plenty of opportunity to cover the entire lake.
If you're in a boat the area up from the state park launch around the fishing pier and the boat docks hold plenty of crappie you can also launch at Jasper point crappie are everywhere up there as well. You shouldn't have a problem finding or catching them. If you go down towards the dam go into bear creek arm lots in there too and all along the shoreline around the dam.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #77
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin4life! View Post
If you're in a boat the area up from the state park launch around the fishing pier and the boat docks hold plenty of crappie you can also launch at Jasper point crappie are everywhere up there as well. You shouldn't have a problem finding or catching them. If you go down towards the dam go into bear creek arm lots in there too and all along the shoreline around the dam.
Yep taking the boat so should be able to find them. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #78
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin4life! View Post
Terrible time remembering that name, Jasper Point. That's where I put in and found a big concentration at the rest room up the lake quite away. Fished those reed's in about 9 ft of water. Used a slip bobber at about 5 ft.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #79
Oregon Moss
Steelhead

Fished last Sat afternoon in the Bear creek channel, found Crappies along the shore in 8-15' . They were hitting just about any color you threw at them. caught about 50 or so, 9 1/2" was the largest. Had some for dinner tonight,
Oregon Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #80
puckfisher
Tuna!

Bite is on. Stopped counting at about a bazillion. Upper end fishing just of edge off brush was best. Switched to light fly rod with weighted nymph and snow cone chironomid. They liked both. Best was almost 10 inches. Gonna clean 50 or so. Take the kids soon.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #81
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Fished 5/13 & 5/14.
Crazy easy- they hit anything and everything. Kept 317.

A lot of work to fillet 8-9" fish but they are tasty!
The campground at the state park is top notch and the host is a true gentleman! He even helped fillet some of the catch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (11).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	723555  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #82
puckfisher
Tuna!

Looks like a fish plague. You kept over 300. Normally I would frown on that practice but this is different. These fish are everywhere and with good water this year and hopefully in the near future, fishermen need to thin them out. I cleaned 50 the other day and every one of them was a female stuffed with eggs. It will be interesting to see this fishery mature. The fry should provide a feast for the bass population and trout as well. Impossible to fish them out but stunted crappies everywhere would be a disaster. I am looking forward to at least a few years of good numbers and larger average size. I would like to see ODFW allow a group of us to sink maybe a couple dozen small junipers for cover. This fishery is unlike any we have in Central Oregon. Big bass, nice trout and good panfish population. Special spot.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #83
spoonmaster
Steelhead

Quote:
Looks like a fish plague. You kept over 300. Normally I would frown on that practice but this is different. These fish are everywhere and with good water this year and hopefully in the near future, fishermen need to thin them out. I cleaned 50 the other day and every one of them was a female stuffed with eggs. It will be interesting to see this fishery mature. The fry should provide a feast for the bass population and trout as well. Impossible to fish them out but stunted crappies everywhere would be a disaster. I am looking forward to at least a few years of good numbers and larger average size. I would like to see ODFW allow a group of us to sink maybe a couple dozen small junipers for cover. This fishery is unlike any we have in Central Oregon. Big bass, nice trout and good panfish population. Special spot.

Ochoco could stand to have a bunch relocated from Prineville again.

Last edited by spoonmaster; 05-16-2019 at 08:33 AM.
spoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #84
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Quote:
Is the small size due to the overpopulation in this lake? Several folks commented on how they are larger this year and last summer there were thousands of dead fish floating around the lake. These were just barely large enough to bother harvesting.
They seem to be so thick I cannot imagine there is enough food for a healthy population.

New fishery to me.......
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #85
adrenaline
King Salmon

Thanks for the reports guy's, next year we will help thin out those stunted Crappie...so they can grow bigger.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #86
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

A 9" crappie doesn't seem too small to me. Bigger would be nice but 9" crappie all day long works just fine. I have no idea what they have in there for them to eat. Still dont know how they just showed up all of the sudden after years of them being almost non existent for years. I wish someone could answer some of these questions. But won't look a gift horse in the mouth
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #87
puckfisher
Tuna!

The crappie were always there. There were years of dinks and several years of larger(12-13) inch fish but only in a few locations. Fall was a good time to target them and few people knew about these nice fish. I haven’t seen a 13 incher in there for 5 years or so. Now we have a huge population of midsizers. I believe the key to maintaining this fishery is structure. Crappie fishing in Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. targets sunken brush piles everywhere. Trout don’t need this stuff and smallmouth seem to like rocks more. Hard to predict where this goes but what a great species for families and a nice change from trout dominated waters in Central Oregon. Get ‘em now, post spawn crappies can get lockjaw and seemingly disappear.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #88
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

The last 3 years have been off the charts as far as quantity, this year is looking to be the same. Fished last year from April through October and couldn't keep the crappie away. Bring the kids and the grandkids they'll have a blast. Tasty little fish as well.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #89
Walleyehunter
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
A 9" crappie doesn't seem too small to me. Bigger would be nice but 9" crappie all day long works just fine. I have no idea what they have in there for them to eat. Still dont know how they just showed up all of the sudden after years of them being almost non existent for years. I wish someone could answer some of these questions. But won't look a gift horse in the mouth
Each spawning black crappie female produces between 5,000 to 60,000 eggs! So just say that 10,000 mature females successfully spawned out 10,000 fry ea. and survived the first year, that equals 100,000,000! Black Crappie are fertile breeders and will over-populate small bodies of water very quickly if the population is not controlled. I heard from a couple of guys on the water last Friday, when I was there, that a party from the "city", was night fishing off the docks with lights and had ~1,000 fish by morning.
We caught over 100 and kept just under 100 in less than 4 hrs. between two of us. Cleaning them all is a job, but they are the best tasting and easier to clean than a 15". The scales & skin aren't as thick as an older fish and the knives stay sharper longer.
Walleyehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #90
puckfisher
Tuna!

Electric filet knife is almost mandatory on a pile of panfish like these. So easy and fast but must stay alert. Cuts, although rare, can be nasty and usually involve flopping, slimy fish when you get tired and bored. No sharpening needed and every model I have tried has been decent.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #91
Oregon Moss
Steelhead

I remember catching hundreds of 8-9" fish back in 2002/03 I think the lake is stunted as you never catch anything bigger.
Oregon Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #92
puckfisher
Tuna!

Crappie fisheries are notorious for going in cycles. Crappies are averaging 14 inches up to 18 in Lake Shasta now. 3 years of good water has flooded willows and brush and now the size is at a maximum. You won’t get 50, they are smart and buried in the thick stuff. Brownlee has years where you get 100 or more easily on bobbers in shallow water. Now, they have two classes of fish. The smaller fish are numerous but the 12-14 inchers are being fussy. Prineville seems to have one class now , about 9 inches. That is not stunted. I have seen lakes with stunted panfish, all about 3-4 inches. Fishermen are taking fish out now and that is a good thing. A couple low water years will crush this fishery. It has happened and a new cycle will begin. I hope we see fewer, larger fish next year. It won’t last forever.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #93
adrenaline
King Salmon

I don't consider a 9" Crappie stunted either, depending how old for their size/weight, but they likely would be bigger if less abundant to compete for the available food, as there is only x amount of food in a fishery, simple put 1/2 a million fish would have twice the food available as 1 million fish would in that same fishery, no that does not mean they will grow twice as fast, just faster. Owyhee always has a consistant abundant supply of 9" to 10" Crappie, some smaller from the next generation, but never have I seen any larger than 11" there, my guess is cause of the remote location, stable water level during the spawn, along with limited access, it never gets too much pressure, & the abundance is always present with the available food supply. Water levels play a role also, Crappie need a stable water level during the spawn, Brownlee has the most water fluctuations, & is the most likey to loose an entier genertion of fish, this years spawn looks good for Crappie, perhaps Idaho Power knows this & is working with fish bioligists to help bring back Crappie populations, Brownlee is a very fertile body of water, & one good spawn can make huge difference, 2 good spawns in a row is needed at this point IMO. Drought no doubt plays a role also, low water consentrates fish, making them easy prey for fishermen, & other fishes like Bass, & Catfish, after a drought the food supply increases from all the bugs, & stuff that made a home during the drought, making for faster growing Crappie, my brother in San Diego says the third year after a drought is best, one day he caught a limit of 25 Crappie after a long drought that weighted #75, mounted the biggest one at over #4. Fern Ridge res by Eugene where you once could fill a 5gal bucket within a few hours had the water level lowered for dam repairs several years back, that nearly wiped out the Crappie fishery, Crappie still have not rebounded to an abundant level there, a co worker, & a tournament Bass fisherman wanting more Bass to catch in their tournaments relocated severall hundred Bass from east side Cascade lakes after the dam repairs, which greatly helped their fishery, but might be why Crappie are struggling to rebound at Fern Ridge res.?

Last edited by adrenaline; 05-18-2019 at 09:54 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #94
huckleberry
Fry

I did a test run to Prineville for the first time a couple weeks ago, had a blast! We just did the C&R, but plan on keeping a bunch this weekend. My sister and my nieces are coming to visit and hopefully the crappies will still be plentiful. We launched at the state park. My question is do you recommend launching somewhere else for the Memorial day weekend? Just wondering if it will be a complete zoo at the state park. Do the other launches have a fish cleaning facility? It doesn't look it will be super hot, so hopefully that will cut down on the pleasure crafters, but maybe I'm dreaming. Thanks for any info.
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #95
puckfisher
Tuna!

Only fish cleaning station at State Park and it is first class. Be careful with other guys cleaning fish. Weather may slow the bite but I don’t think it will shut it down. Crowds are to be expected. Catch and keep. I just had a batch, delicious. I am headed to Manitoba. Whack and stack walleyes from shallow water.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #96
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Ate my last package for dinner last night. Back to Prineville this weekend, have to stock up!

Old 05-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #97
fisher guy
Chromer

Any power outlets at the fish cleaning station?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #98
Big Bubba
Chromer

Quote:
Ate my last package for dinner last night. Back to Prineville this weekend, have to stock up!
There is electricity to run the wash cycle but I can not be sure there are outlets. If not, if you have an inverter on a portable power pack battery, or can plug in to DC outlet in vehicle. Might be tested at home before you go. Bring an extension cord too. Or run small generator. There might be an outlet in the bathroom next to cleaning station too. This is the wilderness, don't you know?
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #99
puckfisher
Tuna!

Almost certain there are outlets for filet knives. An extension is a good idea, though.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #100
puckfisher
Tuna!

I actually prefer to clean them at home. Bury them in ice for a couple hours and the flesh firms up and is easier to filet. No flopping spines in the hand.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #101
spoonmaster
Steelhead

Upper part of the reservoir. 4-10 ft deep. couldn't find big schools but found willing biters here and there. Water at 59°. most anything we jigged with white drew hits, including bonus rainbow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190526_133322_1558914655421.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	724099  
spoonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #102
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Well tried Bowman dam today. Out there about 40 min and got caught in hard rain. Had seven in by that time only couple hundred yards or so from the dock. Lost several right at the boat lifting them out of the water, would have had them all if I'd have used the net. Just before my first cast, my new pup, Sis, jumped over the side of the boat. Didn't think she could do that. Saw her go under and terror griped me hard but she came right back up. She swam in a circle and came in behind the motor and I lifted her out of the water. She didn't try jumping again! But now I know, 9 weeks and she is a swimmer!

Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #103
fisher guy
Chromer

No electrical outlets at the fish cleaning station. Used an inverter and boat battery to run electric knife. Tons of fish available look like they are ready to spawn any day.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:39 AM   #104
Big Bubba
Chromer

Looks like the crappie are practically jumping in the boat.

Last edited by Big Bubba; 06-02-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:07 AM   #105
newfydog
Steelhead

Hey Teddy,

Sorry if you had a missunderstanding. We get all sorts of things on the internet, so when a new poster sends out a message people are cautious. I'll be going to Prineville to fish and camp a few times in the next few weeks and if I have some good advice I'll send it along to you and your husband. I know an out of the way area to camp and if things are good out there maybe we can all have some some crappie and a few beers after fishing sometime.

Here's a catch from last year in early June

newfydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:43 AM   #106
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Any one else getting personal messages asking questions about Prineville crappie, where to fish, camp, etc.? Are there others contacting you with personal messages that eventually lead to "maybe we can fish together" with a picture of a female along with the moniker?
yea I have. Teddybear31. Picture of a younger girl in it. Have had a couple messages from her. Answered them and didn't get anything to suggest anything other than she was looking where to fish. Did seem like she wasn't sure where to go out there or even how to find the Res.! I gave her my vast knowledge of crappie fishing, all three weeks of it!

Last edited by Don Fischer; 06-02-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #107
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear31 View Post
I didt know it was. So dam personal just to ask for your help since am new here. And if u dont want to help me just say so ok no need to go put my name on ur post n say this and that ok. We all are here for help am new to this and i just wondering if someone have experience that know better then me. To help a girl or a friend out is that so hard to even ask from here?! though we all a team here but i guess i was wrong about you anyways u just takecare yourself ok have a good day sorry to even bug you buddy! Have a good life! Dont worry i wont but u ever agin u just to mean to even post my name on here! All i do is to get some help becuz me and my husband want to know where good spot to fish that all! So u must have dirty mind! So am asking u nicely please take my name off your post thank you very much!
As I think about it, you didn't ask me anything you couldn't ask on the forum. Didn't know why you did it in a per message and until now didn't think about it a lot!

Old 05-31-2019, 09:56 PM   #108
358norma
Chromer

I got a PM too. They're crappie for sh##ts sake! If you can hit the water with any size/color of jig you'll catch more than you care to fillet. I would love to see an estimate on the metric tonnage of crappie in pvile res.
358norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:53 AM   #109
Teddybear31
Fry

Well to the people I messaged all becuz I want to know where everybody fishing at some fish's different place and other fish's different places n all combined together I will caught alot of friend and why am asking straight forward is bexuz I want to go to the good spot that crappies are biting now instead of going here and thier n wasting my car gas that all forks n thank to everyone that help me out I really appreciate it everyone that care for me n help.me out am new to this lol
Teddybear31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:02 AM   #110
Teddybear31
Fry

To NewFYDog your right all I am here is to get help and have fun time fishing for crappies and I like the way you think better then other people out thier that don't have a big caring heart yes plz hit me up and we all can tag along n fish n eat n drink if u like lol hehe I just want to know where all the crappies are in that lake so am new here n just want to find them n fish them all my family n cousin love crappies so now am asking nice for help cuz I never been thier before that all you fork out thier lol no worry am not a stronger or a scammer ok just lost in this in lake lol hehe let all get along n work as a team player! Have a good day everyday and good luck fishing!
Teddybear31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #111
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Well to the people I messaged all becuz I want to know where everybody fishing at some fish's different place and other fish's different places n all combined together I will caught alot of friend and why am asking straight forward is bexuz I want to go to the good spot that crappies are biting now instead of going here and thier n wasting my car gas that all forks n thank to everyone that help me out I really appreciate it everyone that care for me n help.me out am new to this lol
I see you went on the introduction board & asked questions about fishing... without introducing yourself...why?, nobody knows who you are, an introduction would be very helpfull. Plenty of good info already shared on this board, Crappie are biting now as reported many times on this thread, some things are better done than said....like Crappie fishing, this thread alone has enough infor for anybody to catch a bunch of Crappie, no need for a PM...just go.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #112
newfydog
Steelhead

The bite is still on. Fished 6/3 and 6/10, basically fishing for smallmouth with a fly rod, but hauling in a pile of crappie when they are found. The bass fishing has been slow compared to last year, but once the school of crappie are found the seems to be no limit to how many you can catch. Took 24-36 both days, all 8- 9.75". Somewhat weedy tasting but not bad.

Today I worked all the rocky points in Bear Creek arm with poor fishing, but before I left found a bank of drowned willows with crappie every cast. Picked up some small but acrobatic bass there too. Fish were in 8-10' of water, 5-20 feet off shore of the flooded willows.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #113
puckfisher
Tuna!

Strangely, there have been no reports of big bass caught at Prineville. I know this is a crappie discussion but one would think that someone has been spanking some big bass out there. There are some jumbo smallies and largemouth but not a word. You would think someone would get a 6 pounder accidentally on a jig occasionally. Come on now, brag a little. I’ll post a Brownlee report in a few days.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #114
newfydog
Steelhead

Quote:
Strangely, there have been no reports of big bass caught at Prineville. I know this is a crappie discussion but one would think that someone has been spanking some big bass out there. There are some jumbo smallies and largemouth but not a word. You would think someone would get a 6 pounder accidentally on a jig occasionally. Come on now, brag a little. I’ll post a Brownlee report in a few days.
I worked a lot of bassy places, with some proven bass flies. Caught about six, 8-12". Let's see if the upcoming warm spell wakes them up.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #115
Don Fischer
King Salmon

First time out this year, I got 4 crappie and two bass on crappie jig's. One bass was pretty nice, kept it.The other small and threw it back! haven't got one since and haven't fished for them either.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #116
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Anyone fished it recently? I'm heading up Tuesday for a few days.....
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #117
Mickeyyy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
Anyone fished it recently? I'm heading up Tuesday for a few days.....

I spent the weekend there at the state park with my 2 young kids and a friend with his son.

We only fished on Saturday from the boat. We found crappies in most of the coves that we pulled into, but some were more productive than others. Most of my time was spent handing off the rod to my kids ( 2yr old and 4yr old) so they could reel in the fish. So I wasn't doing any serious fishing.

The sheriff patrol came by for a safety inspection while we were on the water and told us to go troll around the north end past the No Wake bouys. So we headed up that way and were into the crappie along the submerged bushes. We fished about 10-15' out from the bushes and crappie were very willing to bite. We only kept 25. The kids must've lost about 50+ fish in their wild excitement with the rod jumping all over the place...LOL. It was great watching them.

I should clarify, the sheriff deputies were very friendly, they were trying to be helpful in directing us where to find the crappies to keep the kids entertained. It worked great!

Last edited by Mickeyyy; 06-17-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Mickeyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #118
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyyy View Post
I spent the weekend there at the state park with my 2 young kids and a friend with his son.

We only fished on Saturday from the boat. We found crappies in most of the coves that we pulled into, but some were more productive than others. Most of my time was spent handing off the rod to my kids ( 2yr old and 4yr old) so they could reel in the fish. So I wasn't doing any serious fishing.

The sheriff patrol came by for a safety inspection while we were on the water and told us to go troll around the north end past the No Wake bouys. So we headed up that way and were into the crappie along the submerged bushes. We fished about 10-15' out from the bushes and crappie were very willing to bite. We only kept 25. The kids must've lost about 50+ fish in their wild excitement with the rod jumping all over the place...LOL. It was great watching them.

I should clarify, the sheriff deputies were very friendly, they were trying to be helpful in directing us where to find the crappies to keep the kids entertained. It worked great!
Thanks! I will go try the upper end in the bushes where they were 2 months ago and after I learn they have moved will go hunting for them........
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #119
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
To ADRENALINE FROM ME Sometime I go without asking ? Thier NO crappies why would I want to wast my time n gas money to go without any crappies biting that why we have this form to get help n be a teamplayer am I right? So if u don't want to help then don't help.n tell me so I know next time don't ask u for any help ok so be nice people's am new here. And I did intorduce myself on a post but I didn't know have to do it here lol why u want everybody to know ur private information for lol. Anyway who ever want to help thank u for ur help.and whoever don't want to plz get out of my way thanks this is a teamplayer here ok not to get people upset n people come here to enjoy form like me ok thanks for understanding people have a good day and takecare!
You already have plenty of help/info on this board, you are wasting time, just go fishing. Look!, nobody gets special treatment, some of us have wasted plenty of time & money to find these good spots without any help, but are still willing to share that valuable info with complete strangers, if you want to make friends, be a team player, use the info already posted many times on this thread, go fishing, give your full report, & tell a full story about yourself.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #120
redhorseshoe
Coho

Put the boat in at powder house on Saturday and fished from about 8 until 1. Crappie were spread pretty thin in bear creek and surrounding areas. Talked to two other groups that said the same thing. Seemed like they were in small schools here and there. They did bite though once we found them. Caught on gray with red speckle jigs about 15 feet deep. We kept enough for dinner. Seems like upper end is the place to be at the moment, will be out again Saturday morning.
redhorseshoe is offline   Reply With Quote