Camp trailer recommdations or avoids - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
duckslayer
Ifish Nate

Default Camp trailer recommdations or avoids

We are in no hurry but will be in the market for a camp trailer in the next year or so. Any recommendation on brands to look at or avoid? Tips to look for? Thanks.

duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
sublloyd
Chromer

Default Re: Camp trailer recommdations or avoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
We are in no hurry but will be in the market for a camp trailer in the next year or so. Any recommendation on brands to look at or avoid? Tips to look for? Thanks.
Have only had one, and it was a Komfort and it was a pretty good unit.
sublloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
47sgs
Tuna!

I'm on about my 6th travel trailer. First thing I'd consider is your usage. If you're going to campgrounds primarily, get something small enough you can get in spaces, say one under 25 feet. If you're in RV parks, go south for the winter, a bigger size is really nice. Make sure to get a slide. My present one is 24 feet with 3 slides. The extra room is nice, and it's important for resale when you want to change. Everyone has their own ideas for floor plans, so look at enough of them to determine how you want it arranged. How much of the year will you use it, under what conditions? Do you need a 3 season, or 4 season trailer. I've had numerous models and brands. I like the 4 season trailers, short as I can get away with, and as much slide room as I can get. My preferred manufacturer is Outdoor RV, with Arctic Fox a close second.
47sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublloyd View Post
Have only had one, and it was a Komfort and it was a pretty good unit.
I have a 07 Komfort 252. Very well made trailer.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
duckslayer
Ifish Nate

Will be using it summer time camping at campgrounds with the wife and kids and hunting during November. Mainly just concerned with things (or brands to avoid). Good info on the length recommdations for being able to get into campground spots. Needs to sleep 4 and possibly 6 if the girls each brought a friend.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Califbill
Tuna!

My buddy’s Forest River had a weak frame. They actually paid for a rebuild. So if going hunting in a rough area, make sure it has a sturdy frame. I
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
Pinstriper
Chromer

Look into the construction. Things to avoid: wood framing, floors, sides, roof. Every trailer will eventually leak, or have a plumbing issue. Wood rots and grows mold. Aluminum and azdel do not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
Roady
Tuna!

Try renting a few different ones through RVShare to get a sense of what floor plans and features you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
Penobscot
King Salmon

Escape Trailers of British Columbia.
Penobscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #10
duckslayer
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penobscot View Post
Is this a recommended or avoid?
Old 09-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #11
Penobscot
King Salmon

Quote:
Is this a recommended or avoid?
Recommend
Penobscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:25 AM   #12
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

I'm not going to make a recommendation but will share this, and you are likely already aware, RV's in general are selling for a premium right now. Two main causes for this and both are Covid related. Manufacturing was shut down and is slowly coming back making the inventory low. The other is many folks cancelled travel planes due to Covid and started buying RV's to use for family vacations.
I too am considering a trailer but plan to watch the market for awhile to see how the demand may change once many of these first time RV'ers figure out camping isn't for them and start dumping their units perhaps this winter or next spring. My $0.02
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:32 AM   #13
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Northwood Manufacturing makes a sturdy quality product that holds resale very well. Their brands are Nash, Arctic Fox and Fox Mountain. We owned 2 Nash trailers, 25 and 29 foot, and never had a problem. We currently own a Rockwood (Forest River). We like the trailer but it’s definitely not as well built. For hunting I think you’ll want a sturdy frame. 25-30 ft length will give you the features you want while letting you get into some of the smaller camping spots. Once you get over 30’ you are limited.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:13 AM   #14
Soulakala
King Salmon

I would avoid the Ultra light models unless your going pull the unit with your smart car. Everything in those units is what I call mickey mouse. The floors are mostly sandwiched foam board, light but nearly impossible to repair. The outlets are held in with rotating plastic clips. The cabinet panels are a 1/8 inch composite, something resembling cardboard. If it has a slid out ask how you would get it in should the motor assembly fail and they do fail. We had one that the owners package included a 2" long square drive bit that went into the back of the motor should the motor die. I assumed I could put that into my cordless drill and power it in. But one day I thought I would see if it was possible. Well it was not, the space was too tight for the drill and almost impossible to reach with your hand. As it turned out I made up a 6' bit extension which provided contact with the motor. As it turned out the following year the motor died with the slide partially out.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:15 AM   #15
Rickster
Ifish Nate

