DRYFT Waders... update - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 12-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Whethole
Sturgeon

Default DRYFT Waders... update

I am in the market for some new waders. My simms have officially died, and my neoprenes are also on life support, as well as stinky.

I am REALLY considering Dryft's Primo front zip waders. From the description, they seem virtually identical to the Simms g4z in construction and materials used. Dryft has a deal for $600 that includes their primo waders, a neck gaiter, and their rain coat. Seems pretty good and they said they honor warrenties and defects. I asked them why they sell their products for so cheap compared to simms and patagonia, and their reply was because they sell factory to consumer, no middle man mark ups. Sounds sound to me...

So anyone who has a pair, speak up and let me know your thoughts on this small, PNW company.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Whethole
Sturgeon

Default Re: DRYFT Waders... update

Really? No one has ANY info on this company or their products? I guess i will be the Official ifish tester for this product. I will post about these waders after i have had some time put in them. Wish me dry luck!
Old 12-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
BaldTexan
Steelhead

Good luck! Looking forward to a field test report. I've been eyeballing those and will be in the market for another set soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BaldTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
HuskyKMA
Ifish Nate

Looking forward to hearing some feedback. I see them advertised on Facebook all the time.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

Just got myself new waders...forgot about the dryft ones or I would have looked at them again. Went with sonic pro's this time around. They seemed to have pretty consistent good reviews everywhere I looked...my hodgeman H5's weren't to bad....they came with a small leak which ****** me off and they have ZERO customer service, but the leak never got worse. If they hadn't came with that leak I'm sure they would have lasted me another year, pretty tuff waders but I don't want a leak no matter how small with how cold this winter is looking to be so I got new ones....

Last edited by FishOnShawn; 12-10-2016 at 12:25 AM.
FishOnShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Kind of funny reading wader reviews. Sure there's stuff you can get outta the way in the first few outings.... fit, style, comfort, features. But ONE thing trumps them all and you won't know for a long time down the road... well at least hopefully not.

Durability against leaks... in the end, when you really think about it, this is really the ONLY thing that counts. How long will they hold up leak-free?

Waders that leak right outta the gate?

Things that make ya go... HMMMMMMM?

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Any update on these? It's time for a new pair and I am going with either the Dryft or Redington sonic pro
1nutinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #8
orarcher
Ifish Nate

$600 waders !!
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #9
orarcher
Ifish Nate

I'm all for getting what ya pay for I guess I just never realized they were that pricey !!
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orarcher View Post
$600 waders !!
NO, the Primo Zip-front Waders are only $379.00......

The Primo Zip-front Wader & Primo Wading Jacket package is $612.00. It includes the waders, the jacket and the Wizard facemask.........
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

I'm happy with my sonic pro's so far. They fit well. Neoprene booties are a tad smaller than most brands so there's not as much to bunch up in your boots. Gravel guard is nice and wide and not a pain to pull over the boot. Haven't had them long enough to see how well they will last without a leak but they are comfortable. You can find them for $199 at some places but I saw a lot of places charging $299, so shop smart.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #12
Spinitrode
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwo View Post
NO, the Primo Zip-front Waders are only $379.00......

The Primo Zip-front Wader & Primo Wading Jacket package is $612.00. It includes the waders, the jacket and the Wizard facemask.........
Still a bargain (if they last at all) compared to the Simms zip-fronts...
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #13
Whethole
Sturgeon

Well, its UPDATE TIME!

For those of you who were interested in wanting to know more about Dryft waders, i can FINALLY make my report. I received my Primo zip front waders and wading rain jacket at the beginning of march. What a deal it was for the package! $612 dollars got me the best fishing apparel i have owned to date. I am a big n tall guy, so finding specialized items like this is kinda hard to find, and I'm very glad i found these. Plenty of room to maneuver in them, light, comfortable, and most important, WATERPROOF! The durability test has passed so far, but more time will be the true test. My buddy has the simms g4z waders, and my Dryft waders look identical in construction to them for half the price! I almost paid $900 for simms, and im glad a buddy reminded me about Dryft. The Dryft waders also look WAY better than the g4z, mainly because of the seahawks green zippers.

So far, i am very happy with my purchase and recommend this company to anyone who is interested in saving bucks for the same product as simms. The only difference is with Dryft, you are buying factory direct, as well as supporting a local PNW company.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #14
BaldTexan
Steelhead

Thanks for the report! My current waders are inexpensive and I've already patched them 3 times. I'm going to keep them as my summer bush whacking/wading for summer steelhead waders and purchase a nice set for fall and winter and have been considering Dryft. Too much climbing, sliding, and thorny brush hiking in the summer for expensive waders.

Anyone have a high mileage durability report on ANY model Dryft waders?

Old 04-05-2017, 05:19 AM   #15
quackersnacker
Tuna!

Thanks for the update. My cheapos survived the winter, so It's time to think about the replacement/upgrade.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
CAPT KUJO
Ifish Nate

We are partial to USIA Waders, but we're a bit biased
http://www.shopusia.com/waders/
Old 04-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #17
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT KUJO View Post
We are partial to USIA Waders, but we're a bit biased
http://www.shopusia.com/waders/
I have always wanted to try your waders, but the inner leg seam is a deal breaker, I would run through those waders in less than a season, probably a couple weeks of fishing.
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #18
BaldTexan
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I have always wanted to try your waders, but the inner leg seam is a deal breaker, I would run through those waders in less than a season, probably a couple weeks of fishing.

I agree. For those of us that hike and wade a lot to different fishing spots, the inner seam takes a beating.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Greenleaf
Steelhead

What's the scoop with USIA inner seam issues?? I'm in the market as well.
Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #20
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenleaf View Post
Not really an issue. Some believe that having an inner leg seam leads to quicker wear, causing the probability for a leak to go up. Other manufacturers have no seam there, which could be considered good.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #21
BaldTexan
Steelhead

My inner seams wore and leaked in less than a year. I hike streams a lot in the summer and in 4 weekends of hiking/wading both inner seams developed a leak. They will be my summer set now and will continue to be re-patched and abused. A new set this fall will not be a model with inner seams.....unless they are an unbelievably dirt cheap deal that I just can't pass up and they will get reinforcement on the inner seam.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #22
HuskyKMA
Ifish Nate

I was planning on getting a pair of Dryft waders soon, glad to hear people are liking them.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #23
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whethole View Post
Not really an issue. Some believe that having an inner leg seam leads to quicker wear, causing the probability for a leak to go up. .
it's a 100% fact for me, if there is an inner leg seam, I will have the material on the edge of the seam wore through in very short order...big long leaks that don't patch well, and wear again on the edge of the patch. 20 days of regular winter steelhead fishing with me, and waders with an inner leg seam will be leaking....I have tried quite a few brands, none have lasted 20 days.

Dryft, simms, William joseph, and others know of, and have addressed that issue.

Last edited by roosevelt; 04-05-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #24
Whethole
Sturgeon

That has happened with my thunder thighs. I left out the second sentence, which would of said, "more of a problem." Oopsie. Your right on this. I have went through waders in that region, and its always a nice way to start a cold winter morning when ur twig n berries get a frigid blast.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #25
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Dryft, simms, William joseph, and others know of, and have addressed that issue.
Pretty much ALL the premium wader mfrs have addressed this common design flaw.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #26
BaldTexan
Steelhead

Quote:
it's a 100% fact for me, if there is an inner leg seam, I will have the material on the edge of the seam wore through in very short order...big long leaks that don't patch well.

I put a thin layer of Shoe Goo on the leaky seam and after it has set, cover that with a strip of duct tape. Held up all summer. Good enough for summer waders. I'd never put premium waders through summer hiking, butt sliding, and climbing.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #27
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

Thanks for the report.

Eyefish nailed it with the durability comment. I've tried so hard to find a solid, reasonably priced wader that keeps up with me but most turn out to be junk. I keep going back to Simms and the extra money I spend on them is more than made up for by not having to get a new pair after several trips or months. I do a ton of hiking - sometimes 10-20 miles a day on various streams and the Simms seem to hold up the best.

I will be following this brand and if people start giving it positive reviews I might have to try them out!
Hydrophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 AM   #28
tomc
Super Moderator

Unhappy Re: DRYFT Waders... update

I'm still using Streamline's that I've had for 20 years. Unfortunately, they went out of business.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #29
shorthair
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I'm still using Streamline's that I've had for 20 years. Unfortunately, they went out of business.
That often happens to a company that builds a good product that people don't need to replace in short order, good products need a really good marketing or they fade away.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #30
roosevelt
King Salmon

anymore feedback on these? looks like they will be my next pair. in December, when I was wader shopping, I had it narrowed down to dryft, and simms freestones....I got the simms and am very disappointed, the cloth mesh on the inside, and waterproof membrane is delaminating, and one spot leaks now, and lots of spots are going to leak soon.

I cannot come up with the receipt, so I think i'm SOL. I may email simms to see what they say, but I have never had that happen so quick on any waders before. that is what killed my longest lasting waders (William joseph) but it took 2.5 hard seasons on them to do it.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #31
cully
Ifish Nate

buy Patagonia and never look back. Guaranteed for life, with or without a receipt. I've had my current pair 5 years. This last month they decided to get moist in the seat. Patagonia will be getting them back on my next trip to Ptown. I do have a receipt. But, I'm sure I do nearly no bushwhacking like you do just a lot of oar work and rope seat scuffing.

Quote:
anymore feedback on these? looks like they will be my next pair. in December, when I was wader shopping, I had it narrowed down to dryft, and simms freestones....I got the simms and am very disappointed, the cloth mesh on the inside, and waterproof membrane is delaminating, and one spot leaks now, and lots of spots are going to leak soon.

I cannot come up with the receipt, so I think i'm SOL. I may email simms to see what they say, but I have never had that happen so quick on any waders before. that is what killed my longest lasting waders (William joseph) but it took 2.5 hard seasons on them to do it.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #32
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
buy Patagonia and never look back. Guaranteed for life, with or without a receipt.
Never mind that the company makes some of the highest quality technical gear in the world. The leadership at Patagonia has a corporate conscience as well. Here's an organization with a commendable business model which seeks to minimize its impact on the planet, and give something substantial back by financially contributing to NGO's that seek more sustainable management of our wild resources.

Patagonia gets first crack at my dollars for technical outerwear.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 AM   #33
cully
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
Never mind that the company makes some of the highest quality technical gear in the world. The leadership at Patagonia has a corporate conscience as well. Here's an organization with a commendable business model which seeks to minimize its impact on the planet, and give something substantial back by financially contributing to NGO's that seek more sustainable management of our wild resources.

Patagonia gets first crack at my dollars for technical outerwear.
Rodger that
Old 05-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #34
Greenleaf
Steelhead

Any updates on the S14 Dryft waders from owners? I'm getting a new pair next week and its either the S14's or Sonic Pro's. I prefer the color patterns on the Dryfts but I know Redington has a solid reputation.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #35
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Any updates on the S14 Dryft waders from owners? I'm getting a new pair next week and its either the S14's or Sonic Pro's. I prefer the color patterns on the Dryfts but I know Redington has a solid reputation.
don't want to talk you out of dryft, but sonic pro's are on sierra trading post for 150 bucks.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #36
FishOnShawn
Ifish Nate

I got the sonic pros now and they have lasted the longest so far with no leak, which isn't long...last fall...but I'm hard on waders and usually spring a small leak pretty fast. I'm happy with them. Just be careful where u buy from. Some places list em for $300 but you can easily find them for $200 or less.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:35 AM   #37
Greenleaf
Steelhead

Thanks for the tips. $150 is a hard price to pass up! The more I save on waders the more I get to spend on other stuff...I do really dig the design/colors of the Dryfts though.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #38
shanem
Tuna!

Go with the Sonic Pro you won't be disappointed. I had a pair that lasted 3.5 years (fishing nearly every weekend and a two-week fish daily trip each year) and never had a problem. As a fly fisherman I wade a lot even when o have the boat. The leak that finally happened was only a minor one in the right foot last summer. I couldn't locate it to patch it so sent it back for $40 they repaired it. Finally retired them after 4 years and got a new pair of Sonic Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #39
Whethole
Sturgeon

I DO have an update on my Dryft primo waders. I havent really put them thru hell yet, they have been superb in the 4 trips I've used them. And Greenleaf your right, the primos look sharp, AND they keep my dry.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #40
HOOKUP
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I had to have my inner seam repaired after very moderate use. Boots wore out fairly quick and I updated with the heavy Bogs. They are decent waders and I like to use them for rocky duck hunts with the super durable material. For a fishing and multiple use wader I would look else where.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #41
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whethole View Post
I DO have an update on my Dryft primo waders. I havent really put them thru hell yet, they have been superb in the 4 trips I've used them. And Greenleaf your right, the primos look sharp, AND they keep my dry.
4 trips?

I'm gonna dig this thread up in 2021 for the 4 yr review.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 05-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #42
roosevelt
King Salmon

Post Re: DRYFT Waders... update

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. $150 is a hard price to pass up! The more I save on waders the more I get to spend on other stuff...I do really dig the design/colors of the Dryfts though.
Yeah, I couldn't pass it up, needed a backup pair so I can send my Simms in for warranty...these fit the bill.

Too many solid reviews on the Sonics to pass up.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #43
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
4 trips?

I'm gonna dig this thread up in 2021 for the 4 yr review.
What can i say, its been a whet, whet, whet, whet year. Next fall/winter will be better.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #44
Greenleaf
Steelhead

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't pass it up, needed a backup pair so I can send my Simms in for warranty...these fit the bill.

Too many solid reviews on the Sonics to pass up.
I ended up getting the Red's for $150 as well. Now if only the jacket would go on sale for the same price!!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #45
roosevelt
King Salmon

I grabbed a pair too, too good to pass up, never had them, but solid reviews.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #46
Whethole
Sturgeon

Well ifishers, it's been 2 seasons now since I've been using my Dryft waders and I said I would report back when I have put them through the paces. I aim to please! On top of being the most stylish waders out there (not a fan of the beige run of the mill waders color,) they seem to also do their job of keeping me dry whilst wading in the drink. Paired with the Dryft wading rain jacket, my belongings and I have stayed nice and dry for the whole day no matter how much water is surrounding me. All the zippered pockets also do their job of keeping water out. The best feature by far is the zippered front. It makes putting them on much easier, and it's nice to keep your rain jacket on while relieving yourself. I've been trudging banks and jumping around the drift boat with ease. Due to my 6'5" 270 lb frame, it's hard to find clothes that fit well, let along waders. These have more then enough room for me. Whether trudging the bank or jumping around the drift boat, the Dryft waders allow range of motion and don't feel like I'm gonna rip them if I need to span a downed log or hop into the boat. I have yet to use the Dryft warranty, but it sounds like they will help out if ever the need. I hope they stand behind their product. Based on how they have done so far, I would recommend these to anyone who's looking for a set of quality waders. It's also nice to support a local PNW business.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #47
Guthooker
Sturgeon

Are they made in the U.S.A. or imports ? simms waders are made in the usa but the jackets are china I'm on my 4th season with my g-3 and so far so good Hope I didn't just jinx myself. I might look into the dryft next time around.
Guthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #48
roosevelt
King Salmon

really appreciate the update!

I am pretty intrigued by the wading pants, always wanted a pair, good chance to kill 2 birds with one stone. thanks again, and glad to hear. they need to start making boots, it would be nice to see a sub 100 dollar boot that's built well, imo
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #49
Whethole
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthooker View Post
Are they made in the U.S.A. or imports ? simms waders are made in the usa but the jackets are china I'm on my 4th season with my g-3 and so far so good Hope I didn't just jinx myself. I might look into the dryft next time around.
They are made in China. Probably why they are less expensive than the Simms. Same exact waders, cheaper overhead. Sad, I thought they were made here.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 AM   #50
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
really appreciate the update!

I am pretty intrigued by the wading pants, always wanted a pair, good chance to kill 2 birds with one stone. thanks again, and glad to hear. they need to start making boots, it would be nice to see a sub 100 dollar boot that's built well, imo
A caution on wading beyond the crotch with those pants. Promo video on the website said water-resistant zipper. I believe that's secret code for zipper leaks.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #51
BaldTexan
Steelhead

I bought the non zippered version this past summer + the wading jacket after reading Whetholes short term review. I would like the zipper feature but I just don’t trust a submerged zipper. I have put mine through probably 4 dozen fishing trips. Wading from the bank, drift boat trips, plus a few surf fishing days. They are comfortable, fit well, and they have kept me 100% dry - even when a sneaker wave pulled the rug out from under me while surf fishing, lesson learned, but made doubly impressed with the jacket. The construction of the waders looks and feels like it should hold up for a good, long time. I am very pleased with the waders and just as pleased with the wading jacket.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #52
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
A caution on wading beyond the crotch with those pants. Promo video on the website said water-resistant zipper. I believe that's secret code for zipper leaks.
I RARELY wade deeper than mid thigh, and for sure don't in moving water, I do agree those zippers aren't trustworthy
Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #53
HuskyKMA
Ifish Nate

Quote:
That's because the zippers on the wading pants don't open to the interior of the waders. They just keep stuff in your pockets, or in the case of the crotch zipper there's an inner waterproof flap on the inside that no water would get past.

The chest waders do have waterproof zippers.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #54
Salmon N Steel
Ifish Nate

Are the waders breathable? I’ve heard conflicting reports of people saying they are and others saying there not.
Salmon N Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #55
BaldTexan
Steelhead

They are advertised as breathable. Don’t know how you would test that feature.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #56
Guthooker
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldTexan View Post
They are advertised as breathable. Don’t know how you would test that feature.

if your wet on the inside after walking they are not breathable. after owning non breathable waders I cant imagine going back, being damp after fishing makes you wonder if you have a small leak. one thing I really like about my simms is I can put them on before I leave the house if I want and wear them all day saves a little time when I get to my favorite spot.
Guthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #57
roosevelt
King Salmon

I just ordered a pair. my sonic pros are on the downhill slide, but they were excellent... had my William josephs in my shop (wore them once) and was saving them until the redingtons died... went to go get them a couple days ago to find them chewed up by rats.... they were hanging! oh well... nothing I can do about that now, so I have been wader shopping the past few days... nothing seems to compare to Dryft waders for the price, especially no other 5 layer waders in that price range. been wanting to try them, so now I get to (glass half full stupid rodents!)

couldn't find a pair of William joseph waders for sale anywhere, so Dryft it is
Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #58
Steelheader4life
Chromer

My Simms finally have a leak so I also need to get some new waders. I also looked everywhere for some William Joseph’s but couldn’t find a thing. It sounds like I am leaning towards some Dryft’s as well.
Steelheader4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #59
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheader4life View Post
My Simms finally have a leak so I also need to get some new waders. I also looked everywhere for some William Joseph’s but couldn’t find a thing. It sounds like I am leaning towards some Dryft’s as well.
it seems like Dryft are the best bang for your buck. Redington sonic pros are excellent too, but they are 300 bucks everywhere. I think the dryft will outlast them too. they seem to compete directly with simms G3. if the rio gellegos were on sale, I would have went that route... or skeena. I will keep my eyes open for them on sale
Old 02-18-2019, 05:13 PM   #60
lilnorthfork
Sturgeon

The rats did you a favor. Picked up a pair for my son based on recommendations here... they leaked like a sieve. Aqua sealed the leaks and more sprung. Total waste of money.