Hey Pellet stove owners! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 10-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
slickitem
Steelhead

Default Hey Pellet stove owners!

I am on my last year of burning firewood, been doing it now for 35+ years but I just hit 70 and getting harder and harder to fine reasonable priced wood every year, wife's lungs are not as good as they once were, do to second hand smoke from her parents as a kid, plus the fact my will is there but the body is not!...so were are goin with a Pellet stove, after this year and I want to know who has the best price on pellets, thanks guys and gals!

slickitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Captain Kirk
Chromer

Default Re: Hey Pellet stove owners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickitem View Post
I am on my last year of burning firewood, been doing it now for 35+ years but I just hit 70 and getting harder and harder to fine reasonable priced wood every year, wife's lungs are not as good as they once were, do to second hand smoke from her parents as a kid, plus the fact my will is there but the body is not!...so were are goin with a Pellet stove, after this year and I want to know who has the best price on pellets, thanks guys and gals!

My advice is don't go for best price they are not all equal in heat output and ash build up. It is no different than different kinds of wood you burn in your wood stove. My preference to date is Packsaddle 100% doug fir. But with that said they are pricing them higher this year at around 245 a ton vs competitors @ around 205.

Also lugging in 40lbs of pellets at a time to fill the stove is as much work as packing wood. And if the power is out you don't have heat without a generator.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
namu mac
Sturgeon

Costco has Cascade brand at $209.99/ton. Theyre 100% Doug Fir. I've burned Packsaddle and Cascade and can tell no difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
I-Builtit
Tuna!

Have you already purchased your stove? If it's an insert as opposed to a free standing one, you'll have to pull it out every year or so to clean it. Not fun, ask me how I know.
I-Builtit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Williams
Ifish Nate

Default Hey Pellet stove owners!

I’am paying 245 a ton for Packsaddle. It’s the only pellet I’ll burn,way cleaner then anything else I have tried.
If this is your main heat source, I would reconsider. You will miss how quiet that wood burning stove was. Also as Capt. Kirk stated,handling 40lb bags gets old at 70 years old. They are not as dirty as firewood but they are dusty. This Harmon stove has functioned flawless for 10 years.

Last edited by Williams; 10-04-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

All of the "cons" 100% correct but, boy, does it heat our fairly large home. 2 story. Nothing like wood or pellet heat!
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
sliverpicker
King Salmon

I've been burning pellets since 1992. Tried almost all the brands of pellets and currently use Packsaddle. They burn much cleaner with less ash in my old Breckwell insert. I have a generator for when the power goes out, which is several times each winter each of Sandy.
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
fish smacker
Steelhead

I bought a Harmon stove,that we use exclusively in the winter on the east side of the Cascades which will be in the teens for weeks. We burn the coastal brand of pellets and they burn hot and clean, I used to use a wood stove, but the pellet stove is so much more consistent and there is no more getting up early in the morning to put another log on the fire. We are both in our mid sixties and I don't feel the handling of the bags are a deal breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_063939.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	731713  
fish smacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #9
slickitem
Steelhead

Hey thanx alot folks ...yes i be get a free standing stove, my main source of heat is forced air Gas, so it really dont kill me much at all , its just we have got so accustom to wood heat, it hard to say no to, and i know all about the problem about "no electricity, no heat" but where we live we have lost power before, max has been 45 min, so im not worried about that, I just purchased a
Power Smith PAVC 101 10 Amp Ash Vacuum with Metal Lined Hose, with a Motor Filter, for $59.00 and I must say I didnt even know they made vacuums that can just suck out the ash out of fire places and pellet stoves and BBQ,s, mine can even take out a chunk of coal up to 140 degrees. I run it right in the home no ash traces in the air at all. so again ill be looking at those pellets I know the hard wood pellets are the best and what not, but more spendy, thanx again.
slickitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #10
HalibutZach
Tuna!

We have burned Golden Fire for over 30 years. They burn hot and leave little ash.

I have not tried Packsaddle as they are not sold in my area. I have tried 8-10 other brands and they have always left Lotsa Ash.
HalibutZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
fishbait
King Salmon

Like Goldenfire and Packsaddle, both 40 lbs bags. Bought a few bags at Bimart, burnt clean, also 100 DougFir and 25 lb bags........
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #12
Captain Kirk
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalibutZach View Post
We have burned Golden Fire for over 30 years. They burn hot and leave little ash.

I have not tried Packsaddle as they are not sold in my area. I have tried 8-10 other brands and they have always left Lotsa Ash.

Par Lumber has PackSaddle and so does Pleasant Hill Feed
Old 10-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
Chad D.
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
Par Lumber has PackSaddle and so does Pleasant Hill Feed

Didn’t know about those two sources! Are you talking about the new Parr at 11th & South A?

I’m an old Billie, so I know where the other place is...

I was fortunate enough to have a friend with family ties to Packsaddle. When he was burning pellets for heat, he’d buzz up to the plant and grab a few tons at a time. One for me, and two for him. Think we were just about $200 per at the time. I don’t burn half a ton per year now, as it’s only for ambiance and backup when (non-generator) power is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
Captain Kirk
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad D. View Post
Didn’t know about those two sources! Are you talking about the new Parr at 11th & South A?

I’m an old Billie, so I know where the other place is...

I was fortunate enough to have a friend with family ties to Packsaddle. When he was burning pellets for heat, he’d buzz up to the plant and grab a few tons at a time. One for me, and two for him. Think we were just about $200 per at the time. I don’t burn half a ton per year now, as it’s only for ambiance and backup when (non-generator) power is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the new Par in Springfield has them.