Tuna waste - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
Bafod
Cutthroat

Default Tuna waste

I am glad to see that everyone is catching tuna and having fun. And I dont know if this is the correct forum but I want to ask what would you do? I have been to most of the cleaning stations in the windy bay, empire and charleston. I have seen in my mind way to much waste, not to mention the illegal selling of tuna. So what would you do if you were watching someone clean a tuna by cutting out the top loins and throwing away the rest of the tuna. then cutting out the middle of the loin and throwing away the ends. I tried to talk with one of the groups doing this and was informed to mind my own FN bussiness. Is this common practice? Do you see this at your cleaning stations? Can we do something about this?

Bafod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

Default Re: Tuna waste

I don't have any answers for you, but that stuff bums me out. I can't really stand to go to public cleaning stations anymore based on all the waste I see and more.

With any fish I catch, I use as much as I possibly can. With salmon, I'm keeping everything including collars/necks. Tuna, everything gets used including belly (even if it's for bait). I never harvest more than myself or immediate family can use. It's a big reason why I turned around and went back satisfied with 8 tuna in the box last Thursday. That was plenty for me for that day.

To each their own, I just hope everything is being ethically used and shared.
Bobber Downey Jr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafod View Post
I am glad to see that everyone is catching tuna and having fun. And I dont know if this is the correct forum but I want to ask what would you do? I have been to most of the cleaning stations in the windy bay, empire and charleston. I have seen in my mind way to much waste, not to mention the illegal selling of tuna. So what would you do if you were watching someone clean a tuna by cutting out the top loins and throwing away the rest of the tuna. then cutting out the middle of the loin and throwing away the ends. I tried to talk with one of the groups doing this and was informed to mind my own FN bussiness. Is this common practice? Do you see this at your cleaning stations? Can we do something about this?
It absolutely is not common practice (or at least shouldn't be). I don't use public cleaning stations very often so I don't know for sure though. The people I know use all four loins and use all of them. Why the heck wouldn't you?

Wasting fish is not legal. I'd recommend you call the OSP Tip line 1-800-452-7888.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Dave G
King Halibut

Did you ever think of asking if you could have the carcass for "crab bait"? Then filet it to your liking. Some nationalities think "we" waist all fish. How many times have you seen a halibut filleted to the bone and have a person ask you if they can have the carcass to make a soup out of it.

Dave G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
I’ve never seen that done, but it’s wrong and also illegal. I agree with calling the OSP tip line if you see it again.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
_bent
Chromer

Quote:

Waste sucks but who are you or anyone else to tell someone how to clean their fish and what parts are good or not? I get what you are saying but maybe their response is appropriate. Some folks you simply wont get through to, sucks as it may... Illegal selling of sport caught fish? Call the OSP...
_bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
adrenaline
King Salmon

We can only take care of our own fish, we can't make anybody else. On a personnel note I finally realized I've been wasting Tuna for 16 years, so I started cutting off the collars this year cooking them in the crab boil with the bellies , were gonna smoke some from the last batch too.

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-13-2019 at 01:29 PM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
roosevelt
King Salmon

I would take all of that waste off of their hands.... and happily! I would also give them my number to call me when they go, and give thema hand in exchange for their waste... win win

I always dig through tuna carks when i'm around when they are being cut, either crab bait or fishing bait for later.... i'll do it even after being on the boat for 16hrs tired and ready to go home.... if they left half of the edible tuna, I would be stoked.... I work too much to get the chance to go fun fish for tuna, so most of the tuna I eat is from a friend, or bought.... free at the fillet station would be awesome to me, I love eating it, especially the bottom loins
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bent View Post
Waste sucks but who are you or anyone else to tell someone how to clean their fish and what parts are good or not?

We all can and should speak up when someone is wasting a common resource.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
yeep740
Ifish Nate

It happens in all fisheries. Go down to one of the fish cleaning stations around B10, and see how much wasted salmon there is. A guy could just hang out there for a day and fill his freezer with bellies, collars and back meat. I was tempted after someone posted a pic of all the horribly filleted fish were in the dumpster.

Usually the parts that are left behind are the best!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
gulfstream
Cutthroat

Take their picture and call odfw
gulfstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #12
wdlfbio
Tuna!

If it’s that blatant, seems like clear wanton waste. I’d discuss with them and if they want to be jerks, I’d take pics and let ODFW y’all with them. I can not tolerate waste of our public resources.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #13
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeep740 View Post
It happens in all fisheries. Go down to one of the fish cleaning stations around B10, and see how much wasted salmon there is. A guy could just hang out there for a day and fill his freezer with bellies, collars and back meat. I was tempted after someone posted a pic of all the horribly filleted fish were in the dumpster.

Usually the parts that are left behind are the best!
There's a guy that lives near the ramp in Hammond that has been collecting carcasses for years. He takes people's horrible butcher jobs and salvages hundreds of pounds of meat for his family every year. He literally fills wheel barrow loads of salmon meat on busy weekends.

Most guys at the Hammond cleaning station would be better off throwing away their knives and paying Sturgeon Paul to filet their fish for them.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

As a rule my fish come home to be processed - whatever they are. After filleting I take my small 5" blade and salvage every tiny piece of meat I can get to. That goes into a baggie to be frozen for crab bait unless the woman to whom I'm currently married snags it for fish soup. Very little is 'wasted'. I abhor waste of fish or animal.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
fishorhunt
Steelhead

Interesting that a couple of people have posted basicly not your fish not your problem. I wonder if the same people would say "so what" if it was 6X6 bull being wasted? I am camped at the RV park and walk around all day watching people process their fish. Yes some are just new at it and waste some. BUT in the last 3 weeks I have called the tip line 6 times for people wasting fish including a boat tossing away entire tuna! A young couple asked if they could have them and the boaters replied "we didn't have enough ice for those so they went bad" OSP gave them a bunch of tickets including "improper deposal of carcasses" most of the fishers are very professional about processing, never taking them all out and lining them up on hot pavement for a picture, only a few tuna at a time on cleaning station, lots of ice, keeping everything including guts for bait. It is a pleasure watching them.
fishorhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #16
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

While we're on the topic:

At this point in the season I'm usually overloaded with crab bait. We do fish soup and all that, but at some point, we just can't use all the carcasses. Anyone know a good source for getting rid of our carcasses in a manner that would get them used? I suppose I can always post "free crab bait" ads, but that would get old after a while I'm sure.
Bobber Downey Jr. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #17
Chass
Sturgeon

What I don't understand is why anyone would leave the lower loins?! Those are the BEST on the BBQ! I'm cooking some tonight. They have a higher fat content and q up beautifully. Idiots.

But, other than leaving whole loins, choosing not to use the carcass is fishers choice. That doesn't bother me a bit. That's how it goes IMO. I use a lot of our by product but I don't expect everyone to. Some just don't know better but if they take the fillets, I'm happy.

Halibut Carcass tacos are very popular at my place! Same with bbq Salmon collars and halibut head stew. But honestly, I can't use the carcasses of everything I catch so what I don't use gets buried in the garden or fed to the pigs. Who knew pigs LOVE tuna carcasses! They absolutely devoured them!!!

Chass
ct
Old 08-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #18
messmaker
Coho

Quote:
Definitely report them to ODFW. The good time that we have now will be ruined by people such as you described. I get we don’t use as much of the fish as some other cultures do, but we are not even in the same league with wasting over half the best meat on the fish. OUR RESOUCE is far too important to let the few slobs and fools waste it.
messmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #19
SharkTank
Chromer

Unfortunately my Mrs saw tuna carks at Newport with only top loins off. I have to admit, I cleaned my tuna Friday evening and kept the carks for crab bait in a bucket. When I went to bait the pots Saturday I found a peanut with the left side loins still on the cark...my bad and don’t know how it happened. It did yield several crabs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eric, Suzy-Q (NR Seahawk OS 2700)
SharkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #20
Reel fortunate
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkTank View Post
Unfortunately my Mrs saw tuna carks at Newport with only top loins off. I have to admit, I cleaned my tuna Friday evening and kept the carks for crab bait in a bucket. When I went to bait the pots Saturday I found a peanut with the left side loins still on the cark...my bad and don’️t know how it happened. It did yield several crabs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Unintentional and intentional are too way different things in my book.... stuff happens when there's lots to do.

Throwing it away because you want the top quality and not the lesser quality doesn't fly . Like eating pinchers off of crab and trowing the rest Away..

23x84 HT, Raider Coastal
Reel fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #21
Salty Walty
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post

No excuse for wanton waste it is all of our business.

Call the OSP Tip line 1-800-452-7888
Salty Walty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #22
Pacific Fisher
Chromer

Sometimes when a lot of salmon are being brought in, I volunteer to fillet them in exchange for collars and bellies.

Craig Bell
Pacific Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #23
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Walty View Post
No excuse for wanton waste it is all of our business.

Call the OSP Tip line 1-800-452-7888
Spot on. Its called Wanton waste. It has a legal definition and is against the law.

But as other have said. I have Asian friends that think I throw the best part of the salmon away when I put the heads in my crab bait bags.

No excuse for not taking top and bottom loins
Old 08-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #24
adrenaline
King Salmon

It's clear "waste" has a different meaning to the individual, I don't care how good you are with a knife, or how long you take, nobody gets all the meat off the carcass, if you toss the carcass in the dumpster is it waste?, ok you took your time & got all the meat you could off the carcass, cut off the collars, & bellies too, what about the meat in the head that is nearly impossible to get to with a knife?, do you have to cook the head in a soup to not be considered waste?, ok so you decide any waste needs to be reported, do you report yourself? cause come on most of us waste some weather you admit it or not.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #25
fishorhunt
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
It's clear "waste" has a different meaning to the individual, I don't care how good you are with a knife, or how long you take, nobody gets all the meat off the carcass, if you toss the carcass in the dumpster is it waste?, ok you took your time & got all the meat you could off the carcass, cut off the collars, & bellies too, what about the meat in the head that is nearly impossible to get to with a knife?, do you have to cook the head in a soup to not be considered waste?, ok so you decide any waste needs to be reported, do you report yourself? cause come on most of us waste some weather you admit it or not.
This post is confusing, it was clearly stated that entire loins we're being thrown away not just imperfect processing. It was clearly stated several times that not everyone can get everything they should but at least they try. Are you against reporting people for wanton waste? It's clear that "waste" should be reported.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #26
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishorhunt View Post
This post is confusing, it was clearly stated that entire loins we're being thrown away not just imperfect processing. It was clearly stated several times that not everyone can get everything they should but at least they try. Are you against reporting people for wanton waste? It's clear that "waste" should be reported.
Yes the OP reported entire loins were being thrown away, & yes I do consider that alleged excessive waste, because I was not there, it's here say to everybody that was not there, I never personally witnessed that kind excessive waste, I did witness a boat that came in with a bunch of Tuna that were not iced down, don't know if they were wasted or not, but that could not be good, I did not report them to the authorities, but did report it on IFISH, which was read by the offender, & changes were made afterwards, this was a newbie that perhaps just did not know better?, he became a guide, & I'm sure all Tuna were iced down properly. All I'm saying is it's up the individual to decide what they want to keep & what they don't want to keep, not you, not me, not the OP, because there is no set rule of what part of a fish is considered waste, or a set rule of what % is considered waste, nobody is perfect, we all waste to some degree, here's another example, skin, few if any keep the skin of any fish, yet it is edible, another example in addition to skin is halibut bellies, & heads very few if any keep the bellies, & heads yet they are edible, so tell me where do we draw the line of what is waste, what is excessive waste, & what % of waste should be reported to the authorities.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #27
Chass
Sturgeon

Quote:
Yes the OP reported entire loins were being thrown away, & yes I do consider that alleged excessive waste, because I was not there, it's here say to everybody that was not there, I never personally witnessed that kind excessive waste, I did witness a boat that came in with a bunch of Tuna that were not iced down, don't know if they were wasted or not, but that could not be good, I did not report them to the authorities, but did report it on IFISH, which was read by the offender, & changes were made afterwards, this was a newbie that perhaps just did not know better?, he became a guide, & I'm sure all Tuna were iced down properly. All I'm saying is it's up the individual to decide what they want to keep & what they don't want to keep, not you, not me, not the OP, because there is no set rule of what part of a fish is considered waste, or a set rule of what % is considered waste, nobody is perfect, we all waste to some degree, here's another example, skin, few if any keep the skin of any fish, yet it is edible, another example in addition to skin is halibut bellies, & heads very few if any keep the bellies, & heads yet they are edible, so tell me where do we draw the line of what is waste, what is excessive waste, & what % of waste should be reported to the authorities.
I'll bite. I draw the line crystal clear at throwing tuna away with whole loins intact. Same would go for any fish. If a person doesn't take the fillets off one side of a halibut because they know the white side is a tiny bit thinner, I'll judge them just the same as I judge the guy who left bottom loins on the tuna. Throwing out collars, bellies, heads etc are all forgivable (and normal I might add). Whole loins or fillets are not.

There, I drew the line! Call me judgmental.

Sorry Ken, I guess we get to agree to disagree on this one I'm pretty forgiving normally but the described actions are egregious faults IMO.

Chass
ct
Old 08-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #28
Sea Beast
Steelhead

This might be taking it to the extreme,but I remarried to a wonderful lady who has three dogs. When canning tuna I now chop off the head and tail chop up the rest of the carcass can it in quart jars along with the blood meat and any scraps for the dogs. They love it mixed with thier dog food.

I totally agree to taking there picture, along with there license plate. Of course I always pack heat. Taking a gun to a knife fight is always a plus. I pack it and hope I never have to use it.
Sea Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #29
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass View Post
I'll bite. I draw the line crystal clear at throwing tuna away with whole loins intact. Same would go for any fish. If a person doesn't take the fillets off one side of a halibut because they know the white side is a tiny bit thinner, I'll judge them just the same as I judge the guy who left bottom loins on the tuna. Throwing out collars, bellies, heads etc are all forgivable (and normal I might add). Whole loins or fillets are not.

There, I drew the line! Call me judgmental.

Sorry Ken, I guess we get to agree to disagree on this one I'm pretty forgiving normally but the described actions are egregious faults IMO.

Chass
ct
Actually we are in agreement for the most part, as I said I do consider whole loins not just a waste, but an excessive waste, white side of a Halibut too, still none of the IFISH police get to make the call at a enforcement level of what is waste, what is excessive waste, & what warrants a fine, & or penalty, & or jail sentence, only your non pro opinion of what waste is, you can report it to the pro's, but I doubt it will go anywhere, but hey don't just take my word for it, why don't one of you IFISH police call the pros & ask about the alleged waste, & report back to us, so we all know where the pros stand on this issue. I will add, I have no reason to doubt what the OP witnessed, but I don't do hear say, neither do the authorities, only the actual witness(s) can report this.

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-14-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #30
Puffin
Sturgeon

I have a very definite answer report Wastefull practices to your local authorities you will have a Leo there in no time wasted game is a violation of the law when I see poaching or missuse I definitely report it this summer up in Sequim people were loading 5 gallon buckets of oysters in the car. you’re allowed about a dozen and a half and must be shucked on the beach I definitely called the authorities and followed up this is your resource protect it
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #31
_bent
Chromer

Quote:

What a person does with his or her catch is their business. Wanton waste and illegal sales of sport caught fish aside. Point is, why waste your time on someone that is going to tell you to FO? Move along, don't waste your breath and by all means call the authorities.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #32
_bent
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
I have a very definite answer report Wastefull practices to your local authorities you will have a Leo there in no time wasted game is a violation of the law when I see poaching or missuse I definitely report it this summer up in Sequim people were loading 5 gallon buckets of oysters in the car. you’re allowed about a dozen and a half and must be shucked on the beach I definitely called the authorities and followed up this is your resource protect it

This is an example of egregious conduct, unlike not cutting out say a cheek or tossing some questionable belly meat. Approaching with a positive attitude rather than say verbally attacking someone based on your interpretation of the law is a poor choice.

