Blade Baits and Jigs for Deep Water Walleye - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 11-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Default Blade Baits and Jigs for Deep Water Walleye

It always astonishes me the range of depth Walleye will occupy on the same day on the same body of water. Finding fish from 5' to 80' isn't uncommon. Jigging and blade baits offer an extremely effective way to target fish at depths great than 30' especially in current. I had a long day on the water that payed off with a hot blade bait bite late in the afternoon.

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Blade Baits and Jigs for Deep Water Walleye

Awesome video! What do you look for in terms of structure or cover? You mentioned depths are all over the map in the video but are you fishing big flats, edge of a drop, etc?

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollcast View Post
Awesome video! What do you look for in terms of structure or cover? You mentioned depths are all over the map in the video but are you fishing big flats, edge of a drop, etc?
I generally try to find large cobble on the edge of seams or eddies. They seem to congregate in those areas more so than ledges, drop offs, or flats. In a nutshell the interaction of the benthic structure and current seem to be most important.
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Great stuff. Nice fish. You must eat very well. When was the last time you ate chicken?
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Great stuff. Nice fish. You must eat very well. When was the last time you ate chicken?
Well I also raise chickens so quite recently...my freezer doth overflow.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
puckfisher
Chromer

I use blades in Canada for eyes. Fun to fish because they sink fast. Steady flutter when you lift rod goes right thru rod into your hands and strikes-can be crushing, not like jig bites which are very subtle most of the time. I always smear some scent in gel form generously on blades. Color does not seem to matter. My bent blades with paint near gone work well. Use braid with short fluorocarbon leader.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
I use blades in Canada for eyes. Fun to fish because they sink fast. Steady flutter when you lift rod goes right thru rod into your hands and strikes-can be crushing, not like jig bites which are very subtle most of the time. I always smear some scent in gel form generously on blades. Color does not seem to matter. My bent blades with paint near gone work well. Use braid with short fluorocarbon leader.
What scents work for eyes? I have a bunch of salmon scents in my boat (herring, shrimp, anise, sardine, garlic, bloody tuna, etc.) and one bottle that just says “walleye”. I haven’t fished for eyes enough to know which scents they like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
uplandsandpiper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
What scents work for eyes? I have a bunch of salmon scents in my boat (herring, shrimp, anise, sardine, garlic, bloody tuna, etc.) and one bottle that just says “walleye”. I haven’t fished for eyes enough to know which scents they like.

I use crawfish, garlic, or anise with great success.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandsandpiper View Post
Thank you; that gives me a place to start.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
puckfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandsandpiper View Post
I use scents on just about every artificial bait I fish with. The two I have used with walleyes are called minnow and walleye. I am a bit anal and try not to mix scents. Garlic and anise are both very strong and once on a lure they seem never to come off. I use them on trout and salmon. I did say I was anal. Many claims are made about scents. Hard to compare them unless you are a guide fishing targeted species everyday. There is no doubt in my mind that crappie nibbles added to crappie tail or skirt are very effective. I tried them with walleye jigs. I saw no effect. Are these scents effective because they attract or merely because they block human scent or the chemical smell of the rubber skirts and tails? If I use live or frozen minnows when allowed. I never use an additional scent then. Walleye are strange fish with interesting habits. They will refuse live minnows in their faces one day and slam pink jigs with white rubber tails the next. They hate clear skies and stay deep and lockjawed but move into super shallow water on rainy, windy days to gorge on baitfish. You need to hunt these fish and modify your techniques to the body of water you are fishing, sometimes by the hour.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote