BIG Game fishing. Rod Twist..............any such device? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
Bombadillo
Cutthroat

Default BIG Game fishing. Rod Twist..............any such device?

SO, I'm after some REALLY big sturgeon in SW Idaho, and I'm struggling with my rod rotating in my hand while fighting some of these beasts. Is there any kind of device that has been invented yet that you can hold onto the rod while fighting, that keeps your rod from twisting while in your hand. I'm thinking about creating something to keep your rod in place while using a casting reel, that will allow you to put your hand where you want it (up on the rod) and not having to keep it on the reel all the time to keep from twisting. Everything I need to do with the reel (except thumb the drag when it gets ripping) I can do with my right hand, and even then I can thumb it with my right hand too.

Anyway, just curious if anybody has thought of this, and watching Youtube videos, I'm seeing guys fighting good sized fish and their reel is ALL OVER the place while reeling in.

Watch this video of whomever this is, and watch the reel all over the place. It's not TERRIBLE, but there are others that are worse. This is just a thought that was coming to me. Let me know if I'm crazy, but going after white sturgeon and fighting for up to 90 minutes, some of these things are TOUGH to get landed. Keeping the rod stable would be amazing, and something to control it easier would also work wonders. I'll start with this thread, and see where the idea goes.

Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Default Re: BIG Game fishing. Rod Twist..............any such device?

Spiral wrapped rods take care of this.
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
Bombadillo
Cutthroat

I think we're talking about different things. I mean simply when reeling, not because a large fish is twisting the rod. While hooked up with a big oversized sturgeon, reeling the rod makes the rod twist back and forth because of the reciprocal motion of the hand up and down, and makes the rod twist back and forth. I'm thinking about making something to keep the rod still, while you are able to reel without the motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

How big of fish are we talking?
Probly need some kind of fighting belt that will clip to the real to help with the weight which in turn will reduce the desire for the reel to be offset from side to side . and possibly a harness strapped to land to avoid being pulled in . Sounds like your after BIG FISH ! Good luck post pictures .

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
fop
Ifish Nate

Years ago I had a broken wrist and couldn't hold my rod while reeling. I made, out of some tin flashing, a big fin and taped it on to the bottom end my rod butt. It worked great. I'm guessing it was about 8-9 inches?

I just tucked the fin under my arm pit.

fop

Last edited by fop; 11-03-2019 at 10:55 AM.
fop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
ClearCreek
Steelhead

I have watched people reel in all kinds and sizes of fish and it seems some anglers just have different reeling techniques that causes the reel to jump all over. Other folks can reel in big fish and the reel hardly moves from side to side. This side to side movement of the reel even happens with some people when the fish is less than 10 lbs. I think it is just reeling technique.

Just observe the way anglers cast spinning gear. Some can easily cast fairly light spinning outfits with one hand; while others use two hands and turn and contort their entire body to cast. Seems it is just the way they were taught or the way they figured it out on their own.

ClearCreek
ClearCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo View Post
I think we're talking about different things. I mean simply when reeling, not because a large fish is twisting the rod. While hooked up with a big oversized sturgeon, reeling the rod makes the rod twist back and forth because of the reciprocal motion of the hand up and down, and makes the rod twist back and forth. I'm thinking about making something to keep the rod still, while you are able to reel without the motion.
Nope, talking about the same thing. The spiral wrap will take care of it. The force the fish puts pulling on the rod with a spiral wrap will negate the leverage of the reel handle torquing and twisting the rod. Same reason a spinning rod doesn't torque over when reeling.

Some reels are better than others, the lower the handle crank center line is on the reel, the less torque arm it has to roll the reel over. Compare how high up the reel crank is on an abu 5-6000 reel with a low profile reel and you'll see why people with less hand strength like kids I take fishing have a much easier time reeling in big fish on certain reels vs others. Gearing of course plays a big role also. But spiral wrapping takes care of the issue.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Or you could wear a standup harness like used for Marlin and big tuna etc. Or gimbal butt rods with a notched fighting belt.

But you won't find a person with a spiral wrapped rod that would prefer to fish the old style rods I'm betting. My GF couldn't fight big fish without a spiral rod because of surgery issues leaving little strength to hold the rod straight in one arm. Spiral takes care of it.

Last edited by Quiet Riot; 11-03-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:48 PM   #9
2slow
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Spiral wrapped rods take care of this.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
denhambruce
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
denhambruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #11
Chukarhead
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Or you could wear a standup harness like used for Marlin and big tuna etc. Or gimbal butt rods with a notched fighting belt.

But you won't find a person with a spiral wrapped rod that would prefer to fish the old style rods I'm betting. My GF couldn't fight big fish without a spiral rod because of surgery issues leaving little strength to hold the rod straight in one arm. Spiral takes care of it.

These things...

Gimbal butt in a velcro fighting belt with a bolt would be cheap and cheerful. No need to reinvent that wheel.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

The twist starts because the guides are on top of the blank creates a moment arm, or torque to roll the rod over 180 degrees. The reel handle maybe contributing to your problem.

Spiral wrapped rods the harder the pull the straighter they will run. You could palm the rod and it wouldn't flip. One member her was fishing for halibut with a spiral wrapped rod and was completely surprised at the reduction in effort and when the color showed it was a butt over 100#

Try this experiment next time you have a big fish on, flip the rod over so the reel is on the bottom. Yes awkward but it will show you what happens when you eliminate the torque.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #13
Bombadillo
Cutthroat

For what it's worth I'm using an old heavy action tiger rod with a Shimano TLD. It is a purpose-built casting rod and has more than enough spine to reel in any fish out there. This thing is pulling in 400lb or more sturgeon with ease. I can usually grip the rod up fairly high and set the real against my arm and I do fairly well that way but you're talkin fish that take an hour to hour and a half sometimes to reel in with as many runs as they take out and it can get pretty tiring pretty quick. I was looking for something to negate the rod from twisting while being able to move my hand up and down about a 6in maybe 8 inch spread. That way my arm doesn't get as tired and I could even put it in the crook of my arm where my elbow is if need be. I finished last night and we got an 8-foot maybe 250 to 300 lb sturgeon on a spinning rod and I noticed my buddy was very relieved that he didn't have to use the Shimano TLD because he was scared to use it as well. I'm wondering if it's just the real geometry I might put on a Penn fathom and see how it does comparatively.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
Bombadillo
Cutthroat

also, what are the best ways to post photos here? I have some great photos of these fish that I'm willing to share and I'm sure you guys would like to see them but I'm not sure what the best way to set up a photo would be
Old 11-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #15
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

I still think the fighting belt i suggested earlier in the post with the harness that clips to the reel is your best option. It will allow you to rest your arms at times and still have pressure on the fish using your legs and back if you can find a spot to sit.

The negatives would be if your drag doesn't work or locks up like a direct drive scenario ! Then I would suggest having a partner or strap your self to land !
Good luck with your quest.

The picture thing on here is tough for some of us less savvy to the ifish protocol.

What size of line do you run ?

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #16
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I’ve noticed lots of people gripping the rod behind the reel, not in front.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #17
Snopro
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I’ve noticed lots of people gripping the rod behind the reel, not in front.
This for sure. I see it when people are fighting big salmon and halibut along with sturgeon. The more contact you have with the rod increases control. On a large fish I'll have my hand on the foregrip, inside of my wrist on the side of the reel, forearm on the rear grip, and butt in my hip or side. It would have helped the guy in the video.

Another thing exacerbating the issue of rod roll is holding the rod with the non dominant hand/arm. Reel with the weak hand and hold the rod with the dominant and it should decrease the problem.
Snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #18
Tinman

There are lots of ways to mitigate this problem.
* Narrower reels
* Use a fighting harness. This requires a reel with harness lugs
* Use a rod with a gimbal on the butt. The gimbal nock locks onto a cross-piece in the belt. It works like an arrow nock
* Spiral wrap rod, as others have mentioned
* Pullups, grip strengthers
* San Diego Long Range type tuna gear - short powerful rods, loads of drag

Last edited by Tinman; 11-05-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #19
Spinitrode
King Salmon

Quickest/cheapest/easiest solution is a gimbal butt and belt. Essentially just cut the old butt cap off and glue on the gimbal (obviously need to get the right size, maybe a little extra trimming of the butt grip, do the proper epoxy prep, etc). They're pretty common already for high-leverage saltwater gear to solve this exact problem; it has a notched key to lock the axis in vertically/horizontally. Spiral wrap may be the bee's knees, but obviously much harder to retrofit an old rod vs starting over w/ a new (custom:$$) stick.

Then you can use a simple rubber cap like for a crutch foot to cover the gimbal when not in use if you don't want to ding it up too much (since it's typically aluminum, like if you're standing the rod up on pavement or similar while loading/moving gear around).

Last edited by Spinitrode; 11-05-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote