Restoring shine on granite countertops - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
freediver111
Tuna!

Default Restoring shine on granite countertops

I've been trying to research the best way to restore the shiny appearance of granite and I'm coming up with a lot of confusing information.
The story: Just bought a house a month ago and there are granite countertops in the bathrooms and the kitchen. Around the sinks and faucets the granite is dull and not shiny at all and stands out against the rest of the "shiny" polished granite.
Tried cleaning with granite cleaner, tried a high quality granite sealant, and it looks the same.
I read that you can buy a polishing/buffing compound and use a variable speed grinder or buffing tool. Any recommendations? I'd hate to do any damage to it.

Thanks for any advice in advance........

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
GDuck
Tuna!

Default Re: Restoring shine on granite countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediver111 View Post
I've been trying to research the best way to restore the shiny appearance of granite and I'm coming up with a lot of confusing information.
The story: Just bought a house a month ago and there are granite countertops in the bathrooms and the kitchen. Around the sinks and faucets the granite is dull and not shiny at all and stands out against the rest of the "shiny" polished granite.
Tried cleaning with granite cleaner, tried a high quality granite sealant, and it looks the same.
I read that you can buy a polishing/buffing compound and use a variable speed grinder or buffing tool. Any recommendations? I'd hate to do any damage to it.

Thanks for any advice in advance........
I'm not going to be a lot of help....but...I have what is called "granite tile" in the kitchen. After having dull spots, smears, you name it, I then started my research. Its been so long, I cannot recall all of what I found, in my case I learned I may not even have actual granite, I can't recall what it might be--read on about selaers.

There are 2 schools of thought: YES you have to seal granite. NO you do not have to seal it. Apparently the YES group seals granite, but the sealer sits on top as well, not only IN the granite. You use cleaning products, and you smear or rub off the sealer. Thus, supposedly, you stick with the same or similar product line of sealer/cleaner, so you don't have smears. The NO group does absolutely nothing--no sealers--and you hear them say no problems at all...one guy is a custom builder who uses WINDEX and claims no problems on his polished black granite. The YES group claims they will get water stains. Me, I have water stains in whatever this stuff is. Supposedly the first 6 months of cleaning now and again with regular cleaners removed the sealer and that is why I have stains. Then, the net being a dangerous thing, I hear I may not even have granite in the first place (note: I don't care anymore).

There will be people here who know better than I. However, I would take some digital pics, got to a speciality tile shop (all kinds in the PDX industrial area in NW and SE), show them the problem, and they will probably show you some stuff to strip the sealer, re-seal, or keep it clean/sealed without stripping/sealing all the time. I use a bottle of cleaner/sealer, and call it good. I'll never do granite again though. I'll go manmade in a neutral color so I can spray with 409 or something and be done with it.

GD
GDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
sadiesassy
King Salmon

I would go to a place that sells granite and ask what they recommend - Maybe you can find out who built the house and who the supplier was.

I have had Granite and granite tiles. Colors: Black, WHite and Light brown. No real problem with them - just keep them clean. particularly grout lines for tiles.

My primary cleaner is soap and water - every now and then 409 if I have a difficult spot next to the stove. Never use any abrasive cleaners
Ever so often ( 3- 6 months) I use the SCI Cleaner after I have cleaned the surface with soap and water. - not sure if it is considered a sealant? It is a granite cleaner.
Seems to restore the shine.

Might go to their website for some information.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
fishface
Steelhead

My understanding is that granite absorbs water. If that is true, could the
dark color around the sink and faucets occur simply because it had repeatedly gotten wet? It's worth asking the experts.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
cascadebull
Tuna!

Some contacts in Portland if you still need info on granite.

Pental is granite supplier. I picked out my slab here. They have 1000's of slabs of granite and marble. They know there material. Actually my slab is impregnated with a type of resin and Does not need sealed.

Casa Bella another big supplier.

Stoneworks in Hubbard, Oregon fabricate and install. They know their business very well.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
freediver111
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascadebull View Post
Some contacts in Portland if you still need info on granite.

Pental is granite supplier. I picked out my slab here. They have 1000's of slabs of granite and marble. They know there material. Actually my slab is impregnated with a type of resin and Does not need sealed.

Casa Bella another big supplier.

Stoneworks in Hubbard, Oregon fabricate and install. They know their business very well.
Thanks for the contacts!
I'll give them a call since nobody around my area seems to cater in granite.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:26 AM   #7
oloutt
Cutthroat

Do you have a polished granite? The polished granite never needed anything more than a wet rag to maintain the shine. I kept it clean with a wet rag, and if I wanted a little shine, I rubbed in some mineral oil. Do you reseal your granite countertops periodically? Read this info https://graniteprotect.com/ to find out more on sealing
oloutt is offline   Reply With Quote