2020 Official Archery Success thread!!!! - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #61
piscean
Tuna!

Default Re: 2020 Official Archery Success thread!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'wyatt View Post
A 4 year quest for a legendary buck ended on monday morning at 30 yards. 207 2/8 gross
Congrats! Holy cow ..what a toad!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #62
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Quote:
A 4 year quest for a legendary buck ended on monday morning at 30 yards. 207 2/8 gross
Stud

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Call Sign: Leadbetter
willametteriveroutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #63
Extrapale
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Slayer View Post
Got lucky Saturday evening! 18 yard shot and went about 15 before he piled up. Gonna be a tough blacktail to beat in the future...
Great blacktail. Congrats DS.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Hunter and anglers actively support wildlife conservation through tangible actions such as buying licenses and paying taxes on hunting, fishing and shooting equipment. Why? Because people place added value on — and are willing to pay for — what they can use.
Extrapale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #64
Bladdershy
Tuna!

Haven't done much archery hunting when the smoke is out. What's all your opinions about how it affect the game. Do you need to still worry about scent protection as much? Is stalking easier?
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #65
BarbDeep
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladdershy View Post
Haven't done much archery hunting when the smoke is out. What's all your opinions about how it affect the game. Do you need to still worry about scent protection as much? Is stalking easier?

Noise and Smell. The way I understand it animals are able to single out scents. The smoke can't hurt for cover scent, but I'm don't think it will help either, S*** still smells like S*** when the aerosol can is sprayed. One thing I can't speak to but maybe someone else can, would be the question of does heavy heavy smoke and very poor air quality effect their sinus cavity... I know it had a bad affect on mine...
Old 09-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #66
winterkill
Sturgeon

The smoke is like being surrounded by a carbon filter, right?
winterkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #67
shouldbehunting
Tuna!

It's a free Hecs suit for a couple days!!

Last edited by shouldbehunting; 09-08-2020 at 08:35 PM.
shouldbehunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #68
flyjunky
Tuna!

Quote:

That's what I'm talking about!!! Great buck
flyjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #69
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

not sure if i was driving through Utah or Wyoming because its all kind of a blur but I took the cruise control off 93 and made the ol lady wake up and click a pic of about the only thing that can get your heart pumping on a drive to Indiana other than a simi cutting you off. Score? 388 5/8😉
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3845.jpg
Views:	1417
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	753677  
Newclear Fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #70
flyjunky
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newclear Fishin View Post
not sure if i was driving through Utah or Wyoming because its all kind of a blur but I took the cruise control off 93 and made the ol lady wake up and click a pic of about the only thing that can get your heart pumping on a drive to Indiana other than a simi cutting you off. Score? 388 5/8😉

yep, that's a nice one
flyjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #71
morelk
Chromer

Great buck ol'wyatt!

I wasn't expecting to get an elk this year as I've been spending most of my hunting time trying to help my boys in their first year of archery. Happy to have this one in the freezer and able to enjoy the rest of the season with the boys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020 Spike elk - Levi.PNG
Views:	1616
Size:	803.3 KB
ID:	753697  
morelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #72
BudW
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelk View Post
Great buck ol'wyatt!

I wasn't expecting to get an elk this year as I've been spending most of my hunting time trying to help my boys in their first year of archery. Happy to have this one in the freezer and able to enjoy the rest of the season with the boys.
So no one has camouflage on, am I doing something wrong or did everyone get cleaned up for the photo shoot?
BudW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #73
morelk
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudW View Post
So no one has camouflage on, am I doing something wrong or did everyone get cleaned up for the photo shoot?
I've got camo on. Family was close by so I went and got them to be involved and help me load it out whole. First time I've gotten one out whole since I was 13. Obviously we weren't 10 miles into the backcountry for this one.
morelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #74
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Finally sealed the deal. Yup it's a smaller buck but can't eat the horns and after passing so many last year and eating tag soup it would not be the case this year. I passed on a smaller buck than this earlier in the season but I said to myself this year any legal buck, nah wait for a fork or better. I have been working out of town traveling so time is not on my side for hunting. I missed a nice 3x3 twice opening day, excitement. Actually missed this buck two hours earlier giving him a hair cut across the top of his back, came back to the area and not 100 yards from where I had him earlier he was bedded. Stalked in and sealed the deal. Some great animals on here this year good job everyone it's been tough very dry and really smokey.

Name:	buck1.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	753915

Name:	buck2.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	753917
Old 09-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #75
Haslebacher
Tuna!

Thumbs up , Bull down.
Was in the right place at the right time last weekend and will take it. The level 3 evacuation almost cost me the straps and loin at home this week. Huge shout out to our troopers for giving me a few minutes to run up the hill once the power got cut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Elk 2020.jpg
Views:	1247
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	753923  

Last edited by Haslebacher; 09-13-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Haslebacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #76
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Luv2.... Good you got right at the work.... and nice buck. Cool stuff.....
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:10 PM   #77
winterkill
Sturgeon

Smart to take the buck, Luv2! Your time in the woods is the real trophy and the meat is the most important part anyways.

Haslebacher, great work! Those 4 pointers are the perfect balance between tenderness and quantity of meat! Did you call him in or did you sneak in the herd?

To the rest of us who are hoping to fill tags - Do your rain dance!
winterkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #78
Twitch
King Salmon

My turn

Lucky #13 on the 13th. Since the season started, we sold a house, bought a house, moved (well, all our crap is still stacked around the new place, covered in ash) and then the woods shut down. I thought my season was done. I had a friend offer a small piece of property that “sometimes has elk”, and my wife said to take a break from the house and go hunt. Sat off to the side of a good looking trail and did two cow calls, and 5 minutes later this guy came strolling along. Pass through, arrow stuck in a tree and he fell 8 yards from it. Meat in the freezer, not a year to be picky! Good luck to everyone still hunting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arrow 2020.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	753973   Click image for larger version

Name:	elk 2020.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	753975   Click image for larger version

Name:	dropped.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	753977  
Old 09-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #79
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Nice.... Love that last photo.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #80
ChrisR
Coho

Nice Eric!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
ChrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #81
the-next-one
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
My turn

Lucky #13 on the 13th. Since the season started, we sold a house, bought a house, moved (well, all our crap is still stacked around the new place, covered in ash) and then the woods shut down. I thought my season was done. I had a friend offer a small piece of property that “sometimes has elk”, and my wife said to take a break from the house and go hunt. Sat off to the side of a good looking trail and did two cow calls, and 5 minutes later this guy came strolling along. Pass through, arrow stuck in a tree and he fell 8 yards from it. Meat in the freezer, not a year to be picky! Good luck to everyone still hunting.
Living right, well rewarded. Nice work!! Isn't it great when they tip over in sight?
the-next-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #82
Haslebacher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterkill View Post
Smart to take the buck, Luv2! Your time in the woods is the real trophy and the meat is the most important part anyways.

Haslebacher, great work! Those 4 pointers are the perfect balance between tenderness and quantity of meat! Did you call him in or did you sneak in the herd?

To the rest of us who are hoping to fill tags - Do your rain dance!
Hey winter, I was able to sneak in front of the herd as they were traveling. Watched the cows go by and he came in tow a few seconds later. Stopped him with a cow call and sent it.
Haslebacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #83
BackcountryRentals

So here's the deal... My wife is amazing

Long post warning: read if you wish

For months Nicole has been shooting her bow, hiking, shopping, working her tail off running business and still maintaining a social life. She cooks, she cleans, she gets the groceries, she keeps me in line... Everything

Thursday evening after work we left for elk camp. We show up in the middle of the night, sleep for a few hours and she's up before daylight ready to go. Friday morning we glass up this big bull a few miles away. I don't have any issues with how people choose to hunt. But, we prefer to spot and stock. Not because it's easiest or most effective, but it's because we like the challenge, the waiting, the running, the hustle. It also allows us to target big bulls instead of shooting the first thing that shows up to water under a stand. Again, I'm not bashing anyone who hunts different or anyone who's happy to harvest smaller animals. We do this for food and we also do this for the challenge. We hunt big bulls.

We sit and watch this bull till mid morning when he finally beds. Hike the couple miles in to get below him and had perfect timing. Just 15 minutes after we get him back in the spotting scope he stands up to feed in the evening. After discussing the best plan of action, we decided to set up on a well used game trail and give him a few irresistible cow calls. He screams at us, cow call, closer bugle, cow call and yet closer again.. he's coming! About 5 minutes later and Nicole spots him through the juniper trees 100 yards away, he's circling fast to get down wind. Time to RUN! We back out and sprint 150 yards down hill, cut in and he had us beat. I look at Nicole and tell her we have to run faster, he's still going below us. We back out, sprint full speed another 150 yards, cut in and there he is. Comes out broadside at 50 yards and twack! With a poor blood trail and less then ideal tracking conditions we backed out for the night.

Saturday morning after some time and effort we find her bull. Work him up, hang quarters and it's pack time! We took both hind quarters out to the truck, got service and called for reinforcements. Ryan and Craig didn't hesitate... "Where and when are we meeting"?

Sunday morning the crew hiked back in, loaded up the rest of the bull and our camp and had one more big push back out. I'm so thankful to have such good friends for these miserable spots elk live.

Elk hunting will push you. It's an emotional rollercoaster that any successful hunter understands. From high to low and back in seconds. From exhausted to jacked with one bugle. From jumping up and down excited to crying with a missed shot. Physically and mentally this one got to us. On the hike out Saturday, Nicole said something I don't think I've ever heard her say in over 4 years: I Can't keep going. With a mature bulls hind quarter on her back and a near vertical climb, she didn't think she could keep going. But, she did. One foot in front of the other, just keep going. It's a lesson in life, and it reminds us every year what we are made out of and what we are able to do when we keep chipping away at something. Not only did she pack that quarter to the truck that day up an 800 foot vertical rock chute, she hiked back in the next day and did it again.

On top of all that grit and determination, Nicole is donating elk meat to families in need right now. What a woman!

Come together, keep chipping away and rebuild. Elk hunting is life lessons that a school cannot teach.

Good luck to all the other hunters this fall!

-David

Attached is Nicole’s 2020 Oregon public land, OTC tag, archery bull
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B2897BFD-774E-471A-83C3-E6E1C3C6EAE2_1600184252045.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	754057   Click image for larger version

Name:	5B01EC6A-5E1D-4D09-9AD5-11E4565FDA86_1600184311254.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	754059  

Last edited by BackcountryRentals; 09-15-2020 at 08:46 AM.
BackcountryRentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #84
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Nice bull !!!
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #85
StrawberryMTN
Tuna!

What a bull! Nice work! Doesn't look all that steep
StrawberryMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #86
Mountain Climber
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Nice.... Love that last photo.
I was going to say that! Ha! Yeah, great shot, great photo!
Mountain Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #87
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

Awesome everyone!
Old 09-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #88
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackcountryRentals View Post

For months Nicole has been shooting her bow, hiking, shopping, working her tail off running business and still maintaining a social life. She cooks, she cleans, she gets the groceries, she keeps me in line... Everything

Thursday evening after work we left for elk camp. We show up in the middle of the night, sleep for a few hours and she's up before daylight ready to go. Friday morning we glass up this big bull a few miles away. I don't have any issues with how people choose to hunt. But, we prefer to spot and stock. Not because it's easiest or most effective, but it's because we like the challenge, the waiting, the running, the hustle. It also allows us to target big bulls instead of shooting the first thing that shows up to water under a stand. Again, I'm not bashing anyone who hunts different or anyone who's happy to harvest smaller animals. We do this for food and we also do this for the challenge. We hunt big bulls.

We sit and watch this bull till mid morning when he finally beds. Hike the couple miles in to get below him and had perfect timing. Just 15 minutes after we get him back in the spotting scope he stands up to feed in the evening. After discussing the best plan of action, we decided to set up on a well used game trail and give him a few irresistible cow calls. He screams at us, cow call, closer bugle, cow call and yet closer again.. he's coming! About 5 minutes later and Nicole spots him through the juniper trees 100 yards away, he's circling fast to get down wind. Time to RUN! We back out and sprint 150 yards down hill, cut in and he had us beat. I look at Nicole and tell her we have to run faster, he's still going below us. We back out, sprint full speed another 150 yards, cut in and there he is. Comes out broadside at 50 yards and twack! With a poor blood trail and less then ideal tracking conditions we backed out for the night.

Saturday morning after some time and effort we find her bull. Work him up, hang quarters and it's pack time! We took both hind quarters out to the truck, got service and called for reinforcements. Ryan and Craig didn't hesitate... "Where and when are we meeting"?

Sunday morning the crew hiked back in, loaded up the rest of the bull and our camp and had one more big push back out. I'm so thankful to have such good friends for these miserable spots elk live.

Elk hunting will push you. It's an emotional rollercoaster that any successful hunter understands. From high to low and back in seconds. From exhausted to jacked with one bugle. From jumping up and down excited to crying with a missed shot. Physically and mentally this one got to us. On the hike out Saturday, Nicole said something I don't think I've ever heard her say in over 4 years: I Can't keep going. With a mature bulls hind quarter on her back and a near vertical climb, she didn't think she could keep going. But, she did. One foot in front of the other, just keep going. It's a lesson in life, and it reminds us every year what we are made out of and what we are able to do when we keep chipping away at something. Not only did she pack that quarter to the truck that day up an 800 foot vertical rock chute, she hiked back in the next day and did it again.

On top of all that grit and determination, Nicole is donating elk meat to families in need right now. What a woman!

Come together, keep chipping away and rebuild. Elk hunting is life lessons that a school cannot teach.

-David

Great job on a beautiful bull. Lucky you were able to spot that bull so far away. Your timing on all accounts sound perfect with the smoke and all.
Congratulations on a trophy
Old 09-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #89
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2fish View Post
Finally sealed the deal. Yup it's a smaller buck but can't eat the horns and after passing so many last year and eating tag soup it would not be the case this year. I passed on a smaller buck than this earlier in the season but I said to myself this year any legal buck, nah wait for a fork or better. I have been working out of town traveling so time is not on my side for hunting. I missed a nice 3x3 twice opening day, excitement. Actually missed this buck two hours earlier giving him a hair cut across the top of his back, came back to the area and not 100 yards from where I had him earlier he was bedded. Stalked in and sealed the deal. Some great animals on here this year good job everyone it's been tough very dry and really smokey.
Attachment 753915

Attachment 753917

Nice job on the buck he will eat well.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #90
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslebacher View Post
Thumbs up , Bull down.
Was in the right place at the right time last weekend and will take it. The level 3 evacuation almost cost me the straps and loin at home this week. Huge shout out to our troopers for giving me a few minutes to run up the hill once the power got cut.

Thats a dandy!
My favorite size for table fair!
Good job
Old 09-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #91
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelk View Post
Great buck ol'wyatt!

Nice bull and nothing funner than sharing with family! (Accept watching your arrow sink in)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #92
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
My turn [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/smile1.gif[/IMG]

Nice one twitch! like you mentioned in a tough year its not the time to be choose. I hope to do the same soon.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #93
Bobb-R-Down
Steelhead

Punched my tag a while back.
2020 was one of the most action packed season I've had in a while. Had just about everything happen from screaming bulls to close calls passed bulls and even a miss. Never had a day without excitement couldn't pass up the easy pack out and let one fly on this guy.... Lol

Smoken' Barrels & Sizzlen' Arrows, When I get the drop their hearts will stop.
Bobb-R-Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #94
StrawberryMTN
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb-R-Down View Post

Punched my tag a while back.
2020 was one of the most action packed season I've had in a while. Had just about everything happen from screaming bulls to close calls passed bulls and even a miss. Never had a day without excitement couldn't pass up the easy pack out and let one fly on this guy.... Lol
Good eats!!! Great job!
Old 09-15-2020, 09:52 PM   #95
TrailBlazer
Ifish Nate

Was planning on a blind by this wallow but ended up putting a tree stand up...great decision as the animals were around and not bothered by it at all. Missed what may have been the same bull the afternoon before but not sure as it happened very quick!
This guy bugled his way to me and after 20 minutes his cows showed...10 min after he appeared and while out of range I got to watch and listen to him...very cool and heart attack inducing!
After cows fed under me and into timber he rushed a little spike who happened by and stopped 35 yards away. After the shot he was stumbling right in front of me..he laid down and I thought it was over but after a minute he got up and stumbled forward...and died right in the middle of the wallow! Lucky I had family hunting near by to text and I was able to sit back and take in the whole thing....and try to stop shaking...lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200913_080321.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	754149   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_080915.jpg
Views:	1173
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	754151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_113206.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	754153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_082000.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	754155  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:45 AM   #96
M combs
Chromer

Some nice bulls being taken
M combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:22 AM   #97
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer View Post
Was planning on a blind by this wallow but ended up putting a tree stand up...great decision as the animals were around and not bothered by it at all. Missed what may have been the same bull the afternoon before but not sure as it happened very quick!
This guy bugled his way to me and after 20 minutes his cows showed...10 min after he appeared and while out of range I got to watch and listen to him...very cool and heart attack inducing!
After cows fed under me and into timber he rushed a little spike who happened by and stopped 35 yards away. After the shot he was stumbling right in front of me..he laid down and I thought it was over but after a minute he got up and stumbled forward...and died right in the middle of the wallow! Lucky I had family hunting near by to text and I was able to sit back and take in the whole thing....and try to stop shaking...lol.

Way to go Trailblazer! Awesome bull and hunt!
Congratulations
Old 09-16-2020, 07:23 AM   #98
Mountain Climber
Coho

Quote:
Wow! Hunting next to the freeway! I'm going to have to try that next time! Ha! Great bull, great story! Congratulations!
Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #99
kodiakfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Great job what a monster!
Old 09-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #100
StrawberryMTN
Tuna!

Quote:
I guess sitting over a wallow does work! I like the spot. nice work!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #101
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
My turn

You made a very nice shot. Congratulations on your hunt and punching your tag.
joe_camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #102
BarbDeep
Chromer

Quote:

Watching them die is my least favorite part of hunting. Knowing exactly where they are and that they went quick is always nice though. Good to hear they're bugling seemed like they were shutdown last weekend. Great bull!!

Last edited by BarbDeep; 09-16-2020 at 12:39 PM.
BarbDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #103
tmarsh38
Coho

Some awesome animals so far!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
tmarsh38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #104
TheRogue
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackcountryRentals View Post

-David

Congrats from her home town!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A feral horse is a free-roaming horse of domesticated ancestry. As such, a feral horse is not a wild animal in the sense of an animal without domesticated ancestors.
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #105
Kenamatic
Tuna!

Well, with all the closures because of fires had me thinking my elk season was about done. I went to a friend's property to see if the bears were in there yet and when I got out saw what appeared to be fresh elk tracks. I started quietly sneaking through the thick brush cow calling occasionally when I made some noise. Just as I was stepping over a log supporting my weight with my release hand I heard a lot of cow noise, some brush crashing and a spike running right at me and stopping at 10 yards. I was screwed and he looked at me a few seconds then trotted back where he came from. I cow called a few times but he didn't come back. I inched forward a few feet and then heard a crack. I look to my left and see antler tips coming up the hill. I drew and got to one knee as he came into a slight opening. He stopped broadside at about 30 yards . I had to rise up to and learn to my left to get a tiny opening to his vitals. Good hit and he went only about 50 yards and died in the creek.
A friend actually had a picture of him on his trail camera a few days ago.

