Don't you just hate it when - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 10-08-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
Stew

Default Don\'t you just hate it when

...you spend 10 minutes carefully baiting your hook with eggs or sandshrimp and the bait flies off on the first cast!
...you've been fly casting beautifully for the last half hour only to find that you've snapped off your fly!
...you throw a hellacious backlash just as the bite turns on!
...you've handed your new rod over to your fishing buddy to try out and he hooks a fish on it!
...you've spotted a unmolested fish and are ready to cast to it but you end up casting into the tree instead!
...you yell at the top of your lungs "FISH ON" in front of a crowd of other anglers only to find you've actually snagged a tree branch!
...you've carefully rigged your rod and are ready to fish your secret zipper hole only to find out you've missed a guide!
...you've donned your waders and are almost ready to go only to find out you've left one of your wading boots at home!
...it's freezing cold and with much effort you've re-tied your drift rig only to snag up and lose it on the very first cast.
...you're fly fishing and you're just about to do that final haul to where you know the fish are laying only to snag a branch behind you.

Most of these have happened to me over my many years of fishing but I'm sure most here can relate.
Feel free to add your own :grin:

[ 10-08-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 05:00 PM   #2
AuntyM

Default Re: Don\'t you just hate it when

Uh, no. None of these things have happened to me. Now that I know they happen to you, we won't be fishing together anymore. [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img]

Only kidding Stew! Just don't drive my boat up on a gravel bar.....
AuntyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
Stew

No sweat Marsha!
I can't drive a boat anyway

[ 10-08-2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #4
jocose
Chromer

You watch the most magnificient cast of your day soar into the middle of the channel, only to discover that your line is no longer attached to that weight... maybe putting light leader on the weight was not such a good idea..... and maybe those other fishermen are not laughing at you.... joco
sitting on a rock, sun on my cheek watching my rod tip..... priceless
jocose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:20 PM   #5
fisher-price
Steelhead

...When you launch your brand new sled in front of 15 people only to have to jump in and put in the 2nd plug before it sinks on it's maidin voyage

...When you hook that big chinook and reach for the net and its not there

...When you bring that tail walking fish to the boat and your buddy tail nets it and you lose it

...When someone else jumps into the water to save your sled from sinking when you forgot to put the plug in yet again

...When you finally get a take down and your new reel breaks and just free spins

Just a few of those "I hate it whens"

To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of the sun on blue water
fisher-price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
jocose
Chromer

When, you back down the ramp at the tillamook bay marina, and at the waters edge hit the brakes like the a true pro..., and then instead of seeing another excellant smooth launch you watch your boat suddenly lurch, twist sideways on the partially submerged trailer and hang at a precarious angle... did i remove that stern tie down strap? will the boat which is hanging half way off the trailer fall off if i pull up? is that my wife saying (what now seems to be obvious to me and the dozen other people watching on the dock).. "i think somethings wrong honey" are those other fishermen laughing at me again? is that guy waiting to launch his boat in front of me getting red with rage? will i get wet trying to unhook the strap which is three feet under water now? and finally is it too late to take up another hobby... say bowling, knitting, stamp collecting, golf? joco

[ 10-08-2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: jocose ]
Old 10-08-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
5-Cents
King Salmon

[img]graemlins/lurk.gif[/img]

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:21 PM   #8
Chromaflage
King Salmon

...When you get wadered up, put on your fins, get in your float tube, slide into the water, kick to the middle of the lake only do discover:

1. Hissssssssssssss.....
2. The three cups of coffee you drank on the way to the lake need to exit - NOW!!!!
3. The pin-hole in your waders you've been meaning to patch is now the size of a golf ball
4. There's a black F350 in the parking lot with its lights on - by the way, YOU own a black F350
5. That strap in the front of the seat - hmmm...should have buckled that one

ors
Old 10-08-2003, 08:30 PM   #9
jocose
Chromer

When mom has to pee, so you pull out the ice bucket you accidently stole from the super 8 motel and you dad and your wife turn your heads the other way, while mom squats over the bucket... only to discover afterwards, mom missed the bucket...but says its ok dear, it all went thru that teak wood grill in the middle of deck....so you.. (make a mental note to wash off those 8 life jackets stowed beneath that teak wood grill) and tell mom, how about we just motor into the marina so she could use the facilities next time and then hide the diet pepsi`s ... joco
Old 10-08-2003, 08:33 PM   #10
happybrew
Sturgeon

Brand new line on the reel, drag set light, and your first fish breaks off anyway.

You snag in the tree, turn your head and pull on the line and .... Doink! hook in the head. Good thing you turned your head the other way to protect your eyes.

And what I really, really, really hate.... You packed a killer lunch, with beer, awesome sandwich, fruit, cheese, cookies, jerky, crackers, candy, the works... And you left it behind on the kitchen counter. I really hate that one!

happybrew
Old 10-08-2003, 08:33 PM   #11
Dipnet
Ifish Nate

You get your smelt all half-hitched up nice and neat,toss it into the water and realize you forgot to hook it to the mainline!! :shocked: [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] :blush: And your loving husband never lets you forget it. Has to mention it every time you bait up!!!!

Dipnet :grin:
Old 10-08-2003, 08:36 PM   #12
happybrew
Sturgeon

Jocose- Sportsmans Warehouse has this toilet seat that fits over a 5 gallon pickle bucket, and the buckets too.

happybrew
Old 10-08-2003, 08:38 PM   #13
Chromaflage
King Salmon

ok. I have to add another - this happened to me 2 years ago

...it's the last day of duck season, you and your hunting partners show up on the west side of Sauvie's at 4:00AM to get in line. The chip bag comes by you draw #1!!! You walk up to the window, drooling over the choice of blinds....then they ask...may I see your federal duck stamp? Uh....you mean the one I left on the counter, next to the lunch I made?

ors

[ 10-08-2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: OregonRedside ]
Old 10-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
jocose
Chromer

happy brew i bought a plastic oversized bed pan at a medical supply store and printed in black ink on it... "Moms Head"..... she did real good this year, i also have the pfd`s in a waterproof bag beneath the teak wood grill.. [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img] joco
Old 10-08-2003, 08:43 PM   #15
wootersen
Tuna!

check..check...check...uh huh...yes...yep, I did that one too...yeah...yes...OK...this is embarrasing...yeah...another one....wow ! [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img]

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.... :grin:
wootersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 05:02 AM   #16
[email protected]
AdminiMom

You back up the boat at a busy launch, the boat floats off with the driver just fine, you head out to park, get parked just fine, and on the way to the facilities, you hear the boat driver scream, "GET BACK HERE! I FORGOT THE PLUG! I'm sinking!"
So, you race across the lot, get in the truck, back up furiously, dodging other vehicles trying to launch, push people out of the way, and finally get the boat back on the trailer."

Then the driver says to the guys helping him put the boat back on, "Thanks, I couldn't have done it without you."

????

Women get no respect!
:smile:
Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 05:47 AM   #17
GasJockey
Steelhead

Then there's the one where you cast into the trees as you drift by. No problem, thumb the spool turn you head sideways, it's mono so it will stretch a little before it breaks off. Snap, hook breaks off but the lead comes back at mach1. BOOM! Lead drills you in your package! :shocked: At least it was only a buckshot slinky. Guess I'm done fishing for the next hour!

So when can we start steelhead fishing?
GasJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 06:52 AM   #18
Full Freezer
Chromer

...or when you drove 2 hours to the launch only to find out you left the keys to the boat on the counter.

..when all four of your divers & fish flashes have turned into the nastiest mess youv'e ever seen....just when the bite @ B10 is red hot.

..when your anchor came loose from that really good knot & you can see it down there!

...or when you discover the 2 days worth of food for the trip got buried by the +50lbs. of fish & "juice". Yuck.
Full Freezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #19
RIPPLE
Chromer

Don't you hate it when you're meeting a buddy to go fishing but he launches at a different ramp:

6:15 a.m.- waiting at wrong ramp
6:35 a.m.- realize you're at the wrong ramp
6:40 a.m.- cell phone call, no worries he'll launch and pick you up.
6:55 a.m.-"hang tight buddy can't get the boat started"
7:10 a.m.-(cell calls continue) "dead battery, pulling truck battery out and down the ramp for a jump - hang tight see ya in 20"
7:30 a.m. " um... deader than a doornail, say can you do me a favor and swing by G.I. Joes, pick up a new battery and bring it to me?"
7:31 a.m. "ah, yah sure"
8:27 a.m. new battery in hand, drive to "his" ramp and hook up.
8:40 a.m.- Deader than a doornail, "what's up with your electrical system dude, people are catching fish out there!"
9:15 a.m.- while watching your buddy trace the electrical system and clean all the connections you happen to notice that his kill switch isn't attached!!!!!!
9:20 a.m.-attach kill switch and start motor
9:35 a.m.-Fishing

Missing the morning bite:
not so much fun

not letting him forget for last 3 years:
quite a bit of fun

A lifetime of not letting him forget:
PRICELESS

:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

[ 10-09-2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: RIPPLE ]
Old 10-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #20
h20dog
Tuna!

When you get up at o-dark thirty, get to the ramp, launch the boat, park the car,.....ok....who has the baot keys???

When your fish catching reputation preceeds you to the point that when your daughter asks the president if he wants to go fishing with you, he chuckles and mentions something about washing his hair.

when you have a 20 ounce pee and only a 12 ounce pop can on board
Old 10-09-2003, 10:48 AM   #21
Cool Texan
King Salmon

You get in the river at the crack of first light....your multi-piece fly rod is all ready to go, fly is on, visions of A River Runs Through It in your head, a few other fishermen nearby...your first cast begins beautifully, as your are shooting the fly to its location, the top section of your 4 piece rod shoots out too.

It gets worse when, in the split second that your fly is not interrupted by the disassembled rod, a nice trout grabs the fly.

I've only HEARD of things like that happening. :grin:
Cool Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:34 PM   #22
Old Coot
Ifish Nate

You miss the hookset and 45 feet of flyline and leader wrap gracefully around your head and shoulders...

You open the motor cowl and then remember that you forgot to replace that spare shear pin you had taped in there...

You're drifting alone and set the hook by pivoting the driftboat, and instead the oar snaps in half...
Old 10-09-2003, 01:43 PM   #23
jokester
King Salmon

1. You're plunking for steelhead, BS'ing with your friends and your rod goes off. You immediately take off running towards it, and your body starts to move forward, but your feet don't...FACEPLANT!!! :shocked:

2. You make that perfect cast right in the spot you wanted and look down at your reel...BIRDSNEST! Oh well....picking it out..bump bump bump...what the...FISH ON...UH OH! NO, NO, NO...line stretching.... S-N-A-P !!!!!

[ 10-09-2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: jokester ]

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." - Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #24
Jetsledder

You get back to the boat launch after fishing tie up the boat and go get the truck. Back the truck to the water and hop into the boat and shove off from the dock without first starting the motor. You lean down to start the motor and the key isnt where it should be. You forget that you :tongue: [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] left it in the truck on the truck keys.

[ 10-09-2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Jetsledder ]
Jetsledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:14 PM   #25
pu-rvr-fishr
Steelhead

Not as good as some of the others here but

....You get up extra early to get to your favorite hole before anyone else and when you arrive there are already 5 people standing

....You just tied your leader on to your swivel and discover you forgot to put on the corky
pu-rvr-fishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #26
jocose
Chromer

You finally agree to let your 19 year old son take the boat to lake merwin for some water skiiing with a few of his friends. You go over in detail every step of hooking the boat to the car,putting in the plugs,pulling it safely on the trailer,launching,motoring on the lake,skiing safely,getting the boat onto the trailer again and pulling it home.... With high anxiety you leave for work knowing this will either go great or or.. you decided not to think about or.... You come home for lunch and note the boat, the jeep and the kid are gone.. so far so good,soon tho.. the door bell rings and there is your kid, out of breath, red faced and as scared as you have ever seen him..... apparently the lesson on making sure the trailer was actually connected to the hitch ball didnt sink in.... and your boat has just been launched trailer and all into the culdesac down the street.... kids! you got to love them right? right? :grin:

(we worked for two hours to repair the damage and get the boat and trailer securely back onto the hitch, then i told john to continue on his trip, that this happens sometimes and not to worry, i also told him i would tell everyone i know about his misadventure for the rest of my life and with a smile and a pat on his back i told him that was his punishment for not taking better care of our boat toy...) joco
Old 10-09-2003, 03:58 PM   #27
HawgJaw
Steelhead

..you're springer fishing (for the third year in a row with no success) and try that herring on the bottom and spinner 10' up the line thing. You finally hook a nice fish (on the herring) only to realize that you put the toothpick (that holds the spinner in place)in so tight that you can't get the fish any closer than 10' from the boat. Then you figure out that all you need to do is pull in a couple feet of line by hand, then reel up the slack two or three times, and he is yours. Unfortunatly, the slack line winds around the reel handle, the fish takes that one last run...snap. Could happen to anybody, right?
Old 10-09-2003, 04:12 PM   #28
jokester
King Salmon

Quote:
....You just tied your leader on to your swivel and discover you forgot to put on the corky
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Man...if I had a dollar for every time i've done that! [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img]

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." - Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:14 PM   #29
Fisherfield
Chromer

....um....how about when you go buy some eggs...use them...and don't catch a fish..bring home the left overs..put them in the fridge...tell your wifey that you need to go fishing to "use up the eggs, before they go bad". Get on the road...almost to the location...and realize that you forgot the eggs.

Or, when you take a break from the float tube...head up to the john...head back down to the water...get settled and ready to start floating again...you sit down...and realize you didn't pull up your waders....and you get more wet than you would have, had you just "gone" in the waders!!

Or, when you get up really early to be the first guy at the park....show up at 5:45, because last time you fished that park it was open at 5:45, then you have to wait for the ranger to open the gate....at 6:55....you ask.."why didn't you open up sooner??" The ranger says the park opens when it's sun up...as you pull into the parking lot....a guy comes in behind you...grabs his gear and beats you to your spot....you fish another spot..with your eyes on your spot....and the other guy catches a fish...and you don't!

Team Game Misconduct
Fisherfield is offline   Reply With Quote