Water was 70F today out of Depoe - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Default Water was 70F today out of Depoe

Water outside of Depoe Bay was 70F today, captain said it was the highest he's seen, less than 30 miles out.

Just did 2 trips yesterday and today, yesterday out of Garibaldi and got 48 tuna in the boat, went again this morning out of Depoe Bay and got 67 in the boat, lost more than a dozen each day to snafu's and the prop lol. Was on cattle boat charters, wasn't greedy we each got a handful of fish each day. Deck hand accidentally dropped one in the water back at the dock during offloading, crabs are eating well tonight.

At one point today we had 9 hit on troll simultaneously and got 2 more on spinners for a total of 11 fish on at the same time and landed all of them. It was epic.

We didn't even find the fish for a while, just plucking one or two here and there for a couple hours, then saw birds and jumpers, got the 11 fish hookup and spent the rest of the day circling around it hooking up fish then casting with swimbaits and jigs while fish were being landed.

I caught a small bluefin again today. Got to take it home too didn't have to share. Last week we got one first fish of the day, today it was around the 45th fish.

Last edited by leefromseattle; 08-14-2019 at 10:37 PM.
leefromseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
No Reservations
Tuna!

Default Re: Water was 70F today out of Depoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefromseattle View Post
Water outside of Depoe Bay was 70F today, captain said it was the highest he's seen, less than 30 miles out.

Just did 2 trips yesterday and today, yesterday out of Garibaldi and got 48 tuna in the boat, went again this morning out of Depoe Bay and got 67 in the boat, lost more than a dozen each day to snafu's and the prop lol. Was on cattle boat charters, wasn't greedy we each got a handful of fish each day. Deck hand accidentally dropped one in the water back at the dock during offloading, crabs are eating well tonight.

At one point today we had 9 hit on troll simultaneously and got 2 more on spinners for a total of 11 fish on at the same time and landed all of them. It was epic.

We didn't even find the fish for a while, just plucking one or two here and there for a couple hours, then saw birds and jumpers, got the 11 fish hookup and spent the rest of the day circling around it hooking up fish then casting with swimbaits and jigs while fish were being landed.

I caught a small bluefin again today. Got to take it home too didn't have to share. Last week we got one first fish of the day, today it was around the 45th fish.

Any ideas which direction you went or a general area? I’m headed out in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:49 AM   #3
No Reservations
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post
Any ideas which direction you went or a general area? I’m headed out in the morning.

We’re headed out of newport

No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Wow. The water temp sounds like when I used to dive in La Jolla cove Cali.
Just beautiful.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

70*? Did you take a bar of soap and a towel?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
NorthPlainsDrifter
Chromer

Which charter out of Garibaldi, I'm supposed to go tomorrow if the ocean doesn't get to bad.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
NorthPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post

Crap sorry I just woke up, we went straight out, and a little north.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPlainsDrifter View Post
Which charter out of Garibaldi, I'm supposed to go tomorrow if the ocean doesn't get to bad.

Garibaldi charters, but they have 2 boats, the Northwester was the better of the 2 (went on both).
Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The marlin and Dodo bite should pick up. Maybe a Wahoo will show in the catch. Get out the wire leaders.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
NorthPlainsDrifter
Chromer

Ugh, they just cancelled the trip!

NorthPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
70*? Did you take a bar of soap and a towel?
Took a towel. But the kelp scrubbed pretty well.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
the-next-one
Steelhead

Quote:

Sounds like 2 fantastic days! I have only seen that many fish hooked up once before and they were all live bait. It was a rail fiasco but fortunately everyone know what they were doing so it was pretty smooth.

Who did you fish with? Would you fish with them again? Full size boat or 6-pack?
I fished on a "cattle boat" charter recently for silvers and you couldn't pay me to fish tuna with these guys.

Feel free to pm if you'd rather! Thank You!
the-next-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #13
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-next-one View Post
Sounds like 2 fantastic days! I have only seen that many fish hooked up once before and they were all live bait. It was a rail fiasco but fortunately everyone know what they were doing so it was pretty smooth.

Who did you fish with? Would you fish with them again? Full size boat or 6-pack?
I fished on a "cattle boat" charter recently for silvers and you couldn't pay me to fish tuna with these guys.

Feel free to pm if you'd rather! Thank You!
I went on 3 different boats, first had 6 people(D&D), second had 10 (Northwester), third had 15 (Tacklebuster).

The 10 person on the Northwester was the best, out of Garibaldi, $325/person with only 1 deck hand and it was up to everyone to set rods for trolling and clear them. Half the fun was getting hit while you were putting out lures before you got the line all the way out, those are memorable experiences imo and even kids were getting hooked up before they got the line all the way out. It went 35 miles which was a lot further than the other two boats, more time traveling but more intense fishing while you were out. I'd definitely go with them again as my first choice. The captain was great, going fast, slow, etc trying to generate bites, when we hooked up we'd stop, clear lines, start casting, he made a lot of effort chumming to try to get fish up and I caught some on anchovies which was more exciting than trolling. You spent a lot of time doing stuff rather than watching on that boat. We passed jumping tuna on the way out and they said if we stopped there it could ruin the day chasing a small school so took us way out.

The 15 person one was less hands on, boat was Tacklebuster out of Depoe Bay, $260/person, they had 4 deck hands that controlled all the trolling rods, wasn't as fun but they put out 15 rods trolling, with outriggers, instead of 5 on the other 2 boats. When something hit on the troll it was up to you to grab a spinning rod and start casting but other than that it was mostly the deck hands connecting fish, and they didn't stop the boat, just kept moving the entire time in gear. We only went out a little more than an hour, spent more time finding a school of fish but with so many lines out they still got a lot of fish, but so many people...15 customers and 4 deck hands.

The D&D was a newer captain, smallest boat, $325/person, didn't go as far out, took longer to get there, and they turned in early. Captain was newer and they were scared they'd be in trouble being longer than 12 hours, but ended up being out only 10 hours instead of 12. I'm sure they'll work it out but the Northwester was a lot better, both are under the same charter company in Garibaldi.

Last edited by leefromseattle; 08-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:

that was a fun trip! you guys were a good crew glad you were able to keep your BF, that was a cool surprise..... hope to see you guys on the boat again.

we were back at 10:30ish with our 20 halibut today, then back to long fins the next 2 days..... can only hope we have a savvy crew like you guys were.... the last little final grind before i'm chasing elk with my recurve next weekend.... hope the tuna bite the next couple days!

that water temp was crazy! I have a little video clip of that 11 fish on clatter, if you want it, message me and i'll figure out a way to send it to you, that was some fun chaos, and amazing we got all 11
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #15
stevec
Fry

Quote:

Sounds like an awesome time. I'm headed outfor tuna tomorrow from Depoe Bay hope its the same captain!
stevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #16
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec View Post
Sounds like an awesome time. I'm headed outfor tuna tomorrow from Depoe Bay hope its the same captain!
you know what boat? there are 2 of us going..... if it's anything like today, it's gonna be some fun chaos

regardless who you go with, you are in for a good day!
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote