2020 Official Archery Success thread!!!! - Page 4 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #181
winterkill
Sturgeon

I was able to tag a spike and my buddy got a 4pt.

Super cool experience to see my buddy who I have hunted with since I was a teenager get his first bull. We were following some tracks and saw a cow. I froze and jumped behind my buddy. A bull came out, I ranged him and my buddy made a perfect shot.

When I got my spike I was sneaking into an area where I knew the elk were hanging. Saw a spike, then another one. They started kind of touching horns and mock fighting. While they were distracted I was able to sneak into 40 yards and get an easy broadside shot. It was another perfect shot and the elk only went about 10 yards before going down.

Crazy season with the smoke, closures and dealing with various issues with my COVID antibody testing business, not to mention my normal 9-5 job. Feel very fortunate that I made it into the woods and got some fresh elk meat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_143052_1601328673106.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	754751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200928-101121_Gallery_1601328680688.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	754753  

winterkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #182
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterkill View Post
I was able to tag a spike and my buddy got a 4pt.

Super cool experience to see my buddy who I have hunted with since I was a teenager get his first bull. We were following some tracks and saw a cow. I froze and jumped behind my buddy. A bull came out, I ranged him and my buddy made a perfect shot.

When I got my spike I was sneaking into an area where I knew the elk were hanging. Saw a spike, then another one. They started kind of touching horns and mock fighting. While they were distracted I was able to sneak into 40 yards and get an easy broadside shot. It was another perfect shot and the elk only went about 10 yards before going down.

Crazy season with the smoke, closures and dealing with various issues with my COVID antibody testing business, not to mention my normal 9-5 job. Feel very fortunate that I made it into the woods and got some fresh elk meat.
Nice job winterkill!
Way to get it done!
Old 09-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #183
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Congratulations to those who were successful. Some nice bulls hit the dirt.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #184
OldGuysRule
Coho

Default Re: 2020 Official Archery Success thread!!!!

Impressive.
OldGuysRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #185
raised2hunt
Chromer

Thanks for posting the pics and stories everyone! I enjoyed them.
raised2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #186
bpurtz
Tuna!

We had pretty good action the first couple weeks of the season then for whatever reason the heart of the rut went weirdly silent.

Still, our camp did pretty good - I was able to participate in the recovery and pack out of 3 bulls during the course of the season. I experienced one of my most epic elk encounters ever, calling in an absolute monster bull to 10 yards for a 20 second full draw stare down - I wasn't able to get a shot because he stopped behind a tree that completely concealed his vitals, but it was still a thrilling adrenaline rush.

In the end, my hunting buddy tagged a 6x6, my son, Alek, tagged a 6x6 (his first archery elk! ) and thanks to my wife and her prayer group, I was fortunate to put an arrow into a 4x5 in the last few days of the season.

bpurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #187
raised2hunt
Chromer

That's really cool Bryce!
raised2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #188
fergy61
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'wyatt View Post
2020 just keeps getting crazier. Solo, otc backpack hunt. Oregon.
WOW!
John 3:16

fergy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #189
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

I havent posted on this forum in a while. But I'm still getting it done.

My long time hunting partner Rich called him in to 30 yards and I made the shot. It was 20 degrees standing in a foot of snow when I shot him.

Tracked him 2 miles as the crow flies, heard his death moans (which sounded exactly like a Grizzly bear growling btw)

Packed him out with my newish war horse Chester

We were pretty much out of the snow by the time we caught up to him. I've never seen any animal bleed so much. Incredibly tough animals.

Got him quartered and bagged and moved the meat 200 yards from the carcass before dark.

Went back in at first light and a Grizzly had dug into the front shoulder bags, and left with a hind quarter. We loaded very quickly and got out of there.

First time in my life I've ever lost meat over night. We salvaged over half.

Their population has continued to grow. In the fresh snow we cut tracks on pretty much every hunt.

Its always a Western adventure up there. We had some other call ins and shot opportunities. But that was our only elk this year.

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 09-30-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #190
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Good job GRB thats an exciting get your blood pumping hunt with grizzlies in the area. Thanks for posting
Old 09-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #191
jmelear
Fry

I've been stalking the threads here for years, figured I'd contribute for once. Hunted hard this year and had my share of ups and downs. Had a close encounter and messed up an opportunity at a good bull on Labor Day weekend and didn't get another opportunity until the 2nd to last day. Was sitting down for lunch and to reevaluate my next moves when I let out a couple cow calls. I was about to get up and head back to the truck when this bull caught my eye from 120 yards up the hill. He meandered through the thinned unit down toward me, wind in my face. When he hit 80 yards and slowed down to feed, I hit him with one more mew. He picked up his head and made a bee line to me. He stepped out on the old logging road at 54 yards. I had time to range him, dial to 55, draw back, stand and shoot. Once I saw the impact I knew this was a dead bull. He ran back up the hill where he came from, stumbled and fell. Double lung, clean pass through, no tracking required.

This was my first time breaking down an elk by myself. The hardest thing I've ever had to do while hunting...5x harder than the pack out. If anyone has any tips on how to navigate the rear quarters, please chime in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk 2020.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	754863  
jmelear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #192
bpurtz
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelear View Post

This was my first time breaking down an elk by myself. The hardest thing I've ever had to do while hunting...5x harder than the pack out. If anyone has any tips on how to navigate the rear quarters, please chime in.
Congrats! It's always going to be more difficult solo, but if you're not already doing the gutless method, watch a video and give it a try. Hams - just start at the top and filet around the pelvis until you get to the ball joint - once you cut the ball joint out, cut the tendons on the inside near the genitals and follow cutting the tissue around the natural curve of the front of the ham. 80+ pounds will still be difficult to manage solo. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #193
jmelear
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpurtz View Post
Congrats! It's always going to be more difficult solo, but if you're not already doing the gutless method, watch a video and give it a try. Hams - just start at the top and filet around the pelvis until you get to the ball joint - once you cut the ball joint out, cut the tendons on the inside near the genitals and follow cutting the tissue around the natural curve of the front of the ham. 80+ pounds will still be difficult to manage solo. Good luck.
Thanks. Yeah, that's already my method of choice, but like you said, holding up an 80lb ham while trying to cut it loose was tough to manage. Not to mention rolling the thing to side two
Thinking about packing a come-along and pulley for the next solo hunt.
jmelear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #194
DogZilla15
King Salmon

+1 on pulley. Like an extra set of hands. Nice shot.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #195
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelear View Post
I've been stalking the threads here for years, figured I'd contribute for once. Hunted hard this year and had my share of ups and downs. Had a close encounter and messed up an opportunity at a good bull on Labor Day weekend and didn't get another opportunity until the 2nd to last day. Was sitting down for lunch and to reevaluate my next moves when I let out a couple cow calls. I was about to get up and head back to the truck when this bull caught my eye from 120 yards up the hill. He meandered through the thinned unit down toward me, wind in my face. When he hit 80 yards and slowed down to feed, I hit him with one more mew. He picked up his head and made a bee line to me. He stepped out on the old logging road at 54 yards. I had time to range him, dial to 55, draw back, stand and shoot. Once I saw the impact I knew this was a dead bull. He ran back up the hill where he came from, stumbled and fell. Double lung, clean pass through, no tracking required.

Very nice job! Congratulations!

Rear hams are tough. I always tip them forward and then back while running the knife keeping the quarter on top of the cavity until cut loose. Then I Open the game bag and lay it along side the elk and with two hands set the quarter on the game bag and pull up around the hock. It get really difficult when you put a ham and a should on your pack board and try and stand. It would make a great video I'm sure. I think my days are done with that but the last bunch I have gotten solo or with one other partner have been brought out half at a time.

My favorite is to take two back boards and put half each. Then hop scotch them to the truck going just a couple hundred yards at a time. Going back to get the one you dropped empty makes you feel like your walking on air with out the pack on. I always try to find a stump, log or rock to set it on to avoid getting it off the ground again. I have always just pushed to get them out and hanging in camp for some reason. It is a job I like behind me.

Last edited by Reel fortunate; 09-30-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #196
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Spot on. With gutless method. The skin off one side you can lay the ham on the skinned carcass as it comes loose. Let it lay on the carcass as you slip it into a bag. Easier with help. Totally doable solo

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 09-30-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:44 PM   #197
barhop
Steelhead

Anyone hear from the “coasthunter” (at least I think that is close to the moniker) crew?
I hope we didn’t loose another good one. I love reading about how he and his family do on archery elk and later in November bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #198
winterkill
Sturgeon

Congrats on the awesome bull and thanks for sharing! Sometimes when all seems lost elk just appear.

In regards to skinning and gutting, carry paracord in your pack and tie legs to brush/trees in the direction you need them to go. Roll the elk on one side, then the other. Tie hind legs towards the head to get the rump. Use gravity as much as possible. Not a fan of the gutless method because I try to get as much meat as possible off my elk, but to each their own.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:53 AM   #199
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

What meat do you think is missed with gutless method?
Old 10-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #200
joe_camo
King Salmon

A successful archery hunt is something to be celebrated by using the whole animal and not just those parts that are easy to peel off without making much of a mess.

If pack animals are available to assist getting an animal off the mountain there is really no excuse to get everything. If the weather is cold it is easy to hang the meat in trees to keep scavengers from getting any and then take time to get everything out.

The ribs of an elk are several fantastic meals, so is the heart and the liver.

Then there are the tender loins than are often left behind with the gutless method. I just finished off a fantastic chili verde using the tender loins.

Cooking with the caul fat of an elk is something that should not be missed - the gutless method leaves the caul fat in the field.

Elk skirt steak is something that should never be missed - a prime cut that gets left behind using the gutless method.

"I need to get inside the carcass to retrieve the heart, liver, tenderloins, skirt, caul fat and rib racks. What’s the point in doing this gutless ******** if you need to open the thing up anyway to retrieve the gold?” In other words, if you want to make the most out of your kill then you may as well just gut your animal first." Steve Rinella

Another issue with gutless is body heat of an ungutted elk. Dead elk retain a lot of body heat, even in cold weather, and this can have a negative impact on the meat. The weight of the internal organs also make it much more difficult to maneuver and elk while quartering.

Last edited by joe_camo; 10-03-2020 at 10:30 AM.
joe_camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #201
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Joe.... You make it sound like the gutless method is also a meatless method. I guess it's no different than folks breasting birds simply because it's easy, not necessarily ethical. I don't think the gutless method is an invitation not to take everything edible, it's just what some people do.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #202
bpurtz
Tuna!

This is my hunting buddy preparing elk heart at camp:

In the front is a pork loin wrapped in elk caul fat:

The coyotes, bears, and birds were pretty disappointed because of what I left behind after the gutless breakdown...
Old 10-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #203
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
This is my hunting buddy preparing elk heart at camp:

In the front is a pork loin wrapped in elk caul fat:

The coyotes, bears, and birds were pretty disappointed because of what I left behind after the gutless breakdown...
Excellent work! You set the bar very high on this one!

I have seen the heart and tenderloins recovered by cutting into the "guts" after the quarters have been removed using the gutless method but never the caul fat. Could you please give a tutorial on how you recovered the caul fat (fat distributed in the small and large intestine) without getting into the "guts"?

How did you guys cook up the ribs, liver and skirt steak?

Thanks for posting and thank you for using all of the animal.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #204
TrailBlazer
Ifish Nate

I got zero issues with leaving heart, liver, intestine fat?? behind.....As long as there is not blatant waste then it is a personal preference and not something we should try and make others feel bad or less of a hunter about.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #205
Orion
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer View Post
I got zero issues with leaving heart, liver, intestine fat?? behind.....As long as there is not blatant waste then it is a personal preference and not something we should try and make others feel bad or less of a hunter about.
+1

Orion

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.
—Rod Serling
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #206
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Joe likes to follow me around and find things to criticize. He’s been banned from copying my posts.

I’ve quartered elk the old way. Splitting the rib cage with a meat saw.

I’ve cut and wrapped my own meat for well over 30 years. We make sausage at home. I take every scrap of meat.

My daughter would never let me leave a heart behind. Elk heart for dinner on the night we cut and wrap is a tradition. You can slice the the side of the rib cage to get the heart. Tenderloins come out the third rib from the back.

We take rib meat, neck meat, brisket etc because I love ground elk meat.

No one I know eats elk liver. Or internal fat. Whatever. We do however use the leg bones to make elk stock.

Not sure the point you’re making about heat retained when all that’s left is guts and bones.

All meat gets cut off bone eventually. You just do more of it up front with gutless.

I’ve seen Steve Rinella bone out game to pack it out. I don’t think he took ribs or intestine fat.

I’ve fed my family a lot of elk meat in the past several decades. And don’t leave usable meat.

Of the 50 or so elk that I’ve been part of packing out. Exactly 2 came out whole.

We are typically in roadless areas with horses or packboards to get them out. Add Grizzlies to the mix and we always act quickly to have them boned and bagged within an hour or two. We all carry our own meat bags and rope

I’d be happy to have any game cop inspect a carcass I’ve left in the field.

You’re welcome to eat all the liver you’d like.

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 10-04-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #207
bpurtz
Tuna!

I start by cutting the hide along the backbone - tail to skull - then skin and peel the hide down the side. If I'm going to save the hide, I tube out the front leg - otherwise cut from below the leg joint up to the top.

* remove front shoulder
* filet the various layers of meat covering the ribs, neck, brisket
* remove backstrap
* remove back ham
* remove back loin - this can be tricky - you have to push guts to expose and cut the loin out.
* cut out flank meat - this exposes the caul fat - you just have to be careful with delicate cuts and the caul will easily pull out. Drape the caul fat over a clean log and in about an hour (in warm weather) it will dry out to a rubbery pliable texture that you can simply fold up to haul out. Cutting out the flank also exposes the skirt - you might have to push the gut a little, but you just filet along the inside of the rib/chest and along the diaphragm. If the gut has been punctured I don't take the caul or any "dirty" meat.
* cut out rib meat
* cut top joints of first four ribs to remove both sides of front loin
* pull those 4 ribs down and you can remove the heart

Flip the animal over - brush any dirt off of the hide and start from the top of the list. I don't take the liver - nobody in my family will eat it. I have eaten the tongue - made good tacos. I used to not take the heart until a buddy showed me how to properly prepare it.

I take my wild game to The Meating Place - flank, skirt, rib meat, neck all go into scrap that is processed into either burger, Italian Sausage, Jalapeno Cheddar Smoked Sausage, or Jalapeno Cheddar Pepperoni. I also love their jerky and have been known to send the backstrap in for the best jerky you could ever dream of...

Last edited by bpurtz; 10-03-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #208
winterkill
Sturgeon

It's awesome that you guys are able to get all that meat with the gutless method. My earlier comment was based on videos I've watched that leave a lot of meat behind. Wasn't a criticism, like I said, to each their own.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:45 AM   #209
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
I start by cutting the hide along the backbone - tail to skull - then skin and peel the hide down the side. If I'm going to save the hide, I tube out the front leg - otherwise cut from below the leg joint up to the top.

* remove front shoulder
* filet the various layers of meat covering the ribs, neck, brisket
* remove backstrap
* remove back ham
* remove back loin - this can be tricky - you have to push guts to expose and cut the loin out.
* cut out flank meat - this exposes the caul fat - you just have to be careful with delicate cuts and the caul will easily pull out. Drape the caul fat over a clean log and in about an hour (in warm weather) it will dry out to a rubbery pliable texture that you can simply fold up to haul out. Cutting out the flank also exposes the skirt - you might have to push the gut a little, but you just filet along the inside of the rib/chest and along the diaphragm. If the gut has been punctured I don't take the caul or any "dirty" meat.
* cut out rib meat
* cut top joints of first four ribs to remove both sides of front loin
* pull those 4 ribs down and you can remove the heart

Flip the animal over - brush any dirt off of the hide and start from the top of the list. I don't take the liver - nobody in my family will eat it. I have eaten the tongue - made good tacos. I used to not take the heart until a buddy showed me how to properly prepare it.

I take my wild game to The Meating Place - flank, skirt, rib meat, neck all go into scrap that is processed into either burger, Italian Sausage, Jalapeno Cheddar Smoked Sausage, or Jalapeno Cheddar Pepperoni. I also love their jerky and have been known to send the backstrap in for the best jerky you could ever dream of...
Thanks for the detailed explanation, I will give this a shot next chance I get. Except for cutting out the rib meat - there is nothing I look more forward to than wild game ribs.

one of the best things about these forums is the sharing of ideas. If one leaves themselves open to learning the sky is the limit.

Who else here learned Grizzly bears can climb trees to rip into elk quarters? New one for me, seen wolverines do it but never a grizzly. With that gained knowledge I am not leaving anymore meat out overnight in Grizzly country.