Dude, Where’s Our Boat? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 09-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
ccw
King Salmon

Default Dude, Where’s Our Boat?

We pulled out this afternoon from the Kalama Marina about 3:30 pm, fished for a few hours and returned at dusk. As I approached my slip where I’ve moored for 20 years, I was dumbfounded to find it was already occupied!

Seeing the guest dock was full, I towed it to the North end of the marina to the boat ramp dock and tied it securely, safely and undamaged there with three ropes I found in his bow. I left a note taped to the wooden pole by my slip and boat as well as a note taped to his windshield explaining my actions and where his boat was.

The other day some boaters tied up to the end of the marina dock, giggling and tipsy, and asked if I thought “they’d care” if they tied up for a while (going for drinks At McMenamins?) I told them we do care. We pay $135/month for secure, safe moorage and really don’t want strangers just you know, tying up whenever, just because. Tenants are required to carry $300,000 liability insurance too.

Folks, if the guest dock is full, tie up along either side of the two docks down by the boat ramp please. There is always room. If you do tie up in the marina, the gate will lock behind you and you’ll have trouble accessing your boat.

Thanks,

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)

Last edited by ccw; 09-21-2020 at 05:53 PM.
ccw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
[email protected]
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Dude, Where’s Our Boat?

Well that was nice of you
Some would of cut the lines and just kicked it away. Seen it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derrick454@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
KEHarrisonfineart

Well done
KEHarrisonfineart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 03:47 AM   #4
Bladdershy
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well that was nice of you
Some would of cut the lines and just kicked it away. Seen it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I accidentally parked in someone's spot and caught them pushing my boat off with no one inside of it, They'd be walking away with fewer teeth than what they arrived with . GUARANTEED!!! . Heck, even it was parked on purpose, i'd still knock your teeth out.. blatantly ruining property like this deserves a$# whipping

Last edited by Bladdershy; 09-21-2020 at 03:50 AM.
Bladdershy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #5
DoryDrifter
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladdershy View Post
If I accidentally parked in someone's spot and caught them pushing my boat off with no one inside of it, They'd be walking away with fewer teeth than what they arrived with . GUARANTEED!!! . Heck, even it was parked on purpose, i'd still knock your teeth out.. blatantly ruining property like this deserves a$# whipping
To assume the guy “accidentally parked” there is pretty funny. I’ve been around boats and marinas for the better part of 60 years and I’ve never seen someone “accidentally” park in someone else’s slip.
DoryDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Always remove the plug before kicking it away.....

'Accidentally." I'm not buying that.

This situation was handled correctly.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Always remove the plug before kicking it away.....

'Accidentally." I'm not buying that.

This situation was handled correctly.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #8
Jsteel
Chromer

Situation handled correctly and reasonably.
Jsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #9
ccw
King Salmon

Default Dude, Where’s Our Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDrifter View Post
To assume the guy “accidentally parked” there is pretty funny. I’ve been around boats and marinas for the better part of 60 years and I’ve never seen someone “accidentally” park in someone else’s slip.

My slip is specific in its position under the edge of the roof, the permanent bumpers there are bright and tied uniquely, the permanent mooring line he tied up with has a bright red and white Candy-cane appearance, the vertical wooden pole where you get out has a folding chair bungeed to it.

One of my dock buddies (Riverhound) just called me... the guy was there at 7:00 am this morning wondering where his boat was. We spoke, both polite. He claims that mine was the slip that POK told him to go to and use... Sounds feasible, a mix up in the Marina office.

This may one of those situations I’m trying to have more of... patience when Life turns a little weird and or people do things I don’t understand or misjudge. As I learn more about their motivations and perspective, I find I’m glad I didn’t overreact, held to the higher line and behaved in a way that allows more dignity & learning for both.

It may be that he will be my new dock neighbor and we’ll need to be able to get along for years. Better to start on a non aggressive footing.

Stuff happens. Let’s do what we can to improve the general lot of the World, then catch fish.

CW

Last edited by ccw; 09-21-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Great perspective CW.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #11
Shrimpdaddy
Steelhead

X2
Shrimpdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:02 AM   #12
fishbadger
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
My slip is specific in its position under the edge of the roof, the permanently bumpers tied there are bright and tied uniquely, the permanent mooring line he tied up with has a bright red and white Candy-cane appearance, the vertical wooden pole where you get out has a folding chair bungeed to it.

One of my dock buddies (Riverhound) just called me... the guy was there at 7:00 am this morning wondering where his boat was. We spoke, both polite. He claims that mine was the slip that POK told him to go to and use... Sounds feasible, a mix up in the Marina office.

This may one of those situations I’m trying to have more of... patience when Life turns a little weird and or people do things I don’t understand or misjudge. As I learn more about their motivations and perspective, I find I’m glad I didn’t overreact, held to the higher line and behaved in a way that allows more dignity & learning for both.

It may be that he will be my new dock neighbor and we’ll need to be able to get along for years. Better to start on a non aggressive footing.

Stuff happens. Let’s do what we can to improve the general lot of the World, then catch fish.

CW
That's pretty highly evolved of you. What are you doing on an internet fishing forum? Ha!
fb
fishbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #13
surfnfish
Chromer

Quote:
And than you'd be in jail until bail was granted, and likely lose the subsequent civil suit costing you both attorney fees and a large cash settlement. Just as it should.
surfnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
Rykat
Tuna!

Yes, most of us would be irritated to find someone else in our slip, parking space that doesn't belong there. True, these are First World problems that give us momentary heartburn. The primal instinct is to be . . territorial about it. Yeah, I get the initial reaction is . . . your boat is headed for a deep dive buddy.

I love it when grownup behavior kicks in and saves us from . . . calamity. Awesome foresight from both of you.
Rykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
mjinor
Coho

Quote:
My slip is specific in its position under the edge of the roof, the permanent bumpers there are bright and tied uniquely, the permanent mooring line he tied up with has a bright red and white Candy-cane appearance, the vertical wooden pole where you get out has a folding chair bungeed to it.

CW
We need more folks like you!! Kudos!
Old 09-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #16
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjinor View Post
We need more folks like you!! Kudos!
He is good people.
Not a first time rodeo'er.
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #17
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

Good on you CW for handling it like a pro, I like to always try and understand why folks do what they do and get the other side of the story before making any rash decisions, as they say, any port in a storm.
I was taken aback years ago when we were coming into the GB no wake zone when a boat on step passed us running incredibly fast and putting off a huge wake, turned out they had a guy collapse while fishing and they were trying to seek medical help ASAP so always good to know both sides of a story.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #18
Flatfish
King Salmon

As is usual, CCW impresses me as a good person.

I've parked in wrong spot before. I knew there was white NR next to me on port side of slip. After a quickie afternoon trip, went in, seen white NR, and pulled up next to him. A couple minutes later, a boat pulls up and tells me I'm in his spot. He was right (In my defense, slip markers at that moorage were little weather beaten 4x6 cards that I needed to be very close to read slip number). We moved. Easy peasy.

It turns out that dude in white NR was rather intoxicated when he came back in. He parked in wrong spot, and passed out in front of his pickup in parking lot.

A year later, lady at moorage office told me to go tie up at spot XYZ 123. Turns out, there was a boat in it. The other lady in moorage office had rented XYZ123 out a few minutes prior to my arrival, and not updated master map of harbor.

Stuff happens. First world problems.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #19
DoryDrifter
Tuna!

Quote:

CW
You’re a good Man!
DoryDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #20
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Sweet! Dude!
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #21
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Chris,

Have you paid this months moorage?????????????

Maybe POK was trying to tell you something. God I crack me up.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #22
Tiny
Chromer

Quote:
Oregon City Justice.LOL
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #23
The Overfishin Condition
King Salmon

I would just suggest being careful with this. I think moving the boat was done reasonably. However, my understanding is you expose yourself to a bunch of liability by doing so. I’ve heard of this happening before and the marina refusing to move the boat because of those liabilities.

Just something that would not have occurred to me before hearing that from them.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:22 AM   #24
NEUTRON
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Oregon City Justice.LOL

Perhaps OC ignorance?
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
NEUTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #25
Tiny
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUTRON View Post
Perhaps OC ignorance?
Yeah, I didn't mean it as a compliment or endorsement.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #26
choppers
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaGeo View Post
Chris,

OH.... Gosh... George...I miss your humor!
choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #27
rollcast
Ifish Nate

This is definitely one of my favorite threads of the year! The whole thing has really made me chuckle and given me hope for mankind.

I just want to say that you once again showed yourself to be the decent person that you are ccw. It is refreshing to know that while you can't fix stupid, you can tow it away to the ramp dock

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #28
ccw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaGeo View Post
Chris,

The paranoid fishing addict that’s hyperprotective of my whole boating scheme immediately thought the same thing... then my rational self quickly remembered the monthly auto-pays and regular correspondence I’ve had for years with POK.

They explained a simple mistake was made and thanked me for being “responsible”.

I’m pretty sure it was the long arm of the Bank-Maggot-Mafia, probing my defenses.

CW

Old 09-23-2020, 05:17 AM   #29
DogZilla15
King Salmon

They look like a hostile bunch. Don't turn your back on 'em.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #30
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:

CW
My brother accidently parked our boat at Warrenton in the wrong slip while putting the boat in for the year. He was one finger off. Got a call from the Marina office letting us know, but nobody was available to move it. The marina office just assigned us the new space for the year (presumably assigning someone else our correct slip). We still use this wrong slip many years later.

Mistakes are made and glad you handled it in an appropriate way.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #31
riverhound
Tuna!

POK is under new management. The guys were really nice guys. I felt like it was legit, called Chris, and the problem was solved. If you know Chris from the marina or on the water, you are really not surprised by his reaction. He is definitely one of the more stand up guys on the water. Glad I could help.
riverhound is offline   Reply With Quote