Feel extremely blessed to get a nice bull. The only thing that would have made it better is if my wife would have been there or even better if she could have got it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bull cropped.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	754257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bull side.jpg
Views:	1095
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	754259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bull water.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	754261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bull live.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	754263  
Old 09-18-2020, 12:52 AM   #106
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Dang! You make it sound easy. Way to pull it off.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:37 AM   #107
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

Nice clean water to wash things off too. If we’re always that easy. Congrats
Timber hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #108
TheRogue
King Salmon

Awesome! The "accidental" ones are sometimes the most rewarding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A feral horse is a free-roaming horse of domesticated ancestry. As such, a feral horse is not a wild animal in the sense of an animal without domesticated ancestors.
TheRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:03 AM   #109
Mountain Climber
Coho

Nice shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenamatic View Post
Well, with all the closures because of fires had me thinking my elk season was about done. I went to a friend's property to see if the bears were in there yet and when I got out saw what appeared to be fresh elk tracks. I started quietly sneaking through the thick brush cow calling occasionally when I made some noise. Just as I was stepping over a log supporting my weight with my release hand I heard a lot of cow noise, some brush crashing and a spike running right at me and stopping at 10 yards. I was screwed and he looked at me a few seconds then trotted back where he came from. I cow called a few times but he didn't come back. I inched forward a few feet and then heard a crack. I look to my left and see antler tips coming up the hill. I drew and got to one knee as he came into a slight opening. He stopped broadside at about 30 yards . I had to rise up to and learn to my left to get a tiny opening to his vitals. Good hit and he went only about 50 yards and died in the creek.

Feel extremely blessed to get a nice bull. The only thing that would have made it better is if my wife would have been there or even better if she could have got it.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #110
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenamatic View Post

Thank you for the story about your hunt. That is a dandy animal you shot.

I have seen several animals get to a low spot and then run out of power and check out in the same position you found your bull.

I had a friend call me one day after his bull had fallen into a creek when it died. It was a hot day and he was panicked that he had lost a lot of meat because it fell in the creek. I told him I will bring my knives and we will cut up your bull where it lies - getting that bull cooled quickly made for some excellent eating.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:48 PM   #111
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

Got one.
Snuck in on this guy, 2 spikes and some cows. On my knees on gravel hiding behind grass. Came draw and slowly stood up 4 different times to see what I could see. He finally stepped out right as I was about to shoot a spike. The wind was turning and it was now or never. Put it right where you want it. Went 40 yards, died 60 ft from gravel but it still sucks trying to get a whole elk in the back of a pickup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200918_150308.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	754337   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200918_164829.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	754339   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200918_164914.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	754341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200918_214702.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	754343  
Old 09-18-2020, 11:18 PM   #112
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Got one.
Snuck in on this guy, 2 spikes and some cows. On my knees on gravel hiding behind grass. Came draw and slowly stood up 4 different times to see what I could see. He finally stepped out right as I was about to shoot a spike. The wind was turning and it was now or never. Put it right where you want it. Went 40 yards, died 60 ft from gravel but it still sucks trying to get a whole elk in the back of a pickup.
That is a dandy dark horn bull you shot! Thanks for sharing the story about you filling your tag.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #113
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

Thanks, I think YOU have made YOUR point.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #114
slave4chrome
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Got one.

You shoot one in my back yard and dont even call me. When are you guys gonna learn.

Congrats bud. I'll see if I can find those pics

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
slave4chrome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #115
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

Copy!
I was talking to Ronny about Ian's bull sayin we have horses... why do we make it hard on our selves? Lol. Maybe because we are still young and still can.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200919_103357.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	754359  

Last edited by Newclear Fishin; 09-19-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #116
BuxnDux82
Tuna!

Well my season ended last week due to be called up for wildfires. Though the wife gave it one last run at it and last night she shot her first archery bull and first Roosevelt bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BuxnDux82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #117
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

Awesome! Perfect age in my opinion👍
Old 09-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #118
ol'wyatt
Steelhead

2020 just keeps getting crazier. Solo, otc backpack hunt. Oregon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resized_IMG_9676_335717355062306_1600698142382.jpg
Views:	1415
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	754419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_IMG_9661_335678016864925(1)_1600698153454.jpg
Views:	1442
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	754421  
ol'wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #119
Newclear Fishin
Tuna!

Wow just wow
Old 09-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #120
jokester
King Salmon

Quote:
2020 just keeps getting crazier. Solo, otc backpack hunt. Oregon.
WOWSERS DUDE!! You're having a banner year. I'd go buy some lotto tickets while your luck is still running

Congrats!

-jokester

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." - Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is online now   Reply With Quote