IFish Fishing Forum banner

Update continues with the Dodge Ram

8K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  loper 
#1 ·
Long M'Fing rant...My Ram Saga continues and I hate it....Really was a lifetime Ram person.

I've owned the following RAM vehicles in my family/lifetime = 72' Ram 95' Ram Gas, 03' Diesel '14 6.4 Hemi < The F'ing worst of them. I love that truck too which is hard for me. Ram/Dodge fan through and through and dealing with this...seriously?! no help from the higher ups....#$%#$%#

Here's a change for ya'll on our current events. For those that have seen my previous posts on my '14 Ram 6.4 3/4 ton long bed....here's another F****** good one....just got back from deer scouting...computer says low pressure on all tires...nope all full....drive from Ukiah area to Eugene...light comes on "oh you have no fuel pull over now....Well I just filled my tank!!!!

Take it to a certain coastal dealership...oh your fuel pump is going out and your brake sensor is bad and we won't get one for 3 plus months again....WOW. the words that would have have came out of my mouth stuck in the middle of nowhere....after going through a new trans, new torque converter, EGR cooler, new wheel sensor...F them. Guess what the fuel pump is on back order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me look reallll hard at a go' dam' Tundra. Warranty for rental covers 1 week...they say 4 months! Thank god I spent 3K on a lifetime warranty....expires in 2097 F'U RAM. They have covered over $10K in parts/labor so far. F! Beyond it.

Thank god I made it out of Ukiah/Desolation...that 72' Dodge would been just fine. They literally had my truck 5 months to get it fixed some 5 months ago!!!!! it has less than 80K miles! I'm done. Thank god for extended coverage...Anyways....Sorry... :/ So F'ing flustered. SORRY! Stuck in a rock and a hard place...

See less See more
#8 ·
Totally get your frustration.
But the parts taking so long to get is not specific to ram.
I’m a gm tech. Most things we don’t stock are same way. Trickle effect from corona.
Parts wearhouse don’t have as much stock. Having to source parts from other dealers around the country. Parts on back order. It’s a big cluster.
Things we had to order before we could get in a timely fashion for the most part and be overnighted if needed. That’s not the case currently though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
This kind of thing can happen with any vehicle. I've got two stories. My neighbor bought a brand new Ford power stroke and he started having problems with it at a couple of thousand miles--one thing after another. One day, when he took it in, the dealer told him to go pick out another truck and he'd get the paperwork ready. He did.

The brother of one of my friends also bought a new power stroke that was nothing but trouble. The 3rd time he blew a head gasket (under warranty) and had the truck towed in, he walked into the office (he'd bought a couple of vehicles there before) and told the manager he was going to go out and find another truck on the lot, and when he found it he expected to get the amount he still owed on the 'bad' truck as trade-in. Surprisingly, the dealer went for it and he left with a new gasser.

#16 ·
when i first bought a toyota the salesmen said oh you want to look under the hood, i said yes, he said it would be the last time you did. 7 toyotas later and maybe close to a million miles and still havent opened the hood on any except to disconnect the battery if going away for a time. not one nickel in repairs.
ive had all kinds of makes but never a dodge and for good reasons. they break and when they break its the expensive stuff that breaks.

#17 ·
7 toyotas later and maybe close to a million miles and still havent opened the hood on any except to disconnect the battery if going away for a time.
Not a surprise that you aren’t your car’s mechanic. Most people never look under their truck/car’s hood. Also, typical Toyota owner who also doesn’t know how to use capitalization. Sorry, that’s supposed to be a joke. No offense intended, but I just found it hilarious. ;)

I have friends who like Toyotas. They have no standards. ;) Sorry, another joke.:flowered:

Seriously though, this is not a good thread for Ram.

#20 ·
Pinhead give a reasonable perspective. Towing right up to a vehicles rated capacity isn't pleasant and probably not safe and certainly not courteous to other drivers. Don't want to be "that guy" with a line of traffic behind you because you can't keep up with the prevailing speed.

#22 ·
It's funny...They know me and my number so well that they won't answer when I call...but if I block my number and call right after they answer first ring, every time...

Not dealing with the dealership anymore...I have a case opened with Dodge.

Sorry for the first post rant...might have had a couple beers and just done with it. So glad I bought the lifetime warranty...it's cost them over $10K in parts/labor. I paid $3K for the warranty up front.

Tempted to buy that RAM TRX though lol.

#25 ·
i cAn usE caPs but as long as you can understand and read clearly a post that is all that matters.

i know lots of dodge guys that have had very little trouble. most of those trade in before 100,000 miles. but they tow well. just when they have problems it is expensive ones.

i do have a super duty for big payloads. no problems with it. 20 years old.

#31 ·
If a tundra had 3/4 ton capabilities...I think I would be sold.

I usually get rid of my trucks around 100K-125K...Never had a problem until this new generation...Ball joint went out on my 2015 at 38k miles...then the head studs around 60K.

Wish I would have kept my 03' Diesel...only had to replace the fuel pump at 100K...

#39 ·
If you look at towing capacity. Today's 1/2 ton trucks will pull what 3/4 ton diesels were rated for, not too long ago. (Ok maybe a few decades ago). If you don't need actual payload. There's no reason why a tundra won't work. It will be my next truck as my boat only weighs 5K lbs.

The gas savings of my diesel I've had for 8 years, went out the door, after the first turbo and full front end rebuild that happened after the warranty expired.

We just had a Tundra in my shop, 333K miles and the water pump failed. Looking at that engine, you would have no idea it had that many miles on it. It ran and sounded that good.

#37 ·
Lifelong Ford dude here. Never had a diesel, though. Probably never will, now that Ford is getting serious about gas engines again.

My current rig is an '04 F250 gasser. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. 11 years and 150K miles, and the only non-routine problem was the cruise control. Of course the original supplier of Ford's cruise servos is out of business, so they can't be had new. It was a crazy intermittent failure, and it took me over a year to finally nail the problem down. I picked up a used servo for $25 and robbed a couple parts off of it, and I'm cruising again.
Other than that, just the usual crap Ford ball joints and crap Ford brakes, but I expected those problems.

#41 ·
Here's their 4.5l V8 Turbo diesel Toyota has so far not brought over, big three should be very grateful.

• Designation: 1VD-FTV
  • Maximum power: Single turbo: 151 kW (202 hp; 205 PS) @ 3400 rpm;[2] Twin turbo: 200 kW (268 hp; 272 PS) at 3400 rpm[3]
  • Maximum torque: Single turbo: 430 N⋅m (317 lb⋅ft) @ 1200-3200 rpm;[2] Twin turbo: 650 N⋅m (479 lb⋅ft) @ 1600-2600 rpm[3]
  • Fuel Consumption (ADR81/02 combined): Single turbo: 11.9 l/100 km (23.7 mpg‑imp; 19.8 mpg‑US);[2] Twin turbo: 10.3 l/100 km (27.4 mpg‑imp; 22.8 mpg‑US)[3]

How many of those 3/4T Tundra's could they sell? New Tundra in 2022, maybe we'll see it then? :cheers:

#42 ·
#53 ·
Those Toyota diesel engine specs seem to be about what the Ford/Chevy/Ram 1/2 diesels have and about half what the 3/4 ton diesels have. I guess that’s the reason Toyota doesn’t build a 3/4 ton.

For reference. He’s the info on the Ford 1/2 tons. The diesel has 250 HP and 440 ft lb of torque. https://media.ford.com/content/dam/.../US/product/2020/f150/2020-F150-TechSpecs.pdf

The 3/4 has 475 HP and 1050 ft lb of torque. https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/features/power/

2010, I went to see a Toyota/Yanmar 8LV diesel engine in a boat built by Precision Weld boats. The engine weighed 970lbs, 800lbs torque a 2800 RPM and 370 HP.
One smaller boat(22') had a single engine and a larger boat had twins.

#46 ·
Fummins! Lol...

Part of me wonders if I should really switch from a life long brand due to this one truck and partial problems of my 2015...It all boils down to customer service/experience and how I have been treated, honestly. Just seems like corp. or dealership doesn't care....Nobody can get an answer from dealership...rental service can't get a P.O which means I have to submit for reimbursement some $700 for my rental car for the week I used it to corp...which will take months to get back.

I think a new Tundra TRD would do everything I need...haul my 20ft alum. boat and my smaller Kubota tractor if I need to tow it somewhere. On top of that, no mechanical problems?!?!?!

#47 ·
one thing to consider is that all the dealerships nowadays the service dept. gets a commission if they sell something. so they cant be trusted to tell you the truth about needed repairs. ive been told i had two oil leaks needed fixing and it would cost 4000. yet on my cement floor i see no drops ever.

#50 ·
...that 2021 RAM TRX should be released end of this year...702HP 650 ft. lb torque...They have a T-Rex eating a Raptor under the hood...just like Jurassic Park. 1/4 mile in 4.5 sec. Solid axle Dana 60 rear (Very appealing). Apparently also a lighter and much stronger frame. They want like $71K starting though....ew.

#58 ·
That is true. But I wasn't able to find anything on the 8LV being a Toyota. Also the small BMW Yanmar did not make a very good Marine Engine. Lots of problems in the Jet Boats. Not sure who's fault it was but I do know that I would not buy any boat that has one. I believe it was called the 6BY.

#59 ·
It doesn’t really matter because they don’t even have their small diesel in the US, and that would be far easier than building a 3/4 or 1 ton from scratch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.