Aqua Jet Deck Washdown acting up again - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 01-06-2020, 11:19 PM   #1
[email protected]
Tuna!

Default Aqua Jet Deck Washdown acting up again

Well I had plans to prep for 2020 Salmon tonight but another hiccup. Never ends!!!!. Seems my deck wash down doesn’t want to work full time....originally I thought it was the switch on the panel so I replaced that.....everything seems OK and switch lights up but pump doesn’t want to run very long.....it will peter out after about a minute of spraying and light will go out on switch. Eventually it may come back on its own and or I hit the fuse switch and it will go.....I’m assuming it’s the pump but I hate to by another if that is not it. I already have a few old Aqua’s laying Around the garage that do run but acted in similar ways to my current Aqua Jet does. Any advice and I posted on the community forum asking which brands people prefer.

Thanks Derrick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derrick454@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
[email protected]
Tuna!

Default Re: Aqua Jet Deck Washdown acting up again

Btw Strainer was cleaned and the boat is stored inside so we can’t blame the cold.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
baldicrabber
Coho

Have you tried changing the micro switch? I got a used boat a few years ago. The washdown pump didnt work and i posted on here. People told me to change the micro switch. You can get a bunch for cheap on Ebay. I changed that and i have not had an issue with it since. I primarily fish the salt as well, and i just unhook the hoses from the pump during the winter to drain the water out.
baldicrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
MattPark
King Salmon

This is likely all you need. They aren't extremely well sealed in the base of the pump, the contacts in the switch and the connections themselves can corrode fairly easily.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
[email protected]
Tuna!

Thanks for info I’ll try to micro switch.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPark View Post

This is likely all you need. They aren't extremely well sealed in the base of the pump, the contacts in the switch and the connections themselves can corrode fairly easily.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if the it’s the micro switch wouldn’t the pump not run at all???

Just To see how to do it I tore apart my other old pump that wasn’t running full time and the micro switch wasn’t corroded....Anyways I got power to it and then tried water and it wouldn’t pump water but the pump was running. I’m not sure what’s going on and will probably just order another pump. Well I will have plenty of parts laying around w 2 BUM pumps. Actually 3 old ones. Ugh.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
MattPark
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but if the it’s the micro switch wouldn’t the pump not run at all???

Just To see how to do it I tore apart my other old pump that wasn’t running full time and the micro switch wasn’t corroded....Anyways I got power to it and then tried water and it wouldn’t pump water but the pump was running. I’m not sure what’s going on and will probably just order another pump. Well I will have plenty of parts laying around w 2 BUM pumps. Actually 3 old ones. Ugh.
The failure can be intermittent, as it's usually just a poor connection at some location on the switch. You might be able to stomp on the floor or look at it sideways and it could start working again.

It's obviously not the only part that can fail, just one that seems very common. It sounds like you might have deeper issues, nothing a new pump can't solve.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPark View Post
The failure can be intermittent, as it's usually just a poor connection at some location on the switch. You might be able to stomp on the floor or look at it sideways and it could start working again.

It's obviously not the only part that can fail, just one that seems very common. It sounds like you might have deeper issues, nothing a new pump can't solve.

New pump installed but still not 100%!!!!

So others words I have replaced the switch and the pump but it still knocks off line. Yesterday I cleaned up the fuse relay above switch and it definitely pumps a lot longer but I still have a issue some where. Probably have to run New wire.
I also bought a accumulator from Sea-Flo and will install that eventually before Springers.

I will eventually give away or sell for cheap the other pump since it probably still good....
I already have 2 others for odd ball parts

Thanks for the feed back. D

Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
FrogPond
Sturgeon

I replaced my washdown pump this fall and still had issues. I replaced the wire from the panel to the pump and it all works fine now. My boat is a 2005 NR Scout.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #10
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPond View Post
I replaced my washdown pump this fall and still had issues. I replaced the wire from the panel to the pump and it all works fine now. My boat is a 2005 NR Scout.

Ok thanks. What gauge wire ?

Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #11
FrogPond
Sturgeon

18 or 14. I have two spools and I’m not sure which one I used.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:46 AM   #12
1pump
King Salmon

Does your Aqua have a low current control circuit, and a high current main? From what you're saying, it sounds like something is getting warm and tripping a thermal, or maybe a relay. IDK if motors that small have a thermal on the control circuit, but bigger ones do.

I run a Jabsco, no problems in 9 years except for one weird episode when it decided to ignore the toggle switch and started running on it's own. I assumed it was the contactor, so I shut off the breaker until I had time to investigate, but it never did it again. And that was years ago.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #13
Pensacola
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
Does your Aqua have a low current control circuit, and a high current main? From what you're saying, it sounds like something is getting warm and tripping a thermal, or maybe a relay. IDK if motors that small have a thermal on the control circuit, but bigger ones do.

I run a Jabsco, no problems in 9 years except for one weird episode when it decided to ignore the toggle switch and started running on it's own. I assumed it was the contactor, so I shut off the breaker until I had time to investigate, but it never did it again. And that was years ago.

I second that on Jabsco! Many years and many boats with these pumps. Only failure was directly attributed to Pilot Error and a frozen pump at Diamond Lake. I just replaced my switch panel in the Free Drifter with a
waterproof model (only $29.95 with 5 switches and sealed fuses). Tinned wire and waterproof connectors eliminate the possibilities of so many problems!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
smoky
Chromer

I replaced my switch. Nothing.

Bought a new pump but also replaced the wiring.

All good.

Wired the old pump right to the battery just for fun.

Old pump worked. (17yrs old)

Problem was in the hot wire from pump to battery. Had a nick in it after 17yrs.

So it would work intermittently.

Now have new switch, pump, and wiring.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote