My world famous smoked fish recipe. - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Phish Whisperer
Cutthroat

Default My world famous smoked fish recipe.

My world famous smoked fish recipe. I use this recipe for all fish.
5% liquid brine, per gallon of water (10% brine will preserve fish but is not enjoyable to eat):
- 3/4 cup non-iodized salt;
- 2 lbs brown sugar;
- black pepper and
- garlic powder to taste.
Brine at least over night, I like 24 hours. Remove from brine WITHOUT RINSING and put on a wire rack on a cookie sheet. Put in fridge to develop pellicle. The pellicle is critical for proper smoking. I do overnight. Then smoke with hickory or hickory/alder mix (like little chief chucks). I use hickory firewood in an offset smoker. Be sure to try keep the smoking temperature close to or below 100deg for at least one hour before letting the temperature come up to what most people smoke at (150deg). The lower smoking temp of 100deg (think nearer to cold smoking) adds a completely different and desirable smoke flavor than does a higher smoking temp. Smoke till done (depends on ambient temperature and humidity).

My favorite teriyaki recipe is one I saw on OPB. 1 quart soy sauce, 6 lbs brown sugar, ¼ cup onion powder. I warm up in a pan to make sure all of the sugar dissolves then cool in the fridge before putting fish in. Expensive, but awesome if you like sweeter fish.

Phish Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
newportfisher
Tuna!

Default Re: My world famous smoked fish recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Whisperer View Post
My world famous smoked fish recipe. I use this recipe for all fish.
5% liquid brine, per gallon of water (10% brine will preserve fish but is not enjoyable to eat):
- 3/4 cup non-iodized salt;
- 2 lbs brown sugar;
- black pepper and
- garlic powder to taste.
Brine at least over night, I like 24 hours. Remove from brine WITHOUT RINSING and put on a wire rack on a cookie sheet. Put in fridge to develop pellicle. The pellicle is critical for proper smoking. I do overnight. Then smoke with hickory or hickory/alder mix (like little chief chucks). I use hickory firewood in an offset smoker. Be sure to try keep the smoking temperature close to or below 100deg for at least one hour before letting the temperature come up to what most people smoke at (150deg). The lower smoking temp of 100deg (think nearer to cold smoking) adds a completely different and desirable smoke flavor than does a higher smoking temp. Smoke till done (depends on ambient temperature and humidity).

My favorite teriyaki recipe is one I saw on OPB. 1 quart soy sauce, 6 lbs brown sugar, ¼ cup onion powder. I warm up in a pan to make sure all of the sugar dissolves then cool in the fridge before putting fish in. Expensive, but awesome if you like sweeter fish.
I am a smoking newbie...do you add those dry ingredients to a gallon of water or just directly onto the fish?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
Sneaker
Steelhead

This sounds great, thanks!
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Chesapeake
King Salmon

If the goal is 5% then you’d be better to tell them the weight of salt to add, or the exact salt product. Different salt products weigh significantly different per volume.

If they use coarse or sea salt or Kosher their ratio would be lower.

Otherwise you recipe seems like a standard loose 4:1 ratio brine. Maybe 4.5:1.

I do agree, that ratio is pretty well world famous.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

This is the same thing we have used for years, on all fish.

The one thing I do different is, the next morning I do rinse the fish. If not pressed for time I like to put them on the racks and let them drip dry and and dry off a bit.

I have sprinkled with coarse black pepper or garlic while on the racks,but not always.

There is always guessing involved, because the quantity of fish varies, sometimes it maybe 5 pounds, other times 15 to 20.

I just make sure it’s all covered and stir it up a few times, just to make sure the brining is uniform.

Your right, you can’t go wrong with this brine.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Blue fin
Chromer

I put the brined fish on racks and put a fan on them until the pellicle forms the way I want before smoking.
Blue fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
MattiG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
If the goal is 5% then you’d be better to tell them the weight of salt to add, or the exact salt product. Different salt products weigh significantly different per volume.

If they use coarse or sea salt or Kosher their ratio would be lower.

Otherwise you recipe seems like a standard loose 4:1 ratio brine. Maybe 4.5:1.

I do agree, that ratio is pretty well world famous.
Guessing that's salinity and not a ratio.

If you're into wet brining, get a salinometer.

Tired of seeing anasakis crawl out a filet that's been brined for 24 hours. So I just go a bit heavy on the brine and then freshen it to taste (small sample chunk).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
MattiG is offline   Reply With Quote