The Only Gillnet thread - Part III - Page 37 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

View Poll Results: What would you vote for?
Gillnet/tangle net. (With a known mortailty rate) 32 31.07%
Seine net. (With unknown mortailty rate.) 71 68.93%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2020, 11:51 PM   #2161
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Default Re: The Only Gillnet thread - Part III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick'em View Post
I heard on a TV program from someone from CCA say they don't track what's going on on the Columbia and that they have a bigger picture to look at. Don't know what program or who the speaker was.
That was me on Outdoor GPS.

What I said to Owin was that I don’t track every decision by the compact about seasonal/daily opens and closes. Some do. I don’t.

CCA is more focused on overall policy to finish the job of getting Gillnets off the Columbia. Have been. Am. Will be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #2162
rowmanholiday
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
That was me on Outdoor GPS.

What I said to Owin was that I don’t track every decision by the compact about seasonal/daily opens and closes. Some do. I don’t.

CCA is more focused on overall policy to finish the job of getting Gillnets off the Columbia. Have been. Am. Will be.

Can you give a hint or idea of what it is CCA is now doing to rid the nets from the river? The current approach is NOT working and all of the so called "gains" are being stripped away. I'm wondering what their game plan is, assuming they have one.

Really, what other choice is there, other than a new ballot measure?

This is NOT a dig on CCA. I would just like to know where do we go from here.

rowmanholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #2163
KEHarrisonfineart

There is a S-ton of stuff going on right now in Washington state as CCA is doing battle with a couple pro-gillnet commissioners (appointed by Insley) who are trying to overturn the CR reforms. Its all coming to a head in about a week from now. If you pay the whopping $35 membership fee you get updates on whats going on. If you really want to get into the nuts and bolts of it, become a member and ask to join the GRC (government relations committee).
CCA and others (Steelheaders,NSIA,etc.) have been working their tails off on this for months.
KEHarrisonfineart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #2164
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEHarrisonfineart View Post
There is a S-ton of stuff going on right now in Washington state as CCA is doing battle with a couple pro-gillnet commissioners (appointed by Insley) who are trying to overturn the CR reforms. Its all coming to a head in about a week from now. If you pay the whopping $35 membership fee you get updates on whats going on. If you really want to get into the nuts and bolts of it, become a member and ask to join the GRC (government relations committee).
CCA and others (Steelheaders,NSIA,etc.) have been working their tails off on this for months.
This!

Great reply Kevin.

Oregon has stood the line against Washington's attempts at a roll back. Up to now. The real battle is on the Washington side of the river.

Letters from legislators opposing changes to the gillnet reforms sent to WDFW etc, etc. Its election season and the WA primaries showed some interesting indicators of where some races may go.

In OR we have excellent legislative support from both sides of the aisle and the Governor opposing any roll backs. Thats how you make lasting change. Thats why things havent changed.

BTW, ballot measures can only effect one state.

I said on the same show "the problem isn't the policies we have passed, its the people who are supposed to be implementing them"

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 09-02-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #2165
mic4fish
Tuna!

Quote:
I am a cca memeber and am looking for answers. Can you or Bruce please let us know how washington state got nets back on the main stem columbia? For the life of me I cant figure how they pulled this off AFTER the 2013 reforms were put into place. Weve paid a ton of money in endorsement fees and buyouts only to get a fork in the eye! On top of that they close down zones 4-5 so they can have free water to to there ******* dammage?? Do these gillnet friendly commissioners have that much pull? I cant believe I have tomorrow off and cant go salmon fishing on the big river!!

Go play outside!
mic4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #2166
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

The extension of fall gillnets in zones 4-5 was done by the old, good WA commission as a 2 year extension a few years back. It never got un-extended.

Zones 4-5 are open to sportfishing. They have been
Old 09-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #2167
mic4fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
The extension of fall gillnets in zones 4-5 was done by the old, good WA commission as a 2 year extension a few years back. It never got un-extended.

Zones 4-5 are open to sportfishing. They have been
Thanks Bruce, I remember now they getting the extension. It was for fall only?The bummer of it is, you know how extensions go? They get extended and extended and extended! I was talking about this years current regs as far as zones 4-5. We were not allowed to fish there at times. Like now! And theres 16k a day over Bonneville!

Go play outside!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #2168
mic4fish
Tuna!

Also with nets back, why dont we get our barbs back?? Lost so many fish at buoy 10!!

Go play outside!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #2169
Snopro
Tuna!

Had a surprise last night. The tribes have fished set gillnets for as long as I can remember. When did they start Drift gillnetting Zone 6? I think the good fishing the last few days was effected by it. Really slowed down today.
Snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #2170
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snopro View Post
Had a surprise last night. The tribes have fished set gillnets for as long as I can remember. When did they start Drift gillnetting Zone 6? I think the good fishing the last few days was effected by it. Really slowed down today.
The tribes can use either set or drift gillnets in their fisheries. In recent years the markets have improved for higher quality tribal fish so many tribe members have invested in better equipment to access this market. Drift net caught, iced & bled steelhead and salmon bring a higher price than those caught in a set net - it is market driven.

With a tribal zone 6 fishery ending today there will be plenty of steelhead and salmon for sale in the Gorge this weekend.
joe_camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #2171
pearl
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_camo View Post
The tribes can use either set or drift gillnets in their fisheries. In recent years the markets have improved for higher quality tribal fish so many tribe members have invested in better equipment to access this market. Drift net caught, iced & bled steelhead and salmon bring a higher price than those caught in a set net - it is market driven.
That same thought process could also shift to the lower Columbia non-treaty commercial fleet. Switch to a hook and line fishery with iced and bled fish vs. drift gill nets that soak and would deliver a higher quality product to the public and drive higher revenue and profit margin. Also a better way to fish mark select constrained fisheries.

Different fishery but there is a co-op of fisherman out of Port Orford that have done a pretty good job of making the switch to sustainable fishing methods ( hook and line ) and carving out a path to market thus "delivering to the public" an opportunity to eat great meals .

https://posustainableseafood.com/

https://www.localharvest.org/port-or...seafood-M59071
Old 09-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #2172
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl View Post
That same thought process could also shift to the lower Columbia non-treaty commercial fleet. Switch to a hook and line fishery with iced and bled fish vs. drift gill nets that soak and would deliver a higher quality product to the public and drive higher revenue and profit margin. Also a better way to fish mark select constrained fisheries.

Different fishery but there is a co-op of fisherman out of Port Orford that have done a pretty good job of making the switch to sustainable fishing methods ( hook and line ) and carving out a path to market thus "delivering to the public" an opportunity to eat great meals .

https://posustainableseafood.com/

https://www.localharvest.org/port-or...seafood-M59071
The tribes have accessed that market as well. They have dip net and hook and line fisheries below Bonneville.

For many years now the tribes have accessed their ceremonial fish in the spring with a drift net on the lower Columbia to make sure they have some before other fisheries shut season down before they can access ceremonial fish in zone 6.

The commercial tribal fishery is slowly replacing the non tribal commercial fishery on the Columbia and it is all market driven. The tribes can fish longer and cheaper than the non tribals and as a result the non tribals will be replaced - with the exception of LCR pound nets.

Last edited by joe_camo; 09-04-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #2173
BackBouncerRich
Steelhead

The ratio from the current 80% to recreational and 20% to Commercial Gill netters is not getting better. It is getting worse. Here's the email I received on Monday 09/14/2020

Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission
1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98501

http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/
September 14, 2020
Commission office, 360-902-2267, [email protected]

Commission bans certain hunting contests in Washington, adopts new Columbia River policy language
OLYMPIA – The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission at its Friday meeting approved changes to rules governing hunting contests in the state and adopted revised language for its Columbia River Basin Salmon Management Policy.
In its first agenda item of the day, the Commission voted 7-2 to adopt two proposed rule changes governing hunting contests. The first rule change excludes species that don't currently have bag limits – such as coyotes – from being eligible for hunting contests. The second makes it illegal to participate in a hunting contest not permitted by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).
In the afternoon, the Commission in a 5-4 vote adopted amendments to its Columbia River Basin Salmon Management Policy (C-3620), which guides salmon fishery management in the Columbia and Snake rivers. The policy, which primarily addresses the sharing of fish and kinds of non-tribal fishing that can occur, was first adopted in 2013, and an extensive review of the policy began in 2018.
The policy provides allocation guidance for impacts to threatened or endangered fish populations after all conservation objectives are met, including objectives under the federal Endangered Species Act.
The updated policy language can be found at https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/fi...0-revision.pdf.
Among some of the key changes to fisheries under the revised policy:
  • Adoption of new conservation objectives for consideration of thermal angling sanctuaries, and increased scientific monitoring and guidelines for establishing goals for increased natural production. The new policy also calls for additional hatchery production and charges WDFW with increasing its efforts to develop and implement additional alternative gear types and a license reduction program for the commercial fishery.
  • Upriver Spring Chinook: Under the original policy, 80 percent of allowable impacts were allocated to recreational anglers, with the remaining 20 percent allocated to the commercial fleet. The revised policy moves to an abundance-based allocation model, which is expected to average about 70 percent recreational and 30 percent commercial. At lower run sizes, such as those seen in recent years, the recreational allocation remains at 80 percent.
    • In addition, the revised policy updates the spring Chinook allocation for the recreational fisheries below and above Bonneville Dam. Previously, 75 percent of the recreational impacts were allocated to fisheries below Bonneville, with the other 25 percent allocated above Bonneville. The revised policy changes this allocation to 70 percent and 30 percent, respectively, with the difference going to the Snake River.
  • Summer Chinook downstream of Priest Rapids Dam: Similar to spring Chinook, the revised policy moves to an abundance-based allocation model, which is expected to average 70 percent recreational and 30 percent commercial. The original policy allowed for 80 percent of allowable impacts in the recreational fishery, 20 percent to commercial. Under the abundance-based model, the recreational allocation remains at 80 percent when abundance is lower.
  • Fall Chinook: The original policy allocated no more than 80 percent of impacts to the recreational fishery, and no less than 20 percent to the commercial fishery. The revised policy updates these allocations to no more than 70 percent and no less than 30 percent, respectively, which aligns Washington policy with the current Oregon policy.
A more detailed comparison of key fishery differences between the policies can be found at https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/fi...son-091120.pdf.
In addition to allocation changes, the revised policy provides greater flexibility for managers to consider an array of commercial fishing gear types -- such as large-mesh gillnets and alternative gears like seines, pound nets, and tangle nets -- for potential use in the various seasons and areas of the river, with instructions to achieve concurrent regulations with Oregon and using the most selective gear available.
Columbia River fishing seasons are currently set through the end of 2020, and the new policy language will take effect beginning Jan. 1, 2021. With the revised policy as a guiding document, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission will move quickly to begin conversations with Oregon's commission about working toward development of concurrent regulations for 2021 and beyond.
In other business of their two-day meeting, the Commission received briefings on the draft 25-year strategic plan for the Department, an update on management of the North Cascades elk herd, and an update on rule development for commercial whale watching. The Commission received briefings and accepted public comment on their hatchery policy and Willapa Bay salmon management policy. The Commission extended the comment period on the hatchery and fishery reform policy through Oct. 12, 2020. Public comments can be submitted to [email protected]. More information on that policy review can be found at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/manageme...-policy-review.
The Commission is a citizen panel appointed by the governor that sets policy for the WDFW. WDFW is the primary state agency tasked with preserving, protecting, and perpetuating fish and wildlife and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing and hunting opportunities.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #2174
mitchfish
Steelhead

Default Gill nets

When are the nets going in this week, thanks
mitchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #2175
Shrimpdaddy
Steelhead

Default Re: Gill nets

Monday evening is only one currently scheduled. Probably get more time.
Shrimpdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #2176
Snopro
Tuna!

8pm 21st - 6am 22nd.
And
6am 21st - 6pm 25th.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #2177
joe_camo
King Salmon

The next zone 6 tribal commercial gill net fishery starts on Monday at 6AM and lasts 4.5 days - identical to last weeks fishery. That makes 18 full days of tribal commercial gillnet fisheries on the mainstem Columbia River since August 31st
Old 09-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #2178
stumpyin08
Ifish Nate

What about the regular commercial gillnet fisheries? When are they fishing?
stumpyin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #2179
Pirate
Ifish Nate

Red face Re: Gill nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snopro View Post
8pm 21st - 6am 22nd.
And
6am 21st - 6pm 25th.
Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't look right....
Old 09-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #2180
darth baiter
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't look right....
The 21st to 25th is above Bonneville in treaty fishery.

Ifish #98 ABC (after board change)
darth baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #2181
angelo pappas
Steelhead

Anyone know what zone(s) the 9/21-9/22 fishery is in?
angelo pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #2182
Snopro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo pappas View Post
Anyone know what zone(s) the 9/21-9/22 fishery is in?
4 and 5
Old 09-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #2183
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpyin08 View Post
What about the regular commercial gillnet fisheries? When are they fishing?
The tribal commercial fisheries are the regular commercial gill net fisheries on the main stem Columbia River. The tribal gill net fisheries cover a larger area, are on the water much longer, have a much larger quota and have more allowable sales than the non tribal gill net fisheries on the main stem Columbia River.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:56 PM   #2184
Beefcake
King Salmon

Quote:
The tribal commercial fisheries are the regular commercial gill net fisheries on the main stem Columbia River. The tribal gill net fisheries cover a larger area, are on the water much longer, have a much larger quota and have more allowable sales than the non tribal gill net fisheries on the main stem Columbia River.

While this is true, and while they hamper some of my favorite fisheries in the gorge, it is my understanding that they are the only ones that have a legal right to fish the Columbia River, and that sport fishing and non-tribal gillnet fishing are only allowed because they give us some of their quota. Plus, their hatcheries provide a large percentage of the fish we love to catch. I understand that you are trying to deflect attention from your buddies, the non-tribal gillnetters, but the non-tribal netters are the only ones us sport fishermen have a legitimate reason to question. As far as the tribal fisheries go, let’s not “look a gift horse in the mouth.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #2185
NEUTRON
Sturgeon

At least the tribes are responsible for hatchery fish that show up...
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
NEUTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #2186
Bat-Ray
Steelhead

Will someone please send a link with the netting schedule for zones 4&5. I have looked and cant find a current schedule.
Thank you,
Bat-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #2187
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
While this is true, and while they hamper some of my favorite fisheries in the gorge, it is my understanding that they are the only ones that have a legal right to fish the Columbia River, and that sport fishing and non-tribal gillnet fishing are only allowed because they give us some of their quota. Plus, their hatcheries provide a large percentage of the fish we love to catch. I understand that you are trying to deflect attention from your buddies, the non-tribal gillnetters, but the non-tribal netters are the only ones us sport fishermen have a legitimate reason to question. As far as the tribal fisheries go, let’s not “look a gift horse in the mouth.”
It was the method that was called a "roadblock to recovery" not who deploys that method.

There will be plenty of fresh wild B run steelhead for sale in the gorge all week - just like there has been all month.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #2188
Flatfish
King Salmon

Joe Camo is deflecting from non tribal nets.

I wonder how many Clackamas Native Coho will die in a net this year. They allow it. Seasons are in place to fish nets on these stocks.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #2189
Bat-Ray
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth baiter View Post
The 21st to 25th is above Bonneville in treaty fishery.
So is below the dam only open for one night? (monday)
Bat-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #2190
Spinner
Chromer

Default What time do gillnetters deploy nets in DZ

Question: Tonight in DZ gillnet hours appear to be 8pm to 6am Tuesday. I 8pm the time they are allowed to deploy their nets? Or, is 8pm the first pull?

Thank you!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #2191
Fish Dog
Steelhead

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/OSC...910_notice.pdf
Fish Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:34 AM   #2192
mic4fish
Tuna!

So sad seeing all those net boats putting in at camas last night. One right after another. Its heartbreaking knowing we still have nets in warm fresh water. Had a conservation plan in place to try and save our columbia river fish. A bi-state plan. We even all helped fund it. But... our wonderful state of wa decided to stab us in the back and take our money to boot. There is one running for governor, cant say who, That says nets do not belong in fresh water. But you watch he will not win. Cause we do what king county wants.

Go play outside!
Old 09-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #2193
stumpyin08
Ifish Nate

Default Re: What time do gillnetters deploy nets in DZ

Check the main gillnet thread.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #2194
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot
Tuna!

Ok I admit I know very little about this issue. But why didn’t this go to the voters in both states. I imagine it would easily pass.
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #2195
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyTangoFoxtrot View Post
Ok I admit I know very little about this issue. But why didn’t this go to the voters in both states. I imagine it would easily pass.
It did go to a vote in Oregon with measure 81 in 2012

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Gilln..._81_%282012%29

Those who initiated the legislation insist the measure would have passed if the advertising campaign was not suspended in lieu of a deal made with the Oregon Governor.

That deal went on to become the bi-state agreement between Washington and Oregon, a carefully drawn out piece of legislation with considerable input from those who brought measure 81 to a vote. Nothing in the bi-state agreement exists without the sole primary purpose of removing non tribal gillnets from the Columbia River - with the exception of the "allocation goodie" which is additional impacts to ESA listed salmonids being shifted from the Non-tribal commercial fishers to recreational fishers.

When passed measure 81 would have existed perpetuity and Washington would have surely followed suit for concurrent fisheries. Instead the bi-state agreement was written with a strict timeline and all the provisions of that agreement had sunset dates written directly into the legislation. Most of the bi-state agreement has lapsed with the exception of some recreational conservation measures/funding.

No worries however, the days of non-tribal commercial gillnetting below Bonneville are coming to an end and it will be driven not by legislation but by the free market. The tribes have tremendous quota and long seasons compared to the non-tribal fishers and can catch salmon/steelhead for commercial sale at a fraction of the expense.

Last edited by joe_camo; 09-23-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #2196
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot
Tuna!

Well that was a big mistake making a deal instead of forcing the issue.
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #2197
Wreckless
King Salmon

Default Re: Columbia River Reports ... What’s Going On?

Not to derail this thread, REALLY, BUT with 13 days of nets starting tomorrow and going for a month, is it best to fish the days they are netting, the day after or ? There is no real "rest" for the river in October as far as I can see.

Do people just go or is it time to head to the coast?

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #2198
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowmanholiday View Post
Is any of the netting happening below the mouth of the Lewis.

I would think from there down is where the sports focus would be. That's where I'll be.

Yes, 11 days of nets below (zones 1,2&3)

I truly don't want to derail this thread. I've caught fish trolling around the nets at Bouy 10. I'm just wondering if there's a better day to go. Sept. has been a mess for me. I was planning on some October salmon on the big river, but if it's not worth it, there are other things to do. I've been looking into trap shooting.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #2199
Bonecrusher 0.338
Ifish Nate

Sick and tired of the low life netters. They need to go!
Old 09-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #2200
ampersat
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher 0.338 View Post
Remind me again how the CCA has already solved this problem.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #2201
Stick'em
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post
That info might be available at the next membership drive banquet.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #2202
Streamfixer
Chromer

CCA worked hard to get a referendum prohibiting gillnets in the Columbia on the Oregon Ballot.

Then Gov. Kitzhauber put together an alternative that would have taken the nets out of the mainstem in 2017, so the referendum was withdrawn. His successor (Brown) allowed herself to be sucked in by promises of the Gillnetters 25 year lobbyist that he would not be swayed by the Gillnet arguments (I wonder if she still believes in the tooth fairy).

Since 2012, the ODFW commission has been diligently working hard to dismantle that agreement.

The nets remain in the mainstem, as well as the special fishing areas set up by the now defunct agreement.

Here we stand today...

StreamFixer, aka Russ Lawrence
Streamfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #2203
joe_camo
King Salmon

Very, very soon "he" will have heard enough and will set everyone straight.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #2204
Fish Dog
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamfixer View Post
CCA worked hard to get a referendum prohibiting gillnets in the Columbia on the Oregon Ballot.

Then Gov. Kitzhauber put together an alternative that would have taken the nets out of the mainstem in 2017, so the referendum was withdrawn. His successor (Brown) allowed herself to be sucked in by promises of the Gillnetters 25 year lobbyist that he would not be swayed by the Gillnet arguments (I wonder if she still believes in the tooth fairy).

Since 2012, the ODFW commission has been diligently working hard to dismantle that agreement.

The nets remain in the mainstem, as well as the special fishing areas set up by the now defunct agreement.

Here we stand today...

A key component of the reform was to implement an alternative gear type to replace the gillnets. Many millions was spent on this effort without
success. The reform hit the sunset date and here we are. So to say they worked diligently to dismantle the the agreement isn't accurate. They
worked diligently and at great cost to find an alternative to no avail.

Conversation starter, correct me if I'm wrong... I freely admit i often am.

StreamFixer, aka Russ Lawrence
Fish Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:56 AM   #2205
2slow
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post
Remind me again how anybody else has solved this problem? At least CCA has made progress.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:33 PM   #2206
stumpyin08
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Very, very soon "he" will have heard enough and will set everyone straight.

Joe, I think it is time that you removed yourself from discussions about gillnets.

You are exposing your fantasies and you're lack of compassion.

And your misinformation is getting old.

Oh, and "he" isn't interested unless he can build a golf course or a hotel.

Last edited by stumpyin08; 09-25-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:06 AM   #2207
CKthumper
Sturgeon

Misinformation, spun "facts", outright mistakes, biased interpretations, lack of fundamental knowledge, etc., are part of every argument on this subject. Why single out Joe? Because he is one of few who do not toe the party line?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #2208
Coho 2
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher 0.338 View Post
And now we know why we can never get anything done.As a sportsmen it's embarrassing to see how greedy sportsmen are when comes to this subject.
Remember Salmon are a public resources for all of us to enjoy in the PNW.And the non fishing public makes up 90% of the population in Washington state.That 90% pays taxes and power bill that helps support hatcheries. And who do you think fishes for the non fishing public.
Coho 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #2209
rowmanholiday
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho 2 View Post
And now we know why we can never get anything done.As a sportsmen it's embarrassing to see how greedy sportsmen are when comes to this subject.
Remember Salmon are a public resources for all of us to enjoy in the PNW.And the non fishing public makes up 90% of the population in Washington state.That 90% pays taxes and power bill that helps support hatcheries. And who do you think fishes for the non fishing public.
Well, there's tribal. There's the ocean fisheries. Maybe the question should be, who pays for the fish that you get to profit from?

Greedy sportsmen? Some, but surely not the majority.

Do you also find it embarrassing that a VERY small group of gillnetters get a large portion of the available fish, yet pay for a small percentage of the cost to produce them? Doesn't that seem greedy to you?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #2210
KEHarrisonfineart

And that 90% you refer to that don't fish could care less whether their salmon came from your non-tribal Columbia river gillnet, from the tribes, from Alaska or Canada, or if it was a dyed Atlantic salmon raised in a pen somewhere.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #2211
stumpyin08
Ifish Nate

That is true.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #2212
KEHarrisonfineart

People forget that one of the main points of the original reforms was to come up with fair sharing of non-tribal Columbia river fish between recreational and commercial fishermen. Given there are a few dozen active gillnetters vs. tens of thousands of sport fishers it was determined a split of 80% sport to 20% commercial was fair. Prior to that it was more like 50%+. Along with that was ending gillnetting, due to its non-selective nature and high mortality rate. Not totally ending commercial fishing, just doing it with better gear. Its call adaptation. Every industry on earth has done it. But not gillnets?
Old 09-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #2213
Coho 2
Cutthroat

[QUOTE=rowmanholiday;16482703]Well, there's tribal. There's the ocean fisheries. Maybe the question should be, who pays for the fish that you get to profit from?

I don't profit from anything. I'm a sports fisher.

Last edited by Coho 2; 09-25-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #2214
Coho 2
Cutthroat

Quote:
And that 90% you refer to that don't fish could care less whether their salmon came from your non-tribal Columbia river gillnet, from the tribes, from Alaska or Canada, or if it was a dyed Atlantic salmon raised in a pen somewhere.
So the tax payers of Washington state. Should pays taxes for hatchery production that benefit the Alaskan commercial fleet. The non fish public know far more than you think when comes to eating Salmon in Washington.And you're just assuming i'm a commercial fishermen.And we all know what happens when you assume.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #2215
stumpyin08
Ifish Nate

Quote:
So the tax payers of Washington state. Should pays taxes for hatchery production that benefit the Alaskan commercial fleet. The non fish public know far more than you think when comes to eating Salmon in Washington.And you're just assuming i'm a commercial fishermen.And we all know what happens when you assume.

You may not be a commercial fisherman, but you are acting like a Troll.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #2216
Coho 2
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpyin08 View Post
You may not be a commercial fisherman, but you are acting like a Troll.
Maybe your just scared that this troll is armed with the facts. And how do you know i have been on this site before. And maybe you just don't like it. That i don't tow the party lines.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:16 PM   #2217
rowmanholiday
King Salmon

Quote:
Maybe your just scared that this troll is armed with the facts. And how do you know i have been on this site before. And maybe you just don't like it. That i don't tow the party lines.
Shooting blanks, so far. ESA listed fish don't stand a chance with your October mop up. The lower the mortality rate of sportsfishers, the more fish that can pass and spawn like they should. Due to the FACT that WE don't burn through our impacts like the commercials. And I am not of the opinion that a few more hatchery fish on the spawning grounds is a bad thing.

Also, we are about as selective as you can get and rules are changed on moments notice, if necessary. We can adapt for the benefit of the fish FAR better than commercials.

Your arguments are ringing hollow.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #2218
stumpyin08
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Still sounding like a Troll.

You have only been on this site a month, and you already have the troll thing down!

Go ahead and post your data sheet and talking points, and let a jury of your peers debate your point of view. If you dare, most netters are scared that their facts will get torn up.

And it is" toe the party line."

And so far, you have been "toeing the netters party line."

Try posting something we haven't seen.

Last edited by stumpyin08; 09-26-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 AM   #2219
CKthumper
Sturgeon

Most everybody here is toeing their chosen party line. And sometimes that party line is such a tiresome drag that it must be towed. We ignore or dispute facts that don't support the line. Insult the intelligence, challenge the competence, insinuate corruption of management.

Good things are happening on the river this summer and fall. Higher than forecast returns, seasons and extensions made available through adaptive management. Strong jack counts suggesting the possibility of much better things coming next year.

But do we smile at good fortune and look to a brighter future? No. We complain about a one Chinook limit. We whine and wail and gnash our teeth because the nets are getting in on the bounty.

Last weekend I dropped anchor with not another boat within 200 yards, then got called a Mo....f....r for anchoring in the trolling lane.

Maybe it's the smoke, or maybe the virus, but c'mon, people. Lighten up.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #2220
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
People forget that one of the main points of the original reforms was to come up with fair sharing of non-tribal Columbia river fish between recreational and commercial fishermen. Given there are a few dozen active gillnetters vs. tens of thousands of sport fishers it was determined a split of 80% sport to 20% commercial was fair. Prior to that it was more like 50%+. Along with that was ending gillnetting, due to its non-selective nature and high mortality rate. Not totally ending commercial fishing, just doing it with better gear. Its call adaptation. Every industry on earth has done it. But not gillnets?
People forget that the main point of the original reforms was to protect/recover wild and endangered salmon. It was specifically stated by the support for the reforms coalition that these reforms had nothing to do with allocation.

The support for measure 81 claims that the sole primary purpose was conservation. This is straight from the support for measure 81 campaign - "Oregon's failure to protect and enhance our wild salmon runs threatens the state's credibility as a leader in sustainability. Each year, taxpayers, electric utility rate payers and others collectively contribute about $1 billion to recovery efforts, yet wild salmon, an important natural and economic resource for our state, remain on the brink of extinction."

The reforms came about because wild salmon "remain in the brink of extinction" but the measure was abandoned for a bigger slice of the dead wild salmon pie - the allocation goodie.

Last edited by joe_camo; 09-26-2020 at 08:32 AM.