Quote:
... Needs to sleep 4 and possibly 6 if the girls each brought a friend.
If the girls bring a friend, put all 4 in a tent! ;>)
Old 09-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #16
jlg
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-on-bend View Post
Northwood Manufacturing makes a sturdy quality product that holds resale very well. Their brands are Nash, Arctic Fox and Fox Mountain. We owned 2 Nash trailers, 25 and 29 foot, and never had a problem. We currently own a Rockwood (Forest River). We like the trailer but it’s definitely not as well built. For hunting I think you’ll want a sturdy frame. 25-30 ft length will give you the features you want while letting you get into some of the smaller camping spots. Once you get over 30’ you are limited.
Northwood also makes Outdoors RV.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #17
Chad D.
Tuna!

My brother was out at my place this afternoon to help us harvest our honey, and mentioned that his 2017 Fuzion 385 toy hauler is at the shop for a cracked frame. Fuzion is a Keystone product, and he has had many more than what I would think is an acceptable number of problems on a trailer that cost almost as much as my first home...

He is very careful with his gear, tows with a very modest stock height F-350 and has a high end fifth wheel hitch. Abuse is not a contributing factor, but is where the service manager tried to go without knowing anything about the setup. He has 12,000 miles on the trailer, and the service guy kept trying to blow it off as abuse, and then normal wear. Sounds like it is finally being handled, but after way too many conversations.. Apparently, the manufacturer that Keystone sources their frames through has had issues with this for a bit...

On the other side, I’ve heard very little bad about Outdoors RV.

What about Airstream? I know they’re expensive, but are they well built? You don’t see many of them, and I’ve always assumed it was due to cost.
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #18
47sgs
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg View Post

They are sister companies, but totally independent of each other. Both make great products.
47sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #19
jlg
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47sgs View Post
They are sister companies, but totally independent of each other. Both make great products.
"Totally independent" is a massive stretch. Common ownership, common components, common philosophy. They are separate operating units of the same company.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #20
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penobscot View Post
Bigfoot is also great. Only downside would be that I don't think you can get slides (I hate slides) and the prices. But you get what you pay for

4 girls with you and the Wife in a trailer? No thanks! Put them in a tent
SouthCoastStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #21
Johnandhis4x4
Chromer

Quote:

Love my ORV, built to camp off forest service roads and worse. Does good in a CG, but with solar and large water/black tanks why use a CG?
Old 09-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #22
uhmw
King Salmon

I bought a Genesis 28cr 5th wheel toy hauler last year before the panic. Very pleased with the quality. It has a on board generator, gas station , solar charger and a 100 gallon water tank for long off road camping which I do when Im hunting. I have a Anderson aluminum gooseneck 5th wheel hitch that weighs 40lbs and can be removed in 5 min. The 5th wheel is amazing when it comes to maneuvering. It is 30 ft long and 100% easier to maneuver then my old 26ft tow behind. Toy haulers are made extra heavy duty to handle cargo weight and go off road. Toy haulers typically have large wheels, high ground clearance and plumbing is tucked underneath for off road use. Having the convenience to load what ever you want/bikes, kayaks, atv, jet ski, extra tables and chairs is really useful. I also like to use the ramp deck. This is my third travel trailer and I think most Ideal for me is the toy hauler features and the 5th wheel maneuverability. I bought it in December (year end)at the rv show from Curtis and I had to wait for it to be delivered. At that time it was a good deal way below list price, now you can hardly find one and the $ are not being discounted much. I even think the small toy haulers would be the way to go if you were towing with a smaller rig.

Last edited by uhmw; 09-28-2020 at 10:24 AM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #23
Chad D.
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
I bought a Genesis 28cr 5th wheel toy hauler last year before the panic. Very pleased with the quality. It has a on board generator, gas station , solar charger and a 100 gallon water tank for long off road camping which I do when Im hunting. I have a Anderson aluminum gooseneck 5th wheel hitch that weighs 40lbs and can be removed in 5 min. The 5th wheel is amazing when it comes to maneuvering. It is 30 ft long and 100% easier to maneuver then my old 26ft tow behind. Toy haulers are made extra heavy duty to handle cargo weight and go off road. Toy haulers typically have large wheels, high ground clearance and plumbing is tucked underneath for off road use. Having the convenience to load what ever you want/bikes, kayaks, atv, jet ski, extra tables and chairs is really useful. I also like to use the ramp deck. This is my third travel trailer and I think most Ideal for me is the toy hauler features and the 5th wheel maneuverability. I bought it in December (year end)at the rv show from Curtis and I had to wait for it to be delivered. At that time it was a good deal way below list price, now you can hardly find one and the $ are not being discounted much. I even think the small toy haulers would be the way to go if you were towing with a smaller rig.

If you’re using a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter, please note that this will almost certainly void your frame warranty.

My bro learned this when his frame broke. He has not used one, but it was the first thing the manufacturer wanted to confirm. Almost to the point of accusing him of doing so...
Old 09-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #24
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

With kids look at bunk beds. And yes if they bring friends bring a tent or two. The bigger the slide area the more room. Go for a big slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #25
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Dont forget to add a hitch on the camp trailer so you can bring the boat along too! Also, dont try backing the boat down the ramp when configured that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7151b6d855da6465d57fbe3e5922acd8.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	754759  
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #26
Amahnee
King Salmon

That ain't legal in this state...
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #27
jlg
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahnee View Post
I thought you just needed a CDL?

Old 09-28-2020, 04:00 PM   #28
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Is it legal to replace the wheels/tires with rail wheels and use existing train tracks?
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #29
Big Willie
Tuna!

Quote:
Will be using it summer time camping at campgrounds with the wife and kids and hunting during November. Mainly just concerned with things (or brands to avoid). Good info on the length recommdations for being able to get into campground spots. Needs to sleep 4 and possibly 6 if the girls each brought a friend.
For hunting, make sure it is well insulated. Arctic Package, 4 Season package and the like. Those sometimes come with dual pain windows, which is good.

Did not have good luck with Keystone, it did not do well in off grid rougher roads camping. Have had great luck with the current Nash, much better build quality and holds up to our camping style. The Nash does really well in cold temps.

Our next trailer will be an Outdoors RV toy hauler, maybe a Genesis.

Team crappy coffee

Last edited by Big Willie; 09-29-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Big Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #30
Amahnee
King Salmon

Quote:
I thought you just needed a CDL?

Don't think so? It's legal in other states, just not here. Funny that a truck driver needs a CDL, but any 90 year old guy in a 40' diesel pusher can fly down the road with the same class C drivers license we all have. 😏
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #31
jlg
Tuna!

Quote:
Don't think so? It's legal in other states, just not here. Funny that a truck driver needs a CDL, but any 90 year old guy in a 40' diesel pusher can fly down the road with the same class C drivers license we all have.
Exain how it's different than doubles on the freeway from the trucking company? There is no question that it only requires the correct license.

You example of motor homes isn't relavent to the original question of doubles consistenting of a trailer and a second trailer behind it.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #32
Jaydub
Chromer

"818.110 Exceeding maximum number of vehicles in combination; civil liability; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of exceeding the maximum number of vehicles in combination if the person does any of the following: (a) Drives or moves on a highway any combination of vehicles that consists of more than two vehicles."

Among the exceptions:

"
(8) A truck tractor and semitrailer drawing one trailer or a truck tractor and semitrailer drawing one additional semitrailer mounted on a dolly equipped with a fifth wheel hitch may be operated on a highway without violation of the limits under ORS 818.110."
Jaydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #33
Afb
Tuna!

To tow double, or triple trailers in the state of Oregon, the tow vehicle must have a t plate f plate or a puck plate. The driver must have a commercial license, with a doubles/triple endorsement, and current medical. You are allowed to have ONE trailer with a ball hitch. Any further trailers must have either a 5th wheel hitch or a pintle hitch.
And you are not allowed to tow double with any vehicle that has an RV plate.

Last edited by Afb; 10-03-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Afb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #34
shanem
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
Dont forget to add a hitch on the camp trailer so you can bring the boat along too! Also, dont try backing the boat down the ramp when configured that way.

I think I could do it. ;-) I’m going get me an RV and try this next August on open B-10 day at Hammond. lol.

Old 10-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #35
Chad D.
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post

I think I could do it. 😉 I’️m going get me an RV and try this next August on open B-10 day at Hammond. lol.

https://youtu.be/k_0vkGURoMw

Didn’t we see you there last year??