Puffin, where in Sequim were you? Just curious... I live in Sequim and have seen some silly stuff but nothing on the level of multiple 5gal buckets of oysters... that is pretty bad...
Old 08-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #33
fishorhunt
Steelhead

Quote:

Actually we are in agreement for the most part, as I said I do consider whole loins not just a waste, but an excessive waste, white side of a Halibut too, still none of the IFISH police get to make the call at a enforcement level of what is waste, what is excessive waste, & what warrants a fine, & or penalty, & or jail sentence, only your non pro opinion of what waste is, you can report it to the pro's, but I doubt it will go anywhere, but hey don't just take my word for it, why don't one of you IFISH police call the pros & ask about the alleged waste, & report back to us, so we all know where the pros stand on this issue. I will add, I have no reason to doubt what the OP witnessed, but I don't do hear say, neither do the authorities, only the actual witness(s) can report this.
Twice you mention the "ifish police" I now understand where you are coming from. But as I said I have reported people 6 times and have watched every time tickets are written so I guess my opinion of waste is the same as the pros. Well at least the same as the OSP.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:52 PM   #34
garyk
King Salmon

It is written....

Wasting TUNA bellies is a sin against God.

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #35
adrenaline
King Salmon

Straight out of the ODFW 2019 fishing regulations- General Restrictions- the following activities are unlawful...13. wasting fish...not specific of what wasting fish is, am I missing something? maybe the IFISH police will interpret something that is not specific, but I won't, so FoH exactly what wasting(s) did you report?, & whom were the SP, so we can get their interpretation of the law, & how they came up with that unclear interpretation, sorry FoH your interpretation has no legal authority what so ever.
Another question for the IFISH police, so you cleaned all you fish, cut out every scrap possible, brought the head & carcass home with skin attached to cook in a soup, served it to your family, but they rejected it, & tossed it in the trash, is this wasting fish?.

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #36
panheadsully
Steelhead

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. The typical way man functions is to deplete every resource possible and then wonder why there are no resources left. 😂😂😂
panheadsully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #37
fishorhunt
Steelhead

Quote:
Straight out of the ODFW 2019 fishing regulations- General Restrictions- the following activities are unlawful...13. wasting fish...not specific of what wasting fish is, am I missing something? maybe the IFISH police will interpret something that is not specific, but I won't, so FoH exactly what wasting(s) did you report?, & whom were the SP, so we can get their interpretation of the law, & how they came up with that unclear interpretation, sorry FoH your interpretation has no legal authority what so ever. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/flowerred.gif[/IMG]
Another question for the IFISH police, so you cleaned all you fish, cut out every scrap possible, brought the head & carcass home with skin attached to cook in a soup, served it to your family, but they rejected it, & tossed it in the trash, is this wasting fish?.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/flowerred.gif[/IMG]
Thou doth protest too much.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #38
Chesapeake
King Salmon

Quote:
Straight out of the ODFW 2019 fishing regulations- General Restrictions- the following activities are unlawful...13. wasting fish...not specific of what wasting fish is, am I missing something? maybe the IFISH police will interpret something that is not specific, but I won't, so FoH exactly what wasting(s) did you report?, & whom were the SP, so we can get their interpretation of the law, & how they came up with that unclear interpretation, sorry FoH your interpretation has no legal authority what so ever.
Another question for the IFISH police, so you cleaned all you fish, cut out every scrap possible, brought the head & carcass home with skin attached to cook in a soup, served it to your family, but they rejected it, & tossed it in the trash, is this wasting fish?.

All you've done in this thread is talk in circles and throw out derogatory terms.
I'm pretty sure folks are aware they aren't the Judge and Jury, but maybe you should point that out one more time for us all.

Are you just having a bad day, or do you have some bad history with waste of fish and game?
You sure seem to have your panties in a wad over this one for some reason.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #39
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Like many ODFW rules/regs, the meaning is whatever a judge says it is. LE can write it up if they think it is a violation, but the judge is the final decider. Up to that point, everyone can can assign their own judgement. Don't mean nuthin'.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #40
adrenaline
King Salmon

Sorry about the perceived derogatory remarks , it was not my intentions, but not very tactful on my part either.

Look all I'm saying is the law is not specific, we all waste to some degree, hopefully not excessive, full loins is an excessive waste IMO, but that's just my opinion, now I like Tuna & Salmon, & Steelhead bellies, always have, always liked Salmon, & Steelhead collars as well, & now Tuna collars are on my like list, no more wasted Tuna collars in the future from me, however like said it's common practice for many to toss Salmon, Steelhead, & Tuna bellies, & collars, seems like a waste to me, but does not warrent a ticket IMO, the full loins I just don't know. I'm gonna take the time to call ODFW, & OSP maybe tomorrow & report back what they say.

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-14-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #41
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
Like many ODFW rules/regs, the meaning is whatever a judge says it is. LE can write it up if they think it is a violation, but the judge is the final decider. Up to that point, everyone can can assign their own judgement. Don't mean nuthin'.
Yep, OSP may write a ticket, & a judge may throw it out.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #42
adrenaline
King Salmon

Talked to ODFW, & OSP report game violations hot line this morning, they did not have a definitive legal answer cause the law is so vague, but in both their opinions if roughly 1/2 a fish is wasted that would be a violation, both said leaving the bottom loins would be a violation in their opinion, also said to take pictures & report it, but it's up to the officer on site to make the violation determination.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #43
boatman
Tuna!

[email protected] DOES not enforce the law, or write volictions
boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #44
Chass
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
[email protected] DOES not enforce the law, or write volictions
Correct. In fact, I've rarely even seen them call OSP who does enforce the law and write Violations. I've been caught with accidents a few times and in all cases the ODFW checker explained the mistake I had made and sent me on my way. I never made those mistakes again. Things like improperly IDed orange fish and salmon in my early days fishing the Pacific.

I've always had great interactions with ODFW employees and OSP for the most part. OSP is generally a little more difficult but I think it's the nature of their job.

Chass
ct
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #45
Harms Way
Coho

The scavengers around the cleaning stations are a double edge sword. Its great to see them making use of others waste, however I've seen some pretty aggressive grabbing of carcases when guys were milling around with their coolers and weren't necessarily done with the carcs.
Harms Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #46
Bafod
Cutthroat

Maybe a thought would to to contact the local food bank to see if they would be willing to post a flier at the cleaning station telling fishermen that if they had more than what they wanted to deal with to call them and they would have someone come out to pick up the half cleaned or just extra catch of not just tuna but all that we harvest from the water. probably would not feesable but we need to do something. Cutting just the top 2 loins out of a tuna and throwing away the rest is not acceptable in my book.

And I did contact OSP on their tip line.

thanks for the responses
Bafod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #47
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

A limit of 25 tuna is a little extreme IMO. I think this produces greed with the idea if the bite is hot and heavy why not keep catching. What about just 10 or 15 tuna. That would be enough for me but I am sure there are others out there that think 25 is a good number, you know feed the family, friends, neighbors, food banks, strangers on the street.

And do you plan on keeping 25 of any of these. Offshore Pelagic Species: Includes all tuna and mackerel species, swordfish, billfish, jacks (family Carangidae), opah, dorado, pomfret, and all sharks except leopard shark, spiny dogfish, and soupfin shark.
25 opah, now how do you catch them, 25 blue sharks that's funny.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #48
Harms Way
Coho

25 PP is too much work for one trip IMHO.
Harms Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #49
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller View Post
A limit of 25 tuna is a little extreme IMO. I think this produces greed with the idea if the bite is hot and heavy why not keep catching. What about just 10 or 15 tuna. That would be enough for me but I am sure there are others out there that think 25 is a good number, you know feed the family, friends, neighbors, food banks, strangers on the street.

And do you plan on keeping 25 of any of these. Offshore Pelagic Species: Includes all tuna and mackerel species, swordfish, billfish, jacks (family Carangidae), opah, dorado, pomfret, and all sharks except leopard shark, spiny dogfish, and soupfin shark.
Any reduction should be science based, not emotion based. I would prefer to get the tuna I need in as few of trips as possible. As far as I'm aware, us sport albacore fishermen are a blip on the radar when it comes to albacore harvest.

Simply enforce the existing rules about waste and only catch what you can eat. The good news is that from a couple posts I've read, it sounds like osp is willing to come out and write citations based upon tip line calls.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #50
adrenaline
King Salmon

We try to get 25 fish per person limits every time because of the time, money, & fuel it takes to go Tuna fishing, that way it takes less trips to get our annual needs, but than that's our goal with all fishing we do, for the same reasons, never got full boat limits of Tuna yet, boat would not hold that many fish anyway, would be nice to get it done in 1 trip tho, somehow we always get all we, & my regular crew needs, which was only 3 trips this year, the least amount of trips we've done in 17 seasons, any more & I would have to give it away, my boss & a couple neighbors are the only ones that got any Tuna, & Salmon this year, also a low in 17 seasons, I took my brother, wife, kid & grand kid out twice for Tuna, 3 times for Salmon, & my brother & myself went out with Shake & Bake on a fun trip, not a meat trip, I kept 4 Tuna our last day Sun, cause we went over what my brother & his family could use, as it's so easy to loose track of your fish during a hot Tuna bite, gave away 1 to my regular crew member for a fresh Tuna meal for his family, & we had fresh Tuna twice this week , altho I agree 25 Tuna is a bit liberal, I also agree any reduction should be science based, we know people are wasting & or selling Tuna, still those of us playing by the rules should not be punished for others actions.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #51
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

If you kill it, you eat it....

I have released numerous coho that I am pretty damn sure didn’t survive.
Oh, that’s right.....we are required to by law.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #52
Chass
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller View Post

Two of us recently got 50. My crew member only wanted 5 so I had 45 to deal with on my own. I called in support and we got them all carked the next day. I canned and canned over the next 3 days with two canners going non stop. It all got processed and I shared a good bit with the help. No problem using it all and we got limits. I also knew that this would probably be my one tuna trip this year. Life gets in the way.

Not everyone has those resources though . . .

Chass
ct

Last edited by Chass; 08-16-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Chass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #53
yeep740
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass View Post
Two of us recently got 50. My crew member only wanted 5 so I had 45 to deal with on my own. I called in support and we got them all carked the next day. I canned and canned over the next 3 days with two canners going non stop. It all got processed and I shared a good bit with the help. No problem using it all and we got limits. I also knew that this would probably be my one tuna trip this year. Life gets in the way.

Not everyone has those resources though . . .

Chass
ct
Holy S**T, 45 tuna for one person! That is a mountain of meat!! I would be up for the challenge!!! But damn that would be a long couple days!
Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #54
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
It is written....

Wasting TUNA bellies is a sin against God.
True, But if I see anybody not taking their bellies, I'm not calling the cops because I'm too busy taking their tuna bellies.
Root Hog or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #55
pugbuddy
Steelhead

Watched a dozen Youtube video's on carking albacore and not one did anything with the collar. And tips for me? Also I'm guessing the belly goes stomach lining side down in the smoker.
pugbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #56
FireHead
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I agree.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #57
deptrai
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
Also I'm guessing the belly goes stomach lining side down in the smoker.
Skin side down on the BBQ.
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:22 AM   #58
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

I BBQ'd up some bellies my first time eating them. A little marinade over night and then the Q. Very good some for bait and others to be smoked and BBQ'd from now on. Our tuna carcass's go to crab bait and some collars go to my Japanese friend. Try not to waste anything.