Rufus/Maryhill Walleye? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
CowlitzKiller
Cutthroat

Default Rufus/Maryhill Walleye?

With coho fishing winding down, I was debating putting some walleye gear in the boat and going over for a day and trying to catch a few. Has anyone been trying for them? Jigging or trolling? I know I'll be after them again in the early spring...can't wait to catch some more of those tasty things.

CowlitzKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Default Re: Rufus/Maryhill Walleye?

I went to Rufus yesterday. We pulled plugs on 4 rods in Preachers Eddy, below the willows, and in front of the silo; didn’t catch anything but grass. We switched to worm harnesses / walkers for the last couple hours of the day, but they only attracted bass.

Conditions weren’t ideal yesterday; too sunny and exactly the wrong wind (10-15mph directly upstream had it stacked at times). Plus, I’m fairly new to fishing for eyes, so my lack of success may not mean that you won’t catch them. However, the fact that there were exactly zero other boats walleye fishing when we got there at 10am tells me that it hasn’t been hot lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
gottafish
King Salmon

Water is cold. Those fish are deep Like 40 plus feet. all you can do is jig for them right now. That said The last 2 years that area has been hammered with the limit restrictions being lifted. people routinely filled the coolers 100 plus fish. ive seen it. that area has been decimated. very sad
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
lundprov
Chromer

as sad as it sounds I seen a local guide up there keeping 8" fish and he was working on trying to fill a cooler
lundprov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundprov View Post
as sad as it sounds I seen a local guide up there keeping 8" fish and he was working on trying to fill a cooler
Sad and dumb. they wont be happy until the river is empty.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
apelily
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafish View Post
Sadly fish and game got what they wanted. Total decimation of the walleye population. Man can be greedy and destructive if allowed to. Oh well. Fun while it lasted.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Grizz86
Steelhead

It's the same story a little farther up river. Things got so slow that guides have been turning trips down since mid summer due to lack of fish/slow catch rates. Worse yet is we're coming into the big girl season and the asshats are out fishing all night for 10+ pounders with some taking them home for the table. Disgusting.
Grizz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #8
Fish mojo
Ifish Nate

I took advantage of the mild weather and light wind forecast and launched at Rufus yesterday. Zero trailers at the launch at 8:30. Jigged and blade baited up at the dam deadline for several hours. One hook up that came unbuttoned. Headed down river fishing the traditional spots. Zero fish and very few marks on the fish finder. Finished up again at the dam with nothing for the day. Also tried worm harness and plug pulling. Very disappointing. Time to start searching out some new locations. Nice day to be out and on the water. Only saw 3 other boats all day which were sturgeon fishing.
"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
Fish mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Smj
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundprov View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by apelily View Post
Sadly fish and game got what they wanted. Total decimation of the walleye population. Man can be greedy and destructive if allowed to. Oh well. Fun while it lasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz86 View Post
It's the same story a little farther up river. Things got so slow that guides have been turning trips down since mid summer due to lack of fish/slow catch rates. Worse yet is we're coming into the big girl season and the asshats are out fishing all night for 10+ pounders with some taking them home for the table. Disgusting.
(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Oh but......The river will be FILLED with salmon and steelhead in a few years! I might even buy a salmon tag for the wife and I again when all those fish come back!
Old 12-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smj View Post
(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Oh but......The river will be FILLED with salmon and steelhead in a few years! I might even buy a salmon tag for the wife and I again when all those fish come back!
You know I never have found a salmon or steel head smolt in the stomach of a walleye. They eat a lot of perch and small mouth fry. that kill all the walleye because they eat smolt is BS